Thailand Immigration confirms new overstay rules are now official

I always carry my Thai DLs.. and I also have on my phone, photographs of my passport, visa, entry stamp and card.. I realize technically these are not the legal way, but also seems to be practical as the reality of carrying your passport everywhere everytime for years on end is simply not realistic.

So far, this hasnt let me down.. Tho I am aware that this has a risk. I dont lose sleep over it.

Good tip. Photograph passport, visa, extension, 90 day report and departure card in you phone. This may not fulfil the strict carriage on your person requirement, but would certainly buy you the time to get home (or hotel) to your safe deposit box to retrieve and show original passport. I NEVER carry my passport, as the loss (or theft of it) of it would have enormous ramifications for ones sanity and would cost a huge chunk of change to replace together with new visa and all the associated BS.

Edited by iancnx

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does seem a bit harsh on those that get apprehended on the way to the airport with say 10 days of overstay and wont be allowed into Thailand for 5 years.

The list of penalties is applicable only to overstayers of more then 90 days.

So it should have read overstay over 90 days - 1 year - forbidden 5 years.

Really, that's nice but it's not what it says is it.

Warning !

The aliens who violate The Immigration Act, B.E.2522 by overstaying more than 90 days in the Kingdom of Thailand will be forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for a certain period of time as follow ;

what do you think it says then?, does it say :

Warning !

The aliens who violate The Immigration Act, B.E.2522 by overstaying more or less than 90 days in the Kingdom of Thailand will be forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for a certain period of time as follow ;

??????

• Like 1

Treat Immigration Officers with respect and you will get respect in return. Having resided in Thailand for ten years and made sure that I am properly attired and behave appropriately when visiting Immigration I have never had a problem. All too often I have witnessed multi-tattooed individuals with numerous rings in various parts of the body, dressed in sleeveless singlets, shorts and flip-flops arguing with Immigration Officers and bemoaning the fact they think they are being treated unfairly. We are visitors in Thailand and if you do not like the rules then go somewhere else.

What a bigoted thing to say. How you dress or what you look like does not define you as a person and everybody should be treated impartially. I learned this in primary school, how old are you?

9995232.jpg

BUT, you/we are not in farangland, we are in LOS where you should show respect to officials by dressing appropriately as the officials do.............coffee1.gif

Perhaps you have a weee bit more to learn about Thai thoughts.

When I go to Immigration I am always fitted out in a suit, sometimes wear a top hat as well. If I see people inappropialtely dressed I tell them that they should get on a plan and go home.

Treat Immigration Officers with respect and you will get respect in return. Having resided in Thailand for ten years and made sure that I am properly attired and behave appropriately when visiting Immigration I have never had a problem. All too often I have witnessed multi-tattooed individuals with numerous rings in various parts of the body, dressed in sleeveless singlets, shorts and flip-flops arguing with Immigration Officers and bemoaning the fact they think they are being treated unfairly. We are visitors in Thailand and if you do not like the rules then go somewhere else.

What a bigoted thing to say. How you dress or what you look like does not define you as a person and everybody should be treated impartially. I learned this in primary school, how old are you?

9995232.jpg

BUT, you/we are not in farangland, we are in LOS where you should show respect to officials by dressing appropriately as the officials do.............coffee1.gif

When I go to Immigration I am always fitted out in a suit, sometimes wear a top hat as well. If I see people inappropialtely dressed I tell them that they should get on a plan and go home.

Forget the top hat, not needed............laugh.png

9995232.jpg

But surely you also see people, who are dressed more for the beach or bar than for a government office..

i remember applying with my GF of the time for a british visa at wireless road.. Some of the guy in the queue looked like they had staggered straight from nana, singha singlet, missus in a spray on lycra dress and stripper heels. Then they wonder why they have a hard time getting a visa.

Does seem a bit harsh on those that get apprehended on the way to the airport with say 10 days of overstay and wont be allowed into Thailand for 5 years.

I suspect common sense would prevail... One would hope..... In that, if the overstayer was in possession of luggage and an in-date flight ticket out, then they would be allowed to proceed to airport immigration.

The document sets out different punishments for simply overstaying, and overstaying and being apprehended.

However, aren't you, technically, apprehended at the airport, by way of handing yourself in?

Sure, they will let you pay the fine and fly out, but wouldn't they also forbid you from entering Thailand for 1 year?

I may be wrong but I think the apprehension thing would refer to say, you step on your dick in some way and the police get involved and after checking find that you have over stayed ie involved in a bar fight or have a motor vehicle collision and come to their attention. Quite a lot of foreigners get caught this way.

If we're being honest, the main target of overstay is not really farang bar-flies, but in fact refugees that you may find in places like Suk soi 3.

