First Samui Road Safety Meeting takes place in Maenam

webfact

First Samui Road Safety Meeting takes place in Maenam

RAK-1.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- On Saturday the 19th of July the first road safety campaign meeting took place at 5pm at the Café Talay in Maenam. Many concerned residents went along to formally identify the problems faced by drivers in Koh Samui and attempt to come up with some long term solutions.

The group, who have informally named themselves RAK – Road Safety Kampaign started off by documenting what they see as the problems in Samui.

Reasons for the current accident rates

Traffic regulations

Koh Samui traffic rules are only occasionally implemented by the police. Many drivers ignore or do not know basic traffic rules. Most common are the following aspects:

Drivers on motorbikes do not wear helmets

Driving without a licence

Driving without insurance

Driving vehicles without of lights

Young children driving motorbikes

Drunk driving

Speeding

Drug Abuse

Ignoring red traffic lights

Drivers using mobiles phones while they are driving

Single handed driving on motorbikes while holding a child in the other

Driving out of a junction without looking for oncoming traffic

Driving on the wrong side of the road

Overtaking in populated areas, at high speed and without of respect for turning vehicles

Parking vehicles in no parking areas and close to junctions

Education

Tourists as well as many locals are not aware of the dangers of driving on Samui. They are unprepared and underestimate the level of attention that is required to drive safely on the Island.

Lack of traffic-education in the local community

Misunderstanding the meaning of flashing headlights

Inexperience of tourists on the roads

Road Conditions

Many accidents happen due to the road conditions on Samui.

Heavy vehicles are causing severe damage, as their respective weight does not match the quality of the roads.

Potholes and uncovered drainage systems contribute to drivers losing control of their vehicles, same as:

Insufficient streetlights and road marks

Sand and various objects on the road

Uneven drain levels

Dogs running onto the road

Severe road damages especially in the north of the island

Public Transport

It is – especially at night time – difficult, if not impossible, to hire a taxi at reasonable rates, which promotes drunk driving.

Public transport insufficient

Taxis at proper rates are not available

Ideas then turned to possible solutions

Traffic regulations

Fashionable helmets for kids

Bike rental quality check

Round the clock traffic controls by the police and civil officers

Speed guns for the police

Reward system for minibus drivers who drive carefully

Education

Information for tourists: safety cards and information flyers

Stickers with emergency numbers for tourists

Stickers with emergency numbers at the doors of every 7eleven or Family Mart on the island

Education on driving safely in schools for children and their parents

Road Conditions

Speed bumps

Installation and maintenance of traffic lights at notoriously dangerous spots

Finish building the new ring road

Improvement of streetlights and clearly marked roads

Regular street cleaning and removal of possible hazards

Public Transport

Enforcement of using taxi metres

Free transport for children

Voucher system for hotels: Transport vouchers

Minibus service around the island

No unlimited influx of private vehicles on the island

And finally a to do list was drawn up called What can we do?

Pressure on the authorities – public campaign

We plan to run a public campaign in various newspapers and online portals.

The Samui Times and Der Farang will publish articles on the problem.

Further steps:

Convince the Samui Channel and Bangkok Airways to cooperate.

Contact various hotels to support and sponsor the campaign – List of recommended places and free advertisement.

Contact the major, the police, the tourist police, Samui Rescue and TAC. We would appreciate, if some representatives would attend one of our meetings in the near future and share their ideas with us.

Information and education

We will create flyers and safety cards for tourists in English, Russian and German. Other languages are to follow.

A special Facebook page will be set up in order to provide information about Samui roads and to collect evidence on accidents.

Further steps:

Design and production of stickers containing emergency numbers for mobile phones and the local convenience stores.

We want to create a logo for the campaign and agreed, that the name and the logo need to be clear and understandable both for Pharangs and Thais. The name will be “RAK – Road Awareness Kampaign”

“Rak” is the Thai word for “to love”. We agreed that it is easy to memorize, which is essential for the success of the campaign within the Thai community. There is a spelling mistake in the word “Campaign”. This was done on purpose, as in our opinion a “k” is more catchy than a “c” concerning visual aspects.

We thought that it might be a good idea to connect the word “RAK” to the image of a heart.

The Next meeting of RAK will take place on Saturday the 2nd of August at 2pm at Café Talay in Maenam, everybody is welcome to join.

xstimes.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EXTclkoej2.webp
-- Samui Times 2014-07-21

• Like 1

In other words, zero in the way of law and order. Some of the most incompetent police in the world work on Samui. No traffic safety. One of the highest fatality rates per capita, in the ENTIRE world. This meeting is a good thing. It is long overdue. But, how do you implement it, without police involvement? How do you get completely incompetent police to start enforcing the law, without regard to cash collection? Are these guys even trainable, or do they need to completely retrain, or dismantle the entire force, and start from scratch, with mainland police. Something needs to be done. Drastically. How do you turn revenue collection agents into policemen?

