Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

My secretary had to submit some more documents post interview, and even 10 -11 months later still had to submit a few things. They are just ticking the boxes is my guess.

Hang in there, it will be another year before u pick it up

Hehehehe - when I asked after the interview when the announcements would be made, she said "July". She didn't add "next year"! :o

quick question.

Depending who you speak to (in the real world) there is either under the table money involved or there isn't. Those who say no bribery is involved tend to be the people who applied for PR themselves. Speak to a lawyer who handles PR applications, and they say that greasing of the wheels is definetly needed.

So where lies the truth? I tend to get the impression that the process is pretty clean, and that lawyers are telling clients that bribery is involved, but they end up pocketing that money themselves.

quick question.

Depending who you speak to (in the real world) there is either under the table money involved or there isn't. Those who say no bribery is involved tend to be the people who applied for PR themselves. Speak to a lawyer who handles PR applications, and they say that greasing of the wheels is definetly needed.

So where lies the truth? I tend to get the impression that the process is pretty clean, and that lawyers are telling clients that bribery is involved, but they end up pocketing that money themselves.

Hi Samran,

What you say does not reflect my experience or that of anyone else with PR I know -and I know a lot.I used a lawyer and paid no extras/tea money etc.Furthermore the lawyer's fees were within his usual rates which I had monitored over many years, so there was no question of corruption payments being hidden in legal bills.Furthermore in my experience -which is considerable -I have never heard a reliable case of corruption at Suan Plu and I think it gives a false impression to suggest otherwise.Now I am not entirely naive in thinking payments never take place but would suggest that the key requirement is to retain a reputable and experienced immigration lawyer, preferably from a big name firm.

I believe the post by Samran indicates that some lawyers will tell there clients that they have to pay money and then pocket the money. That has nothing to do with Suan Phlu. No payment was ever required.

I don't think Samran was quite so explicit as you suggest, though we all I think share the same general conclusion, that the PR process is clean.It does however rather underline my point that, for those that decide to use the services of a lawyer it is essential to choose wisely.As far as ruling out Suan Phlu from any irregular payments, I have already made it clear that in my experience this does not happen.As far as absolute certainty,in terms say of applications from China and the Indian subcontinent I cannot be 100% sure -and neither with respect can you.

-and neither with respect can you.

My post "no payment was ever required" was meant in the context of the shady lawyer pocking the money - not as you have seemed to take it as a judgment that it would/could/never happen.

Coming back in, came through the Thai channel. Asked the officer if this was the correct channel, and not even a yes or a no.... just total silence.

My experience so far has been that the Immigration officers ask me something in Thai and when they find I can speak the language OK they are super-friendly and chatty. When going through the Thai channel (which saved me a LOT of time recently) I usually get a stern look until they see the Residence Certificate, presumably because they initially think I am a tourist trying to sneak through.

I believe the post by Samran indicates that some lawyers will tell there clients that they have to pay money and then pocket the money. That has nothing to do with Suan Phlu. No payment was ever required.

I don't think Samran was quite so explicit as you suggest, though we all I think share the same general conclusion, that the PR process is clean.It does however rather underline my point that, for those that decide to use the services of a lawyer it is essential to choose wisely.As far as ruling out Suan Phlu from any irregular payments, I have already made it clear that in my experience this does not happen.As far as absolute certainty,in terms say of applications from China and the Indian subcontinent I cannot be 100% sure -and neither with respect can you.

YH, thanks for the post.

To be honest, all first hand experiences that I've heard of reflect yours. I am sure what you say is 100% correct in all cases which was why what I heard from a couple of trusted sources confused me even more (and hence my question). A recent example: a collegue inquired about PR this week and he was advised by one lawyer he spoke to that under the table monies would be required. I suspected that the lawyer was just trying to pull a shifty....and pocket the money himself, given that TIT and people generally expect that payments to official-dom are required from time to time to get things moving.

Coming back in, came through the Thai channel. Asked the officer if this was the correct channel, and not even a yes or a no.... just total silence.

My experience so far has been that the Immigration officers ask me something in Thai and when they find I can speak the language OK they are super-friendly and chatty. When going through the Thai channel (which saved me a LOT of time recently) I usually get a stern look until they see the Residence Certificate, presumably because they initially think I am a tourist trying to sneak through.

