Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

8 hours ago, Arkady said:

Things may have changed but what I recall from being a PR was that the tabian baan was not required to get the endorsements in the residence book and passport at CW, except when the residence book was filled up with exit and entry stamps and I had to get a new one.  This might never happen, if you only use e-gates at the airport. I am pretty sure the tabian baan was needed for renewal of the alien book at the police station, as they want verification that you reside in their precinct.

It is a legal requirement under the Civil Registration Act that you should have a tabian baan, as a Thai resident.  If your landlord removes you from his tabian baan and you don't transfer to another one, would that be notified to Immigration?  Given the lack of coordination between govt depts, that seems extremely unlikely. However, not having a tabian baan as PR is very unwise and could easily cause you problems. In the situation you can't get a landlord to put you on the tabian baan, I would advise trying to get on the tabian baan of a Thai friend.

The e-gates have been disabled for PR holders for many years now. My PR book is full every few years, I need a new passport on average every 2-3 years. I wish we could use e-gates again, I'd be the first one to use them.

4 hours ago, onthemoon said:

The e-gates have been disabled for PR holders for many years now. My PR book is full every few years, I need a new passport on average every 2-3 years. I wish we could use e-gates again, I'd be the first one to use them.

That really sucks.  They were disabled for Thai citizens for a few years years too during and after COVID.  I haven't travelled much recently but assumed they were back up and running for all.  I remember that they made a big thing pre-COVID of allowing non-residents of Thailand, who were frequent travellers to Thailand to register for the gates and there was some reciprocation. I think foreign WP holders were also allowed to register at that point.  But it seems they have totally ditched the expansion of the system beyond Thai citizens. There was a costly new system installed  that was alleged by Big Joke to be plagued with corruption and years late.  All for nought, it would seem.

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

That really sucks.  They were disabled for Thai citizens for a few years years too during and after COVID.  I haven't travelled much recently but assumed they were back up and running for all.  I remember that they made a big thing pre-COVID of allowing non-residents of Thailand, who were frequent travellers to Thailand to register for the gates and there was some reciprocation. I think foreign WP holders were also allowed to register at that point.  But it seems they have totally ditched the expansion of the system beyond Thai citizens. There was a costly new system installed  that was alleged by Big Joke to be plagued with corruption and years late.  All for nought, it would seem.

There was a big hooha in the news about foreigners being able to use the auto-gates when leaving, but that was limited to just a few country passports, I think Singapore was among them. I don't know whether that they works. I carry an EU passport, so no.