10 restaurants demolished on Phuket’s Sai Kaew Beach

Lite Beer

Good news ! The end of corruption continues its way ! As in national parks illegal houses built on lands owned by government. Without a chanote at your name you cannot pretend own a land ! Army progress to make Thailand a better country without that shit corruption !

Edited by Westaurel

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not get sidetracked by that enormous photo!! My comment about it was not that serious...

Believe me my friend , these people that like to look poor earn more than 100.000 / month

I know the ones on NY beach who earn that sort of money. They drive the latest Fortuna down to their business in the morning and then hide their car where the tourists can't see it.

But living at NY since 2002, I haven't seen new Fortuna's by the bamboo restaurants.....

Anyway, I agree that ALL illegal structures should be removed from the beach, but so far I'm not seeing that principle in physical action.

Well done...

all those restaurants on public land has been operating paying bribes to corrupt police for decades, with no respect to the nature and public environment.

And you have evidence of this do you?

For those not familiar with this location, it's to the north of the Phuket Checkpoint, about half a kilometre before the Sarasin Bridge. There is absolutely nothing in the area, until you get close to the bridge. Between the road and the beach itself is perhaps only around 50 metres or so wide. From what I've seen when I've been there, none of the restaurants were on the beach itself, instead being under pine trees. It's not an area that would attract environmentall tourists as it's just a destination for day out visitors (almost wholly Thais) using the restaurants themselves.

Shame really that they've gone, perhaps would have been better to regularise whatever agreement (verbal, written or otherwise) and made these arrangements public. If the land is owned by the Treasury Department, does that make it outside the National Park?

They were all undoubtably family owned and operated, so that's 10 sets of locals without income, I would imagine in the region of 50 or so people.

Well done...

all those restaurants on public land has been operating paying bribes to corrupt police for decades, with no respect to the nature and public environment.

For those not familiar with this location, it's to the north of the Phuket Checkpoint, about half a kilometre before the Sarasin Bridge. There is absolutely nothing in the area, until you get close to the bridge. Between the road and the beach itself is perhaps only around 50 metres or so wide. From what I've seen when I've been there, none of the restaurants were on the beach itself, instead being under pine trees. It's not an area that would attract environmentall tourists as it's just a destination for day out visitors (almost wholly Thais) using the restaurants themselves.

Shame really that they've gone, perhaps would have been better to regularise whatever agreement (verbal, written or otherwise) and made these arrangements public. If the land is owned by the Treasury Department, does that make it outside the National Park?

They were all undoubtably family owned and operated, so that's 10 sets of locals without income, I would imagine in the region of 50 or so people.

Yep...just some low key Thai businesses catering to Thai customers. Pretty low environmental impact also as they were off the primary dune. And definitely no mafia on farang action at that site. There are no swimmers or beach goers there as it is far too dangerous with the rips and sandbanks from the flow out at the channel at Sarasin. It is way off the grid as far as the average tourist goes.

This is just more workaday Thai small business people disenfranchised by the Bangkok elite. Meanwhile the illegal Bangkok owned mega resorts such as Pullman trade on with impunity.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well done...

Yep...just some low key Thai businesses catering to Thai customers. Pretty low environmental impact also as they were off the primary dune. And definitely no mafia on farang action at that site. There are no swimmers or beach goers there as it is far too dangerous with the rips and sandbanks from the flow out at the channel at Sarasin. It is way off the grid as far as the average tourist goes.

This is just more workaday Thai small business people disenfranchised by the Bangkok elite. Meanwhile the illegal Bangkok owned mega resorts such as Pullman trade on with impunity.

That is the huge danger: chucking out the baby with the bath water.

Of course the majority totally agrees that things need to be cleaned up big time. The problem in this county is that the mess is so enormous and setting priorities and getting the balance right is close to impossible.

And they would have to come up with a "development plan" for those who now loose their livelihood. Just washing hands by taking an "we get it clean now" attitude without addressing the consequences is will have on local people who, kinda understandably, adjusted to this messy way of running Thai affairs, will only make people resist more and more as the "cleaning operation" progresses... Heroic operations lead all to often to the death of the patient on the operation table... I hope they understand that and have a good game plan.....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well done...

That is the huge danger: chucking out the baby with the bath water.

Of course the majority totally agrees that things need to be cleaned up big time. The problem in this county is that the mess is so enormous and setting priorities and getting the balance right is close to impossible.