It is unfair to the tourists that come to Samui expecting that they will remain in civilization, only to find an island that has been completely abandoned by both the Surat Thani and the central government, and completely controlled by the local mafia, who love to collect cash. But they despise giving anything in return, nor improving their Island on any level. We are talking about several vampire families that are super rich, and have nothing in the way of compassion, pride, intelligence, or vision. They should be arrested and jailed for life. Or deported. Not allowed to continue to rule the island, destroy the island, prevent improvement, or continue sucking blood. Someone needs to take control. Samui has been out of control for years now. This is the Wild, Wild West of Thailand. Will the Junta step in? Thousands of people sincerely hope so. Down with the status quo on the long lost land of Samui.

Spidermike007

Edited by PoorSucker
removed opening post quote
  • Like 2

Here is A Copy of A letter I Recently Sent to The Thai Government - I AM Stil. L waiting for A reply (I do Not Understand The Current situation so was necessarily expecting One at The Moment): -.

Dear Sir,

My name is Carol Beauchemin and I am a Qualified Motorcycle Instructor with 25 years of teaching experience in the United Kingdom.

Having spent some time touring the beautiful country of Thailand by motorcycle, I can tell you that I love your country and the people.

However there is one thing that greatly concerns me and that is the high accident rate for motorcycle riders. I have read that there is one particular corner on the main road around Ko Samui, that has one or two serious accidents per month which I am sure that you would agree is a cause for concern.

I am sure that I am not alone in thinking that with so many deaths and serious injuries caused by accidents on the roads of Thailand, something must be done to improve the safety for the people who use them every day. From my travels in Thailand, I feel that I have gained an understanding of how your culture differs from ours and there is a wonderful feeling offreedom and happiness in your country that is often sadly missing in my own.

When I first started out in riding motorcycle here in the UK, instruction was done dif-ferently to how it has evolved now. The early Japanese bikes were just starting to take over the market from a failing British Motorcycle manufacturing industry. At this time the British motorcycle test was a very basic test that required the rider to ride round the block while being observed by an examiner. British Motorcycle training was in it's infancy and many riders were getting hurt due to a lack of good training.

My first introduction to road training was conducted through two routes. The cycling proficiency course and a road safety lesson from a touring road show who came to my School.

I feel a similar scheme would work well in Thailand.

The main thing is to get people to do it because they want to not because they are told to. I remember the instructor came into my school and gave us a fun lecture and a motorcycle riding display. I still remember even now what he told us about wearing crash helmets and I believe this because he made the course so much fun.

In the UK we now have something called Compulsory Basic Training (CBT). It is a basic, entry level course that makes sure someone has got a fundamental basic under-standing of how to Control a motorcycle on the road and avoid accidents. We also still have the Cycling Proficiency test and it is often a requirementfor school Children to complete the course before being allowed to cycle to school.

What I propose would work well in Thailand is a mixture of the two. A basic fun train-ing day for all school children to educate them in better road safety. Maybe a fun course that leads to getting an award.

If the kids have a better understanding of road safety and the dangers associated with a motorcycle accident, in time that training and information will also filter up to their parents.

The adult death rate is a harder fix. I have no intentions of trying to dictate rules to all that must be enforced. The rules already exist. What is needed is a better understanding of the dangers. I am not naive here. As a biker I know how the freedom of two wheels can lead to risk taking. Riding a fast bike is better than any roller-coaster ride. However with better education into the dangers involved. More understanding of how to stay safe on the roads. Educated peers correcting someone as to why what they are doing is wrong, not because its illegal, but because of the consequences of their actions. Luckily it would appear that many of the larger CC Bike riders do already get the message, it was nice to see the wearing of Helmets and protective clothing at Phuket and Ko Samui bike weeks. But there is a long way to go with the safety of short stay Tourists with no riding skills jumping on to big bikes.

When I was last in Bangkok I saw a guy riding a scooter with one hand while carrying an unprotected baby in the other and this sadly was just one of many such sights. I also saw a tourist riding a large motorcycle while wearing only a T-shirt, shorts and flip flops, perform a very dangerous high speed overtake on Ko Samui. Again one of many such incidents that happen daily.

On our last Thailand tour we hired 2 motorcycles from Ko Samui and rode them across to Phuket. Then back via the Khao Sok National Park. We brought our own Helmets, Jackets and Gloves with us from home because we have found that for the most part none of the kit available in Thailand is to the same standard that is required here in the UK.

What is still however of great concern to us is Thailand's ranking as the second most dangerous place to drive in the world. I do not wish to spoil anybody's fun but maybe through better education and understanding that statistic could be addressed?

As a very experienced motorcycle Instructor who greatly loves Thailand I am prepared to offer my skills and experience in helping construct a motorcycle training programme for schools or can be of any assistance with Thailand Motorcycle Safety then please allow me to help.