Usually chit chat with them, and the ladies are of course more interested in babble ( in Thai ) . This one was obviously not happy in her job or has hubby issues / PMS / What ever..... So I guess the Thai channel is the correct one for the PR holder ?

Edited by skippybangkok

Yes, the Thai channel is the correct channel for a PR holder. I was a little nervous the first time I tried to use the Thai channel for fear of being rejected. One immigration lady rudely waved me away from the Thai line once but I held my residence book up in the air and she sat down again. When I got to the front of the line she was an absolute cow. She told me off for not filling in my visa number. I noted to her that it was not a visa but a re-entry. She threatened to give me a one month stamp and cancel my PR. I told her that she was a rude woman who had no authority to do that or speak to me in such a way and that if she touched my PR book I would be going straight to the Police to report her. What a cow she was. Other than this, I have never had any issues.

Yes, the Thai channel is the correct channel for a PR holder. I was a little nervous the first time I tried to use the Thai channel for fear of being rejected. One immigration lady rudely waved me away from the Thai line once but I held my residence book up in the air and she sat down again. When I got to the front of the line she was an absolute cow. She told me off for not filling in my visa number. I noted to her that it was not a visa but a re-entry. She threatened to give me a one month stamp and cancel my PR. I told her that she was a rude woman who had no authority to do that or speak to me in such a way and that if she touched my PR book I would be going straight to the Police to report her. What a cow she was. Other than this, I have never had any issues.

You may be right that the Thai channel is correct, but I have always used the foreigner channel and have never been given the impression this was inappropriate.There used to be a dedicated permanent resident channel but I haven't seen this for a few years.

As to the disagreable woman on the desk It's hard to know how to play this and after all these years I'm still surprised at the relatively few examples of Thai rudeness in the bureaucracy.I do recall however that this used to be the case in the UK before the Thatcherite revolution which had a side effect of demolishing the "jobsworth" attitude which pervaded the British public service.I used to dislike Mrs Thatcher but over the years I have come to think of her as hugely under appreciated, at least by those of us on the liberal wing of politics.Back to the Thai immigration example remember that all that rude woman had was her so called "dignity", otherwise underskilled and underpaid in a world that passes her by and where she is on a junior rung in a world that requires constant deference..Understandable perhaps -though not excusable- if she takes it out on a foreigner, albeit one with PR, who she does not have to rank in the hierachical Thai cosmos.

Edited by younghusband

As to the disagreable woman on the desk It's hard to know how to play this and after all these years I'm still surprised at the relatively few examples of Thai rudeness in the bureaucracy.I do recall however that this used to be the case in the UK before the Thatcherite revolution which had a side effect of demolishing the "jobsworth" attitude which pervaded the British public service.I used to dislike Mrs Thatcher but over the years I have come to think of her as hugely under appreciated, at least by those of us on the liberal wing of politics.Back to the Thai immigration example remember that all that rude woman had was her so called "dignity", otherwise underskilled and underpaid in a world that passes her by and where she is on a junior rung in a world that requires constant deference..Understandable perhaps -though not excusable- if she takes it out on a foreigner, albeit one with PR, who she does not have to rank in the hierachical Thai cosmos.

Although I and my scandanavian looking daughter both have Thai PP's, my approach with these things (was well as a lot of other things in Thailand) is to look like you own it and are entitled to be there. It helps put the rude people in their place (all of a sudden you are a part of the hierarchical cosmos) and they are back in their little box. Goes against the grain of my basic Australian raised, cafe-latte sipping egalitarian belief system, but it sometimes pays to act this way.

• 2 weeks later...

Advice needed . . . . .

I applied for PR last December, had my interview in early February, and as far as I know my paper-work is completed. I am now just playing the waiting game, and remaining relatively jai yen-yen about it all.

Is there, at this stage, any problem if I were to change job here?

Thanks,

G

Advice needed . . . . .

I applied for PR last December, had my interview in early February, and as far as I know my paper-work is completed. I am now just playing the waiting game, and remaining relatively jai yen-yen about it all.

Thanks,

G

Better let the experts reply, but I was asked for the WP at the Tabien Baan place when changing from Yellow to Blue. Cant remember where else they asked

Advice needed . . . . .

Thanks,

G

Better let the experts reply, but I was asked for the WP at the Tabien Baan place when changing from Yellow to Blue. Cant remember where else they asked

I wouldn't be expecting to change jobs until the end of July 2008, so it might all be irrelevant by then. On the other hand, that might be when it would be MOST relevant!

G

• 2 weeks later...

There shouldn't be any problem if your paperwork has been completed. They looked at my work permit at the district office when I was being registered on a tabien baan but I doubt they would have known if the job was different from the one I had when I started the PR process.

• 2 weeks later...

The new regulations for PR applications are on the immigration website Here and there are some interesting changes.

• Health Certificate must now be issued by a government hospital
  • DNA tests (from a government hospital) must now be done to establish paternity
  • More financial stuff needed - copies of two years salary statements
  • Copy of contract of employment needed

It states now that applications can be submmitted at other places than Suan Phlu.

However, the most interesting thing is that the front page of the document implies that "grantees" will be informed within 30 days of completion of the whole application process - at least I think thats what it means!!

G

Edited by grtaylor

A question:

I hold my permanent residence status since 2002. Now I might go back to Europe and work there, however my plan is to spent my "old days" in Thailand and for that reason I want to try to hold onto my PR. I could be working in Europe about 10 to 15 years before I return to Thailand permanently again :o .

Is it correct that when I make sure that before I leave Thailand I get my re-entry (endorsement) stamped in both the PR and my passport and then return to Thailand before this re-entry expires. Next to that I would have to do my local police station reporting every 5 years.

A question:

I hold my permanent residence status since 2002. Now I might go back to Europe and work there, however my plan is to spent my "old days" in Thailand and for that reason I want to try to hold onto my PR. I could be working in Europe about 10 to 15 years before I return to Thailand permanently again :o .

Is it correct that when I make sure that before I leave Thailand I get my re-entry (endorsement) stamped in both the PR and my passport and then return to Thailand before this re-entry expires. Next to that I would have to do my local police station reporting every 5 years.

I think you are correct. I once spent a few days over 12 months on an overseas job and lost my Permanent Residence and had to go through the whole process again. As far as I know, you can only get a re-entry endorsement valid for a year so you will have to make a trip back before each expiry. If you pay in advance you can get your Alien Book updated every five years.

Right. You would need to come back to Thailand each year to have your PR and passport stamped, and every five years to have your Alien's Book stamped by the local police.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody out there got PR and since retired? Do you still file a Thai tax return or not bother? Any problems if you do, or don't? Do banks and other places accept your Alien's Book instead of a Work Permit for opening accounts etc?

• 4 weeks later...
Has anybody out there got PR and since retired? Do you still file a Thai tax return or not bother? Any problems if you do, or don't? Do banks and other places accept your Alien's Book instead of a Work Permit for opening accounts etc?

I think you should be able to use your house registration in lieu of work permit if you retire. Since the logic to require work permit is to use it in absence of house registration document for foreigner. For e.g. Thai are require to must have ID and House Registration copy in order to do any formal thing. In case of foreigners, we use Passport in lieu of ID card and Work Permit in lieu of House Registration for Thais. In case of PR holder, you should be able to substitute the work permit with your house registration. But This is Thailand, expect different rules at different places :o

not retired....... Ive got a PR book and a Work Permit book, but just to test the theory, when I opened a new bank account, I pretended not to have a work permit, but presented my PR book (with passport)....(they never asked for the household registration book (tabien baan)).....

of course the front person had a knee-jerk reaction to insist on me presenting a work permit to open a bank account....but I stood my ground (just for educational purposes for bank front office staff....think of people who no longer work or need to work but have a PR book)...

the bank manager was consulted and immediately recognized that a PR book was even better and instructed the front office persons to open the account....several account officers were called over to see that a PR book was acceptable....(I guess they must be comparatively rare?).....