And they would have to come up with a "development plan" for those who now loose their livelihood. Just washing hands by taking an "we get it clean now" attitude without addressing the consequences is will have on local people who, kinda understandably, adjusted to this messy way of running Thai affairs, will only make people resist more and more as the "cleaning operation" progresses... Heroic operations lead all to often to the death of the patient on the operation table... I hope they understand that and have a good game plan.....

A "good" plan for Phuket would have started with the removal of the huge mega resorts that are built on national park land. An effective manager always puts the most difficult tasks at the top of his to do list.

A "good" plan for Phuket would have started with the removal of the huge mega resorts that are built on national park land. An effective manager always puts the most difficult tasks at the top of his to do list.

be real, in many cases "demolition" is not a practical option (even though it of course needs to be considered and assessed on a case by case basis).

Get a fast track court in place, with good resources, to check "the big guy", confiscate assets where public resources have been misused and put the abusers in jail. During the process, assign a caretaker manager and auction off to new owners where demolition is too expensive, kills to many jobs or take too long.

And let the auction profit flow back into the community for improvements and job creation !!!

We can't turn back the clock everywhere. But this way the illegal is turned legal, a new owner gets a clean start and the money helps to develop the community.

Prove that this works in top-priority "hot spots / pilot areas" where maximum efforts are made "to get this right", learn along the way and then roll that out that concept across the island (and Thailand for that matter).

As hard/difficult as it is: if too many peoples lives will be destroyed then they will not follow the "cleaning path". And that is of course that the ex-big shots are waiting for....

Edited by TTom911

Well done...

The situation is exactly as Pagallim describes. I am very familiar with it, because for a long time when going back to Khao Lak from Phuket, I always stopped off there for a soft drink, it is right before the bridge to Phangnga. All the restaurants there are simple wood/straw/bamboo constructions that don't encroach on the beach, and the vast majority of the customers are Thais.

Sure, they might be on public land, but on a tiny sliver of land between the road and the beach, which could in no way be interesting for biologists or nature lovers, no matter what trees they might plant.

Those restaurants have been there for a very long time without being challenged by the authorities. It is a universal legal principle that rights can be acquired by customary law, and in most legal systems an order to pull down these places wouldn't hold up in court.

I would be sorry to see them go, purely a loss not compensated by anything positive.

Edited by keestha
  • Like 2

Well done...

The situation is exactly as Pagallim describes. I am very familiar with it, because for a long time when going back to Khao Lak from Phuket, I always stopped off there for a soft drink, it is right before the bridge to Phangnga. All the restaurants there are simple wood/straw/bamboo constructions that don't encroach on the beach, and the vast majority of the customers are Thais.

Sure, they might be on public land, but on a tiny sliver of land between the road and the beach, which could in no way be interesting for biologists or nature lovers, no matter what trees they might plant.

Those restaurants have been there for a very long time without being challenged by the authorities. It is a universal legal principle that rights can be acquired by customary law, and in most legal systems an order to pull down these places wouldn't hold up in court.

I would be sorry to see them go, purely a loss not compensated by anything positive.

Nature lovers dont have jungle deer or armadillo on their menu. Dont worry about the families because most of them have also other good jobs such as policeman.........

Well done...

Nature lovers dont have jungle deer or armadillo on their menu. Dont worry about the families because most of them have also other good jobs such as policeman.........

Bit of a sad post from you (what do Deer or Armadillo to do with this location?). Virtually all the police on location at the Checkpoint live in barracks there.

This area is virtually wholly long time Phuket/Phang Nga natives, and amongst the most accommodating and genuinely friendly people on the island.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think Bulldozer is talking about White Beach Resort which is half way between Nai Thon and Trisara. A year ago there was huge excavation above it on the hill which caused massive wash down when it rained. You can still see the sand bags by the road. The excavations have stopped but the scar is enormous. Bulldozer asks many good questions. There are many anomalies. Take Layan. Most of the bamboo structures have gone but Reggae Bar still operating. And Nikki Beach beach club? That's only been affected by the gales and sea spray.

Nikki Breach is on private land, IMO it is over height, as it is Zone 1 with a 6 meter restriction, ( and loudly obnoxious) but will it be forced to lop off the top 10 meters or so? Not likely, just like it's not likely Lotus Restaurant in the middle of Bang Tao will be forced to demolish either, because these are WEALTHY Thai owned businesses.