Kind Regards

Carol Beauchemin

(แปลไทย)

กราบเรียนด้วยความเคารพ :

ดิฉัน ชื่อ Carol Beauchemin , ดิฉันเป็นครูสอนการขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ ภายในประเทศสหราชอาณาจักร ซึ่งได้ผ่านการรับรองจากรัฐบาลของฉัน มีประสบการณ์ในการสอนมาแล้ว ไม่ต่ำกว่า 25 ปี

ดิฉันได้มีโอกาสเดินทางมายังประเทศไทย และได้มีโอกาสเดินทางท่องเที่ยวไปยังสถานที่ ที่สวยงามต่างๆของประเทศไทยโดยใช้รถจักรยานยนต์ และ ดิฉัน สามารถบอกได้เลยว่า ประเทศไทยเป็นประเทศที่สวยงาม และ มีเอกลักษณ์เป็นของตัวเอง เป็นอย่างยิ่ง

แต่มีสิ่งหนึ่ง ที่ดิฉัน กังวลเป็นอย่างมาก ซึ่งนั่นก็คืออัตราการเกิดอุบัติเหตุของผู้ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ในประเทศไทย ซึ่งดิฉันพบว่ามีอัตราการเกิดอุบัติเหตุค่อนข้างสูง

ดิฉันและเพื่อนได้เช่ารถมอร์เตอร์ไซค์ ขับขี่ท่องเที่ยวไปตามถนนสายหลักของเกาะสมุย

สิ่งที่เกิดขึ้นกับดิฉัน และ เพื่อน คือ ได้มีรถตู้คันหนึ่ง ได้ขับแซงหน้ารถยนต์ ที่ขับขี่อยู่ด้านหน้าของรถตู้คันนั้น ซึ่งรถตู้คันดังกล่าวได้วิ่งสวนทางล้ำเข้ามาภายในช่องทางเดินรถของฉัน ซึ่งมันทำให้ฉันและเพื่อน เกือบที่จะโดนรถตู้คันนั้น เบียดตกไหล่ทางและตัวดิฉันเองเกือบที่จะประสบอุบัติเหตุ แต่ดิฉันก็โชคดีพอ ที่จะรอดพ้นมันมาได้

จากการเดินทางท่องเที่ยวของดิฉันและเพื่อนในประเทศไทย จากการที่ฉันได้พูดคุยและสอบถามผู้ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์และผู้คนทั่วไปที่ใช้รถใช้ถนน ทำให้ดิฉันได้รับรู้ว่า ทัศนะคติของคนไทย ต่อการขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ และการใช้รถใช้ถนน นั้นแตกต่างและมีความเป็นปัจเจกบุคคลสูงมาก ซึ่งอาจจะมีสาเหตุมาจากวัฒนธรรมและการเลี้ยงดูที่แตกต่าง

ดิฉันได้เห็นผู้คนขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์โดยไม่สวมใส่หมวกกันน๊อค, เห็นผู้คนขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ด้วยความเร็วโดยไม่ใส่เสื้อหรือสวมใส่เพียงเสื้อผ้าที่เบาบาง กับกางเกงขาสั้น และ รองเท้าแตะ เพียงเท่านั้น, หรือแม้กระทั่ง ผู้ที่ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ไปตามท้องถนน ซึ่งมืออีกข้างหนึ่งของเขาก็อุ้มลูกไปด้วย

สิ่งเหล่านี้ทำให้ดิฉันเกิดความกังวล และ ไม่สบายใจเป็นอย่างยิ่ง

ซึ่งมันแตกต่างกับประเทศของฉันเป็นอย่างมาก โดยการที่บุคคล คนหนึ่งจะได้รับอนุญาติให้ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ได้นั้น บุคคลนั้น จะต้องผ่านการทดสอบขั้นพื้นฐานเสียก่อน และ การทดสอบ ก็จะมีกฎเกณฑ์ ข้อกำหนด บททดสอบ อย่างเข้มงวด และ เป็นขั้นตอน โดยมีเจ้าหน้าที่ทดสอบเป็นผู้ให้คะแนน อย่างเคร่งครัด ซึ่งสามารถแบ่งได้เป็น 2 ส่วนสำคัญๆด้วยกัน นั่นคือ

1) แน่นอน ความสามรถในการขับขี่และการควบคุมรถ

2) ความรู้ ความเข้าใจ ในการใช้รถใช้ถนน

ซึ่งในสหราชอาณาจักร ในขณะนี้เรามีสิ่งที่เรียกว่า "การฝึกอบรมภาคบังคับขั้นพื้นฐาน" (CBT)

ซึ่งเป็นการอบรม และ การเรียนรู้ขั้นพื้นฐาน ที่สามารถทำให้แน่ใจได้ว่า บุคคลที่ผ่านการฝึกอบรมในหลักสูตรนี้ จะมีความสามารถในการขับขี่ ควบคุม รถจักรยานยนต์ ได้อย่างถูกวิธี อีกทั้งยังมีความรู้ ความเข้าใจ ในการที่จะหลีกเลี่ยง และ ป้องกันการเกิดอุบัติเหตุบนท้องถนน ได้อย่างถูกวิธี , นอกจากนี้เรายังมีหลักสูตรการฝึกอบรมขั้นเบื้องต้นให้แก่เยาวชนอีกด้วย ก่อนที่พวกเขาจะได้รับอนุญาติ จากทางการ ที่จะให้เยาวชนเหล่านั้น ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ของพวกเขาเองได้

ดิฉัน มีความประสงค์ อยากจะทำการ Road Show เปิดการอบรม และ ทำการ Workshop ให้ความรู้แก่ผู้ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ในประเทศไทย

ซึ่งสิ่งที่ดิฉัน จะนำเสนอนั้น จะเป็นการผสมผสานระหว่าง 2 หลักสูตร มุ่งเน้นไปที่ตัวเยาวชน และ ผู้ที่สนใจที่จะเข้ารับการอบรม

