Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

3 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I can't imagine that the steps you've listed above are correct unless they've changed radically.

To answer your questions:

There is no additional Thai interview at the district office. At least not one upon which your PR status depends. You just need to get registered in the blue tabien baan.

No. You will only need to check in at your local police station to get your red police book signed every five years. Initially, you may only be granted a one-year validity in your red police book and after that it is every five years.

You will need to be added to the tabien baan of your new residence after you move and you will need to notify the new local police station of your move so they can update your red police book. I do not know if one is still required to remove oneself from the old tabien baan and take the removal document to the new district office. I think I had to about twenty years ago when I moved, but I'm not sure. The procedure may have changed, too.

No visits to the district office or local police station are required for the endorsement and non-quota immigrant visa. Just keep your red police book up-to-date as you'll be required to submit it.

Agreed.  "do not know if one is still required to remove oneself from the old tabien baan and take the removal document to the new district office. I think I had to about twenty years ago when I moved, but I'm not sure. The procedure may have changed, too" Yes, one has to still do this. I sold my house in 2014 and moved into a new house on the same road a month later. The old tabien baan stayed with the new owner. It belongs to the house. 

There is no need to notify the local police station of your move and new address unless one moves out of the province. I was told this in person yesterday at my local police station.

This morning I went to the Immigration office in Ubon Ratchathani to get a new TM 17 certificate of residence booklet. The blue one has finally filled up after 20 years. I left all my documents with them, paid 1,902 baht and they will ring me in 2-3 days time to come in and get the new white book. 

54 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

I guess it is as so often with the authorities here and will depend on how each officer interprets things. The instruction letter I received from IB only states I would need to bring the red book for the endorsement and reentry permit, so technically they would never know if I fail to remove myself from/add myself to a tabian baan as long as I keep going to the police station every five years. Then others in this thread apparently were asked for the TB at the immigration. 

Anyway, thank you everyone for the information. 

Well yes, on many subjects there's the law and there's local interpretation, but any diffrence in interpreation and/or process would be quite small. 

Ultimately re the subject at hand all of the items must be kept up to date and yes for some purposes you might be asked to show some or all of the books involved. 

In other words:

- Ensure your PR book has room for more immigration departure and arrival stamps, and get it replaced at an Immigration office when it's full and ensure you have a single entry or double entry Exiti/Re-entry stamp as needed (in your PR book and in your passport).

- Ensure you do the one year then 5 year RED Police Registration update.

- Ensure you without delay remove yourself from your current Tabien Bann book and get your name entered into another Tabien Bann book when you change location.

Overall these items are far from difficult and don't take long and are not subject to investigation etc. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

Agreed.  "do not know if one is still required to remove oneself from the old tabien baan and take the removal document to the new district office. I think I had to about twenty years ago when I moved, but I'm not sure. The procedure may have changed, too" Yes, one has to still do this. I sold my house in 2014 and moved into a new house on the same road a month later. The old tabien baan stayed with the new owner. It belongs to the house. 

There is no need to notify the local police station of your move and new address unless one moves out of the province. I was told this in person yesterday at my local police station.

This morning I went to the Immigration office in Ubon Ratchathani to get a new TM 17 certificate of residence booklet. The blue one has finally filled up after 20 years. I left all my documents with them, paid 1,902 baht and they will ring me in 2-3 days time to come in and get the new white book. 

Some years back my Thai adult son went into the main amphur office in Chonburi City to ask them what he should do re the TB book because the whole family about to move permenantly to Chiang Mai city.

Supervisor came quickly, pleasant conversation, supvr. said:

- We will remove all your names (6 people in total) and give you a print out to take to the main amphur office in Chiang Mai.

- Son mentioned we have bought land in a new Moo Baan, house won't be completed for about 1 year, andchange of ownership on the chanut planned for about 6 months into the build.

