Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

Just now, Naiyana said:

Hello all,

Someone is telling me that I need to change my blue PR book to the white one after a year. Is it true? My understanding - I only need to do it when the blue book becomes full..

Thank you.

Your understanding is correct.  Use the blue book till full and then change it for a white one at your next endorsement process.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

I'm trying to think of any occasion I've had to show my Red Book other than the usual annual (or so) ritual at Immigration.The only one I can remember is when I had to apply for an international driving license.

I think I always submitted copies of the red book when renewing WPs and they were never rejected but perhaps weren't needed. I do remember specifically being asked for it when I applied for a new WP on changing jobs though. 

38 minutes ago, Naiyana said:

Hello all,

Someone is telling me that I need to change my blue PR book to the white one after a year. Is it true? My understanding - I only need to do it when the blue book becomes full..

Thank you.

When the original dark blue PRbook is is full of outgoin/incoming stamps (same as in your passport) you go to a bigger immigration office for it to be replaced and you get a white covered replacement PR book, and white again if needed to be replaced again (when full) in the future.

Replace at one year or at five years etc., is not correct. 

Hello  , 

I have two questions, could anyone reply me? 

- if the PR approve letter is sent, they will send to the address of office or to home?  Will they call to inform in advance? If not, what if the letter got lost?

- I saw on some post saying that the receiver needs to report back to Immigration within 7 days of receiving the letter. But if at that time, i am travelling outside of the country and could not come back on time , will that lead to cancellation of the PR? 

Thank you for answering

58 minutes ago, JS82 said:

Hello  , 

- if the PR approve letter is sent, they will send to the address of office or to home?  Will they call to inform in advance? If not, what if the letter got lost?

- I saw on some post saying that the receiver needs to report back to Immigration within 7 days of receiving the letter. But if at that time, i am travelling outside of the country and could not come back on time , will that lead to cancellation of the PR? 

Thank you for answering

1.   "...  if the PR approve letter is sent, they will send to the address of office or to home?..."

Do you have 2 addresses recorded on your PR file with the PR folks? How's that?

2.   I received PR 25 years ago, the approval leter did state, 'must present self and approval letter to Room No: XX at main Immigration Office at Soi Suan Phlu within 7 days'.  That's 25 years ago. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JS82 said:

@scorecard actually i donot remember which address i left on file when i applied PR, i believe immigration should have both addresses of mine.

You should contact Immigration and find out which address the letter will be sent to especially if you are expecting it soon.

In my case I was overseas on business when the letter was sent and received. Letter stated 'within 7 days' but actually I went to Immigration between 14 and 21 days after notifying Immigration that I could not attend with 7 days. it was not a problem, but this was 7-8 years ago and for a short delay.

29 minutes ago, rimmae2 said:

You should contact Immigration and find out which address the letter will be sent to especially if you are expecting it soon.

In my case I was overseas on business when the letter was sent and received. Letter stated 'within 7 days' but actually I went to Immigration between 14 and 21 days after notifying Immigration that I could not attend with 7 days. it was not a problem, but this was 7-8 years ago and for a short delay.

As rimmae posted: 

"You should contact Immigration and find out which address the letter will be sent to especially if you are expecting it soon."

Immigration may have been advised 2 or more addresses (by you) throughout processing of your PR application however I suspect (could be wrong) they will have one address, the most recent you have specifically advised them, which they now recognize as your address for all purposes. Previous addresses nothing more than historical and not active records.  

I rather doubt they (Immigration) will be analysing several addresses at various steps and decising which one to use for different purposes. 

Reality is that for the vast majority of applicants (99.9% of applicants) the only mail contact will be the approval letter.

Perhaps you should call that office and check what address they have as your current address. 

Edited by scorecard

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 4:16 PM, thedemon said:

Does anyone know how early the 5 yearly renewal of the red book can be done? Can it be done several months before expiry?

In case anyone else has this question I can answer it now.

I just renewed 9 months early and it was no problem so now it is valid for 5 years, 9 months from today.

I guess it can be renewed up to 12 months early which would explain the 1 + 5 years that you can get on first issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 3:38 PM, thedemon said:

In case anyone else has this question I can answer it now.

I just renewed 9 months early and it was no problem so now it is valid for 5 years, 9 months from today.

I guess it can be renewed up to 12 months early which would explain the 1 + 5 years that you can get on first issue.

Probably different at every police station which handles this.

When my last 5 year renewal was due I couldn't get to to LOS from Australia.  I was golding the RED book in Australia.

