Land Department denies foot-dragging on bad land in Phuket

webfact

Land Department denies foot-dragging on bad land in Phuket
Suthicha Sirirat

1406006564_1-org.jpg
Thammasak Chana: 'Land Department officials are not – as the media have suggested – indifferent to this problem.'

PHUKET: -- Following a recent announcement that land papers for 89 parcels of land infringing on the Sirinart Marine National Park can be cancelled immediately, the Land Department has moved to counter accusations that it has been dragging its feet on cooperation with the investigation.

At a meeting at Provincial Hall, Thammasak Chana, national deputy director-general of the Land Department explained to Governor Maitri Inthusut, “Land Department officials are not – as the media have suggested – indifferent to this problem.”

The problem, he said, was that the Land Department had not received sufficient evidence to warrant cancellation of land papers for land alleged to be in the park, nor any official request to do so.

As an example, he cited three plots in Sakoo subdistrict, totalling about 290 rai. All three appear to be in the park yet the “owners” – Nakorn Wongsithong, Anoma Fangsen and Chan Pongpa – had applied for freehold Chanote papers in 2010.

Mr Thammasak said, “The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Concervation (DNP) objected to these plots receiving Chanote titles because, it said, the Royal Forestry Department had already paid compensation to the SorKor 1 holders when the National Park was established in 1964.

“But we have seen no evidence yet that they did receive compensation.”

Another 20 plots, he said, could not be precisely located. Of these, 14 are cases are already in the hands of the Department of Special Investigation.

These are the sites of the abandoned Phuket Peninsula Resort & Spa, Central & City Development (part of West Sands), land held by Landstate, land held by Suchada Sangsuwan, the Andaman White Beach Resort, Suree Samrit (Malaiwana development), Pavilion Beach Resort, La Colline Project, Layan Beach Resort, Three Dolphins (Trisara), Phuket Arcadia (Pullman Resort), a private home owned by a foreigner, Malaiwana Hills and the Istana development.

“But the fact is that the Land Department is in the process of checking all the plots that are alleged to be in Sirinat National Park.

“We have heard from the National Anti-Corruption Commission that if they were to be sold today, the price for all of them would be about B1 billion.

“If that is the case, then, [if we are requested to] we have to restrain any approvals.

“But we have not received any official request yet. If the Land Department does get such a request, then the plots will be considered [for cancellation] for sure, according to legal procedure.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/land-department-denies-foot-dragging-on-bad-land-in-phuket-47452.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-22

• Like 1

The basic facts are indisputable, the land in question was part of a national park and now it isn't. That didn't happen by magic, the land office had to facilitate it. Did it happen 10, 20, 30 years ago or when the current director was in short pants ? Who knows? The fact remains that it happened, and now we'll see if anything is going to be done about it.

Edited by AJBangkok
  • Like 1

"had applied for freehold Chanote papers in 2010"

I hope to see many land officials soon to be moved to an inactive post as their names are all over illegal paperwork.

Just need to reclaim their ill gotten funds as well and I will be happy.

One just has to laugh out loud about this guys protest

His line quoted here"The problem, he said, was that the Land Department had not received sufficient evidence to warrant cancellation of land papers for land alleged to be in the park, nor any official request to do so." says it all.

The National parks mob have spoken already many many times in the press about this matter. Why would one protest so much when the Military will sort it within in minutes of hearing any protest.

I imagine a new guy will get this job soon.

'

This is a deal breaker between the Thai public and the Junta.

The little people have already lost their beachside claims and their tin pot businesses.

If these big time criminals are allowed to trade on with impunity the seeds of revolution will have been sown.

The statement by this guy that "Another 20 plots... could not be precisely located" is either the most repugnant or moronic I have ever witnessed.

I extracted the following paragraph from the text: Locating illegal land titles in Phuket for Dummies

"Fire up google earth and get an A4 piece of cellophane. Trace the boundary of the National Park with a red marker pen. Then scan around for each of the 20 plots in question. Once located hold the cellophane up against the screen of the computer. If the plot is inside the boundary of the National Park it is illegal and you cancel the Chanote".

The little people have already lost their beachside claims and their tin pot businesses.

If these big time criminals are allowed to trade on with impunity the seeds of revolution will have been sown.

The statement by this guy that "Another 20 plots... could not be precisely located" is either the most repugnant or moronic I have ever witnessed.

I extracted the following paragraph from the text: Locating illegal land titles in Phuket for Dummies

"Fire up google earth and get an A4 piece of cellophane. Trace the boundary of the National Park with a red marker pen. Then scan around for each of the 20 plots in question. Once located hold the cellophane up against the screen of the computer. If the plot is inside the boundary of the National Park it is illegal and you cancel the Chanote".

Soon google map will be banned! Thread for national security, i guess :-) Edited by bronco10250

One just has to laugh out loud about this guys protest

His line quoted here"The problem, he said, was that the Land Department had not received sufficient evidence to warrant cancellation of land papers for land alleged to be in the park, nor any official request to do so." says it all.

The National parks mob have spoken already many many times in the press about this matter. Why would one protest so much when the Military will sort it within in minutes of hearing any protest.

I imagine a new guy will get this job soon.

'

Yes! Put a new, coup-approved, "get the job done now" kind of leader who will not take a bribe. Send this guy to an inactive post and start checking his finances over the last 10 years.

• Like 1

You have nailed it there Bulldozer, this guy is either void of any brain function or shady characters have made an offer he cant refuse. Give it up guy and tell all to the good Generals, they will look after you. They are your only hope.

• Like 1