- Chon. City supvr. OK, no problem, when you get the chanut for your new poperty the Land office will give you a new TB book. I suggest you take this printout with you and go direct to the CM big amphr office and ask them to put all your names on the print out into the new TB book.

- Son did as above. Having the print out from Chonburi City helped and son had taken photo copies of all the pages of the old Chonburi City TB book before the names were removed which h gave to the CM folks. CM office mentioned 'your well prepared, give us 30 minutes and all done'. 

- We had some food, went back to CM amphur office, new completed TB book all ready. CM Amphur supvr. asked my son to check all the entries, all correct. 

Edited by scorecard

39 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

Other provinces may be different but it is definitely necessary report a move to a different police precint in Bangkok.  I was fined a token amount for not doing this late once. You need to change your tabien baan first.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Other provinces may be different but it is definitely necessary report a move to a different police precint in Bangkok.  I was fined a token amount for not doing this late once. You need to change your tabien baan first.

Only one police precint in Ubon city. I am in the same police precint. I have a feeling that only the police precint in Ubon city handles PR for the whole Ubon province. My new address is not written in the red book. The police said this is not necessary. I got my new tabien baan within days of moving into my new house. Also the pink ID card. 

36 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Yes.

When I moved within Bangkok, I had to take my police book to the police station in the district to which I had moved and have my new address recorded.  This was made clear to me at the time.

2 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

Only one police precint in Ubon city. I am in the same police precint. I have a feeling that only the police precint in Ubon city handles PR for the whole Ubon province. My new address is not written in the red book. The police said this is not necessary. I got my new tabien baan within days of moving into my new house. Also the pink ID card. 

Makes sense if there it is only the provincial police HQ in Ubon that can handle PR registrations. There may be other provinces with more foreigners apart from Bangkok that have more than one police station that can handle registrations, e.g. Chonburi, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Prachuab. In Chonburi most of the foreigners reside in Pattaya and in Prachuab most are in Hua HIn.

AFAIK Bangkok has an alien registrations officer in every police precint, although many must have virtually nothing to do. No idea about the surrounding provinces that are effectively extensions of Bangkok and have a lot of foreigners living there but working in Bangkok.

On 3/22/2023 at 2:11 PM, Michael Hare said:

Yesterday at 9:30 am I applied for a new TM17 certificate of residence (white book) at Ubon Ratchathani Immigration. Submitted all my documents and photos. I was rung up by Immigration at 1 pm today to say that everything was completed and to come in and collect the new book. I was impressed. Very quick service. I was expecting at least 2-3 days. The new white book on the front cover states it is a Duplicate of Certificate of Residence. 

Yesterday at 9:30 am I applied for a new TM17 certificate of residence (white book) at Ubon Ratchathani Immigration. Submitted all my documents and photos. I was rung up by Immigration at 1 pm today to say that everything was completed and to come in and collect the new book. I was impressed. Very quick service. I was expecting at least 2-3 days. The new white book on the front cover states it is a Duplicate of Certificate of Residence. 

The same small section at Chaeng Wattana complex (2 officers) takes 4 woring days to copy the details from old book to new book (all details are in their database). 

Both ladies are basically polite but not inclined towards answering even simple questions about the re-issue of the Certificate of Residence book. 

The last time I went (in my wheel chair) I got to their cubicle about 11:10am. This was just to submit the old book, and the rest of the books/documents.

No hello or greeting (both ladies speak advanced English), just "You've been here before you should know to come early so you don't disturb the officers' lunch break" And I was told to come back after lunch. 

I did that and was reminded "Next time don't forget to come early".

I went back 4 working days later. During the pick up process you have to put your finger print and signature in their giant ledger book.

The book was close to the lady and not near where I was sitting in my wheel chair, I politely asked the office if she could please move the book a little closer to me. I got a horified look and she said "Move your wheel chair to the side of my desk" which I did. 