• Like 2

I always carry my Thai DLs.. and I also have on my phone, photographs of my passport, visa, entry stamp and card.. I realize technically these are not the legal way, but also seems to be practical as the reality of carrying your passport everywhere everytime for years on end is simply not realistic.

So far, this hasnt let me down.. Tho I am aware that this has a risk. I dont lose sleep over it.

Good tip. Photograph passport, visa, extension, 90 day report and departure card in you phone. This may not fulfil the strict carriage on your person requirement, but would certainly buy you the time to get home (or hotel) to your safe deposit box to retrieve and show original passport. I NEVER carry my passport, as the loss (or theft of it) of it would have enormous ramifications for ones sanity and would cost a huge chunk of change to replace together with new visa and all the associated BS.

Yes, a new passport is 'huge' money isn't it. What a peasant.

Kindly talk me through the process of replacing a lost UK passport, together with a new non O on marriage, and eventual permission to extend (whole process). Please educate all of us as you appear to believe its a seamless undertaking?

• Like 1

Well with the multiple bangkok trips now required, hotels travel, etc.. The presumable overstay issues.. The new visa issues.. Possibly time lost from contract work.. yes it adds up..

My buddy earns 40 - 45k a month USD and recently was prevented from making 2 work rotations.. That cost him over 80k USD in lost work.. I consider that enough to be annoying.

• Like 2

9995232.jpg

Forget the top hat, not needed............laugh.png

Depends on officer discretion IMO.. wink.png

• Like 1

Kindly talk me through the process of replacing a lost UK passport, together with a new non O on marriage, and eventual permission to extend (whole process). Please educate all of us as you appear to believe its a seamless undertaking?

That just might be a little difficult for the guys gray cells to find the answer.....whistling.gif

• Like 2

Heres a thought..With the current huge delays in getting a new UK passport.. If you lose a passport.. Are you not in danger of running foul of these through no (limited) fault of your own and no ill intention ??

Previously the attitude has been, like with medical issues, simply pay the fine and sort it out later.. Now thats less an option.

Heres a thought..With the current huge delays in getting a new UK passport.. If you lose a passport.. Are you not in danger of running foul of these through no (limited) fault of your own and no ill intention ??

Previously the attitude has been, like with medical issues, simply pay the fine and sort it out later.. Now thats less an option.

For me (postman pat listen in) I would request an emergency travel document from the British Embassy to allow me to leave, fly to London, go to passport office and get a new one. Then Thai Embassy for Non O on marriage and return to be reunified with my family. Cost. Return airfare GBP 1000. Bangkok costs £200. London costs £800. GBP 2K. A chunk of change! A lot of time! And real balls aching inconvenience! Edited by iancnx
  • Like 1

If you are cought with overstay it is really up to the officer what to do... They can basically keep you out for 5 years if you have overstayed 7 days or more. The 7 days being the grace period which is equal to the extension you can buy at any immigration office for 1,900 Baht. But again... Its ALWAYS up to the immigration officer in front of you...

Remember thr last rule they made of attaching jail term for overstays more than 20 days... They could but they almost never did.

I agree with stephenaph: Long-term overstayers, when hearing this news, may decide to forget about ever leaving.

Long-term over-stayers may have been lax about clearing their overstay in the past because they heard of others just going to the airport, paying the maximum 20K baht fine, leaving Thailand, and then coming back in on a tourist visa.

If these new rules are effective as of today -- and it sounds like they are -- then the long-term overstayer who is well-settled here may be reluctant to leave the country or ever visit Immigration since it would result in expulsion and, for example, a five-year ban from re-entry.

If so, then random passport checks might become more common...

Foreigners overstaying must be a very small part of crime busting in Thailand, plus its pretty much a victimless crime. All Thailand loses are the visas that the foreigner should of got. There will be a million and one things the normal police would rather be doing than going around checking visa pages. I dont think passport checks will increase just for the purpose of overstayers, this would be waste of police time and money. Check 100 foreigners and maybe you'll get one overstayer but in the meantime alot of time and money spent.

The simple solution to this is provide a simple and clear amnesty period. Then current overstayers will think its worth it plus the state makes some money which they will either never get or maybe have to wait a long time for. And all this is even before you get onto the subject of overstayers that are connected just paying bribes to get it sorted which is possible, been done and probably will be more now.

There clearly was an amnesty period you suggested ending perhaps today. It has been reported in the media for weeks and on Thai Visa for months. The advise to overstayers was to pay up and to immediately leave Thailand to avoid being blacklisted. Some followed this advice while others gambled and lost.

Not really an amnesty was it. More like a period of time when most people sort of knew it wasnt in law yet and then having to guess based on rumours how long it would be before it was law. Which as we can see most got wrong as we all thought it would be end of this month/12th august. There was no official warning from the immigration department in regards to when the new rules would start, only an idea what those new rules might be.

