Number of tourist arrivals in Koh Samui declines this year

webfact

It would be interesting to see the Jan - July 2014 stats for other beach tourism hotspots such as Phuket and Hua Hin.

That way, we would have a better picture if the drop in numbers quoted in the OP is specific to Sumui, or reflects a broader issue across Thailand.

I loved the atmosphere of Sumui back in the 1990's, but, for me, the island is now over-developed and has exceeded critical mass.

It is like a pretty girl who wears too much make-up.

• Like 1

Problem lies with, Bangkok air monopoly, flights cost too much, where u can fly so cheaply elsewhere...

Mum just told me friends of her wanted to fly to Samui in September, they changed their plans for Krabi after they noticed the flight costs to Samui are a total of 600 Euros higher for a family of 4.

Edited by CaptainS

Problem lies with, Bangkok air monopoly, flights cost too much, where u can fly so cheaply elsewhere...

Mum just told me friends of her wanted to fly to Samui in September, they changed their plans for Krabi after they noticed the flight costs to Samui are a total of 600 Euros higher for a family of 4.

Meet many people from Europe that fly into Samui, and they think the price is reasonable .... perhaps more checking on Airlines and prices, cos that seems high ..... ???

As for going to Krabi in September.... it's still rainy season over that way.... better bring the umbrellas! wink.png

Look at second page here! expected rainfall here is much less!

http://www.tmd.go.th/programs%5Cuploads%5Cforecast%5C2014-06-27_Seasonal_EN_142127.pdf

what would Samui be like with a second airport, budget flights, and loads of package “lower end” tourists from bunches of cheap charter flights; more like Phuket…?

It will only be for people trying to make money, normal long term stayer will have no place here.