Edited by scorecard

3 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

My experience at Chaeng Wattana and Soi Suan Plu before that was that it always took 3-4 days to get a new white book in Bangkok.  Worth knowing that you need to get this done in advance, if going on a trip.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2023 at 2:32 PM, scorecard said:

Well yes, on many subjects there's the law and there's local interpretation, but any diffrence in interpreation and/or process would be quite small. 

Ultimately re the subject at hand all of the items must be kept up to date and yes for some purposes you might be asked to show some or all of the books involved. 

In other words:

- Ensure your PR book has room for more immigration departure and arrival stamps, and get it replaced at an Immigration office when it's full and ensure you have a single entry or double entry Exiti/Re-entry stamp as needed (in your PR book and in your passport).

- Ensure you without delay remove yourself from your current Tabien Bann book and get your name entered into another Tabien Bann book when you change location.

Overall these items are far from difficult and don't take long and are not subject to investigation etc. 

Need to do something with the alien book after 1 year? ????

14 hours ago, scorecard said:

The same small section at Chaeng Wattana complex (2 officers) takes 4 woring days to copy the details from old book to new book (all details are in their database). 

Both ladies are basically polite but not inclined towards answering even simple questions about the re-issue of the Certificate of Residence book. 

The last time I went (in my wheel chair) I got to their cubicle about 11:10am. This was just to submit the old book, and the rest of the books/documents.

No hello or greeting (both ladies speak advanced English), just "You've been here before you should know to come early so you don't disturb the officers' lunch break" And I was told to come back after lunch. 

I did that and was reminded "Next time don't forget to come early".

I went back 4 working days later. During the pick up process you have to put your finger print and signature in their giant ledger book.

The book was close to the lady and not near where I was sitting in my wheel chair, I politely asked the office if she could please move the book a little closer to me. I got a horified look and she said "Move your wheel chair to the side of my desk" which I did. 

I am glad I am not living in Bangkok. No fingerprints were necessary in Ubon. Only needed 2 photographs, but I had another one taken by their camera to put into their computer files. I doubt if I will ever need another book, because it took nearly 20 years to fill up the blue book and in 20 years time I will be in mid 90s! 

I am glad I am not living in Bangkok. No fingerprints were necessary in Ubon. Only needed 2 photographs, but I had another one taken by their camera to put into their computer files. I doubt if I will ever need another book, because it took nearly 20 years to fill up the blue book and in 20 years time I will be in mid 90s! 

At least 100 for you. 

My Blue PR book is full with a still valid endorsement/re-entry permit that expires on October 4 2023—about 5 months from now.

I have an ailing family member back in my home country and would like to have the ability to travel as quickly as I can.

If I do need to leave on short notice, it’s possible that I may need to be abroad for a while, so I would want new one year stamps prior to departing.

I would like to avoid spending several days getting the White PR book if I need to travel at short notice.

So I would like to request a White PR book now – but not a new endorsement/re-entry permit, given that I still have about 5 months left in the current Blue PR book.

I’m not sure if this would be possible. Does the new White PR book automatically cancel the Blue PR book and the still valid stamps?

Would I be able to get the White PR book and have this ready to go when I need it?

I realize this may be best addressed to the ladies at the PR desk in CW, but I thought I would look for feedback here first.

2 hours ago, Bubbha said:

My Blue PR book is full with a still valid endorsement/re-entry permit that expires on October 4 2023—about 5 months from now.

I have an ailing family member back in my home country and would like to have the ability to travel as quickly as I can.

If I do need to leave on short notice, it’s possible that I may need to be abroad for a while, so I would want new one year stamps prior to departing.

I would like to avoid spending several days getting the White PR book if I need to travel at short notice.

So I would like to request a White PR book now – but not a new endorsement/re-entry permit, given that I still have about 5 months left in the current Blue PR book.

I’m not sure if this would be possible. Does the new White PR book automatically cancel the Blue PR book and the still valid stamps?

Would I be able to get the White PR book and have this ready to go when I need it?

