Thailand Immigration confirms new overstay rules are now official

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It starts today and applies to all current overstayers and not people who start overstaying from today.

If this is the case the Thai state has probably just lost 100s of thousands of baht in fines, for which some of will never be paid or paid alot later. Most current overstayers will not go but instead stay or look at bribe options.

Well thought out.........not !!

I don't know, but I think most long overstayers must have exit Thailand as soon as these rules have be announced. Just pay 20'000 baht and you are clean when you come back, with a visa. At least it's what I would have done...

For those who may have choose to hide I think it's a bad choice. Hard to imagine they will not have to leave Thailand one day or an other, and then it will be for years...

Edited by Pattaya46

It starts today and applies to all current overstayers and not people who start overstaying from today.

If this is the case the Thai state has probably just lost 100s of thousands of baht in fines, for which some of will never be paid or paid alot later. Most current overstayers will not go but instead stay or look at bribe options.

I don't know, but I think most long overstayers must have exit Thailand as soon as these rules have be announced. Just pay 20'000 baht and you are clean when you come back, with a visa. At least it's what I would have done...

For those who may have choose to hide I think it's a bad choice. Hard to imagine they will not have to leave Thailand one day or an other, and then it will be for years...

The gap between when the rumours started regarding blacklisting and now is only a couple of weeks and even that news wasnt official, only gossip and assumptions.

If someone is in a bad position regarding money is likely that would not of changed within a couple of weeks. Also i guess alot of people would of been planning to do something either this week or next. They wont now !!

This was no real amnesty period and the sudden announcement without notice shows me that this is probably a western hating punishment policy rather than anything else !

I'm thinking about the person there is trying to hide, stupid of course , but think how you must live. Afraid of everything. One maybe turn you in, travel on road and meet a checkpoint, knock on the door and so on, strange people in the village arrive , hide behind windows all time... Not a good life.

• Like 1

None of this is retroactive is it? I mean I did have a 3 year overstay a couple of years ago.....I am going to Laos tonite for a non O based on being a father......

Can I ask ? Are you over 50? I looked (a little) into this and saw a sticky on this subject saying you must be over 50 to use this exception (or whatever the technical term would be)

Also,

I thought the rules weren't to be enforced until August 12th? So now it's as of the 20th of this month?

Lots of people are FKED

They was FKED the day they decided to overstay.!!!! I don't want to be evil to people, but right now many a crying about the new rules there is in forced. Accept this is there's country and there's rules and laws, you are allowed to stay here as a guest. People had plenty of time to sort this out. Like another member said. I'm a customer. Or Some other said I used 100000 of baht every month here or millions every year, I'm a good customer. Yes you are a good customer, but you have to accept you are a guest and you have to followed the laws. You can not demand wink.png

Yes there are rules and law, and the law is for overstay is the maximum fine 20000 baht, and the was no other risk, so why you damm people for doing overstay?

SO you never drove motorbike without helmet? or you never drove to fast in Thailand?

or you never paid a woman for a night ? (Prostitution is illegal)

so you break the law and what would you think if the the fine would include to be black listed?

there are many reasons to be on an overstay, even can be a clear decision,

I was thinking about, I had a NON O Multientry and had to make visarund every 3 month,

took a day, budriving made me sick, costs about 1500 Baht, so if you calculate all together,

then why not use this optiion pay 20000 Baht and come back. This was the rule until now, and if somebody made it,

then he made the cecision, but this not make people a criminal!

breaking law in Thailand is very easy and get fined much easier, even you do nothing wroong

• Like 1

In my mind, it's fare enough to ban people for overstaying.

But then, why make it harder for those people to leave, by demanding 20,000 baht first?

Do they want overstayers to leave? Or do they want to make it harder for them to leave?

What does 20,000 baht pay for?

If those people pay 20,000 baht - especially for a couple of months - then that's a lot more revenue than if they hadn't overstayed.

So, overstayers pay WAY more than someone with the right visa - that was supposedly the punishment.

Banning people is the punishment now - so why make them pay 20,000 baht first?

Why are overstayers called 'free loaders', if they are paying more than anyone else?

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

This was no real amnesty period and the sudden announcement without notice shows me that this is probably a western hating punishment policy rather than anything else !

Do you have any stats about who the long-overstayers are? Why do you think they are mainly "Western guys"?

There are many (even a lot) of Chinese and Korean people living and working here in long overstay.

I would bet they are far more than farangs in this case.

Do you have any stats about who the long-overstayers are? Why do you think they are mainly "Western guys"?

There are many (even a lot) of Chinese and Korean people living and working here in long overstay.

I would bet they are far more than farangs in this case.

You could be correct, maybe my wording was wrong but i think you and others know/knew what I meant. Ok I'll correct to "foreign" hating punishment. But surely most are from European/US/ Austarlia/New Zealand/Canda etc

Remember they seem to consider close neighbours in a different light !

Edited by stephenwithaph

Yeah, but what is the chance of anyone on overstay less than a year ever being apprehended?

I assume apprehended doesn't count at the airport waiting in line with a ticket to leave, lol?

