10 restaurants demolished on Phuket’s Sai Kaew Beach

I would love love to be proved wrong but see a pattern emerging and I will wager that A) Few if any wealthy ,connected Thais will lose their assets and B) Very few local administrators/ politicians/ police will be prosecuted for corruption and subsequently jailed.

Edited by joecoolfrog
  • Like 1
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cry me a river for the poor people who have been illegally operating businesses on public land. There is no unemployment on Phuket. Anyone who wants to work in Phuket can easily find a job. The resorts are always looking for people.

Over 40 buildings on BangTao beach are in the process of being removed. Surin Beach has undergone an amazing transformation back to what it should look like with breathtaking results. All the Phuket beaches have been transformed from gross illegal encroachment of 100's of businesses back to the natural look of what they should be. The Generals have uniformly applied the rule. The only thing allowed on the King's beach...is sand. You can't pick and choose how to enforce the law. You give someone a meter of beach and next season they have 10 meters.

You would think, reading the comments here, that somehow the junta is doing the bidding of the "rich in Bangkok", targeting the poor. That's absolute nonsense. The overwhelming majority of Thais and farangs believe the Generals are doing exactly the right thing. Look at the survey on the Phuket Gazette is running. 5000 voting with the majority (80/20) that they're doing the right thing.

I really don't get it. I walk the Phuket beaches every single day. The Generals have pulled off a miracle here. Six months ago, I would never have imagined this could happen. It could never have happened without the Generals. The officials that were charged with protecting the beaches were selling it off! I'd love to see the OrBotTors and every other bent official in the monkey house that allowed this and greatly profited from it, but you start by throwing everyone off the beach that's not suppose to be there. Then, there is the taking down of the Taxi mafia here, another miracle. The encroachment into the National Forests where officials creating paperwork to allow it to happen. Every time someone came down here to investigate they were pulled off the case, so it just went on and on.

Not anymore...there is a new sheriff in town. Buddha bless the Generals.

• Like 2

Cry me a river for the poor people who have been illegally operating businesses on public land. There is no unemployment on Phuket. Anyone who wants to work in Phuket can easily find a job. The resorts are always looking for people.

Over 40 buildings on BangTao beach are in the process of being removed. Surin Beach has undergone an amazing transformation back to what it should look like with breathtaking results. All the Phuket beaches have been transformed from gross illegal encroachment of 100's of businesses back to the natural look of what they should be. The Generals have uniformly applied the rule. The only thing allowed on the King's beach...is sand. You can't pick and choose how to enforce the law. You give someone a meter of beach and next season they have 10 meters.

You would think, reading the comments here, that somehow the junta is doing the bidding of the "rich in Bangkok", targeting the poor. That's absolute nonsense. The overwhelming majority of Thais and farangs believe the Generals are doing exactly the right thing. Look at the survey on the Phuket Gazette is running. 5000 voting with the majority (80/20) that they're doing the right thing.

I really don't get it. I walk the Phuket beaches every single day. The Generals have pulled off a miracle here. Six months ago, I would never have imagined this could happen. It could never have happened without the Generals. The officials that were charged with protecting the beaches were selling it off! I'd love to see the OrBotTors and every other bent official in the monkey house that allowed this and greatly profited from it, but you start by throwing everyone off the beach that's not suppose to be there. Then, there is the taking down of the Taxi mafia here, another miracle. The encroachment into the National Forests where officials creating paperwork to allow it to happen. Every time someone came down here to investigate they were pulled off the case, so it just went on and on.

That poll as reported in the print version actually had a majority against the drastic treatment of masseuses and chair touts. And what about jet Skis, illegal , problem after problem yet remain unmolested.

I see no reason why a five star resort like Banyan Tree should pull down their thatched umbrellas and high dollar lounges and have cheap plastic one instead. If I were paying those rates, I might not be back especially if I were returning and now felt cheated.

but I am very glad to be leaving.

I think you speak for all of us

Forgive me if I don't take your bait, but I will say it seems to be a tipping point for many. I don't see any kind of real reform, lese majeste is priority # 1 apparently and still used to silence political dissent, and the libel laws are still in place protecting the wealthy from responsibility.

Kicking low wage workers out of their jobs simply does not impress me.

but I am very glad to be leaving.