ดิฉัน ได้เล็งเห็นว่าคงจะเป็นการดีที่จะให้ความรู้ ความเข้าใจแก่ผู้ขับขี่ ตั้งแต่ในระดับเยาวชน เพราะความรู้ที่พวกเขาได้รับ สามารถที่จะแพร่หลาย และ กลั่นกรอง ส่งต่อไปยัง พ่อ-แม่ และ บุคคลในครอบครัว หรือ คนใกล้ชิดของพวกเขาได้ง่าย เพราะดิฉันเข้าใจดี ว่าการที่จะไปปรับเปลี่ยนทัศนะคติของผู้ใหญ่ นั้นอาจทำได้ยาก กว่าการปลูกฝังทัศนะคติที่ดี และ ให้ความรู้ที่ถูกต้องแก่เยาวชน

ซึ่งดิฉันได้เล็งเห็นถึงความสำคัญในการปลูกฝังทัศนะคติ และ การให้ความรู้ที่ถูกต้องแก่เยาวชน และ ผู้ที่ต้องการที่จะเข้ารับการอบรมจริงๆ เพราะพวกเขาจะนำสิ่งเหล่านั้นไปปฎิบัติจริง ซึ่งสิ่งที่ดิฉันต้องการให้พวกเขาได้รับ นั่นก็คือ ทัศนะคติต่อการขับขี่ ความรู้ ความเข้าใจ ที่ถูกต้องในการขับขี่ และ วิธีการ ที่พวกเขาจะสามารถ ลดอุบัติเหตุ และ ลดอันตรายที่จะเกิดจากอุบัติเหตุในการขับขี่ ต่อตนเอง และ ผู้ที่ใช้รถใช้ถนน ร่วมกับพวกเขา

มันไม่ใช่เรื่องยาก ของผู้ที่ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ ที่จะรู้ถึงวิธีการทำความเร็ว หรือ จะขับขี่ด้วยความเร็ว แต่วิธี การที่จะป้องกันตัวเอง และ ลดอัตราการเกิดอุบัติเหตุ เนื่องด้วยการขับรถด้วยความเร็วต่างหาก ที่สำคัญ และ มักเป็นสิ่งที่ผู้ขับขี่ มักจะหลงลืมมัน

สุดท้านนี้ ด้วยประสบการ์ณในการขับขี่รถของดิฉัน และ จากประสบการ์ณ การเป็นครูผู้สอนการขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ให้แก่ประชาชน ภายในสหราชอาณาจักร มาเป็นเวลากว่า 25 ปี

ดิฉัน มีความตั้งใจที่ดี ที่จะช่วยเหลือ แบ่งปันประสบการ์ณ และ ให้ความรู้ คำแนะนำ ที่ถูกต้อง และ เป็นประโยชน์ แก่ผู้ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ในประเทศไทยทุกคน

ด้วยความนับถือ

: Carol Beauchemin ( แคร์โรวล์ บิวเชอร์มิน )

• Like 2

Post removed.

6) Do not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel. Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

ive been riding on samui for more than 12 years.

most competent drivers / riders are taught to drive according to the prevailing conditions.

its called defensive driving / riding

as everybody seems to know about the driving conditions on samui its very easy to drive accordingly without incident.

if i go to the uk i drive to the conditions there.

on samui i drive to the conditions here.

stop complaining about the conditions on samui and just drive defensively.

your life will be happier this way and very safe.

As a rule of thumb we can expect to encounter at least one moron per urban kilometre & perhaps one per 5-10 kms elsewhere plus every bend or blind spot. A single Dashcam footage Contains Enough to Keep scriptwriters for ". Police, Camera, Action "&" Casualty "Busy for an entire Series. Something needs to be done about it & I'm pleased that ST are trying.

Yesterday evening I was even tooted from behind while walking along one of the few decent bits of pavement because I was in the way of a couple on a motorcy! :)

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

I applaud the motive and wish them every success. There have though been similar meetings over the years and some even involved the Police and all amounted to nothing. The General has started to crack down in Phuket and that is what it will take to change anything here.

• Like 1

The "we're doomed/work permit/if you don't like it" brigades didn't take long to sharpen their axes at the foot of the page @ST! Having a group photo with beer on the table left them open to attack from the usual culprits. Perhaps this quote from my son who was 8 at the time and was 48hrs into his first visit to UK might explain what they're trying to achieve:

"Why can't we have these at home daddy?/ If I tried this in Thailand I'd get killed!"

He was referring to the 'moses' effect zebra crossings have on traffic, enabling us to safely cross the road to the kiddies play area. He went on to note the extent of adherence to road discipline, bus timetables, marked roadworks & everything else taken for granted elsewhere that is noticeably absent here.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

ive been riding on samui for more than 12 years

most competent drivers /riders are taught to drive according to the prevailing conditions

its called defensive driving /riding

as everybody seems to know about the driving conditions on samui its very easy to drive accordingly without incident

if i go to the uk i drive to the conditions there

on samui i drive to the conditions here

stop complaining about the conditions on samui and just drive defensively

your life will be happier this way and very safe

Pretty much until you talk about it being easy to drive on Samui without incident. Thats just not the case.

