Still time to clear your overstay without blacklisting

Bit out of the way I know but Thai Embassy in Seoul doing multi non O without need for evidence of bank book. Normal copy of house book, wife's ID card-back and front, marriage cert , wife's passport-they do like to see family name the same . At exchange it's about 6100 baht.

CASBO

"You are wrong. I have been reading and interpreting law for 25 years. You both are reading it incorrectly."

OK, how do you read it?

Mac

i was about to write the same :)

ScottMallon has a good picture show the rules.. How do you read it

Bit out of the way I know but Thai Embassy in Seoul doing multi non O without need for evidence of bank book. Normal copy of house book, wife's ID card-back and front, marriage cert , wife's passport-they do like to see family name the same . At exchange it's about 6100 baht.

From what I understand of others postings, if many long term overstayers don't have the necessary funds to clear their overstay AND then make the necessary return crossing to get a proper visa, they will almost certainly not have the funds necessary to get such as a non-O extension, an ED, or an elite, so these latest announcements are MORE likely to drive such overstayers even further underground...

Just my humble opinion..

There will always be people that fall through the gaps -

The difference now is that the days of the lackadaisical "don't worry about it, just pay the 20,000 baht when you exit" mindset are over.

• Like 1

The way it reads to me is if you voluntarily report your overstay - for instance go to immigration at Swampy - then the first set of penalties listed apply.

If, however, you are apprehended i.e. caught anywhere else and the overstay is detected then the second set of penalties apply.

So it may mean an apprehended over-stayer will face a blacklisitng for any period of overstay, even less than 90 days.

I'm sure others will interpret this differently, but I wouldn't take the risk if I was in the overstay situation.

Interpret it differently? that's clearly what it says, no interpretation necessary.

You are wrong. I have been reading and interpreting law for 25 years. You both are reading it incorrectly.

These cryptic messages are of no use to anybody.

In stead of just saying 'you are wrong' please explain to us how this should be read.

• Like 1

Hypothetically , would the police actually bother going to somebody's place of work or abode to apprehend somebody on more than 90 days overstay after a tip off?Or would they not bother?

At this moment in time apprehended people only get a fine or blacklisted?

Hypothetically , would the police actually bother going to somebody's place of work or abode to apprehend somebody on more than 90 days overstay after a tip off?Or would they not bother?

Yes they would, and before people start moaning, I have stood and watched it happen. To be fair, the Thai guy that made the call is well connected, but within fifteen minutes the police were on the premises and detained a guy.

The guy that was detained deserved it - he was certainly one of the infamous low-life farang of legend - and he drew attention to himself.

Idiot.

• Like 1

Yes they would, and before people start moaning, I have stood and watched it happen. To be fair, the Thai guy that made the call is well connected, but within fifteen minutes the police were on the premises and detained a guy.

The guy that was detained deserved it - he was certainly one of the infamous low-life farang of legend - and he drew attention to himself.

Idiot.

Thanks. Just what I wanted to hear. Was he just fined or blacklisted?

What <deleted> comes to a foreign country and knowingly overstays his or her visa?? Deserves what's coming to them....

See post No. 23. I wish someone would answer my question about whether it's possible to go to a land border, pay the fine, go out in a wheelchair and turn around to come in to get a 30 day stamp?

Please, have some compassion.

What <deleted> comes to a foreign country and knowingly overstays his or her visa?? Deserves what's coming to them....

See post No. 23. I wish someone would answer my question about whether it's possible to go to a land border, pay the fine, go out in a wheelchair and turn around to come in to get a 30 day stamp?

I had no problem activating the 2nd part of my triple entry tourist visa the other days at Ban Laem.

The lady in front of me was told by the guy that runs the visa run business that she would only get 7 days. She needed 2 weeks because that's when her flight home was booked back to Canada. She provided proof and was granted 15 days.

I think the back to back 30 days is over but email the visa run company for confirmation

Fly in before August 12th and you'll get your 30 days I think

Edited by jonaz

It depends on your nationality.

CASBO

"You are wrong. I have been reading and interpreting law for 25 years. You both are reading it incorrectly."

OK, how do you read it?

Mac

i was about to write the same smile.png

ScottMallon just showed the penalties, and not the text leading up to it.

You can`t just leave out that.

Casbo probably interpreted it the way I did. See post above.

Btw, I am leaving to fix my overstay sunday. Hoping for good luck then.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1

Nancy with your contacts at Immigration I am sure you have someone to discuss this with. I understand the situation fully because I am in exactly that situation but I have a visa. From my experience of Thais they are perfectly willing to help. My guess is the officer indicated that his hands were tied and unless the person left and re-entered he could do nothing. If he leaves he can almost certainly re-enter but I think a talk with immigration themselves may clarify this.

