Multi-car smash at Central Festival Phuket

Lite Beer

Multi-car smash at Central Festival Phuket
Eakkapop Thongtub

1406364839_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: At least six vehicles, including a minibus and a tour bus were involved in a collision at the Central Festival intersection at about 3pm today (July 26).

At least four vehicles were involved.
Two people were injured, one of them a Chinese tourist, and have been taken to hospital.

Police are trying to sort out the mess but traffic at the already congested intersection is currently jammed solid.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/multi-car-smash-at-central-festival-phuket-47547.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-26

It's always a challenge to drive through there, every time.

Yes, surprisingly traffic flow has been quite good there, but it really is very confusing there. Really time they finish the underpass.

You're not kidding. It's especially difficult if you try to follow the light signals. The lanes and lights make absolutely no sense whatsoever. They have spread the intersection out so that now it's like 4 intersections in one, but have left the original light signals. As a result, you can have a green light and still have traffic coming from the side completely uncontrolled. Even for Thailand, I am amazed they planned to leave it this way for the 2 years the construction is supposed to take.

You're not kidding. It's especially difficult if you try to follow the light signals. The lanes and lights make absolutely no sense whatsoever. They have spread the intersection out so that now it's like 4 intersections in one, but have left the original light signals. As a result, you can have a green light and still have traffic coming from the side completely uncontrolled. Even for Thailand, I am amazed they planned to leave it this way for the 2 years the construction is supposed to take.

You are exactly right about the lights. Really, I see no light discipline at all. It's just a free for all. I sit there waiting for the lights to go green in the north bound lane and other drivers (bikes and trucks) just drive through. Amazing....

(I hate these so collected intellegent keyboards that correct spelling - had to edit 3 times now)

It was bound to happen. Yes, very confusing intersection. Heading south, approaching the intersection, and then making a right is scary. Indicator on, moving slowly to the right, blink blink, moving right, indicator on, slowly moving right, and WHAMO some arshole tries to pass me on the right. Now waiting at red to head west. By the time the light is green you're surrounded by 643 motorbikes, many of which cut in front of you because they want to go north. CRAZY.

• Like 1

Just another typical day in Thailand, at least there is no deaths..

Driving is not for the faint hearted.... It's no pleasure whatsoever...

I've been in Phuket on and off for over 12 months, how I would like to hop on the scooter and go exploring this island. I won't do it, despite the fact I have 30+ years riding experience in Aus. Yes I can deal with the traffic coming at me from all directions when required. As for a recreational jaunt, nah too stressful, as in the above ''no pleasure whatsoever''.

• Like 1

I've been in Phuket on and off for over 12 months, how I would like to hop on the scooter and go exploring this island. I won't do it, despite the fact I have 30+ years riding experience in Aus. Yes I can deal with the traffic coming at me from all directions when required. As for a recreational jaunt, nah too stressful, as in the above ''no pleasure whatsoever''.

I agree that there is far less pleasure of riding around the island nowadays.

One way to lessen the stress and improve the views is to take small roads which have much less and slower traffic compared to the main arteries.

I agree that there is far less pleasure of riding around the island nowadays.

One way to lessen the stress and improve the views is to take small roads which have much less and slower traffic compared to the main arteries.

Or travel at night. I had to be at the JW Marriot in Mhao Khao at 6am this morning. It was actually a halfway pleasant ride. Left Rawai at 5am, arrived Mhao Khao 545am. That's on the Click, max 100kph. Wait till I get the big bike. :)

Several posts commenting or bickering about the number of vehicles involved in the shenanigans at Central the other day have been removed.

It was ambiguous/confusing when reposted from the news source, lets leave it at that shall we?