Thailand Immigration confirms new overstay rules are now official

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does seem a bit harsh on those that get apprehended on the way to the airport with say 10 days of overstay and wont be allowed into Thailand for 5 years.

I suspect common sense would prevail... One would hope..... In that, if the overstayer was in possession of luggage and an in-date flight ticket out, then they would be allowed to proceed to airport immigration.

• Like 2

Does seem a bit harsh on those that get apprehended on the way to the airport with say 10 days of overstay and wont be allowed into Thailand for 5 years.

I suspect common sense would prevail... One would hope..... In that, if the overstayer was in possession of luggage and an in-date flight ticket out, then they would be allowed to proceed to airport immigration.

The document sets out different punishments for simply overstaying, and overstaying and being apprehended.

However, aren't you, technically, apprehended at the airport, by way of handing yourself in?

Sure, they will let you pay the fine and fly out, but wouldn't they also forbid you from entering Thailand for 1 year?

Think that secenario is unlikely, however there has alwys been a different rule applied to those that are apprehended.

Am Imagining it, or was there some years back regular shake downs around Phuket for just that scenario?

Where does it say in the warning that 10 days overstay won't be allowed into Thailand for 5 years?

Am I missing something? .. or are you.

"

If on the road you are checked, it means you are apprehended, which means a 5 year ban if less than 1 year overstay.

Only when you report yourself to immigration is there a lenient period of 90 days without a ban.

• Like 1

Official but starting from when !

It doesn't say. But normally it means it will be in effect right now (or very, very soon).Comming days will tell, but we alsready heard about people being denied back in the country because of overstay.

I would say, if you are on overstay deal with it right now before you get into much more problems.

Looks like they mean from now then, especially if people are already being denied.

Now i feel bad because i just advised someone i know in BKK to book a flight and go quick, like on Friday. If they are blacklisted then that will be bad.

I agree these new rules are good and welcome them but if in force as of today they will only deter future overstay people, not current. If someone is on an overstay of over 90 days now and they see this news then whats the point in going. They may aswell just stay and plan for a new life somewhere else in the expectation of being blacklisted and leave just before the next level of blacklist.

Surely its in Thailand's interests to have an amnesty period of a few weeks which would clear out all the current overstay people, plus get a wad of cash in for the state from people who may not have left and then enforce 100% the new rules after the amnesty.

You guys that overstay will not like this !!

I did two Border Runs to Cambodia and one to Laos in 2004 when I first arrived.now having done that paying for the trips taking away three days from doing something else I decided it was time to go about this the right way. Got a Non-Immigrate O Visa, at the end of th a year obtained a Retirement Extension which I have done every year since. Not fun and cost 4,000THB every year.

So, I guess there are a few reasons for Overstay (1) Too cheap to pay your dues for living here. (2) Can not afford to pay the fees (3) Just love running to the Border every month or two.

For what ever reason you have stiffed Thailand for the fee and they are tired. Take whatever number you want, as to how many Farang live here multiply by 1,900 or 3,800THB and you see why they want to stop it.

• Like 2

The list of penalties is applicable only to overstayers of more then 90 days.

So it should have read overstay over 90 days - 1 year - forbidden 5 years.

Normally immigration will not check on the way to the airport. But I suspect that if they see that you have a ticket out and plan to leave and deal with the overstay they will just allow you to go to the airport.

Deportation would be a lot of unnesecarry paperwork.

If, some how, someway, the person is stopped by the police and it is seen in their passport they have overstayed then the police can and will often enough make the arrest right there.

However , everyone knows that money talks so get ready to pay your way out of it...although it may be a heftier sum as compared to the lax rules of yester year.

Cheers

i understand the overstay penalty's but surly there are many valid reasons that need to be investigated, I think people being too lazy or runaways are basically a very minute amount

Also if immigration are monitoring these websites ..here a suggestion after my visit to immigration yesterday

WE ARE CUSTOMERS ...SO TREAT US WITH RESPECT...I was treated with contempt yesterday and my questions were more of an irritation to the officer he was more interested in trying to rip my passport apart....all I wanted to know what they exactly required for a 1 year extension of stay,,,,,,,,,i was the only CUSTOMER in there and 12 officers sitting looking bored.....

Thai Visa should start a link...GOOD AND BAD OF THAI IMMIGRATION

However, aren't you, technically, apprehended at the airport, by way of handing yourself in?

Sure, they will let you pay the fine and fly out, but wouldn't they also forbid you from entering Thailand for 1 year?

Going to airport with the intention of leaving in no way could be considered being apprehended..

The over 90 days rule will be the same at the airport meaning you would be banned for a year for more than 90 days.

i understand the overstay penalty's but surly there are many valid reasons that need to be investigated, I think people being too lazy or runaways are basically a very minute amount

Also if immigration are monitoring these websites ..here a suggestion after my visit to immigration yesterday

WE ARE CUSTOMERS ...SO TREAT US WITH RESPECT...I was treated with contempt yesterday and my questions were more of an irritation to the officer he was more interested in trying to rip my passport apart....all I wanted to know what they exactly required for a 1 year extension of stay,,,,,,,,,i was the only CUSTOMER in there and 12 officers sitting looking bored.....

Thai Visa should start a link...GOOD AND BAD OF THAI IMMIGRATION

Above is one of the reasons I will continue on Multi 0 as long as I possibly can.

• Like 1

The list of penalties is applicable only to overstayers of more then 90 days.

So it should have read overstay over 90 days - 1 year - forbidden 5 years.

Read again. The rules make a distinction between reporting yourself at the border or immirgaiton office and being found out as having an overstay during a check.

If you don't report yourself, it is a ban even if it is less than 90 days.

• Like 1

The document sets out different punishments for simply overstaying, and overstaying and being apprehended.

I may be wrong but I think the apprehension thing would refer to say, you step on your dick in some way and the police get involved and after checking find that you have over stayed ie involved in a bar fight or have a motor vehicle collision and come to their attention. Quite a lot of foreigners get caught this way.

In the case that alien is being apprehended

Overstay less than 1 year forbidden 5 years

Overstay more than 1 years forbidden 10 years

So,,, a 1 day overstay, aren't you technically, "apprehended" by immigrations at the airport?,, You're banned for 5 years?

• Like 1

I thought this would start on or after the 12th of August. If this is starts today I know of 3 people who are screwed. They are booked to go to Cambodia on Saturday. Any advice other than keep u r fingers crossed.

Note to the keyboard warriors I don't care what you think Walter. . Kindly keep your thoughts to yourselves.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Wonder if the bride business will pick up?

Question do you know how easy/difficult it is to get an extension of stay on Marriage? There are however still Embassies around that will issue Multi-Entry Visas, but for how long is anyone's guess.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos