Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

On 10/19/2012 at 7:41 PM, camerata said:

The Citizen's ID number is assigned at the District Office and put on your tabien ban. They don't inform you about it and you probably wouldn't notice until you apply for a driving licence and they put it on there instead of your passport number.

And nowadays Thai banks prefer to use the Thai ID number if you have one, rather than your original passport number.

For this purpose most/all banks will accept your Thai pink plastic ID card or the Tabien Baan book.

Banks prefer your Thai ID number because it's for life whereas the passsport number changes every 5 or 10 years and needs to be updated at your bank. 

Totally blindsided but my company has informed me that as they are not responsible to help with anything non-business related, they will not be providing any help at all. The documents I asked for were the following:

• Monthly ภงด1 (needs via Rev Dep. with power of attorney)
  • Current company affidavit
  • Company affidavit from companies 1-3 years prior to submission date
  • List of shareholders
  • Company registation copy
  • Copy of last 3 years financial statements and receipts (needs via Rev Dep. with power of attorney)
  • BOI certificate copy

They essentially said that I need a POA (Power of Attorney) for some, which they have to provide, which they won't. And even the documents that does not need it, they won't provide them. They also won't validate any documents authenticity (I asked them to maybe put a stamp on the 50tawis they sent me).

Am I completely screwed or is this salvageable?

Edited by jombangkok

19 hours ago, jombangkok said:

Thank you, could you expand on what PP is? I googled and, do you mean ภ.พ.? I have never seen any of these examples (in google images) and for sure I have no original nor copy with me and I save a lot of documents. Most documents I have are also digital, payslips, 50tawis, ภงด91s etc. I do have the TIN as a physical copy so there's that..

PP= Passport

Your original passport and Physical TIN is all that is required.

You do not need to carry any document.

They have a form you will fill it, can request all your tax copies.

Monthly tax payments is called PND 1 and the yearly one is known as PND 91.

You require 3 years of PND 91 + PND 1 (Jan 2022 -Oct 2022) for PR

The Revenue Dept is at the last in this Soi (alley), do not enter the main building, instead go to the back, there is a 7-eleven and a KrungThai Bank branch, just next to them is the office where they certify tax records.

You will see a board to call out numbers, go inside take your Q and wait, when your Q is called, let them know want certified tax records, fill the form, pay the appropriate fee, wait, get documents.

They do not speak English there, bring someone to translate if you dont speak Thai.

Good Luck.

• Love It 1

38 minutes ago, jombangkok said:

Totally blindsided but my company has informed me that as they are not responsible to help with anything non-business related, they will not be providing any help at all. The documents I asked for were the following:

• Monthly ภงด1 (needs via Rev Dep. with power of attorney)
  • Current company affidavit
  • Company affidavit from companies 1-3 years prior to submission date
  • List of shareholders
  • Company registation copy
  • Copy of last 3 years financial statements and receipts (needs via Rev Dep. with power of attorney)
  • BOI certificate copy

They essentially said that I need a POA (Power of Attorney) for some, which they have to provide, which they won't. And even the documents that does not need it, they won't provide them. They also won't validate any documents authenticity (I asked them to maybe put a stamp on the 50tawis they sent me).

Am I completely screwed or is this salvageable?

They sound a right load of so and sos. I don't see how it would doable without cooperation from your employer.  Even if some documents could perhaps be certified by the RD, most will need the company's certification and you will need the PofA and a letter confirming your position and salary.

Do you mean to say that, if a Thai employer asked them for a salary letter with certified company affidavit, if required by a bank to get a mortgage on a house, they would also tell him to naff off and look for another job, if he insists on troubling them for documents not directly instrumental in them making money?

3 hours ago, DrJoy said:

No...

Only the Revenue Department can certify them. 

Right, I meant to ask if I can print my 50 tawis, take them to the place with TIN and Passport, and they can check and certify them. Or can they provide 50tawis as well? Or is it just only the the ภงด91's?

3 hours ago, Arkady said:

They sound a right load of so and sos. I don't see how it would doable without cooperation from your employer.  Even if some documents could perhaps be certified by the RD, most will need the company's certification and you will need the PofA and a letter confirming your position and salary.