These roads are a nightmare no matter how sensible you are.

as stated ive been riding on samui for many years

just about every day in fact

when the road to my house was just a mud track , full of water holes and over grown ,I rode according to the conditions with little incident

now the road is concrete and instead of mud and holes to look out for , we now lookout for people riding on our side of the road , overtaking into oncoming traffic, etc etc

same defensive driving technique [differing conditions ]

still with little incident

so yes as far as im concerned its easy to ride on samui without incident

im quite happy to teach anybody my defensive riding technique

tried and proven for more than 12 years

I wonder how many people that ride bikes here daily would agree with your opinions on the safety of riding a bike here?

Despite some locals "liking" your post the stats/facts tell a very different story on bike/road safety and i would advise anyone reading this not to listen to you because its extremely dangerous no matter how carefully and defensive your "technique" is

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

Carmine, you can ride safely using defensive driving techniques, you can also ride as the locals do, aggressive in a big melee.

To the other poster saying they taught driving / riding in the UK great, this isn't the UK, please do not try to apply same logic here. Always great to have a good grounding in driving skills, but that should help you to adapt to different conditions.

Nothing wrong with defensive driving.wink.png

• Like 2

Drive slowly people.

Don't get all superior about western driving standards

Keep an eye in the rear mirror for Taxi, Concrete and Water truck, Minibus & Jungle Tour 4x4 (with cocky good looking types with sharp sunglasses in the back... wanting a thrill)

In the foreground keep an eye out for the dithering tourists on motorbikes.... cos they do dither and cause issues. If you drive slow it aint a problem... so drive slowly people. Not everyone has been here for 20 years... so give a bit of slack to those that have been here for 20 hours

Edited by Higgins

Carmine, you can ride safely using defensive driving techniques, you can also ride as the locals do, aggressive in a big melee.

To the other poster saying they taught driving / riding in the UK great, this isn't the UK, please do not try to apply same logic here. Always great to have a good grounding in driving skills, but that should help you to adapt to different conditions.

Yes I do know it's not the UK. I had noticed

Posting a video of of a one day Songkran event, hardly sums up every day driving on Samui... facepalm.gif

Comparing accidents in UK or other western country, is going to produce different results, there are many more motor bikes / scooters in most of Asia....(Malaysia would be an exception as there are more cars than bikes) ...... these riders do not have the same protection, that a car would give., so fatal or serious injuries are going to show different results.

I happened to watch this program yesterday, on ITV Iplayer.... the amount of accidents a day in UK is staggering . ... On average 2500 a day w00t.gif just a few examples : 43% people putting on makeup (women I would guess) ...60% eating and drinking while driving. 50% using mobile phones .... there were more reasons.... but basically people driving without due care and attention. It did not mention that I remember the drunk drivers.... but I am sure they contribute too... whistling.gif

..... If people here would, Google other countries about accidents the results would be similar .... People need to get their head out of the sand, drive defensively with more due care and attention.... (already said in other posts ^)

if you have a VPN on your computer, you can watch here:

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/testing-britain-s-worst-drivers-crash-course

Yes, drive slowly, but not too slowly, some times slow drivers can be a hazard also.... driving as road conditions dictate and the speed limits obviously.... many "farangs" are just as bad as some of the locals...

Yes I do know it's not the UK. I had noticed

What does a video of Songkran celebration have to do with this topic? More fool them going out riding on such a day. I am very glad you noticed it's not the UK, had me worried there for a second.

most competent drivers /riders are taught to drive according to the prevailing conditions

as everybody seems to know about the driving conditions on samui its very easy to drive accordingly without incident

Pretty much until you talk about it being easy to drive on Samui without incident. Thats just not the case.

when the road to my house was just a mud track , full of water holes and over grown ,I rode according to the conditions with little incident

now the road is concrete and instead of mud and holes to look out for , we now lookout for people riding on our side of the road , overtaking into oncoming traffic, etc etc

Well done you, very good to have stayed safe for so long.

So Samui is full of people like you who drive defensively and follow the rules of the road then?

Well I already know the answer to that, I have a dear friend on the island who is both a police officer and also does rescue work. He paints a very different picture of the road situation. How do you console a women who has just had her baby run over due to her dropping it from the bike she was trying to ride?

On my first visit to Samui some years ago I met a guy who was there for his brother. He had managed to find work selling time share. The reason he was there was that his brother was in hospital, in a coma after a bike accident.

Two stories, you don't have to look far to fiind many more.

We are not perfect in the UK, 3 deaths a day on motorcycles. Just had a quick look for Thailand and for 2012/13 the average was 53 deaths a Day for Motorcycles alone.

Nice of you to offer your services as well. Do you have any teaching qualifications?

I am a certified (some say mentally!) Driving Standards Agency Instructor who has 30 years of teaching experience.

But of course any idiot can learn to ride a bike.

Well,said.... With you 100 percent..

sorry Roo but there is no such thing as "safe" on a bike on Samui. There is no control of the roads.