My Thai son went to see the very pleasant cop who handles this at the main Chiang Mai station and explained. Cop instantly said 'this is not a big problem, I suggest:

• - Ask your father to mail to RED book to you, registered mail.
  • - Don't be concerned how long it takes to arrive here in CM.
  • - When it does arrive bring the book in and i'll complete the details for a 5 yr renewal, pay the fee  and I'll give you receipt. DON't bring a photo, I need to see the photo and the person before we use it.
  • - The new photo can wait until your father returns to CM, but come in quickly and well add the new photo.
  • -12 months later son went back to see the appropriate cop, who instantly said 'don't be worried it can wait until he returns and I realize right now that's complicated'.

- 16 months later I did return to CM when the Covid- 19 'Pass' became easier.

- Next day we went the police station.

- Son opened the door and walked in followed by me.

-The cop came over to the door quickly waied and shook my hand.

- Cop said with a big smile 'ahh my professsor you come home'. Meanwhile he had his hand on my son's shoulder.

- Ten minutes later we departed the office, new photo pasted in and a small note written on the receipt.

2 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

Those that applied for PR in Dec‘21 (and had their Thai language interview in Apr‘22): 

Has anyone of you heard anything back yet? Just wanna make sure I’m not the only one who’s still waiting for response. 

Hi Cocoonclub,

I am from the same class as you and was thinking of dropping a similar message as did not hear anything either.

Did though, receive on the day of my 1st extension, 3 of the same forms for future extensions of our "under review visa" for the next visits. So it sounded like an 1 year and half minimum, before hearing anything.

Ant.

On 2/1/2023 at 5:07 PM, anthonyT said:

Hi Cocoonclub,

I am from the same class as you and was thinking of dropping a similar message as did not hear anything either.

Did though, receive on the day of my 1st extension, 3 of the same forms for future extensions of our "under review visa" for the next visits. So it sounded like an 1 year and half minimum, before hearing anything.

Ant.

Thanks, that’s good to know. My next extension is coming up soon so let me see what happens there. 

Hi all,

I hold Permanent Residency, and am buying a condo in Thonburi (near Pho Nimit BTS station). One benefit of PR is that you don't have to show money coming from abroad when purchasing a condo, however when I purchased a condo in Cha am, the land and house dept insisted I show the money had come from abroad and ignored my PR saying it didn't matter. Luckily I had transferred money already and used the correct form from the bank to avoid further hassle. 

This time however I don't have funds to transfer from abroad, and want to actually use PR status to buy the condo without showing funds from abroad. 

My question is this: Has anyone had experience as a PR buying a condo in this area (near Pho Nimit BTS station), and did they come up against any nonsense regarding showing money coming from abroad? In other words will they play by the PR rules? And if not, is there a form (in Thai) that I could show the land and house dept. if they refuse to play by the rules of PR? Or any other advice to get around this problem?

Also I can't find where the department is for this area. Anyone have any idea, or how to contact them?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

P.S. Not buying the condo is not an option.

14 minutes ago, Kayahammer said:

Hi all,

I hold Permanent Residency, and am buying a condo in Thonburi (near Pho Nimit BTS station). One benefit of PR is that you don't have to show money coming from abroad when purchasing a condo, however when I purchased a condo in Cha am, the land and house dept insisted I show the money had come from abroad and ignored my PR saying it didn't matter. Luckily I had transferred money already and used the correct form from the bank to avoid further hassle. 

This time however I don't have funds to transfer from abroad, and want to actually use PR status to buy the condo without showing funds from abroad. 

My question is this: Has anyone had experience as a PR buying a condo in this area (near Pho Nimit BTS station), and did they come up against any nonsense regarding showing money coming from abroad? In other words will they play by the PR rules? And if not, is there a form (in Thai) that I could show the land and house dept. if they refuse to play by the rules of PR? Or any other advice to get around this problem?

Also I can't find where the department is for this area. Anyone have any idea, or how to contact them?

It can work.

I've had Thai PR for over 25 years. At about year 15 of holding PR I bought a condo on Petchaburi Road (near Pantip Plaza) in Bkk, I used cash in a K Bank account.

Among other documents we showed my PR book and police registration RED book at the Land Titles office, they proceeded with no further discussion or requirements to change the name on the back of the chanut to my name.

But as well known some LTO offices (and other gov't agencies) have different attitudes to such matters.

Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Kayahammer said:

Hi all,

The right of a foreigner with PR to buy a condo without bringing the funds in from abroad is written into the Condominium Act of 1979.

Attached is an English translation. Chapter 2, Section 19 contains the relevant clause.

Condominium_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

Edited by thedemon
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad it went smoothly for you back then. I am considering emailing immigration and asking for an official letter explaining the PR rights, complete with a contact number for any official who doesn't know. It's such a pain that some government agencies either don't know, or don't want to know.

Thanks for your reply

4 minutes ago, thedemon said:

The right of a foreigner with PR to buy a condo without bringing the funds in from abroad is written into the Condominium Act of 1979.