This could, however, be problematic for people who are working and they must leave before midnight when a contract ends. If there is a small mistake with when the contract actually ended and if you are then apprehended at your room (of course they know where you stay if you have been doing 90 days reports)facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Edited by Water Buffalo

I think the logic is notice was given two weeks ago. Those who had the funds (20k) were free to leave. Those who didn't leave we're either complacent because they never took the new penalties seriously and will now face the music if caught, or, were those who cannot scrape up 20k baht. The latter no doubt will continue to find it difficult to get the 20K together, and no amount of amnesty will help this group. The former are just plain daft for not leaving immediately 2 weeks ago. Not laughing at either group. Now the reality is here it really is a total sh1t position to be in.

Why do people think the new rules are harsh and "tuff"? That the law, and people ought to abide by it. To illustrate the point, some years back I overstayed my visa in an African country by two weeks. On my way out, I was arrested at the airport by the Immigration police. After an hour long "court case" (at the airport), I was deported and banned from that country for 10 years! How's that for comparison?

so how you would feel if you would have a kid there or gf or wife?

or may be a condo or bussiness?

you would still say yes this rules are fair and nobody has to complain

I had a great experience at Jomtien Immigration this morning. Went in for my annual retirement extension. Had everything put together just right, took a seat with my queue number showing on my clipboard. A young woman was walking around, saw my number, and lead me over to her desk. She looked through my paperwork, handed back 3 or 4 things, took my 1900 baht and gave me the plastic chit. She said "come back tomorrow" and apologized for the delay (because usually the passport would be ready by late the same day). Total time in & out the door, four minutes, I kid you not. I gave her the biggest smile I've given anyone lately.

But, as I went out past the reception desk, there was a nicely-dressed farang speaking to the queue master in a polite way, explaining that "at the moment my passport is in America". Oh boy! I didn't stick around to see how that turned out! blink.png

+1...I had the exact same experience last week. In + out in 10 minutes. Picked-up my passport with the new stamp the next day...

None of this is retroactive is it? I mean I did have a 3 year overstay a couple of years ago.....I am going to Laos tonite for a non O based on being a father......

Can I ask ? Are you over 50? I looked (a little) into this and saw a sticky on this subject saying you must be over 50 to use this exception (or whatever the technical term would be)

Also,

I thought the rules weren't to be enforced until August 12th? So now it's as of the 20th of this month?

Lots of people are FKED

They was FKED the day they decided to overstay.!!!! I don't want to be evil to people, but right now many a crying about the new rules there is in forced. Accept this is there's country and there's rules and laws, you are allowed to stay here as a guest. People had plenty of time to sort this out. Like another member said. I'm a customer. Or Some other said I used 100000 of baht every month here or millions every year, I'm a good customer. Yes you are a good customer, but you have to accept you are a guest and you have to followed the laws. You can not demand wink.png

Yes there are rules and law, and the law is for overstay is the maximum fine 20000 baht, and the was no other risk, so why you damm people for doing overstay?

SO you never drove motorbike without helmet? or you never drove to fast in Thailand?

or you never paid a woman for a night ? (Prostitution is illegal)

so you break the law and what would you think if the the fine would include to be black listed?

there are many reasons to be on an overstay, even can be a clear decision,

I was thinking about, I had a NON O Multientry and had to make visarund every 3 month,

took a day, budriving made me sick, costs about 1500 Baht, so if you calculate all together,

then why not use this optiion pay 20000 Baht and come back. This was the rule until now, and if somebody made it,

then he made the cecision, but this not make people a criminal!

breaking law in Thailand is very easy and get fined much easier, even you do nothing wroong

It don't make it more right, you breaking the law

My friend had a motorbike accident here in Thailand . He was unable to make the border , because he was in ICU. Got fined 1500 bath for overstay even he was in ICU. He did not decided to overstay and it was legitimate. People there is lazy, or I don't care, make the choice to overstay people saying I'm a rich farang ,I have the money I pay the fine I don't care I just pay. This is the one I see as abuser and FKED

No I don't break any laws. Don't go with girls, don't drink, because I'm one of them there is in Thailand cause of religion and want to become a monk. I have already been in the temple as white monk.

Edited by carstenp

I think the logic is notice was given two weeks ago. Those who had the funds (20k) were free to leave. Those who didn't leave we're either complacent because they never took the new penalties seriously and will now face the music if caught, or, were those who cannot scrape up 20k baht. The latter no doubt will continue to find it difficult to get the 20K together, and no amount of amnesty will help this group. The former are just plain daft for not leaving immediately 2 weeks ago. Not laughing at either group. Now the reality is here it really is a total sh1t position to be in.

Not really, there are other options if you know the right people ! But those other options will mean the Thai state doesnt get the money but instead an individual which was partly my point earlier. before today people would not have any reason to look at other options because it was a simple pay 20,000 and leave. Now that its more complicated then other methods will come in.

As i said its a great policy for the future but for now they will lose alot of revenue and will not get current overstayers to clean out !

