BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Crumpet

Anyone with experience at St. Andrews International School?

Hello, St. Andrews caught my interest mainly due to its moderate fees and location after searching through myriad of international schools in Bangkok. However, before I consider applying to St. Andrews I would like to know if anyone here had any decent experience at the school?

Final thing is I'm also a bit confused mainly because on their website, St. Andrews has a campus at Sukhumvit 107, Sathorn and Rayong but after doing more research, there are 3 other campuses which are at Sukhumvit 71, Samakee and Dusit blink.png . I would like to know if the 3 campuses are affiliated with the other 3 campuses? Thanks! biggrin.png

edit: There seems to be three different sites, tried to access the website where they have the 71 and Dusit campuses but site doesn't seem to respond since the site won't load so I decided to look at the site where they have the information about the 107, Sathorn and Rayong campus.

Edited by Crumpet

St Andrew's Sathorn, Sukhumvit 107 and Rayong are a group of schools owned by a British firm called Cognita which owns a large number of schools worldwide. The other St andrew's schools you mentioned are part of a separate company. The website for Sathorn, Sukhumvit and Rayong is www.standrews-schools.com. To answer your original question they aren't affiliated with the other schools which share the same name.

Hi,

My 2 boys (13 and 10) have been going to St.Andrews at Sukhumvit 71 for years, and they both love it.

It has decent but not fabulous sports facilities, and from my point of view the quality of education is excellent. As far as I know, the Dusit campus is only for younger children.

I'd suggest they are worth a visit to check it out for yourself.

Steve

I also have a son and daughter at the Suk Soi 71 school. We have friends with kids at other international schools like Pattana. On the plus side St Andrews is considerably cheaper than the other "big name" international schools (although I wouldn't say cheap), it's a smaller school with a good "community feel" about it, class sizes are OK (not too big), standard of education seems compatible to the other international schools and our kids love the school. On the negative side the school is lacking in sports facilities and sports options, the school is on a relatively small lot of land and whilst not currently over- crowded there is high demand for new enrolments and it's pupil size is growing. As a previous poster mentioned its best to visit the school yourself as all the schools have their own pros/cons and atmosphere. We are certainly very happy with St A.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I also have a son and daughter at the Suk Soi 71 school. We have friends with kids at other international schools like Pattana. On the plus side St Andrews is considerably cheaper than the other "big name" international schools (although I wouldn't say cheap), it's a smaller school with a good "community feel" about it, class sizes are OK (not too big), standard of education seems compatible to the other international schools and our kids love the school. On the negative side the school is lacking in sports facilities and sports options, the school is on a relatively small lot of land and whilst not currently over- crowded there is high demand for new enrolments and it's pupil size is growing. As a previous poster mentioned its best to visit the school yourself as all the schools have their own pros/cons and atmosphere. We are certainly very happy with St A.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

for various reasons we ended up sending our daughter to NIST (mainly cause it was 100% IB), but my wife, a teacher, also visited the St Andrews Suk 71 campus and was suitably impressed by their approach and the general feel of the campus. It turned out to be a very close second in terms of choice of schools for us.

Edited by samran

Good to hear. NIST certainly has a good reputation and I hope your daughter goes well there.

It certainly deserves it, but I've heard nothing but good things about St Andrews.

if it is a close second why did you choose NIST it costs 2.5x as much.

Edited by farang000999

your daughter is very lucky. looks like you will be dropping around 12m(?) on her k-12 education.

Edited by farang000999

As I said, Nist is all IB which was important for us. Their turn over in students is less that 10% per year, this year it was near zero in my daughters year level. So there is good stability there too.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost twice as much. I did the spread sheet of the fees and while Nist is more expense, at the end of the day it works out only marginally more expensive.

As for how much we are going to drop?

Id be paying that in tax back in OZ anyway. Here I pay less tax but more in school fees. Swings and round abouts.

Secondly, my wife is a teacher, and an experienced international school teacher at that, though currently taking maternity break. I have no expectation of paying full fees when she goes back to work, which will happen at some point. And if not, I'm getting my money's worth anyway so not going to quibble.

See attached the spreadsheet I put together when researching options. Hopefully it opens. As said we had two choices. Probably a third more expensive than St Andrews. Not 2.5 times though.

First year was the real kicker with the capital levy and the reg fee - pulled it out of our mortgage and sold some shares (luckily they did well!) Not cheap, but you gotta do what you got to do.

post-441-0-18606100-1409114240_thumb.png

Edited by samran

I see that ST Andrews uses 3 terms which is where I went wrong.

Edited by farang000999

See attached the spreadsheet I put together when researching options. Hopefully it opens. As said we had two choices. Probably a third more expensive than St Andrews. Not 2.5 times though.

First year was the real kicker with the capital levy and the reg fee - pulled it out of our mortgage and sold some shares (luckily they did well!) Not cheap, but you gotta do what you got to do.

Are these rate from their website or an actual quote?

Are these rate from their website or an actual quote?

Fees as published from around the start of 2013.