Taxis back at work around Phuket’s Surin Beach legally – sort of

Lite Beer

Taxis back at work around Phuket’s Surin Beach legally – sort of

Anthika Muangrod

1406353220_1-org.jpg

The original plan called for a taxi call centre in the tourist pavilion at Surin Beach. This now seems unlikely. Image Google Street View

PHUKET: The taxis are back again, working around Surin Beach while waiting for the authorities to decide on how the island’s taxi services should be reorganised.

Ma-Ann Samran, Chief Executive of Cherng Talay OrBorTor told The Phuket News yesterday (July 25) that some taxis in the area are operating again, but as long as they are not waiting in queues or building new exclusive stands “it’s not a problem because we are still waiting for the authorities to finalise what they want to do with taxi call centers.”

Soon after military-backed authorities demolished illegal taxi stands on public property in various parts of Phuket, it was proposed that taxis – in Cherng Talay at least – should be controlled by call centres, with drivers waiting at home to be called in.

However, the Provincial Land Transportation Department (PLTO) wants a more radical solution, with all taxis being equipped with meters and able to pick up passengers anywhere on the island, destroying the old system of taxi territories and their bitter rivalry.

The PLTO proposals have been sent to the National Council for Peace and Order for its approval.

“As a local authority, we will follow the law and the the order from the province,” Mr Ma-ann said. The organizations who are responsible are the PLTO and the police. As a local authority, we don’t have the powers to do [anything about this].

He noted that some taxis are already parking on public land again and this was “not a correct thing to do”.

But, he added, “From the locals’ point of view, they have to make a living somehow. Everything cannot be completed in one time. It must be done little by little.”

Mr Ma-Ann said it was up to the police to check whether people providing taxi services are doing it legally or not.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/taxis-back-at-work-around-phuket%E2%80%99s-surin-beach-legally-sort-of-47545.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-26

...they should also educate about pride in their country, social and enviromentel issues.

Where ever I see fixed price signs or Demands - I see lay-abouts, card players... and anti-social, non-tax payers (No service - no pay)

Where I see a Metered Taxi I see busy drivers and happy local/tourists (And less cars/bikes on the road)

Well it was a thought....

In fairness, before you make changes with a view to changes it would be handy to at least know what the changes will be, how they will impact and then implement them BEFORE starting the changes? Taxi drivers knock down your stands and go home and wait to be called from the call centre which doesn't exist seems a bit retarded. In the meantime there are people who want taxis but what are they top do if all of the taxi drivers are at home waiting for a call that will never come? Is the idea that everybody wanting a taxi calls the call centre from their mobile phone? Or will there be "taxi phones" at strategic places? will companies be able to have their own call centre like they do in the UK? Good intentions but zero thought gone into this

In fairness, before you make changes with a view to changes it would be handy to at least know what the changes will be, how they will impact and then implement them BEFORE starting the changes? Taxi drivers knock down your stands and go home and wait to be called from the call centre which doesn't exist seems a bit retarded. In the meantime there are people who want taxis but what are they top do if all of the taxi drivers are at home waiting for a call that will never come? Is the idea that everybody wanting a taxi calls the call centre from their mobile phone? Or will there be "taxi phones" at strategic places? will companies be able to have their own call centre like they do in the UK? Good intentions but zero thought gone into this

This is the new proposal:PHUKET: -- With the Army backing them, transport officials in Phuket are moving to make radical changes to the way taxis, tuk-tuks and minibuses operate on Phuket.

If they get their way, the surly groups of taxis and tuk-tuks waiting for fares and haggling for the highest possible amount, and the multitude of exclusive taxi territories dotted around the island will be a thing of the past.

Instead, all taxis will have meters and will be obliged to use them, resulting in a situation more like that in Bangkok.

If you care to read more: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/743964-huge-changes-proposed-for-phukets-taxi-and-tuk-tuk-system/

Edited by Jimi007

“As a local authority, we will follow the law and the the order from the province,” Mr Ma-ann said.

"We will not tell the police that illegal taxis are operating again, because it's not our job to do that. However, we can tell the local press, so that they can print it and maybe a police officer reads it and will do something, or nothing. Anyway, it's been a looong day digging my nose and this action here has made me tired, so I'm off to play video games, toodles."

• Like 1

But, he added, “From the locals’ point of view, they have to make a living somehow. Everything cannot be completed in one time. It must be done little by little.”

yes man .....cary on like this............. little by little,................. like thai education for example!...little by little nobody knows a s.h.i..t

they are going to make a great country little by little! ............we have already seen the politic results.......little by little.... and now....? what?

here it is: a little bit old fashion but still work!

coffee1.gif

Edited by VINCENT2012

In a last show of defiance the drivers are still sitting around exactly where their stand used to be waiting for fares, showing little or no imagination. The PLTO scheme is the best but that radical plan also proposed radically high fares at a substantial premium to Bangkok. At the proposed fares it is legitamising the rip-off. Lets bring in Uber! That will quickly destroy a market!

The proposed rate is 50B flagfall and 12B a km. Kata-Karon would be about 150B. More than double Bangkok but less than half the current rate. And since the Phuket taxi and tuk tuks charge for each additional person, it will be way cheaper for groups. Not perfect but a huge improvement.

Edited by NomadJoe

This is the new proposal:PHUKET: -- With the Army backing them, transport officials in Phuket are moving to make radical changes to the way taxis, tuk-tuks and minibuses operate on Phuket.

If they get their way, the surly groups of taxis and tuk-tuks waiting for fares and haggling for the highest possible amount, and the multitude of exclusive taxi territories dotted around the island will be a thing of the past.

