Some Durian And Other Fruit Strains In Nonthaburi Face Threats Of Extinction

Jai Dee

Some durian and other fruit strains in Nonthaburi face threats of extinction

More than 30 strains of durian indigenous to Nonthaburi have already been extinct.

Kittipong Tritaruyanon (กิตติพงศ์ ตรีตรุยานนท์), a Kasetsart University researcher, said several local plants in Nonthaburi, including durian, mango, Malay apple and long pepper, are on the verge of extinction because farmers have turned to grow other fruits which enjoy higher market demand and prices.

Mr. Kittipong said Nonthaburi, which used to have as many as 64 kinds of durian, now has only 26 strains left. Fruits are grown in only 15.44% of the areas while flowers and ornamental plants, many brought in from other provinces and abroad, take 52.57% of planting areas, he said.

Only Wat Suan Kaew (วัดสวนแก้ว) has helped conserve rare durian strains, he said.

Mr. Kittipong urged the government to promote agro-tourism in Nonthaburi to increase income of orchardmen and encourage them to go back to produce indigenous fruits.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 July 2006

• 1 month later...

This surprises me quite a bit. When I was back at my house at the end of June, my fiance's brother took me to a state-run nursery. The place was huge, probably several dozen rai in size, although if you didn't know it was there, you could easily drive right past it.

At that location, they had several separate growing areas, each maybe 1/2 rai up to about 1 rai in size. They grew all mannger of shrubs, trees, flowering plants, etc., that are native to the region.

The plants were free for the taking with some proof of local address. My fiance's brother showed his driver's license and we drove off with probably two dozen plants, 2 or 3 each of 8 or 10 different types.

The people working there explained that the goal is to ensure preservation of native flora.

This place was on the south side of Highway 113 about 2/3 of the way from Phetchabun to Chon Daen if you happen to have access to that area. Sorry I don't recall the name.

Oh, one other thing as my fiance's brother suggested. It was hotter than Hades the day we went, and we made sure to bring some cold drinks and snacks for the people who were working out there in that heat all day long. They were very appreciative of the gesture.