Bad day for Thai immigration policy

Edited by stephenwithaph

Why do people think the new rules are harsh and "tuff"? That the law, and people ought to abide by it. To illustrate the point, some years back I overstayed my visa in an African country by two weeks. On my way out, I was arrested at the airport by the Immigration police. After an hour long "court case" (at the airport), I was deported and banned from that country for 10 years! How's that for comparison?

so how you would feel if you would have a kid there or gf or wife?

or may be a condo or bussiness?

you would still say yes this rules are fair and nobody has to complain

Post #180. I feel really sorry for the dependant families, many of which I suspect had no clue about any of this in any detail!

Normally immigration will not check on the way to the airport. But I suspect that if they see that you have a ticket out and plan to leave and deal with the overstay they will just allow you to go to the airport.

Deportation would be a lot of unnesecarry paperwork.

I agree --- but it will depend on the attitude of the overstayer. Reading TVF contributions gives an impression that some will choose the "hard-nosed" way ;)

• Like 1

We seem to be accepting that any overstay is accidental or unavoidable.

Is it really hard to respect some of the most simple of laws here?

so when they will change the rules to:

when you get caught driving motorbike without helmet then you will get deported and banned for 1 year,

you just say respect the rules,

or when you buy a condo and you get ripped off by the thai seller,

police say to you: sorry but this is thailand respect the rules

rules must not be good or fair

Remember they seem to consider close neighbours in a different light !

Usually true, and I think it's logic to facilitate "exchanges" with countries that have common borders.

In this overstay case I think everyone is in the same situation. In fact I reacted to your message because I know a smallish Chinese restaurant that has closed last week. Seems like all the family (from very young children to the grandma) were illegals in overstay... They are said to have left Thailand last week to get a visa... Maybe...

• Like 1

now it really is a must to carry your passport and arrival card with you....as the police are busting a lot of places ,you could get caught up in it...now

the immigration has got tough ..if you are a foreigner..they will wont to see if you are a over stay...would be a bonus for them to get some

overstayers..as well as the bust..

i feel any reason to stop you..the first thing they will wont is you passport with arrival card...and it wont work its in my hotel..they will take you there

for proof...plus the aggro of going to get it...

for me now i will always carry it....

now it really is a must to carry your passport and arrival card with you....as the police are busting a lot of places ,you could get caught up in it...now

the immigration has got tough ..if you are a foreigner..they will wont to see if you are a over stay...would be a bonus for them to get some

i feel any reason to stop you..the first thing they will wont is you passport with arrival card...and it wont work its in my hotel..they will take you there

Can you post some examples of this happening, or are you just imagining what might happen?

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

You play the game, you take the knocks.

If all the over stayers had played by the rules, there wouldn't be this toughening by the authorities.

I've seen posts here encouraging others not to bother renewing, citing it as an economic exercise, the cost border runs, etc., versus the over stay fine.

There would now be some regretting their selfish and foolish actions.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Can you post some examples of this happening, or are you just imagining what might happen?

He's saying, it "might/could" happen,, it's the LAW to carry your passport at all times,, But, "usually" a copy of the correct items in it, or a pic in your phone of them is enough to satisfy an officer,, Yes, they could STILL either hold you until someone brings the ACTUAL passport to you, or take you to your home to get it... The reason, (I believe) that they normally don't got to those lengths,,, is they're too busy making tea money, for no helmets, etc, etc, etc,,, and detaining you, or going with you to get it... is time they're NOT on the street, collecting "fines",,, esp if the copies/pics seem to be in order, and it's more or less a "waste of their time",,, MY opinion only...

Edited by Adeeos
  • Like 2

You play the game, you take the knocks.

If all the over stayers had played by the rules, there wouldn't be this toughening by the authorities.

I've seen posts here encouraging others not to bother renewing, citing it as an economic exercise, the cost border runs, etc., versus the over stay fine.

There would be some regretting their selfish actions.

Stop calling people selfish and criminals all the time.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

For those not yet understanding this notice.

It's divded in two parts:

Part 1 - Voluntarily (If you report yourself either to the Immigration Bureau or Airport then you're good if within 90 days)

Part 2 - Apprehended (That means you get stopped by police or get for in an accident then you get a ban even if it's 2 days).

Pretty simple.

• Like 2

He's saying, it "might/could" happen,, it's the LAW to carry your passport at all times,, But, "usually" a copy of the correct items in it, or a pic in your phone of them is enough to satisfy an officer,, Yes, they could STILL either hold you until someone brings the ACTUAL passport to you, or take you to your home to get it... The reason, (I believe) that they normally don't got to those lengths,,, is they're too busy making tea money, for no helmets, etc, etc, etc,,, and detaining you, or going with you to get it... is time they're NOT on the street, collecting "fines",,, esp if the copies/pics seem to be in order, and it's more or less a "waste of their time".... MY opinion only...

I think you're right. And one thing I would advise a person on overstay to never, ever do (before leaving), is to go to bar areas, or drive. Every time I hear about a friend being stopped, it's always when driving a bike, a car, or leaving a gogo nightclub-area. Basically, don't be seen partying.

Edited by John1thru10