[a friend of mine used his Alien Book to get the Thai citizen fee rate at a National park, but I dont think I would be that fastidious].....

of course the front person had a knee-jerk reaction to insist on me presenting a work permit to open a bank account....but I stood my ground (just for educational purposes for bank front office staff....think of people who no longer work or need to work but have a PR book)...

Yes. Generally, everyone knows what a work permit is, but surprisingly few have seen an Alien's book before. I had similar problems when I had a Thai government ID card, which can be used in place of other ID. Banks would always ask for my passport. If I said I didn't have the passport with me, they would look at the ID card suspiciously and photocopy it.

Yes. Generally, everyone knows what a work permit is, but surprisingly few have seen an Alien's book before. I had similar problems when I had a Thai government ID card, which can be used in place of other ID. Banks would always ask for my passport. If I said I didn't have the passport with me, they would look at the ID card suspiciously and photocopy it.

well for a variety of ID cards, the cheap fake ones you can get on Khao Sarn Road look kindof convincing, so that might be a source of suspicion for some...

• 3 months later...

No one has updated the Permanent Resident Application thread in 2008 so I will be the first one to do so in case I can be of any help to others contemplating this process.

First I should say that I am single, don’t meet the basic salary requirements and that I am not using any law firm to help me through this process. For privacy reasons I will not mention my company or the work I do.

This year approximately 400 persons are applying for PR.

Most of the applications are in the Family Support Category.

4 persons are applying under the special category.

Judging from the people accepted last year, 60-75% of the applicants will get accepted that applied this year.

From personal observation of the people applying, I don't think that Chinese and Indian nationals will reach their quota of 100 persons per country. And no other nationality will even be close to reaching their quota.

I think the overall objective of the PR section is to only accept persons into the process that have a high chance of getting PR.

So if you are accepted, you have a pretty good chance of making it through the process as long as you can provide them with all the documentation that they require (and have the patience).

The main criteria for being accepted into the process is:

• Your monthly salary for the last 2 years must have been 80k or higher and you must have been paying taxes on this income.

• 3 years or more of continuous visa extensions. Either Business or Marriage.

• You must provide them with all the documentation on their list

If you don't meet this basic criteria, they will not even look at your application, unless you are applying under the investment category or special circumstances.

Under the investment category you need to purchase Thai Government Bonds valued at more than 10 million baht and hold them for 3-5 years (I forget the exact time frame)

Under the Special Circumstances Category, you need to show that your stay in Thailand has greatly contributed to Thailand and you need to have your application sponsored and guaranteed by Level 10 or higher Government official (Minister, Governor, Head of Ministry, etc.)

I applied under the special circumstances category and was able to get 2 very high ranking government official to sponsor and guarantee my application.

Technically, they don’t have a process or set requirements for the special category and the main documentation should be to show your contribution to Thailand.

However in practice they make you provide the exact same documentation as the business and family support category.

Generally speaking, if you are not working for a large multi national company and making a lot of money, they try to discourage your from the process.

Ok so begins the process:

I had no intention of applying for PR as I though I had no chance; however immigration forced me in a corner. My business showed a loss for the previous year and because of this they refused to renew my visa, which had been extended without interruption for 5 years. My current visa was to expire in 2 weeks and I was required to leave the country.

My solution?

Apply for PR.

The Irony is that I was not qualified to get a visa extension, but I was able to get a 6 months extension while my application for Permanent Residence Status is under consideration.

Since I did not make enough money to qualify under the business category and am single and don’t have 10 million bhat to invest in government bonds but did make valuable contribution to Thailand, I thought I would try the special category.

I was able to get two very high ranking officials to sign a letter that I had drawn up stating that I had made valuable contributions to Thailand.

I live outside Bangkok and the local immigration office had no idea about the special circumstances category or how to process it, so I had to fly and apply in Bangkok.

I got my entire documentation ready and with only 2 days left in the year and four days before I had to leave the country I went to Bangkok Immigration Room 302.

After looking at my paperwork, they refused to accept my application as the letters from the high ranking officials were not properly formatted and they were not a high enough rank to be acceptable.

One of the letters was from an assistant minister with the authority to sign on behalf of the minister; however they wanted the minister to sign himself.

I went away frustrated, knowing that there was no way that I could get a minister to sign on such a short notice.

