BANGKOK
camerata

Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

5 minutes ago, thedemon said:

To add to the above, you can get (buy) a new multi re-entry any time. You don't need to wait for it to expire.

Therefore if you were to visit Thailand e.g. 6-7 months after issuing your 12 month re-entry, you could get a new one to give you another 12 months from that date.

All true. Plenty / most PR holders get an exit/re-entry stamp (single of multiple) when they have planned travel out of Thailand, and when it expired just wait until they have a planned trip and then get the next exit/re-entry stamp.  And/or you can get it re-issued before the current stamp expires.

I did this just a few days ago, got a new multiple exit/re-entry stamp 3 months before the expiry of the current multiple entry. The immigration lady politely pointed out that the current stamp was good for another 3 months, then I explained the reason I wanted to a new multiple early and she instantly said 'ohh no problem'. 

• Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 6:36 PM, scorecard said:

explained to me at the PR interview (20+ yrs ago):

- You can be outside of Thailand in one block period of 364 days and you don't lose your PR.

- If you are outside of Thailand for 365 days or more it's gone and there is no review process.

Not difficult to achieve.

The exit/re-entry stamps don't have to align to any of the above, but overall must be kept valid. 

My last paragraph can be misinterpreted, so I will re-write that paragraph, as follows:

- The exit/re-entry stamps don't have to align to any of the above.

- Getting exit/re-entry stamps annually is NOT necessary. 

- You do need to have a valid exit/re-entry stamp every time you exit Thailand.

- If you have If you have a multiple entry stamp both your exit and return actual dates must be

within the single trip exit/re-entry dates, or within 1 year validity dates on the multiple

entry stamp.

- Many PR holders have mentioned before that they wait until they book a journey then they go

to an immigration office and get a single exit/re-entry stamp. In reality for many folks that

means they have not had a valid stamp for several or many years; until it's needed because

of a planned trip. Nothing at all wrong with this approach, all completely legal. 

- On the other hand for PR holders who exit / re-enter frequently it's more practical to get

a new multiple entry stamp (one year validity), either:

- Just after their current one year validity stamp has expired,

- Or just wait until the next trip comes up and then get a new one year multiple stamp.     Both approaches are legal in every way.

It's possible to get the exit/re-entry stamp at many airports:

- Check-in to get boarding pass, deposit check-in bags etc.

- Go through outwards security check

- Go to the exit/re-entry stamp desk just before the actual passport stamping desks and get       a new exit/re-entry stamp (need to check opening/closing time of this desk for the airport

you are using)

- Go to actual passport stamping queue. (Many PR holders have been informed by airport

immigration staff (self included) that immigration prefers PR holders to use the Thai

passport lines). 

• Like 1

To summarize. Always ensure you have a valid re-entry stamp when you leave the country that will still be valid on your return, even if you are unexpectedly delayed. It’s always possible to renew even months before the old stamp expires to give you enough time for a lengthy absence abroad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

To summarize. Always ensure you have a valid re-entry stamp when you leave the country that will still be valid on your return, even if you are unexpectedly delayed. It’s always possible to renew even months before the old stamp expires to give you enough time for a lengthy absence abroad.

True, I got a new multiple exit/re-entry 12 months validity stamp jut recently.  The polite immigration lady mentioned 'but you still have over 3 months remaining on your current 12 months stamp', I explained that I was departing Thailand in the very near future and it was lekley my return would be after the current stamp expired.

She instantly said 'ohh now I understand, no problem' and she issued a new stamp starting that same day. No hassle whatever. 

i may have missed something but is there any word on the application window for 2019 yet?

3 minutes ago, Arkady said:

i may have missed something but is there any word on the application window for 2019 yet?

Announced in late June. July 1st to December 31st (really December 27th due to holidays).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

It's possible to get the exit/re-entry stamp at many airports:

I have been under the impression that the re-entry endorsement to one's resident book, which is necessary in addition to the re-entry permit in one's passport, can only be obtained at the relevant immigration office, not the airport. I would be very pleased to be advised that my understanding is incorrect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I have been under the impression that the re-entry endorsement to one's resident book, which is necessary in addition to the re-entry permit in one's passport, can only be obtained at the relevant immigration office, not the airport. I would be very pleased to be advised that my understanding is incorrect.

