Still time to clear your overstay without blacklisting

Suvarnabhumi has already decided to enforce its own rules. Two clients refused entry at SVB this week. Reason for refusal of entry = previous overstay one month. It is still up to the discretion of the officer at the gate just like USA.

I'm just giving this a bump here, because it's important. Myself, I had a 2 month overstay several years ago, which no one cared about at the time - they were laughing in fact, and saying I was always welcome. 3 months ago, I caught a huge amount of hostility from an officer about that old overstay, entering Sawanabhumi.

If you have past overstays in your passport, I would personally advise you to be aware - it can be a problem.

It can indeed be a problem.

But i had a positive experience 3 days ago when a relative of mine came back from PP with a new tourist visa in his passeport along with a 310 days overstay in his passeport. He got back without too much trouble, they basically just asked what was his plan and let him go.

Having an officer in a good mood can help too

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't have a current overstay, but had a previous one of just over 6 months a few years ago and this will be my first time returning since then. This shouldn't affect me anyway, but still I feel like this is good news for me as far as things going alright at passport control. Suggests that arriving on the 13th next month I won't be arriving amidst the utter confusion I had feared I would be. Still have to wait and see though.

The new rules go into effect August 12. You could not be more "amidst" if you tried.

August 12th was the date that visa exemption stamps were meant to be regulated at the airports, nothing to do with the changes to the overstay penalties.

At least that was what I thought I read, may be wrong.

Suvarnabhumi has already decided to enforce its own rules. Two clients refused entry at SVB this week. Reason for refusal of entry = previous overstay one month. It is still up to the discretion of the officer at the gate just like USA.

I think that was based more on their past history more so than the overstay. Perhaps trying to enter on a visa exempt entry after having many of those before, A bit more information would help when you make a post such as this,

I know of one person the left on Sunday with a long overstay and returned on Tuesday with a non-o visa without any problem.

This is a good point also, regarding past overstays - they are especially tough about it, if you are attempting to enter with a 30 exemption now. If you have many of those from the past, and particularly with an overstay from the past, then it's trouble.

Noted re. past overstay, it certainly won't help, though I've no visa exempts or tourist visas, and haven't had any for over a decade. There are just a couple of non-O from my marriage in this passport. I'm not who they're really going for, so should be fine I think. I expect maybe a little extra scrutiny but no major issues.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think that was based more on their past history more so than the overstay. Perhaps trying to enter on a visa exempt entry after having many of those before, A bit more information would help when you make a post such as this,

I know of one person the left on Sunday with a long overstay and returned on Tuesday with a non-o visa without any problem.

This is a good point also, regarding past overstays - they are especially tough about it, if you are attempting to enter with a 30 exemption now. If you have many of those from the past, and particularly with an overstay from the past, then it's trouble.

As i said before it is up to the discretion of the officer at the gate. Example. Husband and wife return on ED visas from the same school. Went to separate immigration counters. Wife allowed entry husband not. They did not like the look of his ED visa.

So many mixed messages coming through, in the Nation today it said over stayers have until the 29th (see link - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Heavy-new-penalties-await-visa-overstays-30239870.html)

Other people are saying it's the 12th August.

However, Thai Visa.com is saying that the 29th date is to do with the 30 day extension (instead of 7 days), plus the 30 days for walk in tourists.

I'm currently on 1.5 years overstay, had a full passport and was a little late sending it off to renew it (but still enough time), would have got back just in time if the Thai post office didn't lose it in CM. 4 weeks later it turns up, then i lose my student visa which cost me 25k, so i just thought it was easier not to go and clear the 4 weeks (15k baht), and just wait until i leave.

I have a friend that has just done a border run, and said there are police and army checks the whole way, so is it worth the risk, what happens if you get caught on your way to the border.

It just seem's that no1 actually has a clue whats happening, not even the Thai immigration. Is it worth staying here and just getting the ban when i leave or taking the risk and going now to clear it, get a 90 day visa (or 30 day walk in visa with 30 day extension).

Or take the risk go now, pay the 20k, possibly get stopped on the way and arrested, and even if i get there, i might get banned anyway and thrown into Cambodia leaving my wife behind.

I wish we could just have some clear news!!

I'm sitting here everyday waiting for updates, if something conclusive doesn't come through by the 8th i think it's probably better to leave it.

Any thoughts

Thanks

So many mixed messages coming through, in the Nation today it said over stayers have until the 29th (see link - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Heavy-new-penalties-await-visa-overstays-30239870.html)

However, Thai Visa.com is saying that the 29th date is to do with the 30 day extension (instead of 7 days), plus the 30 days for walk in tourists.

I'm currently on 1.5 years overstay, had a full passport and was a little late sending it off to renew it (but still enough time), would have got back just in time if the Thai post office didn't lose it in CM. 4 weeks later it turns up, then i lose my student visa which cost me 25k, so i just thought it was easier not to go and clear the 4 weeks (15k baht), and just wait until i leave.

