applying for the retirement visa in New York

I've got a few questions, hoping there are some Americans who have obtained the non O-A visa in New York City. I'm trying to get it all done before arriving in Thailand. Yes, I know it is easier to just get the non-O in the US and convert it to a O-A in Thailand, but I hear there may be a chance of paying lower duty when importing personal belongings if you obtained the O-A visa in your home country.

I'm looking at the requirements here

http://www.thaicgny.com/%E0%B8%A0%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AD-%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A4%E0%B8%A9-english-version/visa/o-a-visas/

I have a Florida driver's license, but I'll be staying in New Jersey. If I apply at the NY consulate, will they tell me I have to go someplace else ? like the Embassy in Washington ?

"Three copies of bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year."

I prefer to prove the income because proving the deposit balance can get complicated. What qualifies as such a certificate ? Yes, I know everyone goes to the Embassy in Bangkok and gets a notarized letter, but I'm talking about doing this in the U.S. I'll have a federal pension when I reach age 50.

"Letter of guarantee from the bank (original copy)."

Guarantee of what ?

"Three copies of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record issued in the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence. Verifications must be less than 3 months old."

I can go to any sherrif's department to get this, but will they accept one from a sherrif's department in New Jersey ? or does it have to match the locality on my driver's license ?

If you can obtain the O/A visa that his good on his own, but do not count on it for paying lower custom duties on your items sent to Thailand.

Custom officer are know to ignore any written law or regulation and keep your property until you pay the amount that they only establish.

By the way, you cannot convert a Non-immigrant O to a O/A in Thailand. You will obtain an extension of stay for one year, that works almost the same.

I had limited dealings with the Thai consulate in NYC. About 10 years ago I went there for a tourist visa. It was on the upper east side, I entered through the street-level entrance of a brownstone (they may have moved, and I can't recall what street exactly). At the counter was a lad who didn't seem very sharp, didn't even look at the stuff I filled in on the application (maybe couldn't read another alphabet), but the really important thing was that I needed the exact amount for the fee (I think it was $25 and I had given him three $10 bills). I had to go out and find a place to get two fives, not fun in a residential neighborhood (especially one where no one has anything smaller than a fifty laugh.png ). Eventually I got back, the lad stapled the cash to application, and I was told to come back the next day. Since I was staying in Westchester I would have been willing to paying an expediting fee for same-day, but the lad shut me up as soon as I began to ask, though I believe he didn't know what I was saying.
I mention all this because I would think you'd like to limit the number of trips into the city just to deal with this. You may want to call ahead and ask if someone will be there that you can discuss these things with. I would think also that for the kind of visa you want it would do you well to dress up a bit, so wear a sport jacket.

While there I used their bathroom: no soap, towels or tp, just like Thailand!

You can use the NY consulate the embassy and consulates do not enforce any areas of responsibility.

For proof of income it would be a notarized document from your pension provider or whom ever provides it.

For money in the bank it would be a letter from the bank confirming your balance and account.

You will not get reduced duty on your household goods because you will not have a work permit. See: http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

The background check should be from where you are living. Where you go to get it depends upon the state where you live. Some states have a centralized application center.

You will not receive any favorable treatment for importation of household items because you have an O-A visa. This is reported all over the internet, in error, Siam Legal used to have it on their website (maybe they still do) and it led us astray. The only way a retiree receives favorable customs treatment is if married to a Thai national and the household goods are imported in the name of the Thai national.

We jumped thru all sorts of hoops to get O-A visas in the U.S. thinking we'd have favorable treatment by customs, only to encounter major problems with customs here. Big waste of time and money to get the O-A and also in trying to fight with customs thinking we had the golden visa. In the end, they had the upper hand, of course. We spent more trying to fight them than if we'd just paid their duty demands up front.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

I'll have a federal pension when I reach age 50.

Then you will have a Leave and Earnings statement and The Thai Consulate in New York will accept that as proof of sufficient income (65K THB per month)

I can go to any sherrif's department to get this, but will they accept one from a sherrif's department in New Jersey ? or does it have to match the locality on my driver's license ?

A local criminal records check is all that is needed. Your local police or Sheriffs department should be willing to give you a letter on their letterhead stating that you have no record in their files. The New York Consulate will accept this

The DL question would have to do with the local police or Sheriffs Department policies. I doubt if they will give you a letter if you don't have some proof of residence in their jurisdiction and in the US a Drivers license is the usual method of proving your residence