A Phuket Time-Lapse Film

Ronny777

I was just about to post this as well as your Bangkok & Chiang Mai timelapse videos (saw those on Facebook)  to the Youtube thread :) Great work and thanks for sharing. 

I specially liked the Phuket town traffic shots as well as the end of this video. 

What kind of equipment and techniques did you use to take these videos? How did you take the Bangkok video moving timelapse videos? Did you place your camera to some sort of moving platform?

Bangkok timelapse:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UREdFi72aww&sns=fb 

Great videos thanks. There is a guy on YouTube who uploads a new timelapse from Patong tower every week. :-p

I would also like to know how to do this. Is it function that needs to be supported by the camera or can this be done using editing software?

Great videos thanks. There is a guy on YouTube who uploads a new timelapse from Patong tower every week. :-p

I would also like to know how to do this. Is it function that needs to be supported by the camera or can this be done using editing software?

Do you have the link for these videos?

Generally some cameras support timelapse videos natively. Then there are extra software kits, for example CHDK foro Canon pocket/bridge cameras http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK or Magic Lattern for Canon DSLR's http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki whic add new functions and settings to the cameras. Timelapse being one of those. 

I used the CHDK to make some timelapse videos, which I'm not going to link here after seeing the OP's far better quality and the amount of work he had to do to make the videos :D

Timelapse function will take photos for example every 1 second and then these photos need to be put together to create a video (on Linux using mencoder). 

Do you have the link for these videos?

Generally some cameras support timelapse videos natively. Then there are extra software kits, for example CHDK foro Canon pocket/bridge cameras http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK or Magic Lattern for Canon DSLR's http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki whic add new functions and settings to the cameras. Timelapse being one of those. 

I used the CHDK to make some timelapse videos, which I'm not going to link here after seeing the OP's far better quality and the amount of work he had to do to make the videos biggrin.png

Timelapse function will take photos for example every 1 second and then these photos need to be put together to create a video (on Linux using mencoder). 

Here is 1 of the Patong tower ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8LFmo6gobE

I am a bit of a dummy when it comes to cameras so installing FW versions with extra features is something I tend to avoid. Does that invalidate the warranty? I know the Canon S120 has a similar feature which it calls 'star lapse' or something similar. It looks like timelapse but in all the demos it's used at night so no idea if it can be used in the daytime as well.

Does anyone know of any other point and shoot cameras that offer this functionality natively? I've just sold my Sony Nex 3N and wanted to get something more portable. Was looking at the Nikon S1 but it seems the body and lens both do not support any sort of IS which I find nuts.

Here is 1 of the Patong tower ones.

I am a bit of a dummy when it comes to cameras so installing FW versions with extra features is something I tend to avoid. Does that invalidate the warranty? I know the Canon S120 has a similar feature which it calls 'star lapse' or something similar. It looks like timelapse but in all the demos it's used at night so no idea if it can be used in the daytime as well.

Does anyone know of any other point and shoot cameras that offer this functionality natively? I've just sold my Sony Nex 3N and wanted to get something more portable. Was looking at the Nikon S1 but it seems the body and lens both do not support any sort of IS which I find nuts.

Thanks for the link. Those could be interesting documents if something would happen on Patong Bay. 

I have only experience about the Canon CHDK software. It installs to the memory card and does make any changes to the existing firmware. It only adds more features to the camera. For the warranty, simply remove your SD card or clear it and the camera is back to normal :) I did send my camera to the warranty service after using the CHDK and there was no complains from Canon. Of course I did not mention that had used alternative software on the camera. Then again, I'm not going to be the one who will pay your bills if something goes wrong :)

If you have the S120 just give it a try and let us know how well it behaves. One of the tricks is to put a camera with timelapse function to sit on the egg-timer, which slowly rotates. It could make a nice video when placed to a beach or intersection. 

Thank you everyone for your comments. To simplify, Time-Lapse basically means taking a photo every few seconds. Thus, any camera can do Time-lapse (including Lego camera). 

The difference however, certain camera would have better function for Time-Lapse than the other. Example, the function to add intervalometer (automatic-shutter click) to the camera or have tripod support. 

What kind of equipment and techniques did you use to take these videos? How did you take the Bangkok video moving timelapse videos? Did you place your camera to some sort of moving platform?

Any DSLR camera should be good enough. 

Regarding the technique, you can read an article from Bangkok Post Learning here:

<link removed>

Good luck smile.png

Edited by Tywais
Sorry, but links to Bangkok Post are not allowed.
  • Like 1

@ronny777: How did you move the camera (with tripod) during the shots? Especially on Bangkok video scenes around the monuments. 

Nice one Ronny777.  Quite entertaining. 

I met a guy a few years back who would do time lapses of the stars, from clear skies, in several different countries.  He would occasionally capture the odd shooting star as well.  It was nice art work. 

My Olympus EM-1 has intervalometer capability built in to it and wanted to try my hand at time lapse.  The main concern, especially with dSLRs, is shutter life times with Canon for example specifying 50,000 - 150,000 clicks.  Of course cameras with electronic first curtain shutters will be less susceptible to this 'wear out'. 

However, occasional times isn't a big issue as exposures every second takes 3600 frames (shutter clicks) in 1 hour.  Longer delays fewer frames in that one hour.  Still something to consider when thinking of setting your camera up to shoot for 24 hours (power tethered of course)   smile.png

//edit - BTW, nice job.  Would be good to have the specifics in greater detail.

My Olympus EM-1 has intervalometer capability built in to it and wanted to try my hand at time lapse.  The main concern, especially with dSLRs, is shutter life times with Canon for example specifying 50,000 - 150,000 clicks.  Of course cameras with electronic first curtain shutters will be less susceptible to this 'wear out'. 

Do you have ideas of the costs of replacing the shutter on cameras (for Canons or EM-X) and how to know if the camera has electronic first curtain or not?

Do you have ideas of the costs of replacing the shutter on cameras (for Canons or EM-X) and how to know if the camera has electronic first curtain or not?

Bit off topic regarding your question - Some information on finding your camera's current shutter count including online calculators - http://digital-photography-school.com/finding-your-cameras-current-shutter-actuations/

I believe the 1st curtain shutter technology is moderately new.  Here is some info about it - http://www.robertotoole.com/2014/01/28/electronic-first-shutter-curtain/

And I also may be off in my understanding of 1st curtain (electronic) shutter as it relates to time lapse so may be a good question to bring up in the Photography Equipment forum. 

I've read shutter replacements are around the $150 to $300 USD mark depending on brand/model.

Thanks for the info. The main point is that the cost of the shutter system change would not be equal to the price of a new camera. Therefore it's possible to keep on taking pictures without having to worry that the shutter cost would become substantial. 

The general shutter function as well as electronic first curtain would be a good own topic on it's own. I still don't understand how the EFSC really works and why it's not enabled by default on newer cameras (70D on the linked example) - eg. what are the downsides? Would the secondary shutter have generally a longer life expectancy compared to the first shutter?

• 2 weeks later...