4-year-old Lahu boy found living alone since two in Chiang Rai

webfact

4-year-old Lahu boy found living alone since two in Chiang Rai

CHIANG RAI: -- A 4-year-old Lahu boy has been rescued and adopted by an abbot of a local temple in Tambon Maeyao of Chiang Rai's Muang district after a Khoa Sod newspaper reporter found that he has been living alone at shanty house since he was two years old.

His mother died when he was born and his father has mental problem and left home since he was two, Khao Sod Online reported.

Khao Sod reported that the boy survived by knocking the doors of neighbours for foods but he has been sleeping alone at his house.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/4-year-old-Lahu-boy-found-living-alone-since-two-i-30239326.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-24

So the neighbours knew about this and didn't do anything? More to this than is reported I think.

He is Lao...

Correction, he is Lahu.

i dont understand how your reply correlates to the persons question.

- or do you mean that (because of his background) they didnt help him (because he was not thai).. ?

Something not right here. . Living alone but neighbours knew? Not saying its not true but fifficult to belueve he has not had a lot of help. But any which way you look at it its not good..:-((

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Let me make it simple for you. If you've been here any length of time I'm sure you've heard the Thai expression, "Not my business!" This was a frequent refrain of my Thai ex wife's. For example, I would ask, (As she drove through an accident scene at 80 K,) "Darling, That man on the motorcycle has just been hit by a semi truck, shouldn't you stop the car so we can render assistance?" Her reply, "No darling, it's not our business." In the context of, "It's not my business" this is very easy to understand.

• Like 1

Something not right here. . Living alone but neighbours knew? Not saying its not true but fifficult to belueve he has not had a lot of help. But any which way you look at it its not good..:-((

Let me make it simple for you. If you've been here any length of time I'm sure you've heard the Thai expression, "Not my business!" This was a frequent refrain of my Thai ex wife's. For example, I would ask, (As she drove through an accident scene at 80 K,) "Darling, That man on the motorcycle has just been hit by a semi truck, shouldn't you stop the car so we can render assistance?" Her reply, "No darling, it's not our business." In the context of, "It's not my business" this is very easy to understand.
Yes I understand that and agree. But not in this context the child being a 2 year old. The story reported would be a little short on detail. I just hope the child is not out the pot and now in the fire. Plain enough?

Father wasn't gone.

Father still there, but a hopeless drunk who staggers round the village.

(his wife died in childbirth, so he had good reason)

Home was a shack on stilts, not all that bad for the area.

(I have a very similar shack on my farm)

Was on the Thai morning news.

So, not abandoned and living alone, just neglected.

From the photos of the boy, he was being helped by those around him.

Didn't look thin, or dirty and a smart school uniform.

By the time these stories are translated to English, they are usually hopelessly exaggerated.

PS

Usual from the Thai bashing crowd.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was having trouble getting my head around this one - a kid that young fending for himself in a village? No, no way. Nobody could be that heartless to allow that to happen. At least I hope not. Fingers crossed that the kiddy gets some decent breaks from now on.

• Like 2

Father wasn't gone.

Father still there, but a hopeless drunk who staggers round the village.

(his wife died in childbirth, so he had good reason)

Home was a shack on stilts, not all that bad for the area.

(I have a very similar shack on my farm)

Was on the Thai morning news.

So, not abandoned and living alone, just neglected.

From the photos of the boy, he was being helped by those around him.

Didn't look thin, or dirty and a smart school uniform.

By the time these stories are translated to English, they are usually hopelessly exaggerated.

PS

Usual from the Thai bashing crowd.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was having trouble getting my head around this one - a kid that young fending for himself in a village? No, no way. Nobody could be that heartless to allow that to happen. At least I hope not. Fingers crossed that the kiddy gets some decent breaks from now on.
Well put! Keyboard Warriors jump as usual.

So the neighbours knew about this and didn't do anything? More to this than is reported I think.

He is Lao...

Correction, he is Lahu.

i dont understand how your reply correlates to the persons question.

- or do you mean that (because of his background) they didnt help him (because he was not thai).. ?

U understand; lao, lahu, hmong....khmer...burma...

he is not a thai person , so he is like a dog or nothing...

Thailand , Land Of Smile post-4641-1156693976.gif

ah ok.

i understand now.

its these moments of realization that make me sad at the shape of people in the world... a real pity...

then again,, class-ism is everywhere,, (not just thailand). i can think of many related examples back home too.

Just this morning I was talking with my wife about the phase 'mai bpen rai'. I told her that it seems sometimes this phrase means 'No problem' and other times it seems to mean "It's not my business/problem". Nice to have a phrase that can one can use to release themselves from any sense of responsibility.

Why on earth wouldn't the neighbours have taken him in or got help for him. Shame on them. What's happened to compassion? Disgusting. Poor little baby.

Did you read my post, or are you just Thai bashing?

Village life is entirely different to life in the west. Children wander around fairly freely, and are fed at whatever house they happen to be, when food is being prepared.

PS

Life in a temple.

Many junior schools are located in temples, if the kid stays in the Temple, it will probably just extend his school hours.

One of my nieces attended temple school at Doi Saket, until she was 13, quite a nice place. It's the one on the road between Doi Saket and Bosang. They also have classrooms in the temple at the top of the hill.

PPS

I have 5 hanging around with me at the moment, aged 2-6, 1 Thai (mine), 4 Burmese (parents around somewhere, maybe). The Burmese just wandered in to watch cartoons and play football. It's the way it works.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

There is the same situation with a 9 year old girl in Sang Khom village NongKhai province, the girls folks have been gone for years and this beautiful child takes care of herself by selling fruit and veggies and giving shoulder and back rubs, she refuses to sleep with any of the other villagers and although the villagers buy her school supplies and clothes, the local child welfare authorities, if there is such a thing, are unaware of the situation or don't care OR the village mayor has not reported it. The girl looks well nourished but the rest of the village seems to care less as if this is not a problem.

Amazing, this shows true inner strength I wish him well

My heart is almost stopped.

A 2 years old boy lives alone till he is 4 years old.

Congratulation for Thai social system, to neighbors, to his relatives and to local wat also.

SHAME

Yes, and that is when I say, darling you are so completely wrong. It is your business. That man is suffering and we are going to provide help. If you do not want to get involved, get out of the car right now, and take a taxi home. But, we are going to help. By going along with incorrect behavior, we are condoning it. We must maintain our standards and principals in life. Even if they do not fit onto our current environment. It is about who we are as men. So, a woman who has no moral compass cannot, and should not sway our bearing, or conviction. Ignorance is never a justification for poor behavior.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Typical Thai selfishness

"Not my business" attitude is so rampant in Thailand. At an intersection, a lorry/truck spilled gallons of motor oil making a wide swath of the tarmac slick with oil. I figured if someone on a motorbike did not see this - he/she would be risking life and limb. Nobody even thought of doing something about it. My home was not far away - to I picked a shovel and a bucket and rode back site. There was a pile of sand nearby and I started filling the bucket and hauling it to spread over the oil spill. Some people a a nearby shop saw what I was doing and that was the only time they started moving.

A homeless child with out any guardians? Who the f@*K cares? Sad really.

Yes, and that is when I say, darling you are so completely wrong. It is your business. That man is suffering and we are going to provide help. If you do not want to get involved, get out of the car right now, and take a taxi home. But, we are going to help. By going along with incorrect behavior, we are condoning it. We must maintain our standards and principals in life. Even if they do not fit onto our current environment. It is about who we are as men. So, a woman who has no moral compass cannot, and should not sway our bearing, or conviction. Ignorance is never a justification for poor behavior.

• Like 2