That's not my understanding but I don't know about airports other than Bkk (DM) and Chiang Mai.

Further, I've never heard of the endorsement and the exit/re-entry process as separate activities, but as above I have no experience with other airports. 

If you need an answer on this point perhaps call the imm. police at your local airport and ask, or have a Thai person ask., or go to the airport and ask. 

4 hours ago, Arkady said:

I just googled and found two websites saying it is open from July 1, 2019 until the last business day of December 2019.

image.png

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

That's not my understanding but I don't know about airports other than Bkk (DM) and Chiang Mai.

Further, I've never heard of the endorsement and the exit/re-entry process as separate activities, but as above I have no experience with other airports. 

If you need an answer on this point perhaps call the imm. police at your local airport and ask, or have a Thai person ask., or go to the airport and ask. 

Have you been able to obtain the re-entry endorsement in your residence book at Don Muang airport and/or Chaing Mai airport?  

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu

6 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Have you been able to obtain the re-entry endorsement in your residence book at Don Muang airport and/or Chaing Mai airport?  

No never, I have always (over 20+ years) obtained the exit/re-entry stamps (always multi entry) at an immigration office, most recently at Chiang Mai immigration, all done with no hassle, in 20 minutes.

I did years ago ask at DM airport if the fee was different compared to getting the stamps at an actual immigration office. The answer was that it's the same fee but the Immigration senior on duty that day said 'better if farang with PR get the stamps at an immigration office because it might be possible the imm. officer on duty at the airport (at the desk to get exit/re-entry stamps) might not know how to handle all the documents for folks who hold PR.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

No never, I have always (over 20+ years) obtained the exit/re-entry stamps (always multi entry) at an immigration office, most recently at Chiang Mai immigration, all done with no hassle, in 20 minutes.

I did years ago ask at DM airport if the fee was different compared to getting the stamps at an actual immigration office. The answer was that it's the same fee but the Immigration senior on duty that day said 'better if farang with PR get the stamps at an immigration office because it might be possible the imm. officer on duty at the airport (at the desk to get exit/re-entry stamps) might not know how to handle all the documents for folks who hold PR.

To be clear, Chaing Mai Immigration was able to process the TM13 (Endorsement/Re-entry) as well as the TM22 (Immigrant Visa)? Up until now, I have been having these processed at Chang Wattana every year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

That is also been my understanding, as it involves a stamp in both the PR book and the passport. 

• Like 2

On 12/3/2019 at 10:52 AM, mortenaa said:

That is also been my understanding, as it involves a stamp in both the PR book and the passport. 

Correct- Confirmed by my departure through Bangkok SVM Airport a few days ago.

Both your passport and your PR book must have the VISA stamp in it.

It is normal practice to have these put in your passsport and PR book BEFORE you arrange travel out of the kingdom by visiting your local immigration office.

On departure...

Both your passport and PR book are checked and both stamped by the immigration officer. 

You will also be given a TM6 to fill in for your departure. This is also stamped with your departure date.

The small tear portion off the TM6 is used for departure and is retained by the IMO.

The large portion of the TM6 is used for your return to Thailand.

The 'Alien Book' was not requested by the IMO.

Hope this info helps.

:wai:

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 1:27 AM, SteveB2 said:

Correct- Confirmed by my departure through Bangkok SVM Airport a few days ago.

Both your passport and your PR book must have the VISA stamp in it.

It is normal practice to have these put in your passsport and PR book BEFORE you arrange travel out of the kingdom by visiting your local immigration office.

On departure...

Both your passport and PR book are checked and both stamped by the immigration officer. 

You will also be given a TM6 to fill in for your departure. This is also stamped with your departure date.

The small tear portion off the TM6 is used for departure and is retained by the IMO.

The large portion of the TM6 is used for your return to Thailand.

The 'Alien Book' was not requested by the IMO.

Hope this info helps.

:wai:

I only use the electronic gates. No stamps, no TM6, but of course I make sure that I have the re-entry permit in order.

• Like 1