I realize this may be best addressed to the ladies at the PR desk in CW, but I thought I would look for feedback here first.

Many questions given your circumstances.

I can give you a specific answer one one point which may also give you more answers;

- I got PR 27 years ago.

- Initially the standard dark blue cover PR book, I filled that and it was replced by a white cover book and now on my third white cover PR book.

### Every time I had to get the book re-issued the immigration staff kept the full book. 

(The first time the book was replaced I asked "Can I keep the full book?"  Answer "NO".)

The exit/re-entry stamps., were they transferred to the new book? Sorry I don't remember on this point.

You could e.mai Immigration and ask your questions (in English):

[email protected]

They respond in English with clear answers. Usually with about 3 to 10 days.

They don't bite. 

Edited by scorecard

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Many questions given your circumstances.

I can give you a specific answer one one point which may also give you more answers;

- I got PR 27 years ago.

- Initially the standard dark blue cover PR book, I filled that and it was replced by a white cover book and now on my third white cover PR book.

### Every time I had to get the book re-issued the immigration staff kept the full book. 

(The first time the book was replaced I asked "Can I keep the full book?"  Answer "NO".)

The exit/re-entry stamps., were they transferred to the new book? Sorry I don't remember on this point.

You could e.mai Immigration and ask your questions (in English):

[email protected]

They respond in English with clear answers. Usually with about 3 to 10 days.

They don't bite. 

Yesterday at Ubon Immigration when I collected my new white book, the old blue book was returned to me. 

9 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

Yesterday at Ubon Immigration when I collected my new white book, the old blue book was returned to me. 

So, as usual different approach / process at different immigration offices.

Perhaps the OP should go to the local Immigration office he/she uses and ask these questions.

Are they approachable?  There's no reason why they wouldn't be. 

Edited by scorecard

2 hours ago, Bubbha said:

I think they will make you get a new endorsement for a new white book and cancel the previous one. The only way to find out is to ask them, as this would be an unusual case.  Most people apply for a new white book only when they want a new endorsement. I Bangkok I never got the previous books back.

Is there any law/regulation stating that PR holders don’t need to do the 90 days reporting?

I received my usual notification from HR that my 90 days reporting is due. Normally they collect my passport, do it online and then return the passport within a couple of days. After telling them that I have recently been granted PR they now say they need to do the 90 days reporting at Chaengwatthana and need my passport, my PR book and my red book for it. I don’t have a problem giving all that to them, I am just surprised because I thought PR holders don’t need to do 90 days reporting anymore. 

I've had PR for 27 years, never once did 9 day reporing. And never heard of

any other PR holders doing 90 day reports.

Many of the Imm. folks at Chaeng Wattana have little to zero knowlegde of PR or the processes, requirements after PR is approved etc.

49 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Is there any law/regulation stating that PR holders don’t need to do the 90 days reporting?

I received my usual notification from HR that my 90 days reporting is due. Normally they collect my passport, do it online and then return the passport within a couple of days. After telling them that I have recently been granted PR they now say they need to do the 90 days reporting at Chaengwatthana and need my passport, my PR book and my red book for it. I don’t have a problem giving all that to them, I am just surprised because I thought PR holders don’t need to do 90 days reporting anymore. 

Definitely 90 day reporting is only for temporary visa holders, not PRs.  Here is a reference from Trat Immigration that popped up first in my search and I am sure you can find a better one in Thai to show you HR department. https://www.tratimmigration.com/90-day-reporting/#:~:text=Any foreigner who has received,to be considered on time.

For heaven's sake don't give them your docs to do a 90 day report.  At best it will cause confusion and annoyance at Immigration.  At worst it might cause real problems for your PR status, if they succeed in actually doing the 90 day report for you and somehow dump you back into temporary visa status.  You would have thought HR people could do a simple google search themselves but they seem not to be sharpest tools in the shed at most Thai companies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2023 at 7:52 PM, cocoonclub said:

FYI, I received a call from my IB officer that my application was successful and that I can make an appointment to pay the 192k fee and pick up the PR book. It seems other applicants also received a call as she mentioned that the slots to pick up the PR book for next week are filling up. 

