Taxis back at work around Phuket’s Surin Beach legally – sort of

Taxis are one thing all you Pukkarooos cant knock Pattaya about. Take a leaf out of the book. All the same vehicles. Blue baht bus covers that area, Red baht bus covers that area. White baht bus covers that area. min 10 baht max 20 baht. All follow one route on the main road. If you want to cross the boundary, jump into another baht bus. To make it fair on the drivers, alternate the areas monthly in rotation. If you want to have a taxi all to yourself take a meter taxi. Works fine here in Pattaya.

Taxis are one thing all you Pukkarooos cant knock Pattaya about. Take a leaf out of the book. All the same vehicles. Blue baht bus covers that area, Red baht bus covers that area. White baht bus covers that area. min 10 baht max 20 baht. All follow one route on the main road. If you want to cross the boundary, jump into another baht bus. To make it fair on the drivers, alternate the areas monthly in rotation. If you want to have a taxi all to yourself take a meter taxi. Works fine here in Pattaya.

Thanks for that- no one has ever mentioned the Pattaya Baht buses before. good to know.

• Like 1

What amazes me about all this, is that the problem has been SOLVED all around the world for years, the answer is

TAXI METERS!! They have them in Bangkok and Pattaya, and EVERY other city I have ever visited!

You get in a taxi, there is a set flag-fall for the first set distance, and then an amount per kilometer after that!

I have been saying this for years, but apparently up until now, if you were a Thai politician in Phuket, you could

get killed for using the "M" word! Now we have the Army, all taxi should have a meter, problem solved.

(as for taxi stands, they too are set by the Govt, a good example would be the one in front of Big C in Kamala)

NS

On other thread others such as Pinot are singing the praises of the Military.

I see no real (structural) changes. Just window dressing.

I use a simple method for predicting any outcome involving a Thai.

I just imagine what will happen if the laziest path of non resistance is taken.

Its true the taxis are now milling around the same spots where there salas used to be.

But now they are sitting on fold up chairs.

As soon as the military let down their guard it will be business as usual on Phuket.

What most here fail to understand or have knowledge of is that Surin Beach as well Cherng Talay, Bangtao are heavily populated by a Muslem community. The mafia here is set in the mosque by the Iman. In this case as with most of Phuket you better watch your step in their land. The Army may have started open warfare with this action regardless of its proper intent.

• Like 1

a friend of mine went to cherngtalay police station the other nite with a taxi driver as he was trying to rip them off on a fare from chalong to laguna, when the arrived he then wanted an additional

thb1,000. they refused to pay, so off to the police station at mid night which was all locked up... he banged on the door as he could see one policeman inside. fast asleep legs in the air

on his desk.... no amount of banging awake the policeman up...

they then refused to pay the driver told him they would pay the fare he quoted and if he wanted his money they would be at a bar down in laguna..... he eventually took the money

he quoted to drive them there...

If they had been able to wake the officer, following scenario would have been viable:

SrSgtMajSubLtGenCol1stclass stretches walks to the door and enunciates in Thai: why wake me? Wassup?

Driver says: Help me get extra 1000bt from farang

PO: ok, 50-50

Driver: 60-40

PO: Deal

Farang pays... wai.gif

• Like 2