Try riding a bike around the Chaweng beach road area at night and you will quickly see that no matter how defensive your riding of your bike is you can never completely cover yourself from the stupidity of others, drunks or for example, unpredictable actions of tourists who have never rode a bike before.

i think the point you are trying to make is that you can greatly reduce risk to yourself by defensive riding which is correct but don't put forward the notion that you can ride safely on these free for all roads because you cannot

• Like 2

Did you think that RAC would not be pronounced the same as RAK?

Were these problems forwarded to the Koh Samui chief of police, if so what is his response. Apart from "chewing the fat over a beer or two, what are the intentions of RAK.

The least you can do is forward your list to the good General, otherwise you will be Pixxxxx against the wind.

Edited by oldsailor35

In other words, zero in the way of law and order. Some of the most incompetent police in the world work on Samui. No traffic safety. One of the highest fatality rates per capita, in the ENTIRE world. This meeting is a good thing. It is long overdue. But, how do you implement it, without police involvement? How do you get completely incompetent police to start enforcing the law, without regard to cash collection? Are these guys even trainable, or do they need to completely retrain, or dismantle the entire force, and start from scratch, with mainland police. Something needs to be done. Drastically. How do you turn revenue collection agents into policemen?

It is unfair to the tourists that come to Samui expecting that they will remain in civilization, only to find an island that has been completely abandoned by both the Surat Thani and the central government, and completely controlled by the local mafia, who love to collect cash. But they despise giving anything in return, nor improving their Island on any level. We are talking about several vampire families that are super rich, and have nothing in the way of compassion, pride, intelligence, or vision. They should be arrested and jailed for life. Or deported. Not allowed to continue to rule the island, destroy the island, prevent improvement, or continue sucking blood. Someone needs to take control. Samui has been out of control for years now. This is the Wild, Wild West of Thailand. Will the Junta step in? Thousands of people sincerely hope so. Down with the status quo on the long lost land of Samui.

Spidermike007

'Vampire families' strong description, care to let us know who they are...........please.

Spidermike007

'Vampire families' strong description, care to let us know who they are...........please.

Sorry, but the silly libel laws here prevent me from doing so. Ask around. There are several families that have a lot of control. They do very little to benefit the island.

Spidermike007

Here is A Copy of A letter I Recently Sent to The Thai Government - I AM Stil. L waiting for A reply (I do Not Understand The Current situation so was necessarily expecting One at The Moment): -.

Dear Sir,

My name is Carol Beauchemin and I am a Qualified Motorcycle Instructor with 25 years of teaching experience in the United Kingdom.

Having spent some time touring the beautiful country of Thailand by motorcycle, I can tell you that I love your country and the people.

However there is one thing that greatly concerns me and that is the high accident rate for motorcycle riders. I have read that there is one particular corner on the main road around Ko Samui, that has one or two serious accidents per month which I am sure that you would agree is a cause for concern.

I am sure that I am not alone in thinking that with so many deaths and serious injuries caused by accidents on the roads of Thailand, something must be done to improve the safety for the people who use them every day. From my travels in Thailand, I feel that I have gained an understanding of how your culture differs from ours and there is a wonderful feeling offreedom and happiness in your country that is often sadly missing in my own.

When I first started out in riding motorcycle here in the UK, instruction was done dif-ferently to how it has evolved now. The early Japanese bikes were just starting to take over the market from a failing British Motorcycle manufacturing industry. At this time the British motorcycle test was a very basic test that required the rider to ride round the block while being observed by an examiner. British Motorcycle training was in it's infancy and many riders were getting hurt due to a lack of good training.

My first introduction to road training was conducted through two routes. The cycling proficiency course and a road safety lesson from a touring road show who came to my School.

I feel a similar scheme would work well in Thailand.

The main thing is to get people to do it because they want to not because they are told to. I remember the instructor came into my school and gave us a fun lecture and a motorcycle riding display. I still remember even now what he told us about wearing crash helmets and I believe this because he made the course so much fun.

In the UK we now have something called Compulsory Basic Training (CBT). It is a basic, entry level course that makes sure someone has got a fundamental basic under-standing of how to Control a motorcycle on the road and avoid accidents. We also still have the Cycling Proficiency test and it is often a requirementfor school Children to complete the course before being allowed to cycle to school.

What I propose would work well in Thailand is a mixture of the two. A basic fun train-ing day for all school children to educate them in better road safety. Maybe a fun course that leads to getting an award.

If the kids have a better understanding of road safety and the dangers associated with a motorcycle accident, in time that training and information will also filter up to their parents.

The adult death rate is a harder fix. I have no intentions of trying to dictate rules to all that must be enforced. The rules already exist. What is needed is a better understanding of the dangers. I am not naive here. As a biker I know how the freedom of two wheels can lead to risk taking. Riding a fast bike is better than any roller-coaster ride. However with better education into the dangers involved. More understanding of how to stay safe on the roads. Educated peers correcting someone as to why what they are doing is wrong, not because its illegal, but because of the consequences of their actions. Luckily it would appear that many of the larger CC Bike riders do already get the message, it was nice to see the wearing of Helmets and protective clothing at Phuket and Ko Samui bike weeks. But there is a long way to go with the safety of short stay Tourists with no riding skills jumping on to big bikes.

