Traditional southern-style BBQ

Southern Style BBQ  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

^^^^^^,

the wrong location can kill a business, yet again two words spring to mind, Chocloate Ville, located in the ass end of nowhere in Bkk, yet the masses flock there in their droves.

I wish you well in your venture, I am waiting to eat your products.

Sorry to say have seen it all before, on these 3 years leases, the landowner gives a sweet deal to get you in.

Then kicks you out and tries to copy your business.

Best of luck.

There is or used to be a place in Bangkok called the Great American Rib. As much as I like smoked BBQ, I refuse to eat there because I think the food is way overpriced (yes, I can afford it, but that is not the point). The menu is also confused with both smoked BBQ and Mexican items. And no beef brisket or sausage is served. The best smoked BBQ places that I have ever eaten at have the following characteristics: the menu is very simple, the interior is very simple, the owners focus on doing a few things the right way, the portions are large, and the prices are reasonable. Now I am hungry for a combination beef brisket and sausage sandwich! Thais might actually like smoked chicken/sausage/ribs with the right sauce (e.g. tamarin sauce). I think you will have to attract Thais to make a profit.

I've tried the "Great" American Rib before. I'll just say I was not impressed, and leave it at that. What you've described is exactly what I'm talking about. Simple, friendly, affordable and kick-ass food! That's what I want to do. That's what I miss.

I also agree about the Thais. The advantage of doing BBQ is that it is a style of food that they are familiar with and like already. And once they have the real deal, I'm sure they'll be lining up around the block. At least, I would if I found a great smokehouse.

Damn it! I'm making myself hungry again!facepalm.gif

^^^^^^,

the wrong location can kill a business, yet again two words spring to mind, Chocloate Ville, located in the ass end of nowhere in Bkk, yet the masses flock there in their droves.

Sorry to say have seen it all before, on these 3 years leases, the landowner gives a sweet deal to get you in.

Best of luck.

There is or used to be a place in Bangkok called the Great American Rib. As much as I like smoked BBQ, I refuse to eat there because I think the food is way overpriced (yes, I can afford it, but that is not the point). The menu is also confused with both smoked BBQ and Mexican items. And no beef brisket or sausage is served. The best smoked BBQ places that I have ever eaten at have the following characteristics: the menu is very simple, the interior is very simple, the owners focus on doing a few things the right way, the portions are large, and the prices are reasonable. Now I am hungry for a combination beef brisket and sausage sandwich! Thais might actually like smoked chicken/sausage/ribs with the right sauce (e.g. tamarin sauce). I think you will have to attract Thais to make a profit.

^^^^^^,

Best of luck.

Great American Ribs was on the high side of price, but their pulled pork sanwiches were as good as any I got back in NC, wife loved the chili with its big beef chunks, and their ribs were grat, soft and full of flavor, and their sauce, just needed a kick of heat to make it better. The Nachos were woth us driving for a treat on thos e lazy days. My opinion would be they were great and have no idea why they closed. I lived in NC for the last 16 years before comming here, and would kill for some good pulled pork and vinegar based sauce, but my ribs I love hot as hell, some hushpuppies, cole slaw and Ice tea, thats a meal!!
  • Like 2

^^^^^^,

Best of luck.

Great American Ribs was on the high side of price, but their pulled pork sanwiches were as good as any I got back in NC, wife loved the chili with its big beef chunks, and their ribs were grat, soft and full of flavor, and their sauce, just needed a kick of heat to make it better. The Nachos were woth us driving for a treat on thos e lazy days. My opinion would be they were great and have no idea why they closed. I lived in NC for the last 16 years before comming here, and would kill for some good pulled pork and vinegar based sauce, but my ribs I love hot as hell, some hushpuppies, cole slaw and Ice tea, thats a meal!!

A few years ago in Jomtien there was a place called Cafe Deli or something like that.

Nothing fancy, the decor was nothing to write home about, but the food was excellent.

Rubeuns sandwich was about 300 baht, but was a meal in itself.