Attached is an English translation. Chapter 2, Section 19 contains the relevant clause.

Condominium_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf 986.59 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks so much for this. Do you know where I could find a Thai version of this to show at the land department if need be?

19 hours ago, Kayahammer said:

Hi all,

Not in your area, but I bought condos in Bangkok and Pattaya and did not get the money from abroad. In fact, I got a local bank loan. So you are definitely right. 

Just giving you moral support. Others will pitch in with the relevant law or regulation.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

The broker sent all my relevant documents to the land department yesterday, yet they insist I have to show money coming from abroad. It's infuriating beyond belief. He even asked three different ways yet they are adamant.

I have thought about visiting immigration to ask for a letter (with contact number) listing the benefits when holding PR. Not sure how well that would go down though.

I have gotten one quote by a property lawyer, but I am reluctant to pay 30,000 Bhat just to prove something the land officer should already know, or at least try to find out.

Does anyone know of any cheaper property lawyers?

Or any other advice as to how to proceed?

All replies much appreciated

8 hours ago, Kayahammer said:

Thanks for all the replies so far.

The broker sent all my relevant documents to the land department yesterday, yet they insist I have to show money coming from abroad. It's infuriating beyond belief. He even asked three different ways yet they are adamant.

I have thought about visiting immigration to ask for a letter (with contact number) listing the benefits when holding PR. Not sure how well that would go down though.

I have gotten one quote by a property lawyer, but I am reluctant to pay 30,000 Bhat just to prove something the land officer should already know, or at least try to find out.

Does anyone know of any cheaper property lawyers?

Or any other advice as to how to proceed?

All replies much appreciated

Start dropping hints that if they don't following the rules you'll forward the issue to the Administrative Court. 

• 2 weeks later...

it’s seems the authorities are going ahead to implement by June the much discussed tourism tax of 300 THB for arrival by airplane (lower fees for arrival by sea and land)

details on how this’ll be collected have been conspicuously absent.

with regards to who will be exempt of paying this :Thai nationals, foreigners with diplomatic passports and those holding Thai work permits. No word so far how PR holders will be treated, especially those that do not hold a work permit

obviously by definition PR holders are not tourists, but the question if the authorities will take the same decision …

any news you have on this please share

https://www.thailandelitevisas.com/news-events-post/tourist-tax-takes-effect-in-2023/

16 minutes ago, beeper said:

it’s seems the authorities are going ahead to implement by June the much discussed tourism tax of 300 THB for arrival by airplane (lower fees for arrival by sea and land)

with regards to who will be exempt of paying this :Thai nationals, foreigners with diplomatic passports and those holding Thai work permits. No word so far how PR holders will be treated, especially those that do not hold a work permit

obviously by definition PR holders are not tourists, but the question if the authorities will take the same decision …

https://www.thailandelitevisas.com/news-events-post/tourist-tax-takes-effect-in-2023/

In a previous report, perhaps 2 oor 3 months ago PR holders wre mentionas as exempt from this charge.

How does that work, well it's been said that it will be includes in ticket costs so I guees the traveller will be able to click on something on the booking site to gain exemption???

1 hour ago, beeper said:

One would expect them to get around to exempting PRs at some point but it might not be in the first round.

On 1/9/2023 at 4:51 PM, Naiyana said:

Hello all,

Thank you.

When dark blue book is full. Time expired using dark blue book is not a factor.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 10:21 AM, JS82 said:

Hello  , 

Thank you for answering

The officer who was in charge called me. There was no such thing as a letter. I went to CW more than a month after I got the news of my approval. It was last year. That 7 day thing is for the Alien book at the police station after the PR book.

Edited by Naiyana

On 4/15/2022 at 12:15 PM, MRtommyR said:

Have any PR holders any experience of registering on a tabien baan in Phra Khanong district in Bangkok?

I got my approval in February and I already have a yellow tabien baan from Phra Khanong but am having difficulty getting them to allow me to transfer into the blue one.

Firstly they asked for a lot of irrelevant documents, which I nevertheless provided (work permit, marriage certificate, child's birth certificate) and then they questioned the authenticity of the of my residence certificate and alien registration book. They said they would need to confirm with Immigration and the police.

It's been two months now and when I follow up they just say they don't get any reply and I should keep waiting.

It's exasperating

Hello Sir, 

How did it go afterwards? 

I am now in the stage of entering my name into friend's tabien baan. The whole PR process is like jumping through hoops. 

At the district office, the handling guy told that he needed to confirm with immigration and police, then he will ask me back for an interview later(donot know when...).  And I had to leave with uncertainty. I hope it will not be too long for them to come back to me.