Thanks for letting me know Cocoonclub. My wife did get the call yesterday from the immigration officer also for my approval. So looks like there can be some weeks in between for all applicants being processed. Luckily no rush to go and collect the resident permit, as i am flying to my home country for 3 weeks and it can be done after this, i got informed.

As an aside to my above approval for my resident permit, would anyone know if i need an approval letter of some sort, if i take my son alone with me to Europe to visit his grandparents? He is 5 years old and has dual Nationality. Any advise would be appreciated. I realize this might not be the correct forum to ask, but it seems like a very knowledge section on all things immigration related. 

Thank you!

Ant.

4 minutes ago, anthonyT said:

As an aside to my above approval for my resident permit, would anyone know if i need an approval letter of some sort, if i take my son alone with me to Europe to visit his grandparents? He is 5 years old and has dual Nationality. Any advise would be appreciated. I realize this might not be the correct forum to ask, but it seems like a very knowledge section on all things immigration related. 

Thank you!

Ant.

There are other threads on this exact subject with many helpful answers.  Please try to search for them, or ask a Mod.

7 minutes ago, anthonyT said:

Thank you!

Ant.

I don't think you need a letter of any sort. I traveled with my son when he was then 8 years old to my home country and needed no letters. He had both Thai and NZ passports. I presume his surname is the same as your surname?

Just now, Michael Hare said:

I don't think you need a letter of any sort. I traveled with my son when he was then 8 years old to my home country and needed no letters. He had both Thai and NZ passports. I presume his surname is the same as your surname?

Thank you very much for you reply.

yes, our surnames are the same in both his passports, so it would be the same situation then, so that is a relief. Appreciate your time to reply.

Ant.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

I've been away for a while (having Thai ID since 2020) but I would need some information for a friend, so I'll be happy to catch up on the information regarding PR. I see some Guru names that I remember well in the page... Arkady, Scorecard... still there, congrats, mates ! I hope you're all fine. 

Can someone remind me or confirm that PR door still open in the last months of the year, that male foreigners married to Thai wife can apply on the basis of marriage after just one year of marriage (or three?) assuming they already have the 3-year WP and tax submission? and how long the process takes in the recent years (It took me 4 years in 2008-2012), is it 6-12 months as I could read recently somewhere? Finally is there any big change in the process or requirements worth knowing in the recent years?

Thank you in advance!

On 3/22/2023 at 2:32 PM, scorecard said:

In other words:

"Overall these items are far from difficult and don't take long and are not subject to investigation etc. "

Well said!

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Hello guys,

I've been away for a while (having Thai ID since 2020) but I would need some information for a friend, so I'll be happy to catch up on the information regarding PR. I see some Guru names that I remember well in the page... Arkady, Scorecard... still there, congrats, mates ! I hope you're all fine. 

Can someone remind me or confirm that PR door still open in the last months of the year, that male foreigners married to Thai wife can apply on the basis of marriage after just one year of marriage (or three?) assuming they already have the 3-year WP and tax submission? and how long the process takes in the recent years (It took me 4 years in 2008-2012), is it 6-12 months as I could read recently somewhere? Finally is there any big change in the process or requirements worth knowing in the recent years?

Thank you in advance!

I was married for less than one year when I applied (successfully) for PR back in the 1990s. My application did reference the marriage and that my wife was expecting. Since Immigration followed up and asked for a copy of the birth certificate during the course of the review period, clearly the marriage and child did count for something.

Having said that, I don't believe that there is a category for PR that is based upon marriage to a Thai. The requirements are visa, tax and education for the most part. Being married to a Thai may help, but isn't the basis for PR.