Concur with the above ref Ice Tea, my mrs makes her own, and I aint talking this sugary sweet Nestea crap.

A decent place selling southern style chicken , coleslaw etc would attract farangs and Thai.

I'm from SC and the bbq sauce there was ok, but then I moved to Texas. The brisket is to die for. Big smokers and you can smell it from 2 blocks away. Big buildings, picnic takes, served on was covered paper. Most of the bigger BBQ restuarant s hold 100 or more people. Most are dry rub with the sauce on the table. Man, right now I'm missing Rudys in Austin. Home.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I'm from SC and the bbq sauce there was ok, but then I moved to Texas. The brisket is to die for. Big smokers and you can smell it from 2 blocks away. Big buildings, picnic takes, served on was covered paper. Most of the bigger BBQ restuarant s hold 100 or more people. Most are dry rub with the sauce on the table. Man, right now I'm missing Rudys in Austin. Home.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Warning: The following pictures are highly offensive. Children under the age of 18 should not view these pictures. Thank you.

post-110622-0-37817400-1406797335_thumb.

post-110622-0-58960200-1406797355_thumb.

post-110622-0-52753300-1406797414_thumb.

post-110622-0-02200400-1406797485_thumb.

post-110622-0-86209300-1406797502_thumb.

post-110622-0-44313900-1406797537_thumb.

Been here 16 years but the pics remind me of South Carolina pull pork spread on a bed fried potatoes and onions topped with a couple of poached eggs smothered in hollandaise sauce. Yum!

Not sure what you mean about Great American Rib Co. closing.

They just opened a new location at the new Central Embassy Mall near Ploenchit BTS, and AFAIK, still continue to operate their original location on Suk Soi 36, which just passed its 10th anniversary in business, which is pretty good for BKK. They also have a branch in Hua Hin.

http://www.greatrib.com/contactus/

AFAIK, it's run/founded by an American, and I've had some pretty decent BBQ pork ribs and pulled pork at their Suk Soi 36 branch. But the wife and I tried their Central Embassy location a few weeks back, and were disappointed with the food we were served.

The one thing I've noticed in eating at GARC in the past, is they have tended to draw a decent share of Thai diners, who apparently can enjoy BBQ pork. So at least they don't have to live or die entirely on the tourist or expat trade.

I'm an American, and I enjoy BBQ a lot. But from a marketing perspective, with GARC and Roadhouse and various other places that already serve individual BBQ ribs on their broader menus, I'd be a bit nervous.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

To Bigbadthaijohn (aka. OP): The menu at the "Great American Rib" is a perfect example of what not to do. I think you could remove 98% of the food items they are serving and focus on smoked BBQ: beef brisket, pork ribs, smoked ham, pork sausage, chicken, potato salad (no horrible french fries), baked beans, maybe other vegetables (fried okra, green beans), bread slices, jalapeno slices (too expensive to serve one entire jalapeno to each customer like many places do in the USA), tea, coke, two or three BBQ sauces (tomato based for Texas BBQ fans, vinegar based for NC BBQ fans, and perhaps tamarind based for Thais). There you have it..........the entire menu. A major mistake restaurant owners make over here is to focus on too many food items. Pricing is another issue. Pork and chicken products are not that expensive, but to make beef brisket the price goes up, even in the USA. I have eaten the "smoked brisket" at the Roadhouse and it was awful and cost a fortune: extremely dry with virtually no smoke taste. Good beef brisket has a lot of fat in it to start with, a major problem with Thai beef. As you know, one of the least expensive smoked brisket items is good ole chopped beef:

post-110622-0-55468900-1407046395_thumb.