I have a friend that has just done a border run, and said there are police and army checks the whole way, so is it worth the risk, what happens if you get caught on your way to the border.

It just seem's that no1 actually has a clue whats happening, not even the Thai immigration. Is it worth staying here and just getting the ban when i leave or taking the risk and going now to clear it, get a 90 day visa (or 30 day walk in visa with 30 day extension).

Or take the risk go now, pay the 20k, possibly get stopped on the way and arrested, and even if i get there, i might get banned anyway and thrown into Cambodia leaving my wife behind.

I'm sitting here everyday waiting for updates, if something conclusive doesn't come through by the 8th i think it's probably better to leave it.

Any thoughts

Thanks

A friend of mine was in a similar situation as you and cleared his 1year overstay by doing this:

1. Get plane ticket to PP

2. Clear your overstay at Airport (you won't get blacklisted if you go NOW.)

3. Once in PP, go apply for a tourist visa (if you want to avoid all the waiting and confusion, just go at some hotel that offer visa service (11 Happy Backpacker in our case been great and effective.)

4. Fly back to BKK airport.

5. Welcome back to Thailand

My friend is now back in Tak and didn't have any problems coming back in. But expect officer to ask you some question once you're back which is normal.

Goodluck and clear it ASAP, it's by far the best option

Any thoughts

Thanks

A friend of mine was in a similar situation as you and cleared his 1year overstay by doing this:

1. Get plane ticket to PP

2. Clear your overstay at Airport (you won't get blacklisted if you go NOW.)

3. Once in PP, go apply for a tourist visa (if you want to avoid all the waiting and confusion, just go at some hotel that offer visa service (11 Happy Backpacker in our case been great and effective.)

4. Fly back to BKK airport.

5. Welcome back to Thailand

My friend is now back in Tak and didn't have any problems coming back in. But expect officer to ask you some question once you're back which is normal.

Goodluck and clear it ASAP, it's by far the best option

P.S: That was last week which is the reason why i'm sure you won't have problems coming back since not much has changed in a week

If you're in PP you better go to LuckyLucky motorbikes on Moningvon Blvd and have them sort out the visa. This way you cut out the hotel's commission and save some money. Plus they might get it back to you faster.

While luckylucky is a motorbike shop, they do have an office in the back which does the visa work. Dozens of foreigners use it every day. i saw piles of passports. Very professional and competitive prices.

They are on google maps when you check the Phnom Penh map.

bild766 reported that he had to sign the same form 10 days ago and also a second form: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/746101-my-retirement-extension-on-25-july-2014/.

The rule about blacklisting overstayers is, of course, not yet in effect, pending at the Ministry of Interior, and at this point we do not know whether the Ministry will approve it in the form it has been proposed by immigration. If it gets published in the Royal Gazette in the form of a Ministerial Regulation, once approved, it will probably take effect 60 days after publication.

Just to let everybody know who have long overstay, they do black list people at the airport with heavy overstays! But it is case by case scenario that is what the immigration officer told me as the rules do not have started officially.

I got away with 4.5 years overstay on my B visa last week, paid 20K and came back without any issues. The officers had many questions and one of them would have black listed me if I did not have family here. After many explainations they told me to go back to my home country and get the correct visa without any problems to enter the country again.

If you have an overstay I suggest to get out now and arrange the correct visa to come back before end of this month. Best way is to fly back home and arrange everything correct and come back.

I just shared this story for everybody to know.

Just to let everybody know who have long overstay, they do black list people at the airport with heavy overstays! But it is case by case scenario that is what the immigration officer told me as the rules do not have started officially.

I got away with 4.5 years overstay on my B visa last week, paid 20K and came back without any issues. The officers had many questions and one of them would have black listed me if I did not have family here. After many explainations they told me to go back to my home country and get the correct visa without any problems to enter the country again.

If you have an overstay I suggest to get out now and arrange the correct visa to come back before end of this month. Best way is to fly back home and arrange everything correct and come back.

In these cases (significant overstay stamp and NO blacklisting), a new passport would be recommended.

Know-it-alls will jump up saying that there is a database with names and DoB, making a new passport useless,

Fact is, officer first quickly pages. If nothing objectionable is found, one is stamped in without further searches.

Edited by paz

Hi,

I'm leaving tmorw with just under 1 years overstay, do they require evidence of having a family or any other information?

Let me know if i need to know any specific answers to questions to help me through, thanks and congrats on getting back safely.

Also where did you get your Visa and where were you flying to, also how did you come back in the country, i was thinking Cambodia, get a tourist Visa then come back in over the border.

Cheers

Also where did you get your Visa and where were you flying to, also how did you come back in the country, i was thinking Cambodia, get a tourist Visa then come back in over the border.

Cambodia is not a great choice. Better is Savannakhet for a double entry.