This is not what i call an amnesty period.

As i say, anyone on a current overstay will now probably not go. Some will never pay (too old) and others will just stay and pay later knowing they are banned. The state loses money and if they want to find those people will now have to spend more money finding those people to get the same fines they could of got in an amnesty period. Whether that person goes to jail or not the state still only gets 20,000 baht, so why not get it now !!

Great policy for the future, bad policy for now !

Edited by stephenwithaph

Warning !

The aliens who violate The Immigration Act, B.E.2522 by overstaying more than 90 days in the Kingdom of Thailand will be forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for a certain period of time as follow ;

what do you think it says then //

It says:

In the case that alien is being apprehended: Overstay less than 1 year = forbidden 5 years

... meaning that for 1 day overstay only you could *theoretically* be banned for 5 years if catched.

So robblok is right, even if common sense from Immigration very probably will lead to a not so strong penalty. smile.png

A teaching colleague did his 90 report this morning and received a notice about the overstay rules that he was instructed to sign by the Chiang Mai Immigration officer.

It contained the old text of the proposed rules, including the lifetime ban. So it appears enforcement has begun today and that it is typically uniform, well-trained and impartial. wink.png

I just finished reading the whole thread and it seems this paper (or one with the current version of the rules) was given to 90 day reporters in Jomtien also.

Actually, if we're being honest, I would point to the last 10 minutes of the Junta's speech, which he gave on television a few days after the takeover. Did you listen to the entirety of that speech? In it, he blamed Thailand's poltical unrest on 'the influence of Western movies', and said it was 'time for Thailand to become more Thai again'. That meant something, and it was much more than some people working illegally, or ending so-called corruption. It was about ridding the country of western 'influence. People here will freak if you say that, but those are his words.

Do you have a YouTube video . I want to get it translated

That's the thing about this forum. Full of Walter Mitty types who are living the high life dishing out nothing but puerile arguments.

A fact or two would be enough thanks instead of all this hate.

Feel free to give any 'facts' as and when you have them..

Until then we must speculate on the intentions, implementation and actual desire of the immigration department based on clues, best guesses, and anecdotal evidence.

I suspect common sense would prevail... One would hope..... In that, if the overstayer was in possession of luggage and an in-date flight ticket out, then they would be allowed to proceed to airport immigration.

common sense in thailand good luck to find

So after wasting 30 minutes of my life reading the usual bitter replies. Not one of you can say that this is either happening as of today or as advertised on August the 12th. That's the thing about this forum. Full of Walter Mitty types who are living the high life dishing out nothing but puerile arguments.

A fact or two would be enough thanks instead of all this hate.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bendywire

I DO NOT know if they start today or on the 12th.

What I DO KNOW.

Is that I have just returned from my 90 day reporting. Whole process took about 5 minutes, all the IO staff were smiley and polite. They did not ask me anything about any new rules or procedures. Did not ask me to sign anything.

I do not understand why some people seem to have such a headache with IO staff.

Actually, if we're being honest, I would point to the last 10 minutes of the Junta's speech, which he gave on television a few days after the takeover. Did you listen to the entirety of that speech? In it, he blamed Thailand's poltical unrest on 'the influence of Western movies', and said it was 'time for Thailand to become more Thai again'. That meant something, and it was much more than some people working illegally, or ending so-called corruption. It was about ridding the country of western 'influence. People here will freak if you say that, but those are his words.

Do you have a YouTube video . I want to get it translated

No, I don't. It had a running english translation along the bottom at the time. It wasn't the one that was repeated frequently, it was a one time deal. I've probably said too much already.

Edited by John1thru10

I just had my Mrs call Bangkok Immigration as I myself have a flight to Vientiene tonight and I'm on a 3 and a half month overstay. She said it is confirmed. It starts today and applies to all current overstayers and not people who start overstaying from today.

Why object to the penalties when following the rules is so easy? Some people say " well, okay, but it shouldn't apply to me". Yes it does.

• Like 1

I just had my Mrs call Bangkok Immigration as I myself have a flight to Vientiene tonight and I'm on a 3 and a half month overstay. She said it is confirmed. It starts today and applies to all current overstayers and not people who start overstaying from today.

If this is the case the Thai state has probably just lost 100s of thousands of baht in fines, for which some of will never be paid or paid alot later. Most current overstayers will not go but instead stay or look at bribe options.

Well thought out.........not !!

• Like 1

Not one of you can say that this is either happening as of today or as advertised on August the 12th.

That's the thing about this forum //

Problem of this forum may also be people who give false information, like you in this message... rolleyes.gif

Overstay rules have never been said to start on August 12.

August 12 is the date when the "no more visaruns" rules will start at airports too. Now only at land borders.

Edit: Wrong quote owner. Sorry.

Edited by Pattaya46