CASBO

OK, how do you read it?

Mac

I now believe the 90 days is irrelevant for apprehension cases. The THAT text does not even seem to apply to the alien decribed in the preceding text, as that text talks about aliens.

Furthermore, why would they explicitely talk about overstay more than 90 days in the first category, yet suddenly talk about overstay less than one year in the second category. They could have simply said overstay more than 90 days in the second case as well. The fact that they didn't is enough confirmation for me. The table with the penalties is clear as well, if you overstay less than one year and are apprehended, you are potentially looking at a five year ban.

• Like 1

CASBO

OK, how do you read it?

Mac

I now believe the 90 days is irrelevant for apprehension cases. The THAT text does not even seem to apply to the alien decribed in the preceding text, as that text talks about aliens.

Furthermore, why would they explicitely talk about overstay more than 90 days in the first category, yet suddenly talk about overstay less than one year in the second category. They could have simply said overstay more than 90 days in the second case as well. The fact that they didn't is enough confirmation for me. The table with the penalties is clear as well, if you overstay less than one year and are apprehended, you are potentially looking at a five year ban.

I lost you at "THAT text", but see your point. What made me understand this differently, was the "as follow" in the text. That means the penalties are connected directly with the text above, that says blacklisting kicks in after 90 days.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1

Idiot.

In his case - IDC and deported.

Idiot.

In his case - IDC and deported.

Just deported or blacklisted too? Do you know?

There was confusion about this before and I believe it was an officer in Phuket (?) who added the "rules start from 90 days on" clause. I don't remember it being in the English text in the first draft either. My guess is, and it's just a guess, the Thai version of the text before the rules list is the original one and the English version has been updated as per those added comments.

The problem with this is: what exactly has gone for approval ? Thai text will naturally rule over any translations in the Government bodies. As usual TiT. At least they changed the life ban that had an logical error.

Edited by DrTuner

I lost you at "THAT text", but see your point. What made me understand this differently, was the "as follow" in the text. That means the penalties are connected directly with the text above, that says blacklisting kicks in after 90 days.

Sorry, someone claimed the ' in case that alien' referred to the preceding text. Whilst I believe it doesn't.

To me the meaning in relation to the "apprehended" part is clear. If it was meant to mean between 90 days and one year it would have said so.

However, I can see where confusion arrises when one reads the wording in black and then the wording in blue.

I am wondering if there is some confusion in translation. Can anyone make sense of the Thai - I don't have a sleep in dictionary at the moment.

On some posts I read comments saying "it's quite clear" and "clarification seems absolutely unnecessary" etc etc, but in many posts it is obvious that a lot of people are confused... The Immigration Bureau's notice about the new regulations for overstaying (that are yet to be approved by the Ministry of Interior) is written in a way that can cause misunderstandings. ESPECIALLY by those who focus on the penalties alone, without reading the initial text that tells to whom these new regulations apply and also due to posts and quotes that refer to just the penalties.

If you read everything written by george who started this thread, including EVERY WORD in the notice from the Immigration Bureau I'm pretty sure that most people will find to whom the new regulations apply, but to point it out... Under "Warning!", on line 3 to 5 in the initial text of the notice it says "...aliens who violates The Immigration Act B.E.2522 by overstaying more than 90 days in the Kingdom of Thailand will be forbidden from re-entering the Kingdom for a certain period of time as follow;..." (after that they list the penalties for these people... that is - aliens who violated the particular Immigration Act by overstaying more than 90 days).

I've read several statements/comments by Immigration staff on this topic too and here's one example (quote from Phuket Gazette):
Lt Col Banphot Kittivira, Deputy Superintendent of the Immigration checkpoint at Sadao, on the Malaysian border, confirmed that his office received a copy of the new form. “Although the form currently states that any foreigners caught overstaying by less than a year will be banned from re-entering the Kingdom for five years, please note that this will only apply to foreigners who overstay by more than 90 days,” he said.

“Any foreigners who overstay less than 90 days will be subjected to the normal 500-baht a day fine.”

Hopefully they will write the new regulations without any room for misunderstandings, once they are officially approved.

(In case that alien is being apprehended - overstay more than 90 days, but less than 1 year, forbidden re-entering 5 years, would make less room for misunderstandings, even to those who focus on the penalties alone and skip reading the header...)

post-215928-0-72648700-1406218817_thumb.

Edited by Cissi
  • Like 1

nobody seems to have pointed out that while you can clear your overstay, there is no guarantee you will be allowed to return by the immigration officer at you point of re-entry, resulting in a de facto ban for many overstayers despite claims of leniency.