Instead, all taxis will have meters and will be obliged to use them, resulting in a situation more like that in Bangkok.

If you care to read more: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/743964-huge-changes-proposed-for-phukets-taxi-and-tuk-tuk-system/

I understand the plans, I've seen that link before and it pertains only to BKK's airports (quote)>"This part of the plan has yet to receive agreement from the Phuket International Airport management, but it has been pointed out that the airport car park is a public area – technically a “special” area, but still public – so for the airport it may be legally difficult to block the entry of hundreds of meter taxis."

You have not answered any of my questions though and neither does the article you linked me to. Don't take me the wrong way as I agree that the bullyboy dimwits should be moved on, I've had run-ins with them myself when collecting a friend from a hotel, they tried to tell me I couldn't take my friends and they had to take a taxi and for me to follow. Didn't happen but theywere nasty. My point is this, okay a great plan (hopefully) but the plan is not even finalised yet (quote)>“it’s not a problem because we are still waiting for the authorities to finalise what they want to do with taxi call centers.” What is going to happen between now and whenever the call centre plans get finalised and implemented?

I understand the plans, I've seen that link before and it pertains only to BKK's airports (quote)>"This part of the plan has yet to receive agreement from the Phuket International Airport management, but it has been pointed out that the airport car park is a public area – technically a “special” area, but still public – so for the airport it may be legally difficult to block the entry of hundreds of meter taxis."

You have not answered any of my questions though and neither does the article you linked me to. Don't take me the wrong way as I agree that the bullyboy dimwits should be moved on, I've had run-ins with them myself when collecting a friend from a hotel, they tried to tell me I couldn't take my friends and they had to take a taxi and for me to follow. Didn't happen but theywere nasty. My point is this, okay a great plan (hopefully) but the plan is not even finalised yet (quote)>“it’s not a problem because we are still waiting for the authorities to finalise what they want to do with taxi call centers.” What is going to happen between now and whenever the call centre plans get finalised and implemented?

They could drive around and hope they get flagged down. I saw a tuk tuk driver doing that this week around Rawai and he was busy! I also read in the Phuket Wan which I can't quote here, said something about the PLTO waiting on approval to set taxi meter fairs and require all taxis to have meters. So who really knows what's going on. We will see what happens sooner or later. The main change that has taken place is they aren't allowed to occupy pubic lands, just like beach and other vendors. New regulations are obviously still in the works to break up the taxi "associations" and restore some civility to transportation "system" on this island.

Taxis are one thing all you Pukkarooos cant knock Pattaya about. Take a leaf out of the book. All the same vehicles. Blue baht bus covers that area, Red baht bus covers that area. White baht bus covers that area. min 10 baht max 20 baht. All follow one route on the main road. If you want to cross the boundary, jump into another baht bus. To make it fair on the drivers, alternate the areas monthly in rotation. If you want to have a taxi all to yourself take a meter taxi. Works fine here in Pattaya.

Taxis are one thing all you Pukkarooos cant knock Pattaya about. Take a leaf out of the book. All the same vehicles. Blue baht bus covers that area, Red baht bus covers that area. White baht bus covers that area. min 10 baht max 20 baht. All follow one route on the main road. If you want to cross the boundary, jump into another baht bus. To make it fair on the drivers, alternate the areas monthly in rotation. If you want to have a taxi all to yourself take a meter taxi. Works fine here in Pattaya.

Thanks for that- no one has ever mentioned the Pattaya Baht buses before. good to know.

• Like 1

What amazes me about all this, is that the problem has been SOLVED all around the world for years, the answer is

TAXI METERS!! They have them in Bangkok and Pattaya, and EVERY other city I have ever visited!

You get in a taxi, there is a set flag-fall for the first set distance, and then an amount per kilometer after that!

I have been saying this for years, but apparently up until now, if you were a Thai politician in Phuket, you could

get killed for using the "M" word! Now we have the Army, all taxi should have a meter, problem solved.

(as for taxi stands, they too are set by the Govt, a good example would be the one in front of Big C in Kamala)

NS

On other thread others such as Pinot are singing the praises of the Military.

I see no real (structural) changes. Just window dressing.

I use a simple method for predicting any outcome involving a Thai.

I just imagine what will happen if the laziest path of non resistance is taken.

Its true the taxis are now milling around the same spots where there salas used to be.

But now they are sitting on fold up chairs.

As soon as the military let down their guard it will be business as usual on Phuket.

What most here fail to understand or have knowledge of is that Surin Beach as well Cherng Talay, Bangtao are heavily populated by a Muslem community. The mafia here is set in the mosque by the Iman. In this case as with most of Phuket you better watch your step in their land. The Army may have started open warfare with this action regardless of its proper intent.

• Like 1

a friend of mine went to cherngtalay police station the other nite with a taxi driver as he was trying to rip them off on a fare from chalong to laguna, when the arrived he then wanted an additional

thb1,000. they refused to pay, so off to the police station at mid night which was all locked up... he banged on the door as he could see one policeman inside. fast asleep legs in the air

on his desk.... no amount of banging awake the policeman up...

they then refused to pay the driver told him they would pay the fare he quoted and if he wanted his money they would be at a bar down in laguna..... he eventually took the money

he quoted to drive them there...

If they had been able to wake the officer, following scenario would have been viable:

SrSgtMajSubLtGenCol1stclass stretches walks to the door and enunciates in Thai: why wake me? Wassup?

Driver says: Help me get extra 1000bt from farang

PO: ok, 50-50

Driver: 60-40

PO: Deal

Farang pays... wai.gif

• Like 2