NCPO urged to cancel Highway 304 expansion

Lite Beer

NCPO urged to cancel Highway 304 expansion
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A major non-government group is calling on the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to cancel a plan to expand Highway 304, saying the project would further destroy national heritage areas.

Srisuwan Janya, president of the Stop Global Warming Association Thailand (Thai SGWA), filed a complaint with the NCPO yesterday asking for the road expansion project to be re-evaluated and revoked in order to preserve Thailand's natural wealth.

Srisuwan also pointed out that this was in line with the junta's "return to happiness" campaign.

Earlier, NCPO deputy chief Admiral Narong Pipattanasai had agreed to consider an environmental impact assessment (EIA) for the expansion of Highway 304 from a two-lane to a four-lane road.

The 335-kilometre long highway goes through Kabin Buri-Pak Thong Chai district in Nakhon Ratchasima province, through the Dong Phaya Yen mountains and past Khao Yai National Park. The report indicated the Bt2.99-billion road expansion would include an overpass and tunnels in order to reduce the risk of wildlife in the area being killed on the road.

However, Thai SGWA opposes the decision, saying it only focused on the economic aspects of the road and neglected the environmental damage it would cause. "The National Environmental Board should do its duty and protect the country's natural resources instead of just supporting investors or acting as a business representative," Srisuwan said.

"An enormous number of wild animals have been killed since Highway 304 was built, so its expansion should certainly be revoked," he said.

He noted that new members of the environmental board had just been appointed a few days ago, and wondered if they really understood the EIA report. He also pointed out that the report was more than 1,000 pages long. Besides, he said, the board did not have representatives from the private sector or proper conservationists.

He warned that if his complaint was ignored, his association and others who wish to preserve their country's natural resources will resort to legal measures to fight the road expansion.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/NCPO-urged-to-cancel-Highway-304-expansion-30239511.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-26

• Like 1

"....An enormous number of wild animals have been killed since highway 304 was built"

No alarm bells ringing yet are there......??

Do many people here in Thailand, really care much for nature and wild animals .....on one hand we have illegal buildings being removed from National Parks to return them to their natural way....now we see the leaders wanting to expand a highway through a NP ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If there is one road in Thailand that needs up-grading it is the part of Route 304 referred to. If Korat is ever to become more of an industrial centre than it is already it desperately needs a good route to the eastern seaboard. The present Route 304 is a dangerous, ill-maintained disgrace; it is wholly unfit for the amount of heavy traffic that currently uses it and needs sorting out almost more than any other road in the Kingdom. I am as much of an animal lover as the next person, but there are instances - and this is certainly one of them - when animals take second place to human necessity, and that doesn't simply mean economic reasons, it means people's lives as well. I hope that the Junta will tell the good and well-meaning president of the Stop Global Warming Association just that.

They will also be building animal crossings (bridges and tunnels) so that will help as there are not any now as I remember.

"....An enormous number of wild animals have been killed since highway 304 was built"

No alarm bells ringing yet are there......??

Do many people here in Thailand, really care much for nature and wild animals .....on one hand we have illegal buildings being removed from National Parks to return them to their natural way....now we see the leaders wanting to expand a highway through a NP ?

I am amazed there are any left alive to be killed on the roads as most of them get eaten by the locals. How do I know this - from several treks through mountainous areas of N & NE Thailand and asking my guides why we hardly see any wildlife.

Improving the road to 4 lane will dramatically reduce the number of accidents along this route, so I am all for that. It appears some people care more about wildlife being killed than humans being maimed or killed.

Let's face it. The greenies are against any type of development anywhere anytime.

If they want to stop global warming ask them to stop breathing. A very positive impact will result.

I am 100% in favor of widening this road.

Good to see that The Junta have stopped wasting money on Issaan, the money could be much better spent on Bangkok and bringing happiness.

Are you reading a different article from the one that I am reading.

The one that I am reading states the following:

A major non-government group is calling on the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to cancel a plan to expand Highway 304

Where does the story say anything about the Junta actually cancelling the project?

• Like 2

...Improving the road to 4 lane will dramatically reduce the number of accidents along this route, so I am all for that. It appears some people care more about wildlife being killed than humans being maimed or killed.

More and wider roads you build, more there will be traffic and positive affect will usually be temporary only.

• Like 1

Good to see that The Junta have stopped wasting money on Issaan, the money could be much better spent on Bangkok and bringing happiness.

Highway 304, is in Issan ??? NOT----- Khorat is the gateway to the north east (which then opens up into the real Issan) ( highway2 from Sarapburi) to Nong Khai.

over 33 years I have driven this route, from Udon Thani. Highway 2 by-pass Khorat, after Khorat city it Joins the 304 well past Kabin Buri leading onto highway 331 to Sattahip.

Your post said that the army had stopped wasting money on Issan, 1. Issan is not on the 304 in question, 2. It did not say that it had stopped spending.

The topic said a body of env., had urged the army not to go ahead. OK or not.???

• Like 2

Highway 304, is in Issan ??? NOT----- Khorat is the gateway to the north east (which then opens up into the real Issan) ( highway2 from Sarapburi) to Nong Khai.

over 33 years I have driven this route, from Udon Thani. Highway 2 by-pass Khorat, after Khorat city it Joins the 304 well past Kabin Buri leading onto highway 331 to Sattahip.

Your post said that the army had stopped wasting money on Issan, 1. Issan is not on the 304 in question, 2. It did not say that it had stopped spending.

The topic said a body of env., had urged the army not to go ahead. OK or not.???

GJ, don't ruin it for Bruce, in his own mind he is correct even if he does appear to be uneducated.

Are you reading a different article from the one that I am reading.

The one that I am reading states the following:

A major non-government group is calling on the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to cancel a plan to expand Highway 304

Where does the story say anything about the Junta actually cancelling the project?

Don't feed the troll!

• Like 1