Phuket drug courier caught with B2.3m of crystal meth

webfact

Phuket drug courier caught with B2.3m of crystal meth
Anthika Muangrod

1406026478_1-org.jpg
Contemplating a bleak future: Daeng with the gold tea package containing the crystal meth.

PHUKET: -- In an indication of the size of Phuket’s meth consumption, a drug courier was caught in Rawai yesterday (July 21) in possession of a kilo of crystal methamphetamine (ya ice) with a street value of about B2.3 million.

This was just one consignment; Sang “Daeng” Sompak, 30, admitted he was making pickups four or five days a week, sometimes as much as three times a day, though not all were such large consignments.

Police explained today that, following a tip-off, officers had been shadowing Daeng for a month. Once they were sure he was involved in the drug trade they obtained a search warrant for his home.

Yesterday they waited for him for three hours and when he arrived at last, they pounced, searching his home and finding the kilo of ya ice.

Under questioning Daeng denied the drugs were his, saying that he was only the courier. He explained that he would receive a call to tell him where to pick up the drugs and giving him the number of the person he was to deliver them to.

The drugs would be left for him at a “dead drop” somewhere in the Rawai area, usually packed in a gold bag labelled “Guanyinwang Tea”.

After the pick-up he would contact the person who was to receive the drugs and set up a meeting to hand over the narcotics.

He told the police that he had been a courier for seven or eight months and earned B10,000 baht each time he made a pick-up. The money would be in the parcel when he collected it.

He explained that he had been a speedboat driver but was now unemployed and had family problems, so when a friend suggested this new line of work it seemed like a good way to solve his money woes.

He admitted he had a meth habit himself and had occasionally taken samples from the consignments.

He was charged with possession of a Category One drug with intent to sell. Investigators are now zeroing in on the dealer.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-drug-courier-caught-with-b2-3m-of-crystal-meth-47472.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-23

It's sort of funny in an ironic way, because as a foreigner here, I am thoroughly enjoying learning about the wealth of Thai herbs and healing modalities you cannot easily obtain in the West, and so easily available for almost all people here in Thailand. So when I read of all the drug consumption, and of such chemically dangerous material, it amazes me because people could instead be leading such healthy, positive lifestyles through the use of healthy herbs.

Edited by me313
  • Like 1

And where is the 2nd package? smile.png

Just joking...

Off in the slammer he goes - anyone involved in the drug trade, regardless if mule, dealer, producer, etc. should face life, since life is what they take away from the naive kids who become addicts because of scum like this.

No finger pointing, by the way... and no slapping video... I'm disappointed smile.png

Edited by catweazle

Catweazle

Ask yourself why it is only ever the mules and low level dealers who get caught and prosecuted !

You could hang , draw and quarter these guys and absolutely nothing would change , a new courier would be on the streets in minutes.

Narcotics are big business and I would imagine some very influential people are involved along the line , you see them being locked up any time soon ?

It's sort of funny in an ironic way, because as a foreigner here, I am thoroughly enjoying learning about the wealth of Thai herbs and healing modalities you cannot easily obtain in the West, and so easily available for almost all people here in Thailand. So when I read of all the drug consumption, and of such chemically dangerous material, it amazes me because people could instead be leading such healthy, positive lifestyles through the use of healthy herbs.

Yes the US DEA wanted Thailand to stop opium and Ganga production. Great, now the country is over run with meth heads…. Brilliant plan! It's SO MUCH BETTER now! Bring back the old ways...