As a last desperate attempt, I contacted one of the agencies that provided me with a letter and explained my problem.

They were extremely helpful and right away that same afternoon brought be back to immigration and had a talk with the head at room 302

They were able to convince the head of the PR department to accept my application on the assurance that a letter from the minister would be provided in the future.

So they accepted my application but I would still need to provide all the documentation required for the business category. They checked the rest of my documentation very carefully.

Since I have never done this before and was doing this all by myself, half of the documentation was wrong or incomplete but they still went ahead and accepted my application:

1. FBI Record, I had not received it yet from the FBI, but was able to show them that I had applied for it by showing my FEDEX shipping receipt

2. Health certificate, (must be from a government hospital) The doctor that signed the health certificate said that I did not need a blood test as it was obvious that I did not have syphilis. However immigration did not accept the certificate and wanted a blood test done and the proof. (another 4 hours wait at a government hospital)

3. All Tax, Monthly salary and company documents must be originals and not photocopies. This means that they need to be reissued and certified by the relevant agency. No photocopies Period. Make sure that all your documentation is original and newly issued by the relevant agency. So for example your tax receipts need to be certified by the tax department one more time.

4. You need a letter of guarantee from the labor department. Showing your work permit is not enough!

5. Pictures of your work and residence MUST have you in them.

They told me that I could bring all these on my next interview with the letter from the minister.

In the meantime, Thailand gets a new government and good bye to the minister that was to sign my letter.

After providing more than 100 pages of documentation supporting my contributions to Thailand, I was able to get the new minister to sign the letter.

In March 2008 I come in for my first interview.

Since I speak (but cannot read or write) fluent Thai everything went pretty well.

They asked me if I understood the process and had me confirm a bunch of information.

There was a video interview where you introduce yourself, your work and what you like to do in your spare time, etc.

If you don’t speak Thai (and they like you), you can have a cheat sheet. That is have someone write your Thai speech in Big English letters so that you can read your speech while the video is being shot.

Something like a teleprompter. However make sure to look at the camera so it doesn’t look like you are cheating.

My documentation was still not complete, so they gave me a list of things to bring on the next (and possibly final) interview.

They wanted to have the FBI record certified by my embassy and then have it certified by the Foreign ministry (which I knew they would but wanted to make sure that they would first accept my FBI record)

There was a slight error in my taxes returns and they wanted me to correct it. (and pay additional taxes)

They wanted me to get copies of my older work permits so that I could show that I have been working in Thailand for more than 2 years that my current work permit shows.

They told me to come back for a written interview in mid April, which will consist of 10 questions at which time I could provide the rest of the missing documents.

I noticed that this time the staff was more friendly and cheerful, I am not sure if this is an indication that my chances of getting PR have gotten better.

In any case they have always been professional and extremely thorough in their work.

Eventually all your information has to go to a committee made up of various officials from different government departments to decide on your application.

(Police, Immigration, Education, Foreign ministry etc..)

They cannot submit your application to this committee unless your documentation is in perfect order.

The committee considers applications in batches, these batches are divided by category (business, family, investment, special)

Don’t know which batches will be considered first, but the head of PR department said that unlike past years they will try to get the process finished under one year.

Will try to update this thread as I go through the process.

Edited by THAIJAMES

Since nobody has done it before, here's my guide to the Permanent Resident application process:

Disclaimer

These are my personal experiences as a single guy living in rented accommodation in Bangkok and working for a Thai company. The details of the process differ from year to year, from province to province, and according to the applicant's situation and reason for applying. This is a guide, not the bible.

Do you need a lawyer?

It doesn't make any difference to Immigration if you use a lawyer or not. It doesn't make you look better or worse. But it does affect the process a little.

A legal firm with experience in PR applications should be able to give you useful advice on how to provide a "portfolio" showing your contribution to society, ensure all your Thai-language company documents are correct and complete, handle translation of documents, and save you some running around. Your own company lawyer - if you have one - can probably help with everything except the portfolio.

If you hire a legal firm, it will probably consider the approval of your application to be the end of the process. If you want them to help you with the various steps after approval, you'd better put that in the written agreement so it's understood by all. If you hand over a lot of documents to them, make a list and get them to sign for them in case any go missing.

