Angry Phuket residents in ‘no water’ protest

webfact

Angry Phuket residents in ‘no water’ protest
Darawan Naknakhon

1405935066_1-org.jpg
Outnumbered: water official Phichet Chonlayut (in uniform) listens to the villagers' complaint.

PHUKET: -- Fifty residents of the Saiyuan Med Village development went to the Phuket Provincial Water Supply (PWS) office this morning (July 21) to complain that they have had no water for two months.

Prawit Wiriyanora-anan, managing director of Phuket Sunshine Property Partnership led the residents to deliver a protest letter to PWS director Phichet Chonlayut.

Mr Prawit said, “Fifty-five homes have had a water problem for more than two months. When villagers told PWS officials about this, there was no solution.” This, he said, was because the officials had not taken the problem seriously.

“All the villagers want the PWS to explain why they are getting no water and for all relevant officials to sign a written pledge that they will fix the water pipes which always have problems.” He also said villagers had been receiving water bills even though they were getting no water.

Mr Prawit added, “If officials take no action, we will take our complaint to higher authorities.” After receiving the complains, Mr Phichet said, “We have been trying to fix this problem ever since we got the intial reports about two months ago. We will redouble our efforts.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/angry-phuket-residents-in-%E2%80%98no-water%E2%80%99-protest-47444.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-21

our town (Rawai) water is at a trickle most weekends,

almost like they close the taps when they go home on Fridays...hmmmmmm

Trucked water sucks....

dirty Tin mine untreated stuff I think...

always leaves dusty residue all around bath, the dishes, not to metion what it does to my hair....

Things like this and un-reliable electric service piss me off...

Edited by glassdude007

Life must be miserable if you can't flush toilets, or take a shower.

When it comes to basics like water, electricity and rubbish collection, it seems Rawai is the worst place on the island.

But hey we have some great new flood lights around the place so we can see the rubbish all over the place any time day or night.

• Like 1

It apparently took one hour after the protest to get their water back on. Seems like the valve was closed for water rationing a while back & the water dept simply forgot to turn it back on.

"the valve was closed for water rationing" - more like the valve was closed for water carting. :)

• Like 1

When it comes to basics like water, electricity and rubbish collection, it seems Rawai is the worst place on the island.

Not sure Rawai qualifies as the worst place on the island, have to think more on that one a bit....

Chalong is not the beautiful village it was years ago either, lots of drug trafficking, contract killings, crime after dark (mostly off duty cops on the piss singing Karaoke at 4am)

and the traffic sucks there, Not to mention the polluted unusable for anything but boat trrafic Chalong Bay and the congested with mini vans roads around it...

Will they ever fix the road near the Chalong Light house(empty) restaurant near boat ramp where somebody drone over it where the cement was still wet messed up the whole Road years ago.

man that road sucks and its main tourist beach road in Chalong.

So if Rawai is wort place on the island Chalong can not be far behind.IMHO

as for Rawai..

No worries flushing the crapper as that's about all the trucked in water is used for,

electric is a Island wide problem not just Rawai,

Our trash is collected often except on Thai holidays not really an issue here,

The crime after dark and the murder rate here for such a small place like Rawai is a concern as well..

Not sure Rawai qualifies as the worst place on the island, have to think more on that one a bit....

Chalong is not the beautiful village it was years ago either, lots of drug trafficking, contract killings, crime after dark (mostly off duty cops on the piss singing Karaoke at 4am)

and the traffic sucks there, Not to mention the polluted unusable for anything but boat trrafic Chalong Bay and the congested with mini vans roads around it...

Will they ever fix the road near the Chalong Light house(empty) restaurant near boat ramp where somebody drone over it where the cement was still wet messed up the whole Road years ago.

man that road sucks and its main tourist beach road in Chalong.

So if Rawai is wort place on the island Chalong can not be far behind.IMHO

as for Rawai..

No worries flushing the crapper as that's about all the trucked in water is used for,

electric is a Island wide problem not just Rawai,

Our trash is collected often except on Thai holidays not really an issue here,

The crime after dark and the murder rate here for such a small place like Rawai is a concern as well..

I'm talking about services supplied by the local government and government agencies only. You are talking about something entirely different.

Always reading about power cuts in Rawai, yet, no cuts in Chalong.

The rubbish collection truck comes once every two days.

I don't see piles of rubbish dumped by the side of the road that stays there long. Check just before the road that goes to the paradise bar about 10 metres from the Rawai OrBorTor. Crap that's been there ages.

Never heard of government water going off in Chalong, either, though, I suspect most people here don't rely on it as Chalong is a sweet spot on the island for well-water.

Edited by KarenBravo

Must be 2 Chalongs on Phuket

When we lived there it was not unusual to have no power, water or Internet

Must be. I hardly ever have problems with electric. Roadside plants regularly cut and two old ladies on a salaeng with work-vests sweeping the streets. But then, the OrBorTor isn't far away and a few ex-OrBorTor members live in the soi.

Soon as a street-light bulb blows, it's replaced on the next working day. Even have workers come and trim the trees if they start getting too close to electrical wires

Chalong is a big area, I can only say what it's like locally. We're looked after very well where I am.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1