BANGKOK
camerata

Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

Outstanding, Camerata. One question I have is, do you have to apply for PR at the immigration branch office nearest your residence? For example can a Chiang Mai resident apply in Bangkok or vice versa?

Apparently upcountry residents can apply in Bangkok. The legal firm I hired was handling a case like that. But I wonder where your file would end up at the end of the process and if you would have to apply for future endorsements and re-entries in Bangkok?

Something I forgot to mention is that when applying for PR you are given a 6-month extension visa, which is followed by 3-month extensions until the application is approved or rejected. But you can ask for 6-month extensions and that will save you a work permit renewal each time. Make a point of seeing the same officer you dealt with before and asking for 6 months.

There is some good information about PR requirements at http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/do...tion4extend.doc dated December 2003. It gives a good idea of how they intended the system to work, complete with a disclaimer at the end saying that even if you fulfill all the requirements they can still reject you and don't have to tell you the reason.

What is the benefit of having PR? I see that you still have to pay for re-entry. Can you buy land at least?

What is the benefit of having PR? I see that you still have to pay for re-entry. Can you buy land at least?

Check the Benefits of PR topic to see what people think about this. For me, the main benefit is the status change. You don't have to leave the country within 7 days if you lose your job, and you don't have to worry about the requirements for a retirement visa when you retire. Your status in Thailand is no longer tied to your work permit and you don't have to extend a visa each year or report your address every 90 days.

Other benefits are that you can buy a condo without importing the money from overseas and you can sit on the board of a public company.

Could you elaborate on "contribution to Thai society." What would suffice?

Immigration has never given any details, so it's up to the applicant. I would say membership of an organization involved in charitable activities (Rotary Club, etc) or maybe a record of donations over 5,000 baht to charities or temples (temples can give an official receipt) would be useful.

For many applicants I think the reference letters are a substitute for social contribution. I can't imagine many expat businessmen have a significant social contribution if they've only been in the country 3-4 years.

Update:- Was at immigration yesterday for the PR Visa extension, they said next month is the big meeting..... not signed off on, but I think after that if is sent for final approval.

good luck skippy.....by the way in the interview questions (in front of a camera) if they ask you what the Thai National Day ("Wan Chart") is, answer December 5th (the King's Birthday), not December 10th (Constitution Day)...that's the only question I got wrong.....

post-8384-1151847597_thumb.jpg

Certificate of Residence

I filled-up my book (with exit and entry stamps) and applied for a new one...they said it will be white color from now on....is there any significance to that??