Do you mean to say that, if a Thai employer asked them for a salary letter with certified company affidavit, if required by a bank to get a mortgage on a house, they would also tell him to naff off and look for another job, if he insists on troubling them for documents not directly instrumental in them making money?

Definitely sounds like a huge load of .. so's to me too. The Admin department is not to blame though, they simply report what HQ's policy says. I might have to ask the higher ups directly to see if they can allow it.

1 hour ago, jombangkok said:

Right, I meant to ask if I can print my 50 tawis, take them to the place with TIN and Passport, and they can check and certify them. Or can they provide 50tawis as well? Or is it just only the the ภงด91's?

They dont stamp your documents, they will verify from their own database, certify and hand it to you.

Any tax related document which belongs to you can be requested there, not to worry.

As arkady mentioned, without company help, it will be impossible to apply for PR

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jombangkok said:

Definitely sounds like a huge load of .. so's to me too. The Admin department is not to blame though, they simply report what HQ's policy says. I might have to ask the higher ups directly to see if they can allow it.

You need the support of your company. I was lucky as I worked for a small company at the time I applied, and one of the owners was a PR holder herself.

A big corporation may be reluctant to give you their tax receipts and other internal documents, and they have no obligation to. Sweet-talking will be required... Good luck!

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 8:28 AM, onthemoon said:

You need the support of your company. I was lucky as I worked for a small company at the time I applied, and one of the owners was a PR holder herself.

A big corporation may be reluctant to give you their tax receipts and other internal documents, and they have no obligation to. Sweet-talking will be required... Good luck!

It tells you something about the personality and culture of your employer, if they refuse to help foreign employees apply for PR, knowing this is very important to them. The company I worked for helped quite a few foreign employees apply for PR and citizenshp and never grumbled about it. 

Not Sure if it was posted already, but looks like the application window for this year is open.

Unfortunately, now news yet from my 2021 application, so i guess no news is good news. Or did anybody from the class of 2021 already receive any info r approval? Would be delighted to know or receive any news on it.

Thanks

Ant.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/notification-residential-permit-2022/

image.png.f4d6bc6c4a8ee551b781fe5571896cd7.png

Edited by anthonyT
Date of opening was not clear on first print screen
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Automatic immigration gates for PR holders at BKK airport

I have been told that at Suvarnnabhumi Airport the automatic passport check gates are now in service again for Thai nationals.
Previously PR holders were able to register to also use them. 

Any one knows if this possible again and what is required to do so?

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 7:08 AM, beeper said:

Automatic immigration gates for PR holders at BKK airport

I have been told that at Suvarnnabhumi Airport the automatic passport check gates are now in service again for Thai nationals.
Previously PR holders were able to register to also use them. 

Any one knows if this possible again and what is required to do so?

I just asked them. It is not possible yet for foreigners with PR to apply for autogate. He said they are waiting for an upgrade at the moment. He could not say how long it will take.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I did my first re-entry permit and endorsement in April 2022. I do not plan to leave Thailand until June 2023.

Should I do a new re-entry and endorsement before the current one expire? Or doing it after April / before I leave would be ok?

Thank you.

There is no requirement at all to renew it before the current exit/re-entry permit expires.

Let's put this subject in a different light; there's no legal need to have an exit/re-entry stamp in your passport and PR book until you need it.

Many PR holders (an example - those you travel infrequently) don't get the stamp, a single journey stamp, until just before they travel. That's how it's intended to work.

This means there could a time period of years / many years with no exit/re-entry stamps in your books. No problem whatever - this won't raise any concerns with immigration because it's the way it's intended to work.

The other possibility is that you travel out of Thailand and return many times every year (probably business trips - typically a foreigner who attends meetings/projects etc., regularly in many countries).  For folks in this situation it's better to get a multiple entry stamp which covers an unlimited number an out/in trips for 12 months starting from the day the stamp is placed in your books.

If you have a multiple entry stamp there's no need to advise immigration in advance for every trip. You use it any date you want but it expires after 12 months.

So a question: when do I have to renew my multiple entry stamp if I wish to continue with another multiple entry stamp? 