Myths

You don't need to be married to obtain PR. There are minimum salary guidelines for each nationality, but these aren't written down and they aren't set in stone. In some circumstances you can apply if you fall short of the minimum salary.

Preparation and documents

First, go to Immigration (Room 301 at the Suan Phlu Office in Bangkok), tell them which category you are applying in (Investment, Work/Business, Humanitarian, Expert) and request the appropriate documents. They'll give you a sheet "Detailed Information Needed for Residence Permit Applications," TM.9 Application for Permanent Residence, a Personal Information sheet, a sheet titled "Documents required when applying for a residence permit in the category of [whatever you requested]," a sample medical certificate and a sample form for submitting Thai-language maps of your home and workplace.

Many of the 20 documents listed are related to your employer, work and tax record for the previous 3 years and must have been signed (or issued) within 3 months of making your application. Some documents must be translated into Thai and certified by your embassy. Educational certificates must be translated into Thai and certified by the Foreign Ministry.

Others documents on the list include:

(2) a medical certificate as per their official sample (the one that declares you free from syphilis and elephantiasis) issued by a hospital in the 3 months prior to the application date.

(3) certificate of no criminal record from your "domicile" and certified by your embassy. This means the country whose passport you are currently using, and you need to apply direct to your country's police for this. If your country has criminal record checks with and without fingerprints, you'll probably need the one with fingerprint check. Immigration can do the fingerprints for you free of charge (Room 301). If your country has federal and state record checks, you'll need the federal one. Expect this to take 3-8 weeks in Western countries but it could take up to 3 months.

(17) maps in Thai language of your place of residence and work (if applicable).

(19) "Personal Information sheet and the applicant's portfolio, which includes detailed information about family background, knowledge and ability, working experience, special ability, social work, work place, residence together with photo (using the A4 document folder)."

The photos required are of the exterior and interior of your home and workplace. It might be a good idea to have yourself in the photos too.

The portfolio depends on what you have available. The purpose of the portfolio is to establish that you are an upstanding citizen who is unlikely to get into financial or other trouble in the future. Anything that portrays you as a somebody, as someone who is a cut above the rest or as financially secure is worth submitting. Some suggestions:

* Complete resume going back to school.

* Letter to Immigration from yourself detailing your contribution to Thai society.

* Documents supporting your contribution to society.

* Reference letters from senior Thais supporting your good character and application. Obviously, the more senior or well-known, the better. Give your referees a template letter in Thai to make it easier for them.

* Membership of charitable organizations.

* Membership of non-profit organizations, such as chambers of commerce.

* Newspaper clippings mentioning you or written by you. Any publications written by you.

* Certificates or diplomas.

* Copies of bank books, certificates of transferring money into Thailand, share certificates, pension records, provident fund records, condo ownership and other assets.

Applying

Immigration is open for applications from about mid-December until the last working day of the year. Only two weeks. You take your file in and an officer will check the documents. Quite likely there will be something that needs correcting or updating, but from now on you deal with this officer so it's easier to get questions answered. You'll also get your fingerprints taken at this point.

The officer will give you an appointment sheet with details of the date and time for your interview and Thai-language test in March or April and tell you to bring along your annual Income Tax return (Por Ngor Dor 90/91) and company tax documents for December. This officer isn't a total expert on documentation, so don't be surprised if you get requests for corrected/updated documents right up until June the following year.

The Interview

In my case, the officer who interviewed me was the same one who accepted my application and documents 4 months before, so things were pretty relaxed and friendly. I had a young lawyer with me. Since I speak Thai pretty well, the whole discussion was in Thai. Mostly it was about the documents, my background, and the PR process. Every now and again a question came right out of the blue, like "What religion are you?" So I got the impression my Thai language skills and general demeanour were being examined. The officer typed on a PC the whole time.

After the discussion, she printed out a long statement (in Thai) from the computer, asked the lawyer to read it to me and explain anything I didn't understand, and then we both had to sign it. The document was a long series of statements such as, "I explained to the applicant that after receiving notice of a successful application, he must come to the Immigration office within 30 days. The applicant said he understood." In fact, some of the statements hadn't been made in the interview.

