Still time to clear your overstay without blacklisting

Another rumour for the treadmill..... but my source on this is pretty good.

The current cap on overstay fines, 20,000 baht, will end 10th December...... no higher cap was mentioned. So anything over 40 days, you will be paying more...

And if you are caught, and cannot pay, you will be getting locked up.

Perhaps another flushing attempt..... like the subject of this old thread.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

The current cap on overstay fines, 20,000 baht, will end 10th December...... no higher cap was mentioned. So anything over 40 days, you will be paying more...

An unconfirmed bar stool rumour ?

Why post this nonsense ?

Why post this nonsense ?

He said his source is pretty good. Could be some high official in immigration.

• Like 1

Why post this nonsense ?

He said his source is pretty good. Could be some high official in immigration.

Those who spread rumour ALWAYS claim to have "a pretty good " source !

That is just code for drunken bar stool gossip !coffee1.gif

The cap cannot be removed so easily, because it's That law:

Section 81 : Any alien who stay in the Kingdom without permission or with permission expired or revoked shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or both.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf

Of course, the gov.t in charge could issue an emergency order suspending or amending current law, but that has not happened so far on any matter except for their initial take of power.

Already is locked up one is caught to stay illegally, in all cases. The money issue is after courts sentencing to pay fine, ticket and accessory costs.

• Like 1

Well considering the Ministry of Interior has just recently approved the new blacklisting on overstayers and has sent in on to Prayut to finalize. In my opinion it will come into law very soon.

Al that I have seen in the news is that the proposal done by the police/immigration was sent to the PM for approval. No mention of the interior ministry,

I think the only way the PM can change the rules is by using article 44 of the interim constitution since the punishment is limited by the immigration act. The only way to change it is for it to be amended or revised by parliament. I think that is why immigration's original proposal done in May of last year was never approved.

• Like 1

Well considering the Ministry of Interior has just recently approved the new blacklisting on overstayers and has sent in on to Prayut to finalize. In my opinion it will come into law very soon.

Al that I have seen in the news is that the proposal done by the police/immigration was sent to the PM for approval. No mention of the interior ministry,

I think the only way the PM can change the rules is by using article 44 of the interim constitution since the punishment is limited by the immigration act. The only way to change it is for it to be amended or revised by parliament. I think that is why immigration's original proposal done in May of last year was never approved.

I wonder if anyone has made a list of items being enforced by article 44? As you say UJ, probably the only way it could be enforced without parliament revising.

A more interesting question I find is what happens to enforced changes under the article when a proper government is democratically elected to power?

Edited by chrisinth

According to the MFA (Source: VFS Global Bangkok) last week, the proposal was pushed by the MOI but it is still on the desk at Prayuth. They are still analyzing the data of how many foreigners are overstaying their visa and immigration are compiling the data including demographics and report back to the MOI.

• Like 1

let's hope you are correct. About time this was addressed.

Cannot see any fair minded people disagreeing with this.

Edited by Red Parrot Fish

I think the smart move would be to introduce these penalties, but with a grace period of, say, six months with no blacklisting for those who turn themselves in. They want to encourage the overstayers to become legal, not make it impossible for them to do so without abandoning their families here.

• Like 1

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/865576-PM-Prayuth-to-decide-on-tough-new-penalties-for-foreigners-who-overstay

"The new, tougher penalties, which have been approved by the Interior Ministry, have been passed to PM Prayuth for his approval."

It clearly states that it has been approved by the interior ministry and has been passed on to the PM.

Edited by ldiablo

BritTim - To be fair I think that given that these potential rules have been mooted since the summer of last year I suspect that many have used this period to address their overstay; certainly I took the hint and dealt with it. For those who haven't yet it would be somewhat of a gamble to assume that a period of grace may be allowed. If Art 44 is invoked then normal protocols of notice in the gazette etc are not necessarily guaranteed..My experience is that once the overstay has been cleared, even ones that are extremely long, immigration seems to consider the matter as closed. If those blacklisting rules do get introduced it will be a entirely different ball game so better to deal with it now while this window of opportunity still clearly exists.

Edited by gilo
  • Like 1

BritTim - To be fair I think that given that these potential rules have been mooted since the summer of last year I suspect that many have used this period to address their overstay; certainly I took the hint and dealt with it. For those who haven't yet it would be somewhat of a gamble to assume that a period of grace may be allowed. If Art 44 is invoked then normal protocols of notice in the gazette etc are not necessarily guaranteed..My experience is that once the overstay has been cleared, even ones that are extremely long, immigration seems to consider the matter as closed. If those blacklisting rules do get introduced it will be a entirely different ball game so better to deal with it now while this window of opportunity still clearly exists.

glio - I agree with you that anyone on overstay now should clear it up without delay. The new penalties could certainly be introduced with virtually no notice. I said a grace period would be smart, not that there would be one.

However, some will hope for the best until faced with an ultimatum. Further, those who do not read ThaiVisa and who live in the sticks may not be aware of the pending changes. I would give these people a well publicized choice:
  • Do nothing and face severe consequences once the grace period ends
  • Leave, paying the find but avoiding blacklisting. This would allow people married here with limited funds to scrape together 30,000 baht to go to Savannakhet for a multi entry Non-O.
  • Leave with no fine but being blacklisted. This would provide a way out for some indigent individuals, trapped here because they do not have enough money, to leave.
The carrot and the stick usually works better than either in isolation.
  • Like 1

glio - I agree with you that anyone on overstay now should clear it up without delay. The new penalties could certainly be introduced with virtually no notice. I said a grace period would be smart, not that there would be one.

However, some will hope for the best until faced with an ultimatum. Further, those who do not read ThaiVisa and who live in the sticks may not be aware of the pending changes. I would give these people a well publicized choice:
  • Leave, paying the find but avoiding blacklisting. This would allow people married here with limited funds to scrape together 30,000 baht to go to Savannakhet for a multi entry Non-O.
  • Leave with no fine but being blacklisted. This would provide a way out for some indigent individuals, trapped here because they do not have enough money, to leave.

Just a couple of questions ........

1. Why would someone need 30,000 Bht to obtain a multi entry non "O" visa, based on marriage, from Savannakhet ?

2. How would a person "without enough money" afford a flight out ?

I doubt they would scrap the fine.

Just a couple of questions ........

1. Why would someone need 30,000 Bht to obtain a multi entry non "O" visa, based on marriage, from Savannakhet ?

2. How would a person "without enough money" afford a flight out ?

1. 20,000 baht fine. The rest visa, travel and hotel costs.

2. Not all could. However, 13,000 baht one-way air ticket is easier to find than 33,000 baht (20,000 baht fine plus the air ticket). In some cases, family or friends could be persuaded to swing for the non-refundable air ticket if that was the limit of what was required.

Why post this nonsense ?

Far from a barstool source, although not 'first-hand'. Look to the OP of this thread, blacklisting, which, after 16 months has not happened. Did you have the same comment for that post?

I was not the only one hearing this 'barstool gossip', which occurred well before the sun passed the yardarm.......

I am actually glad to hear the maximum fine of B20,000 is written in law, as an unlimited one would drive people into deeper hiding.

Sorry if I wasted people's time.

Edited by jacko45k

• 3 weeks later...