When I was last in Bangkok I saw a guy riding a scooter with one hand while carrying an unprotected baby in the other and this sadly was just one of many such sights. I also saw a tourist riding a large motorcycle while wearing only a T-shirt, shorts and flip flops, perform a very dangerous high speed overtake on Ko Samui. Again one of many such incidents that happen daily.

On our last Thailand tour we hired 2 motorcycles from Ko Samui and rode them across to Phuket. Then back via the Khao Sok National Park. We brought our own Helmets, Jackets and Gloves with us from home because we have found that for the most part none of the kit available in Thailand is to the same standard that is required here in the UK.

What is still however of great concern to us is Thailand's ranking as the second most dangerous place to drive in the world. I do not wish to spoil anybody's fun but maybe through better education and understanding that statistic could be addressed?

As a very experienced motorcycle Instructor who greatly loves Thailand I am prepared to offer my skills and experience in helping construct a motorcycle training programme for schools or can be of any assistance with Thailand Motorcycle Safety then please allow me to help.

Kind Regards

Carol Beauchemin

(แปลไทย)

กราบเรียนด้วยความเคารพ :

ดิฉัน ชื่อ Carol Beauchemin , ดิฉันเป็นครูสอนการขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ ภายในประเทศสหราชอาณาจักร ซึ่งได้ผ่านการรับรองจากรัฐบาลของฉัน มีประสบการณ์ในการสอนมาแล้ว ไม่ต่ำกว่า 25 ปี

ดิฉันได้มีโอกาสเดินทางมายังประเทศไทย และได้มีโอกาสเดินทางท่องเที่ยวไปยังสถานที่ ที่สวยงามต่างๆของประเทศไทยโดยใช้รถจักรยานยนต์ และ ดิฉัน สามารถบอกได้เลยว่า ประเทศไทยเป็นประเทศที่สวยงาม และ มีเอกลักษณ์เป็นของตัวเอง เป็นอย่างยิ่ง

แต่มีสิ่งหนึ่ง ที่ดิฉัน กังวลเป็นอย่างมาก ซึ่งนั่นก็คืออัตราการเกิดอุบัติเหตุของผู้ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ในประเทศไทย ซึ่งดิฉันพบว่ามีอัตราการเกิดอุบัติเหตุค่อนข้างสูง

ดิฉันและเพื่อนได้เช่ารถมอร์เตอร์ไซค์ ขับขี่ท่องเที่ยวไปตามถนนสายหลักของเกาะสมุย

สิ่งที่เกิดขึ้นกับดิฉัน และ เพื่อน คือ ได้มีรถตู้คันหนึ่ง ได้ขับแซงหน้ารถยนต์ ที่ขับขี่อยู่ด้านหน้าของรถตู้คันนั้น ซึ่งรถตู้คันดังกล่าวได้วิ่งสวนทางล้ำเข้ามาภายในช่องทางเดินรถของฉัน ซึ่งมันทำให้ฉันและเพื่อน เกือบที่จะโดนรถตู้คันนั้น เบียดตกไหล่ทางและตัวดิฉันเองเกือบที่จะประสบอุบัติเหตุ แต่ดิฉันก็โชคดีพอ ที่จะรอดพ้นมันมาได้

จากการเดินทางท่องเที่ยวของดิฉันและเพื่อนในประเทศไทย จากการที่ฉันได้พูดคุยและสอบถามผู้ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์และผู้คนทั่วไปที่ใช้รถใช้ถนน ทำให้ดิฉันได้รับรู้ว่า ทัศนะคติของคนไทย ต่อการขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ และการใช้รถใช้ถนน นั้นแตกต่างและมีความเป็นปัจเจกบุคคลสูงมาก ซึ่งอาจจะมีสาเหตุมาจากวัฒนธรรมและการเลี้ยงดูที่แตกต่าง

ดิฉันได้เห็นผู้คนขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์โดยไม่สวมใส่หมวกกันน๊อค, เห็นผู้คนขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ด้วยความเร็วโดยไม่ใส่เสื้อหรือสวมใส่เพียงเสื้อผ้าที่เบาบาง กับกางเกงขาสั้น และ รองเท้าแตะ เพียงเท่านั้น, หรือแม้กระทั่ง ผู้ที่ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ไปตามท้องถนน ซึ่งมืออีกข้างหนึ่งของเขาก็อุ้มลูกไปด้วย

สิ่งเหล่านี้ทำให้ดิฉันเกิดความกังวล และ ไม่สบายใจเป็นอย่างยิ่ง

ซึ่งมันแตกต่างกับประเทศของฉันเป็นอย่างมาก โดยการที่บุคคล คนหนึ่งจะได้รับอนุญาติให้ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ได้นั้น บุคคลนั้น จะต้องผ่านการทดสอบขั้นพื้นฐานเสียก่อน และ การทดสอบ ก็จะมีกฎเกณฑ์ ข้อกำหนด บททดสอบ อย่างเข้มงวด และ เป็นขั้นตอน โดยมีเจ้าหน้าที่ทดสอบเป็นผู้ให้คะแนน อย่างเคร่งครัด ซึ่งสามารถแบ่งได้เป็น 2 ส่วนสำคัญๆด้วยกัน นั่นคือ