After we'd signed, she asked the lawyer to leave. Then she gave me a sheet of 10 multiple answer questions written in Thai. Since I don't read Thai very well at all, she read the questions and the answers, pointing at the ABCD answers as she read them. Some of the answers had little pictures which made them easier. With some of them, you could tell just from the answers which was the odd one out, even if you didn't understand the question.

Some of the questions were pretty easy, some required a basic knowledge of Thailand (How many provinces there are, etc), and one was about the PR process (i.e. the stuff I had signed in the statement). The only problem I had was that the questions were phrased in formal written Thai style rather than the spoken Thai I'm used to. If I didn't understand the question, it was pretty easy to figure out the question from the answers.

The test doesn't take long. After that, you go into a partitioned area and introduce yourself in Thai while they record it on camera. It looked like an ordinary Sony still camera to me, so the video mode would probably not be more than a couple of minutes. I kept my intro short, but I was asked a couple of questions after I finished.

Approval letter

I received my approval letter 16 months after making the application. The letter is in Thai but there are separate instructions in English on what documents you need to get the Certificate of Residence (you must do this within 30 days):

1. Original and copy of passport (certified true copy by you)

2. Original and copy of the House Registration book of your residence (certified true copy by the owner) and details of the local police station whose jurisdiction it is in. You will be put on this House Registration later.

3. 12 4x6cm photos not more than 3 months old.

4. Fee of 191,400 baht (if single) or 95,700 baht if the spouse of Thai national or PR holder paid in cash or by cashier's cheque (in Bangkok only). A copy of any cashier's cheque.

Picking up the Certificate of Residence

When you go to Immigration they give you a sheet "Procedures in obtaining the Certificate of Residence (TM.16)" that describes most of the following procedures. In Bangkok they will take you to Room 202 and you'll never deal with Room 301 again.

You pay the fee, give them 4 photos, have your thumbprint taken and give some information that will be forwarded to your local police and end up in your Alien Registration book. They will take the embarkation form out of your passport and write the details (i.e. flight number) of your last entry into Thailand on it. Then they'll stamp your passport with details of the Certificate of Residence. At some point in this process they will decide how to spell your name in Thai and may not ask you about it. If you want it spelt correctly, find some diplomatic way of giving it to them early on. You pick up your Certificate of Residence (actually a book) the next day and take it plus the letter they give you to your local police station. You must do this within 7 days of submitting your documents, not 7 days from receiving the Residence Certificate.

Obtaining the Alien Registration Book

You take the Residence Book and the letter they give you to the police, along with 4 photos, tabien baan (House Registration book), and copies of your passport, Residence Book and tabien baan. Plus the police will need the names of your mother and father in Thai script. Pay 400 baht for the current year and 800 baht for the next 5 years. Pick up the Alien Registration book a couple of weeks later. Then start the process to get put on the tabien baan.

Being put on a House Registration book

You apply at your district office to be put on a tabien baan. You'll probably deal with someone senior and have to provide copies of passport, tabien baan, Residence Book and Alien Book. There is no charge at all. After submitting the documents, they give you a letter which you take back to Immigration and make an appointment to go back to the district office. Immigration then gives you another letter which you take back to the district office.

For the second interview at the district office you need two Thais to act as witnesses. One will normally be the owner of your residence. The officer will ask you all a lot of detailed questions (how you know the witnesses, what's your blood group, etc) and write out an interview form for each of you, to which he'll add your photo and thumbprint and send them to the Interior Ministry "as evidence." Then you are put on the tabien baan and have reached the end of the process.

Traveling outside Thailand

Before taking a trip outside Thailand you must apply for a 1-year endorsement of your Residence Book (1,900 baht) and a re-entry ("non-quota Immigrant") visa in your passport (1,900 baht single, 3,800 baht multiple) valid for one year.

What you get

post-8384-1151847597_thumb.jpg

post-8384-1151847644_thumb.jpg

Certificate of Residence and Alien Registration Book

Just found this! This is great Camerta thank you so much! I am very happy to know this can be done, as with a family making border runs all the time would just be too much. This really helps in planning our future. :o