Answer: Totally up to you:

• You can renew it any time before the currrent multiple entry stamp expires, but there is no requirement whatever to do this. 
  • You can renew it anytime in the future. Many PR holders in this situation just wait until the next out/in trip comes up and then go to an immigration office and get a new multiple entry stamp. Or perhaps they revert to single entry exit/re-entry stamps. The just wait period could be a few days or a few years. 

You can find many PR holders who haven't had an exit/re-entry stamp in their books for years/many years because they haevn't travelled, and that's all OK, no concern whatever. 

I had multiple entry stamps in my books for years. I'm now retired and I have no family whatever left in my birth country. There's a good chance I'll never ever again have a need to have an exit/re-entry stamp in my books. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by scorecard
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Naiyana said:

Hello all,

I did my first re-entry permit and endorsement in April 2022. I do not plan to leave Thailand until June 2023.

Should I do a new re-entry and endorsement before the current one expire? Or doing it after April / before I leave would be ok?

Thank you.

Scorecard has answered your question in detail. Basically depends on frequency of travel and need to to travel urgently. I have always obtained multiple before expiry of current as pre Covid I was leaving Thailand up to 50 times a year, this year after a lull it is back up to 20 times a year.

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

There is no requirement at all to renew it before the current exit/re-entry permit expires.

Let's put this subject in a different light; there's no legal need to have an exit/re-entry stamp in your passport and PR book until you need it.

Many PR holders (an example - those you travel infrequently) don't get the stamp, a single journey stamp, until just before they travel. That's how it's intended to work.

This means there could a time period of years / many years with no exit/re-entry stamps in your books. No problem whatever - this won't raise any concerns with immigration because it's the way it's intended to work.

The other possibility is that you travel out of Thailand and return many times every year (probably business trips - typically a foreigner who attends meetings/projects etc., regularly in many countries).  For folks in this situation it's better to get a multiple entry stamp which covers an unlimited number an out/in trips for 12 months starting from the day the stamp is placed in your books.

If you have a multiple entry stamp there's no need to advise immigration in advance for every trip. You use it any date you want but it expires after 12 months.

So a question: when do I have to renew my multiple entry stamp if I wish to continue with another multiple entry stamp? 

Answer: Totally up to you:

• You can renew it any time before the currrent multiple entry stamp expires, but there is no requirement whatever to do this. 
  • You can renew it anytime in the future. Many PR holders in this situation just wait until the next out/in trip comes up and then go to an immigration office and get a new multiple entry stamp. Or perhaps they revert to single entry exit/re-entry stamps. The just wait period could be a few days or a few years. 

You can find many PR holders who haven't had an exit/re-entry stamp in their books for years/many years because they haevn't travelled, and that's all OK, no concern whatever. 

I had multiple entry stamps in my books for years. I'm now retired and I have no family whatever left in my birth country. There's a good chance I'll never ever again have a need to have an exit/re-entry stamp in my books. 

Hope this helps.

Good advice. I am one of those who travel out of the country at least once a month, so I have a multiple-entry anyway.

However, even if a trip weren't planned, I'd feel better with the re-entry in the passport. The reason is that I have family overseas and you never know when you get a call on Friday afternoon that you have to jump on a plane the next day. Sometimes business can require very urgent trips too. 

• Love It 1

Thank you Scorecard, rimmae2 and onthemoon for the clarification - no such thing as 'renewal', I need to do them only when it is needed. Good to know, I will do mine just before my next trip. I may do like onthemove - I have my elderly parents back home. Thank you all.

2 hours ago, Naiyana said:

Thank you Scorecard, rimmae2 and onthemoon for the clarification - no such thing as 'renewal', I need to do them only when it is needed. Good to know, I will do mine just before my next trip. I may do like onthemove - I have my elderly parents back home. Thank you all.

One other point to mention, but maybe you already know this one:

- There's many visas that also need exit/re-entry stamps, and these folks can get an exit/re-entry stamp at major airports at the same time they are actually departing Thailand. There's a specific desk for this usually within a few steps of the actual passport booths.