1) แน่นอน ความสามรถในการขับขี่และการควบคุมรถ

2) ความรู้ ความเข้าใจ ในการใช้รถใช้ถนน

ซึ่งในสหราชอาณาจักร ในขณะนี้เรามีสิ่งที่เรียกว่า "การฝึกอบรมภาคบังคับขั้นพื้นฐาน" (CBT)

ซึ่งเป็นการอบรม และ การเรียนรู้ขั้นพื้นฐาน ที่สามารถทำให้แน่ใจได้ว่า บุคคลที่ผ่านการฝึกอบรมในหลักสูตรนี้ จะมีความสามารถในการขับขี่ ควบคุม รถจักรยานยนต์ ได้อย่างถูกวิธี อีกทั้งยังมีความรู้ ความเข้าใจ ในการที่จะหลีกเลี่ยง และ ป้องกันการเกิดอุบัติเหตุบนท้องถนน ได้อย่างถูกวิธี , นอกจากนี้เรายังมีหลักสูตรการฝึกอบรมขั้นเบื้องต้นให้แก่เยาวชนอีกด้วย ก่อนที่พวกเขาจะได้รับอนุญาติ จากทางการ ที่จะให้เยาวชนเหล่านั้น ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ของพวกเขาเองได้

ดิฉัน มีความประสงค์ อยากจะทำการ Road Show เปิดการอบรม และ ทำการ Workshop ให้ความรู้แก่ผู้ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ในประเทศไทย

ซึ่งสิ่งที่ดิฉัน จะนำเสนอนั้น จะเป็นการผสมผสานระหว่าง 2 หลักสูตร มุ่งเน้นไปที่ตัวเยาวชน และ ผู้ที่สนใจที่จะเข้ารับการอบรม

ดิฉัน ได้เล็งเห็นว่าคงจะเป็นการดีที่จะให้ความรู้ ความเข้าใจแก่ผู้ขับขี่ ตั้งแต่ในระดับเยาวชน เพราะความรู้ที่พวกเขาได้รับ สามารถที่จะแพร่หลาย และ กลั่นกรอง ส่งต่อไปยัง พ่อ-แม่ และ บุคคลในครอบครัว หรือ คนใกล้ชิดของพวกเขาได้ง่าย เพราะดิฉันเข้าใจดี ว่าการที่จะไปปรับเปลี่ยนทัศนะคติของผู้ใหญ่ นั้นอาจทำได้ยาก กว่าการปลูกฝังทัศนะคติที่ดี และ ให้ความรู้ที่ถูกต้องแก่เยาวชน

ซึ่งดิฉันได้เล็งเห็นถึงความสำคัญในการปลูกฝังทัศนะคติ และ การให้ความรู้ที่ถูกต้องแก่เยาวชน และ ผู้ที่ต้องการที่จะเข้ารับการอบรมจริงๆ เพราะพวกเขาจะนำสิ่งเหล่านั้นไปปฎิบัติจริง ซึ่งสิ่งที่ดิฉันต้องการให้พวกเขาได้รับ นั่นก็คือ ทัศนะคติต่อการขับขี่ ความรู้ ความเข้าใจ ที่ถูกต้องในการขับขี่ และ วิธีการ ที่พวกเขาจะสามารถ ลดอุบัติเหตุ และ ลดอันตรายที่จะเกิดจากอุบัติเหตุในการขับขี่ ต่อตนเอง และ ผู้ที่ใช้รถใช้ถนน ร่วมกับพวกเขา

มันไม่ใช่เรื่องยาก ของผู้ที่ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ ที่จะรู้ถึงวิธีการทำความเร็ว หรือ จะขับขี่ด้วยความเร็ว แต่วิธี การที่จะป้องกันตัวเอง และ ลดอัตราการเกิดอุบัติเหตุ เนื่องด้วยการขับรถด้วยความเร็วต่างหาก ที่สำคัญ และ มักเป็นสิ่งที่ผู้ขับขี่ มักจะหลงลืมมัน

สุดท้านนี้ ด้วยประสบการ์ณในการขับขี่รถของดิฉัน และ จากประสบการ์ณ การเป็นครูผู้สอนการขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ให้แก่ประชาชน ภายในสหราชอาณาจักร มาเป็นเวลากว่า 25 ปี

ดิฉัน มีความตั้งใจที่ดี ที่จะช่วยเหลือ แบ่งปันประสบการ์ณ และ ให้ความรู้ คำแนะนำ ที่ถูกต้อง และ เป็นประโยชน์ แก่ผู้ขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ในประเทศไทยทุกคน

ด้วยความนับถือ

: Carol Beauchemin ( แคร์โรวล์ บิวเชอร์มิน )

Gosh Carol, you forgot to mention how wonderfully efficient the RTP traffic cops are.

"Very safe" you make it all sound so easy. I am a very careful driver and have had two accidents in the last 12 mths. First i was sitting at the red traffic lights ( watching defensively) when a drunk ( or drugged) Thai ploughed into the back of me doing Bht 140.000 damage and then driving away. Cops told me "Mai phen lai. you have insurance" Second i was riding my m/c at a steady 40 klm when another Thai driver coming in the opposite direction decided to do a 'U' turn in in his Toyota pick up truck right in front of me......................just saying !

You are too good mate, but i dont think i could afford you !