I've heard Catch at Surin used as an example of rich getting their businesses knocked down or really just the patio on the beach, but that is foreigner owned, along with parent co, American owned under Amity, Twin Palms.

It really is a war on the poor. I just wrote in another thread it seems if you want to incite unrest, and political instability, this is a good way to do it. Meanwhile, right on plan, legion of expats are writing home about it all "Thailand is changed.."singing the praises of a dictatorship.

Oh man I do hope I'm wrong... but I am very glad to be leaving.

Just to be clear, I've posted ( along with others) specifically abouut these particular 10 restaurants located to the north of Mai Khao, , approximately 1km south of Sarasin Bridge.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sigh... I am sooooo tired of reading posts from numpties who know nothing of Phuket or of the real facts.

Lets take Max, the young Thai lad who built up the Go Surfing Clubhouse at Kamala that comprised of a bamboo bar, and a rack with a few surfboards for rent. Max lost his immediate family in the Tsunami. He managed to struggle on alone working as a beach boy and built a small (and low environmental impact) business on the beach. His high season is right now, the monsoon low season as that is the only time there are waves at Kamala. However, right at the start of his high season, the Junta arrived and a week later tore down his business and home. No time for forward planning, job transition, or relocation. Max lost everything, his business, his home, even his identity.

Max's story is just one of many other similar ones amongst the beach vendors, and yet the Bangkok owned illegal mega resorts such as the Pullman at the North end of Nai Thon are trading on with impunity. In fact they are currently working overtime on further additional construction.

With any big job or project, an effective manager will always tackle the most difficult tasks first. Here on Phuket that meant removing the big illegal developments such as Trisara, Pullam, Bliss etc. However, all that has been done so far is to tear down some bamboo and destroy the lives of the poor people. Perhaps it is just poor management on behalf of the Junta. Or perhaps it is more sinister. Rember, the Bangkok elite are now in control of Phuket.

If the Junta does not deal with the big (and rich) criminals that have major illegal developments along the west coast, they should expect civil unrest from the disenfranchised beachside vendors.

However, my guess is that it will be business as usual for the rich...and the poor will get poorer...

That's so sad story about Max who lost his income which he based on 10 years after the tsunami, over the land he 'borrowed' from the ordinary people around him. So sad.

But did you ever thought about his friend Xam, who decided to educate himself and got an degree with engineering. Xam was the guy who decided not to use other people's assets to get himself rich over the years.

Xam's life was not easy. He had to study hard, eat poor food and did not have time nor money to have parties with his friends. He had a goal to graduate, to get a better life afterwards.

Xam managed to find the love of his life while studying, not uncommon as there were similar minds around. Xam stayed happy, quite unlike Max who was expecting everybody to respect him for his power and wealth.

Xam might be at this moment one of the guys who are trying to get Thailand back to the state it should be. Should Xam be fair to his old friend who did not study, but used the common wealth to improve his life?

You are cheering the Junta on, but from where I am sitting I just see the poor people wiped out.

Read the article, they say ALL of the beaches are now cleaned (this being the last) including Nai thon and Nai Yang.

Perhaps you don't even live in Thailand, but if you do take a drive to Nai Thon beach and have a look. The poor punters have been cleared off the beach, but the rich (bangkok owned) mega resorts are untouched. Have a look at the Pullman resort at the North end of the beach, they are trading on with total impunity, in fact they are still carrying further building works as I type. Have a look at the environmental disaster at the southern end of the beach on the mountainside, where just a few months back a half dozen bulldozers and hundreds of Burmese day labourers showed up and clear felled a whole mountainside of National Park...and NO ONE stopped them. Now on that same mountainside there is a collection of shockingly substandard cement structure which breach both the local height codes and slope codes. You will also notice that they have accelerated their building activity in the last few weeks. Oh and lets not forget White haven beach that tuned a public beach into a private enclave, or Trisara that did the same.

And that is just Nai Thon.

Perhaps Simon43 would like to chime in here to give his opinion about whether all of the illegal structures are now completely cleared from Nai Yang...

Believe me my friend , these people that like to look poor earn more than 100.000 / month and its not because people are poor they should allow them to open a shop on nature land and run business with no tax

Sigh... I am sooooo tired of reading posts from numpties who know nothing of Phuket or of the real facts.