I think you speak for all of us

Forgive me if I don't take your bait, but I will say it seems to be a tipping point for many. I don't see any kind of real reform, lese majeste is priority # 1 apparently and still used to silence political dissent, and the libel laws are still in place protecting the wealthy from responsibility.

Kicking low wage workers out of their jobs simply does not impress me.

Well, I think even you would acknowledge that the majority of your posts complain about Phuket, Thailand or Thai people. Every time I see your name on the forum, I ask myself "Why does this guy stay here if he doesn't like it?"

Edited by modafinil

Your deluded.

Give me an example of a SINGLE high dollar illegal development that has been removed to date. Just one.

win·dow dress·ing
noun:
  1. an adroit but superficial or actually misleading presentation of something, designed to create a favorable impression.
    "the army's effort has amounted to little more than window dressing"

Your deluded.

Give me an example of a SINGLE high dollar illegal development that has been removed to date. Just one.

win·dow dress·ing
noun:
  1. an adroit but superficial or actually misleading presentation of something, designed to create a favorable impression.

One man's window dressing is another man's miracle. Or how about...One man's ignorance is another man's bliss. 555

The multimillion baht clubs in Surin? 40 plus buildings on BangTao? There has been a dramatic transformation of Phuket's beaches and transportation system but I'm repeating myself to someone who doesn't want to hear it. An overwhelming majority of the people who live here are ecstatic with whats happened and will continue to happen.

I look at the beautiful Phuket beaches devoid of beach chairs, umbrellas, massage tents, clubs, restaurants and I'm overwhelmed by the miracle the Army has pulled off. You look at the same scene and see window dressing. I feel sorry for you. Wow.

• Like 1

Your deluded.

win·dow dress·ing
noun:

One man's window dressing is another man's miracle. Or how about...One man's ignorance is another man's bliss. 555

The multimillion baht clubs in Surin? 40 plus buildings on BangTao? There has been a dramatic transformation of Phuket's beaches and transportation system but I'm repeating myself to someone who doesn't want to hear it. An overwhelming majority of the people who live here are ecstatic with whats happened and will continue to happen.

I look at the beautiful Phuket beaches devoid of beach chairs, umbrellas, massage tents, clubs, restaurants and I'm overwhelmed by the miracle the Army has pulled off. You look at the same scene and see window dressing. I feel sorry for you. Wow.

I thought so. You could not provide a SINGLE example of a high dollar illegal development that has been removed so far. Not even ONE.

As for the clubs at Surin only the removable structures have been taken away. The hard infrastructure of these clubs still remains intact (on public land) and they are trading on as per usual.

Oh...and to assist you to snap out of your delusion, you can also do some additional homework for me. Identify a ONE SINGLE high level local politician or public servant who has been effectively prosecuted to date. And by effectively I mean jailed and assets seized. Good luck with that task also.

win·dow dress·ing
noun:

Your deluded.

win·dow dress·ing
noun:

I thought so. You could not provide a SINGLE example of a high dollar illegal development that has been removed so far. Not even ONE.

As for the clubs at Surin only the removable structures have been taken away. The hard infrastructure of these clubs still remains intact (on public land) and they are trading on as per usual.

Oh...and to assist you to snap out of your delusion, you can also do some additional homework for me. Identify a ONE SINGLE high level local politician or public servant who has been effectively prosecuted to date. And by effectively I mean jailed and assets seized. Good luck with that task also.

win·dow dress·ing
noun:

You are obviously new to Phuket...

Well perhaps Bulldozer dawn is being overly pessimistic but his concerns are valid and I wonder why you guys are refusing to answer his questipnd. Lets try again ;

Why are many illegal ' high end ' developments being ignored ?

How many local officials have so far been prosecuted ?

Well perhaps Bulldozer dawn is being overly pessimistic but his concerns are valid and I wonder why you guys are refusing to answer his questipnd. Lets try again ;

Why are many illegal ' high end ' developments being ignored ?

How many local officials have so far been prosecuted ?

Read some local news and be informed before you ramble on...

Edited by Jimi007

Incapable of answering a straight forward question , interesting !

Very capable of answering a straightforward question, which yours and his is not. They are NOT being ignored! Why don't you read the local news for yourself? Like Phuket Wan, that I can mention, but can't link or quote due to forum rule 26. There are several teams of investigators looking into the land office, the parks department and many other past and present government officials. Do you think they can go after people who have paid big money for their positions in government and false land titles as quickly as those who have no paperwork at all?

Edited by Jimi007