- PR holders can't get an exit/re-entry stamp at an airport. It must be obtained at an Immigration office. E,g, Chang Wattana, Chiang Mai, Chonburi etc., before you go to the airport.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I live in Surat Thani province where PR holders are almost non-existent. I’m going to buy a secondhand scooter and Residence Certificate is needed. But the thing is my official address is in Bangkok. I wonder:

1) As a PR holder, do we need the Residence Certificate? Or PR book / Pink card would be sufficient?

2) I wonder if the immigration here would issue the Residence Certificate for me since my address is in Bangkok?

Thank you ????????

On 11/23/2022 at 9:04 PM, onthemoon said:

I just asked them. It is not possible yet for foreigners with PR to apply for autogate. He said they are waiting for an upgrade at the moment. He could not say how long it will take.

I asked on 19 Dec 2022 at the Suvarnabhumi immigration counter where applications for autogate privileges for PR holders were made in the past. It is not yet available and it was not known when it would be re-instated.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Naiyana said:

Hello all,

I live in Surat Thani province where PR holders are almost non-existent. I’m going to buy a secondhand scooter and Residence Certificate is needed. But the thing is my official address is in Bangkok. I wonder:

1) As a PR holder, do we need the Residence Certificate? Or PR book / Pink card would be sufficient?

2) I wonder if the immigration here would issue the Residence Certificate for me since my address is in Bangkok?

Thank you ????????

When I have purchased vehicles I only needed my PR book. That was before I got my pink card. A passport was not needed. I have never got a residence certificate for anything. 

20 hours ago, Naiyana said:

Hello all,

I live in Surat Thani province where PR holders are almost non-existent. I’m going to buy a secondhand scooter and Residence Certificate is needed. But the thing is my official address is in Bangkok.

Thank you ????????

Why have you not notified your local police station of your change of address? As it is written in your red police book, under "Caution......

Win ????

9 hours ago, Kan Win said:

Why have you not notified your local police station of your change of address? As it is written in your red police book, under "Caution......

Win ????

Agree, the regulations say must notify change of addrees 1n 10 / 14 days, not sure which.

Also, it's possible the new address comes under the juristiction (for PR holders) of a different police station.

In this case the PR holder must report to the 'old' police station and tell them he's moved/moving and the old police station prepares some appropriate documents and puts it in a sealed envelope, gives that to the PR holder who has a deadline time to hand the unopened envelope to the appropriate office at the new police station.

At new station they will bring the PR into their district records, place a new photo (provided by the PR holder) into the pages where each 5 year/new photo is recorded in the RED book. 

Failure to do all this can mean fines. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I read through the last few pages and can't find an answer...

Is there any way for PR holders to use the Thai nationality line when entering/exiting at Suvarnabhumi Airport? Last time I tried to go into the Thai line exiting the country and the lady manning the lines said only Thai passports can be used for the machine  (and reading here it seems PR hasn't been added to these new machines). But is there any of the old fashioned stations with an officer stamping either at the entry/exit points in the Thai line at BKK like at DMK?

Thanks

Edited by ctsm23

33 minutes ago, ctsm23 said:

I read through the last few pages and can't find an answer...

Is there any way for PR holders to use the Thai nationality line when entering/exiting at Suvarnabhumi Airport? Last time I tried to go into the Thai line exiting the country and the lady manning the lines said only Thai passports can be used for the machine  (and reading here it seems PR hasn't been added to these new machines). But is there any of the old fashioned stations with an officer stamping either at the entry/exit points in the Thai line at BKK like at DMK?

Thanks

There used to be a manned counter next to the electronic gates for Thai citizens who failed to get through the e-gates or were unwilling to try. Not sure if they have that desk again now. Hopefully the new e-gates are more efficient and reject less people. 

They made a big fanfare a few years ago about letting citizens of some other countries use the e-gate, if they registered with Immigration. Not sure if they are bothering to revive this but they should, as it was supposed to be reciprocal.

Otherwise the only way might be to upgrade PR to citizenhip.

On 12/23/2022 at 10:16 AM, Kan Win said:

Win ????

I was fined 100 baht for changing address 3 months late as a PR.  Maybe the fine has gone up by now.  It is a bit of a rigmarole that will involve going to your original police station and district office in Bangkok first but you do need to do it.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Thanks 1