Flight already booked so gonna go down that road, a guy here about 10 days ago, got through with same overstay as me and got a double entry from Cambodia through an Agency, so will try that, I'm hoping my UK passport does me some favors on this one!

nobody seems to have pointed out that while you can clear your overstay, there is no guarantee you will be allowed to return by the immigration officer at you point of re-entry, resulting in a de facto ban for many overstayers despite claims of leniency.

I guess we shall see.

I'll be flying to Thailand tommorow (or saturday) with someone that has cleared an overstay a week and a half ago. He now has his tourist visa and we will go to BKK Airport.

But from what we got told by 3 different immigrations, he shouldn't have a problem.

I'll post my report asap.

Thats funny because you started a thread advising everyone with an overstay to fly via Chiang Mai, because as far as you know "noone has ever been refused entry there"

"TRUST ME" you said, fly via Chiang Mai...

Yes, its so funny!

What point are you trying to make old man? We have to go through Bangkok immigration before we go in CM cause here in Cambodia theres no direct flight (at least, from what i know) to CNX.

And i still recommend people the CNX Airport.

Stop trying to start debate for no reason, slow down papi, go hit the shower a little bit.

ok I've only just seen this reply, you are a very strange person.

Why fly via Chiang Mai if you have to deal with Bangkok immigration on the way anyway.

Your "advice" was based on "not hearing any reports of anyone being refused entry at Chiang Mai". So you recommend anyone on overstay to fly from and back to there.

How could Chiang Mai refuse entry to anyone if you have already been cleared by BKK immigration first? They make you pay the 20k baht fine same as EVERYWHERE ELSE on the way out. Frankly, your advice is ridiculous, and your retorts to my points have just been insult laden and ignorant. That's the definition of a troll or the traits of a moron to be honest, and that's trying to put it without hurting your feelings.

Which every comment seems to....

For your info, I'm in my 20s.

Crazy

Ok some updates, i made it out the country with 1 year overstay, there were no questions asked, just paid the money and was told i can come back in without a problem. Currently in Cambodia waiting on my passport to come back, looks like i can only get a single entry at best which gives 60 days plus 30 days extra for a Visa run. So i'm either going back in Via the airport or over the border, if all goes well i'n hoping to be allowed back in with a fresh stamp within the next 2 days.

I will keep everything updated.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We just left Thailand on Friday night. I was OK went through immigration without dramas with my 3 month 'O' tourist visa. My wife however presented her Thai passport on exit and they wanted to see her Australian passport. The mistake I think she made, she left Australia on her Australian passport, then because there was no stamp on her Thai passport they used her Australian passport and put in the 30 day stamp. She did tell me they wanted her to report to immigration after 90 days (she must have misunderstood this and they meant 30 days). Anyway though she is Thai but because she came in on her Australian passport and she was 58 days over stay, they wanted the 20,000 baht before allowing her to exit. They also suggested to her to "lose" her Thai passport and get another one. Expensive mistake!!

Your wife should have entered Thiland on her Thai passport and not presented her Australian passport. As a Thai citizen they could not have denied her entry and at airborders no entry/exit stamps are checked, as many countries do not issue them any more. She should have instisted on entry on her Thai passport, as is her right.

Entering on the Australian passport she was subject to the immigration rules.

Why on earth she was advised to lose her passport is beyond me, it only creates problems and means making a false police report.

• Like 1

I have heavy overstay in my old passport, got a new one and paper from my embassy to move the stamps.

Can they fix this at the airport if i have the money and a flight ticket back to my country ?

If you have the 20k baht to pay the overstay fine you can do it at the airport on the way out of the country.

They will move your entry stamp to the new passport, do the overstay in your new passport and stamp you out of the country in it.

I have heavy overstay in my old passport, got a new one and paper from my embassy to move the stamps.

Can they fix this at the airport if i have the money and a flight ticket back to my country ?

If you have the 20k baht to pay the overstay fine you can do it at the airport on the way out of the country.

They will move your entry stamp to the new passport, do the overstay in your new passport and stamp you out of the country in it.

Okey !

Thanks for quick answer. I have heard a lot of people saying, do like this, do like that.

One said: you have to go to immigration in bangkok to move the stamps from old passport to the new.

Another one said: If you go to airport immigration they will lock you in detention center.

But i belived it to be a bit strange ^^ if i have the money and a ticket out of here.

Your wife should have entered Thiland on her Thai passport and not presented her Australian passport. As a Thai citizen they could not have denied her entry and at airborders no entry/exit stamps are checked, as many countries do not issue them any more. She should have instisted on entry on her Thai passport, as is her right.

Entering on the Australian passport she was subject to the immigration rules.

Why on earth she was advised to lose her passport is beyond me, it only creates problems and means making a false police report.

The fact is even if she entered on an Aussie passport, she is still a Thai citizen, ergo she can't be fined for an overstay as she is a citizen, irrespective of the passport she entered on, of course immigration will not accept this, but if she wanted to take this to court she would win the case, just because one enters on the " other" passport this does not make her any less of a Thai citizen therefore she had unhindered right of entry and abode Edited by Soutpeel