Traditional southern-style BBQ

Southern Style BBQ  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, the chocolate chip cookies are as good as anywhere back home, but the faster you eat them, the better. No preservatives, so after a few hours, the texture starts changing. They are still good the next day or after being put in the fridge, but not EXCELLENT like when they are in the first few hours after being made. The brownies are great too. No frosting, but otherwise outstanding.

Edited by Ulysses G.

There's a place called the Farm between Huay Kaew and Canal rd. Where people meet for fresh french breads, Quiche, Pizza, Brioche, Crescent, loaves of every kind of bread you can think of, and other homemade spreads, health juice... The French Baker and his wife have a bakery here and every Sat morning he brings hundreds of fresh items. Free coffee from an American producer. I buy enough pizza and quiche for the week and freeze it. It is definitely NOT Thai altered. Now I have to battle brownies and cookies. Your a good man Ulysses. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hello Forum Friends!

We just joined this forum today and were happy to find this post. We are an American couple who have just moved to Bangkok after ten years in China. Although we are new to living here, we have been to Bangkok over 30 times in the past ten years. The reason we have moved is to open an authentic BBQ smokehouse and, at the moment, we are debating between a few locations. It would be just want is talked about above, a no frills, down to earth, properly run place with decently poured drinks in addition to authentic BBQ. We are hoping to be open in 4 to 6 months!

We fully understand ALL the challenges doing business here will pose, but after doing business in China we feel we can handle anything! We opened a very successful restaurant in Chengdu, China in 2011. We sold it a few months ago to start a new chapter in our lives.

Please privately email us with any thoughts, but please no discouraging comments as we are fully committed to this. We are realistic people who have been learning all the challenges here for two years (that is when we first started researching Bangkok for this project). We have a few meat suppliers lined up, but any recommendations would be graciously received.

In addition, if anyone who has lived in Bangkok for a long time and feels that could give us some helpful tips, we would happily exchange beer or cocktails for your time.

Looking forward to filling a niche here in the near, near future!

Dana and Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Texas is the Lone Star state. So Lone Star is Texas BBQ. But I don't know which Texas BBQ.

Within Texas, though, there are 4 separate sub-styles: East Texas (marinated in a sweet, tomato-based sauce), Central Texas (rubbed with spices and cooked over indirect heat from pecan or oak wood), West Texas (cooked over direct heat from mesquite wood giving it a somewhat bitter taste) and South Texas (features thick, molasses-like sauces that keep the meat very moist).

Then there's "barbacoa", which is different still (traditionally prepared in a hole in the ground which is covered with leaves and uses goat or mutton).

I voted "no," but then I saw this post. You know your stuff. I would love some mesquite bbq. Where are you going to find the mesquite trees? Also I like your sides, greens and cornbread. I haven't found mustard or collard greens anywhere in this country. And only sporadically have I found cornbread, especially yellow cornbread and not the sweet spongy stuff. So, yea, I might be interested in this after all.

• 5 months later...

Hello! The Smokin' Pug BBQ Restaurant and Blues bar just opened on February the 13th on 88 Surawong Road next door to the Tawana Hotel in the Patpong area. We are a down to earth place that really smokes their meat. We have a few large Texas smokers on our rooftop. Currently, we are in our soft opening phase and are offering a 25% discount on all food and drinks (no exceptions) until early March. We are most proud of the pulled pork and spare ribs. Three sauces, Kansas City, North Carolina and a ginger sauce are put on the table to choose from. The menu will slowly be expanded to include shrimp and grits, smoked duck breast, brisket, etc...

We are not doing much advertising while we work out the kinks and train so we might be difficult to find. Call or text Danny at 0830297598 with any questions! We are only open for dinner (6pm to 11pm) for now and closed on Mondays.

We also hope to have live music in the very near future.

Come check us out!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! The Smokin' Pug BBQ Restaurant and Blues bar just opened on February the 13th on 88 Surawong Road next door to the Tawana Hotel in the Patpong area. We are a down to earth place that really smokes their meat. We have a few large Texas smokers on our rooftop. Currently, we are in our soft opening phase and are offering a 25% discount on all food and drinks (no exceptions) until early March. We are most proud of the pulled pork and spare ribs. Three sauces, Kansas City, North Carolina and a ginger sauce are put on the table to choose from. The menu will slowly be expanded to include shrimp and grits, smoked duck breast, brisket, etc...

We are not doing much advertising while we work out the kinks and train so we might be difficult to find. Call or text Danny at 0830297598 with any questions! We are only open for dinner (6pm to 11pm) for now and closed on Mondays.

We also hope to have live music in the very near future.

Come check us out!

Does this announcement have anything to do with the OP's post about opening a Southern-style BBQ place in Bangkok ? Or is it just a thread hijack ?