Low carb and appetite

robblok

• 3 weeks later...

Protein keeps you fuller longer, processed foods make you hungry faster as they have sugar, full fat products better than low fat as less fat has been replaced with sugar which means if you stay away from process sugar of any kind you will stay fuller much longer.

Protein keeps you fuller longer, processed foods make you hungry faster as they have sugar, full fat products better than low fat as less fat has been replaced with sugar which means if you stay away from process sugar of any kind you will stay fuller much longer.

I think that is a given for those of us who are loosing weight or eating healthy. I prepare most of my meals myself. But yes it cant be said often enough as there are plenty people who havent got a clue.

Well low fat does not mean more sugar.

Problem is processed food and there more fat would mean more low quality fat.

The only solution is to cook yourself.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to burst your ballon old chum but most low fat anything does have a higher sugar content often the food companys replaced it with 'fructose" once they took the fat out they needed to make it taste better.

In the US a few farmers have gotten rich producing corn to be turned into "fructose"

There was a program out detailing the rise of obesity mirroring the rise of processed food, how the food giants turned to fructose to "inprove" low fat product taste..

Your very right............cook it yourself.

Sorry to burst your ballon old chum but most low fat anything does have a higher sugar content often the food companys replaced it with 'fructose" once they took the fat out they needed to make it taste better.

In the US a few farmers have gotten rich producing corn to be turned into "fructose"

There was a program out detailing the rise of obesity mirroring the rise of processed food, how the food giants turned to fructose to "inprove" low fat product taste..

yes there are very few products in low fat available that contain no or little sugar.

Even zero fat yoghurt and zero fat milk without added of something is now hard to find in some countries.

Now I started to make the 0% yoghurt myself and add the fruits myself.

And true plain 0% yoghurt with fruits (like blueberry or strawberry) doesn't taste half as good as the supermarket version with a great list of adds. The "clean label" strategy makes it even worse (apple juice concentrate, grape juice concentrate, etc, etc which is almost plain sugar but seems to be better when you read the label).

Make Yoghurt yourself....roughly 15 sec of work + waiting.

• 3 weeks later...

yes there are very few products in low fat available that contain no or little sugar.

Even zero fat yoghurt and zero fat milk without added of something is now hard to find in some countries.

Now I started to make the 0% yoghurt myself and add the fruits myself.

And true plain 0% yoghurt with fruits (like blueberry or strawberry) doesn't taste half as good as the supermarket version with a great list of adds. The "clean label" strategy makes it even worse (apple juice concentrate, grape juice concentrate, etc, etc which is almost plain sugar but seems to be better when you read the label).

Make Yoghurt yourself....roughly 15 sec of work + waiting.

Why worry about some fat, in moderation its often better as going for the products with the fructose. I dont mind some fat in my diet you need fat to function. It is responsible for hormone levels.

I must say after coming back from the Netherlands where my meals were higher in carbs (was living with my parents for 3 weeks) that low carbs definitely kills hunger to some extent. It is not like its totally gone but its less. I do take carbs ( 60 grams of oats) in the morning with some milk and a big protein shake (proteins fill you up) the rest of the day is either veggies or meats and eggs or fish. When not trying to loose weight no hunger.. when I want to loose weight and limit the portions I do get hunger but that is normal if your already lean and want to go even lower its normal for the body to send some signals (hunger) not to do that.

Regardless of so called studies and all the nonsense, of course low carb diets work and help to lose weight very efficiently. It's just common sense. The sole purpose of carbs is to provide the body with energy. When you eat more than it needs its going to be stored as fat coz it doesn't need so much energy. When you eat less, you start losing weight. It doesn't decrease or increase appetite for the same reason. Why would it? If you eat more of it then the body will be busy converting it into energy or fat depending on the amount, but it doesn't saturate and makes you feel full like fat or protein. However a zero carb diet means that the body doesn't have access to the primary energy source(carbs)so it's going to use protein and fat for that purpose, which doesn't make sense.. Why not consume some carbs so the body can get what it needs from what source it prefers it from and the rest can be used for their own purpose, such as protein to build muscle.

On the other side most of the sugar that is consumed(it doesn't matter if it's simple or complex since its going to be broken down into simple anyway)is going to be used by the brain cells and all the other cells in the body. And when a few billion cells do not have access to the energy they need, that is damaging to every single one of them. Headache and feeling a bit tired are good signs of that.

But hey, no offense to the OP. I have always thought u were cool based on your comments.