<snip>

Pot, kettle, black comes to mind!

I would love love to be proved wrong but see a pattern emerging and I will wager that A) Few if any wealthy ,connected Thais will lose their assets and B) Very few local administrators/ politicians/ police will be prosecuted for corruption and subsequently jailed.

Edited by joecoolfrog
  • Like 1

Cry me a river for the poor people who have been illegally operating businesses on public land. There is no unemployment on Phuket. Anyone who wants to work in Phuket can easily find a job. The resorts are always looking for people.

Over 40 buildings on BangTao beach are in the process of being removed. Surin Beach has undergone an amazing transformation back to what it should look like with breathtaking results. All the Phuket beaches have been transformed from gross illegal encroachment of 100's of businesses back to the natural look of what they should be. The Generals have uniformly applied the rule. The only thing allowed on the King's beach...is sand. You can't pick and choose how to enforce the law. You give someone a meter of beach and next season they have 10 meters.

You would think, reading the comments here, that somehow the junta is doing the bidding of the "rich in Bangkok", targeting the poor. That's absolute nonsense. The overwhelming majority of Thais and farangs believe the Generals are doing exactly the right thing. Look at the survey on the Phuket Gazette is running. 5000 voting with the majority (80/20) that they're doing the right thing.

I really don't get it. I walk the Phuket beaches every single day. The Generals have pulled off a miracle here. Six months ago, I would never have imagined this could happen. It could never have happened without the Generals. The officials that were charged with protecting the beaches were selling it off! I'd love to see the OrBotTors and every other bent official in the monkey house that allowed this and greatly profited from it, but you start by throwing everyone off the beach that's not suppose to be there. Then, there is the taking down of the Taxi mafia here, another miracle. The encroachment into the National Forests where officials creating paperwork to allow it to happen. Every time someone came down here to investigate they were pulled off the case, so it just went on and on.

Not anymore...there is a new sheriff in town. Buddha bless the Generals.

• Like 2

Cry me a river for the poor people who have been illegally operating businesses on public land. There is no unemployment on Phuket. Anyone who wants to work in Phuket can easily find a job. The resorts are always looking for people.

Over 40 buildings on BangTao beach are in the process of being removed. Surin Beach has undergone an amazing transformation back to what it should look like with breathtaking results. All the Phuket beaches have been transformed from gross illegal encroachment of 100's of businesses back to the natural look of what they should be. The Generals have uniformly applied the rule. The only thing allowed on the King's beach...is sand. You can't pick and choose how to enforce the law. You give someone a meter of beach and next season they have 10 meters.

You would think, reading the comments here, that somehow the junta is doing the bidding of the "rich in Bangkok", targeting the poor. That's absolute nonsense. The overwhelming majority of Thais and farangs believe the Generals are doing exactly the right thing. Look at the survey on the Phuket Gazette is running. 5000 voting with the majority (80/20) that they're doing the right thing.

I really don't get it. I walk the Phuket beaches every single day. The Generals have pulled off a miracle here. Six months ago, I would never have imagined this could happen. It could never have happened without the Generals. The officials that were charged with protecting the beaches were selling it off! I'd love to see the OrBotTors and every other bent official in the monkey house that allowed this and greatly profited from it, but you start by throwing everyone off the beach that's not suppose to be there. Then, there is the taking down of the Taxi mafia here, another miracle. The encroachment into the National Forests where officials creating paperwork to allow it to happen. Every time someone came down here to investigate they were pulled off the case, so it just went on and on.

That poll as reported in the print version actually had a majority against the drastic treatment of masseuses and chair touts. And what about jet Skis, illegal , problem after problem yet remain unmolested.

I see no reason why a five star resort like Banyan Tree should pull down their thatched umbrellas and high dollar lounges and have cheap plastic one instead. If I were paying those rates, I might not be back especially if I were returning and now felt cheated.

but I am very glad to be leaving.

I think you speak for all of us

Forgive me if I don't take your bait, but I will say it seems to be a tipping point for many. I don't see any kind of real reform, lese majeste is priority # 1 apparently and still used to silence political dissent, and the libel laws are still in place protecting the wealthy from responsibility.

Kicking low wage workers out of their jobs simply does not impress me.

but I am very glad to be leaving.

I think you speak for all of us

Forgive me if I don't take your bait, but I will say it seems to be a tipping point for many. I don't see any kind of real reform, lese majeste is priority # 1 apparently and still used to silence political dissent, and the libel laws are still in place protecting the wealthy from responsibility.