• Like 1

To Bigbadthaijohn (aka. OP): The menu at the "Great American Rib" is a perfect example of what not to do. I think you could remove 98% of the food items they are serving and focus on smoked BBQ: beef brisket, pork ribs, smoked ham, pork sausage, chicken, potato salad (no horrible french fries), baked beans, maybe other vegetables (fried okra, green beans), bread slices, jalapeno slices (too expensive to serve one entire jalapeno to each customer like many places do in the USA), tea, coke, two or three BBQ sauces (tomato based for Texas BBQ fans, vinegar based for NC BBQ fans, and perhaps tamarind based for Thais). There you have it..........the entire menu. A major mistake restaurant owners make over here is to focus on too many food items. Pricing is another issue. Pork and chicken products are not that expensive, but to make beef brisket the price goes up, even in the USA. I have eaten the "smoked brisket" at the Roadhouse and it was awful and cost a fortune: extremely dry with virtually no smoke taste. Good beef brisket has a lot of fat in it to start with, a major problem with Thai beef. As you know, one of the least expensive smoked brisket items is good ole chopped beef:

Awful roadhouse that has been around so many years?

:wacko:

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

wacko.png

McDonalds has also been around many years, but that does not mean the place has good hamburgers, IMHO. I am extremely familiar with excellent smoked BBQ. I was fed that instead of "mother's milk," so I think I know the good stuff. The Roadhouse, which was virtually empty when I visited, served me the worst smoked beef brisket that I have ever eaten! The food was way overpriced. I did see a woman with her face buried in what looked like good smoked ribs, so perhaps the Roadhouse is better known for its ribs. Why focus on ribs? They are easy to make, cost-effective and lots of people like ribs. Lots of people also like good smoked beef brisket with ribs:

post-110622-0-12864100-1407054894_thumb.

• Like 1

wacko.png

McDonalds has also been around many years, but that does not mean the place has good hamburgers, IMHO. I am extremely familiar with excellent smoked BBQ. I was fed that instead of "mother's milk," so I think I know the good stuff. The Roadhouse, which was virtually empty when I visited, served me the worst smoked beef brisket that I have ever eaten! The food was way overpriced. I did see a woman with her face buried in what looked like good smoked ribs, so perhaps the Roadhouse is better known for its ribs. Why focus on ribs? They are easy to make, cost-effective and lots of people like ribs. Lots of people also like good smoked beef brisket with ribs:

I wait anxiously for the day you open your restaurant ...

I have a Brinkmann smoker and do a lot of cooking, mostly pork loin and ribs. Not sure where you'd find beef suitable for brisket. I make my own suace a bit spicy to suit Thai tastes for the family. Hickory and Mesquite chips from True Value are expensive but I buy them anyway

As Mesquite can make the meat a bit bitter, IMHO, I'm going to try out some locally sourced apple tree wood first to see how that is. Deciding on the best wood available will be part of the set up process.

Try mango. Not bad. Free too. Hickory is my first choice in Thailand but pricy. Haven't see pecan.

Edited by bangsaenguy
  • Like 1

I have a Brinkmann smoker and do a lot of cooking, mostly pork loin and ribs. Not sure where you'd find beef suitable for brisket.

It exists. Several places in Chiang Mai make really good corned beef and pastrami and I'm pretty sure that it is the same cut of meat.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

I bring apple, hickory, cherry, and alder from the US each trip for smoking. I bring mesquite for grilling. It wouldn't do for a commercial endeavor, but it is fine for my personal use.

After reading this thread more than one time, I am going to try and make Carolina pulled pork for Sunday. I've "pulled " a few recipes online, and I'll give it a go. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

I bring apple, hickory, cherry, and alder from the US each trip for smoking. I bring mesquite for grilling. It wouldn't do for a commercial endeavor, but it is fine for my personal use.

After reading this thread more than one time, I am going to try and make Carolina pulled pork for Sunday. I've "pulled " a few recipes online, and I'll give it a go. Wish me luck!

Good luck! There have been several threads on "what wood to use for smoked BBQ." Interestingly, some people have claimed that it is possible to use dried coconut husks and sugar cane stalks.

• Like 1

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I'll see how it goes.

As Mesquite can make the meat a bit bitter, IMHO, I'm going to try out some locally sourced apple tree wood first to see how that is. Deciding on the best wood available will be part of the set up process.

Try mango. Not bad. Free too. Hickory is my first choice in Thailand but pricy. Haven't see pecan.