Edited by A1Str8
  • Like 2

Regardless of so called studies and all the nonsense, of course low carb diets work and help to lose weight very efficiently. It's just common sense. The sole purpose of carbs is to provide the body with energy. When you eat more than it needs its going to be stored as fat coz it doesn't need so much energy. When you eat less, you start losing weight. It doesn't decrease or increase appetite for the same reason. Why would it? If you eat more of it then the body will be busy converting it into energy or fat depending on the amount, but it doesn't saturate and makes you feel full like fat or protein. However a zero carb diet means that the body doesn't have access to the primary energy source(carbs)so it's going to use protein and fat for that purpose, which doesn't make sense.. Why not consume some carbs so the body can get what it needs from what source it prefers it from and the rest can be used for their own purpose, such as protein to build muscle.

On the other side most of the sugar that is consumed(it doesn't matter if it's simple or complex since its going to be broken down into simple anyway)is going to be used by the brain cells and all the other cells in the body. And when a few billion cells do not have access to the energy they need, that is damaging to every single one of them. Headache and feeling a bit tired are good signs of that.

But hey, no offense to the OP. I have always thought u were cool based on your comments.

What comments its just a point of view we differ on nothing wrong with that. I am not going on zero carbs and I do think that the kind of carbs matter, if the carbs are too simple your blood-sugar will spike too much and raise insulin too much. Same with the amount of carbs in one sitting. Too much of a good thing is still a bad thing.

I keep my carbs low but not zero that is real hard to do and it might be a good idea if you really want to go to extremes but otherwise its hard.

The signs you are talking about do happen if you go to zero carbs however it does go away after you get in ketose. I tried it but did not like getting there and the signs and keeping it so low. I rather go low but enough now.

Its just that i like to try and see how things work with my body, and I believe things differ from person to person (ok main things stay the same)

So much of this is mindset and determination. I was 78 kgs, went up to 90 kgs and then crash dieted back down to 80 kgs - over the past six months I've crept back up to 85 kgs hence it's crash diet time again, currently at 81 kgs. I think what happens, in my case at least, is that I reach a weight level that is desirable and then over time complacency sets in and I allow my self a few extra treats from time to time. Once I start to do that my appetite knows no bounds and it becomes a fight of good versus evil, eventually I resolve to get to a stable weight once again.

The idea of a maintenance diet is very difficult to achieve (for me), what I do know however is that those two or three pieces of pizza once a month inevitably leads to larger servings of other foods I enjoy. Let's face it, salads, tuna and all that other healthy stuff, can be quite boring. The Mayo Clinic has picked up on this point and I now subscribe to their newsletter which includes tips/recipes etc, all good stuff, maybe of use to some people also - there's no selling of anything involved:

"If you've had weight-loss success with The Mayo Clinic Diet, we'd love to hear from you! Have you dropped several dress or pant sizes? Lost 15, 20, 30 pounds or more? Turned a medical diagnosis around? Send an email to [email protected]. Please include "Mayo Clinic Diet Story" in the subject line".

http://diet.mayoclinic.org/diet/motivate/strategies-to-help-control-eating-triggers?xid=nl_MayoClinicDiet_20140912

@chiang mai

I know your problem i solve it by weighing myself every day and imputting it in the phone. It keeps me in check it might sound obsessive but else i end up in your situation.

I do let myself go at times but just make sure i compensate later if needed. Staying on weight is easier then loosing it.

Problem was I was trying to gain more muscle and then i was not sure if it was muscle or fat. Always a hard call to make skin calipers are hard to use and can give bad results. Scales with that send electricity through your body don't work for bodybuilders (not big myself but above average) and did not work for me.

Been trying to find a dexa scan for fat in Thailand but not available as of yet (or haven't found it). But the holes in my belt give a good indication in general so a tape measure might be the thing to use.

No, you are wrong on that.

You have 2 complete different engines inside you.

Usually we burn glucose together with some fat. If you stop eating any carbs (or stop eating at all), first the body uses the stored sugar, which isn't much. Than it changes protein into glucose. But that is very dangerous for the survival so the body starts to change fat acids into ketone bodies and burn these.

Even the brain cells change, but the complete engine must be built first. After a month you burn 70-80 fat in form of ketone bodies. As your blood sugar level keeps stable you don't get too much hungry.

My guess is as European we run on the ketone body system all the winter and partially spring, end of summer and autumn we ate carbs, got hungry all the time and eat more to build up fat so we can survive the winter in the cold with the rarely caught deer.....

On a low carb diet we take benefit of that.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...