Kicking low wage workers out of their jobs simply does not impress me.

Well, I think even you would acknowledge that the majority of your posts complain about Phuket, Thailand or Thai people. Every time I see your name on the forum, I ask myself "Why does this guy stay here if he doesn't like it?"

Edited by modafinil

Your deluded.

Give me an example of a SINGLE high dollar illegal development that has been removed to date. Just one.

win·dow dress·ing
noun:
  1. an adroit but superficial or actually misleading presentation of something, designed to create a favorable impression.
    "the army's effort has amounted to little more than window dressing"

Your deluded.

Give me an example of a SINGLE high dollar illegal development that has been removed to date. Just one.

win·dow dress·ing
noun:
  1. an adroit but superficial or actually misleading presentation of something, designed to create a favorable impression.

One man's window dressing is another man's miracle. Or how about...One man's ignorance is another man's bliss. 555

The multimillion baht clubs in Surin? 40 plus buildings on BangTao? There has been a dramatic transformation of Phuket's beaches and transportation system but I'm repeating myself to someone who doesn't want to hear it. An overwhelming majority of the people who live here are ecstatic with whats happened and will continue to happen.

I look at the beautiful Phuket beaches devoid of beach chairs, umbrellas, massage tents, clubs, restaurants and I'm overwhelmed by the miracle the Army has pulled off. You look at the same scene and see window dressing. I feel sorry for you. Wow.

• Like 1

Your deluded.

win·dow dress·ing
noun:

One man's window dressing is another man's miracle. Or how about...One man's ignorance is another man's bliss. 555

The multimillion baht clubs in Surin? 40 plus buildings on BangTao? There has been a dramatic transformation of Phuket's beaches and transportation system but I'm repeating myself to someone who doesn't want to hear it. An overwhelming majority of the people who live here are ecstatic with whats happened and will continue to happen.

I look at the beautiful Phuket beaches devoid of beach chairs, umbrellas, massage tents, clubs, restaurants and I'm overwhelmed by the miracle the Army has pulled off. You look at the same scene and see window dressing. I feel sorry for you. Wow.

I thought so. You could not provide a SINGLE example of a high dollar illegal development that has been removed so far. Not even ONE.

As for the clubs at Surin only the removable structures have been taken away. The hard infrastructure of these clubs still remains intact (on public land) and they are trading on as per usual.

Oh...and to assist you to snap out of your delusion, you can also do some additional homework for me. Identify a ONE SINGLE high level local politician or public servant who has been effectively prosecuted to date. And by effectively I mean jailed and assets seized. Good luck with that task also.

win·dow dress·ing
noun:

Your deluded.

win·dow dress·ing
noun:

I thought so. You could not provide a SINGLE example of a high dollar illegal development that has been removed so far. Not even ONE.

As for the clubs at Surin only the removable structures have been taken away. The hard infrastructure of these clubs still remains intact (on public land) and they are trading on as per usual.

Oh...and to assist you to snap out of your delusion, you can also do some additional homework for me. Identify a ONE SINGLE high level local politician or public servant who has been effectively prosecuted to date. And by effectively I mean jailed and assets seized. Good luck with that task also.

win·dow dress·ing
noun:

You are obviously new to Phuket...

Well perhaps Bulldozer dawn is being overly pessimistic but his concerns are valid and I wonder why you guys are refusing to answer his questipnd. Lets try again ;

Why are many illegal ' high end ' developments being ignored ?

How many local officials have so far been prosecuted ?

Well perhaps Bulldozer dawn is being overly pessimistic but his concerns are valid and I wonder why you guys are refusing to answer his questipnd. Lets try again ;

Why are many illegal ' high end ' developments being ignored ?

How many local officials have so far been prosecuted ?

Read some local news and be informed before you ramble on...

Edited by Jimi007

Incapable of answering a straight forward question , interesting !

Very capable of answering a straightforward question, which yours and his is not. They are NOT being ignored! Why don't you read the local news for yourself? Like Phuket Wan, that I can mention, but can't link or quote due to forum rule 26. There are several teams of investigators looking into the land office, the parks department and many other past and present government officials. Do you think they can go after people who have paid big money for their positions in government and false land titles as quickly as those who have no paperwork at all?

Edited by Jimi007