Any New Ethiopian Restaurants?

ricklev

Anybody know of any new Ethiopean restaurants other than Habeesha on Soi Nana?

There was one that opened in the food court of Bangkok Hospital and it was OK. However it is too far out of the way for me and their opening hours are inconvenient. Not sure if it is still there or not.

There was also one on Soi Africa not far from Habeesha, but last time I went there I was told by someone on the street that the police closed it down due to fighting! No real reason to believe that is true, but it was closed.

Thanks!

Edited by ricklev

Well you learn something new every day! An Ethiopian restaurant in Bangkok. On soi Nana no less!

My mental picture is of Michael Buerk doing a piece to camera with starving children around him with flies in their eyes on the big screen TV. Bob Gelldof would be screaming at customers 'give us your f**king money' The background music would be Band Aid's 'Feed the World' (or the American equivalent). and the menu would consist of dry grass curry or emaciated goat stew.

Actually a quick look at their website suggests it is rather nice. I may give it a go sometime.

to directly answer the OP's question: no, I know of no other Ethiopian restaurant in Bangkok, but if one opens near Victory Monument, I'll check in here and let you know.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Have never heard or tasted Ethiopean cuisine. Can the wise ones share names of some popular dishes?

Doro Wat is probably the most famous dish:

http://www.alhabasharestaurant.com/menu.htm

I think when the OP asked if anyone knew of alternative Ethiopian restaurants, he meant alternatives in Bangkok. Dubai is rather a long way to go for a Sicq Sickoosh or Kara Mara, however good they are!

Probably do need to go as far as Dubai or Australia for excellent Ethiopian food.

Are there any baht buses doing that route?

Sorry JT, couldn't resist.

Agreed though Ethiopian food is great.

• Like 1

I went to Habeesha tonight. Totally bizarre atmosphere with a variety of strange characters and a dark, dingy and seedy atmosphere. Horrible service but after an hour or so when the food finally came I forgave them everything because it was very very very damn good!

• Like 1

The other Ethiopian place on Soi Africa is back open. When I walked through the soi to see if it was there at least five people whispered to me as I walked past.... "What can I get you sir" "You want something" "I can help you...."

• 3 months later...

Any new Ethiopian restaurants?

Habeesha is still open, but you never know how long your food will take. I've waited 1.5 hours on occasion. It's part of the experience and the food is worth it, but I would like to be able to go somewhere else.

The Ethiopian Restaurant on Soi Arab around the corner is inconsistently open. Last time I was there a guy ran into the restaurant followed by two police officers who arrested him after a brief but non-violent confrontation. I guess it's closed more than it's open based on a few attempts to eat there. Pretty good food when it's functioning though.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The Ethiopean Restaurant (that's it's name) on Soi Arab is now regularly open and pretty good. I go there every couple of weeks and it satisfies my injera addiction.

I pretty much have given up on Habeesha due to the long waits with no heads up. If it's going to take 1.5 hours to get my food you could at least tell me....

Any new ones open recently that I don't know about?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I have not been to this exact place but there is an Ethiopian restaurant on Soi 3 that has 3 times now changed location (each time to a place still on Soi 3).  The phone number is the same as the last location (which was on a side alley off Soi 3 very near Sukhumvit, West side of the road) so I assume they just relocated again.

If so, their food is great.

• Thanks 1