Jump to content
BANGKOK
camerata

Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

On the advice of UbonJoe I'm reposting a question here.

 

 I will be obtaining a new passport in London next month through the one day quick service.When returning to Bangkok is it just a matter of showing the Airport Immigration Officer the old passport with the multiple re-entry? Presumably he/she will stamp the white book as well as the new passport ? Then I presume a trip to CW is needed to transfer the multiple re-entry to the new passport and amend the white book/red book as necessary? Is there a time limit to get all this done?

 

All pretty obvious I suppose but forewarned is forearmed.If some kind person could advise that would be most helpful.

 

The norm for Immigration is that PRs obtain a new passport in country and go to CW to put that in the system and transfer the necessary stamps and signatures. Personally i would want to check with Immigration first before returning to the Kingdom with a completely blank new passport that is not in their system. Logically they can handle this and must do so in the case where a PR has lost his passport abroad and returns with a new one. But logic is not something that is always in use at Immigration. Personally I would rather get a new passport at the Trendy building which is quite painless, although it takes a couple of weeks to get it back, and go through the normal process at CW after that, rather than risking being delayed by an IO at Suwarnabhumi when I am exhausted from a long flight. 

 

I once got a new passport in the UK as a Thai PR but that was a second UK passport without any Thai visas in it.  They apparently had no way of knowing it was a second passport in those days, or just didn't care, and sent the new one in the mail to my mother's address with no questions asked and I picked it up on my next trip to the UK.  Nowadays they put you through the third degree asking for justification why they should issue or renew a second passport. For the first second passport I just told them I needed to travel to pre-Rainbow South Africa and black African countries for business (in those days countries like Nigeria would either not let you in or ask for a big dose of squeeze, if they saw any evidence you had travelled to South Africa - same with Saudi vis a vis Israel).  I had a second UK one for three decades but let the last one expire.  It used to be useful to fill up with non-Thai visas so that I could make the main passport last longer, although I never got one to last for the full 10 years.  Now I have a Thai pasport the full page Thai visa stamps are no longer an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Arkady said:

 

The norm for Immigration is that PRs obtain a new passport in country and go to CW to put that in the system and transfer the necessary stamps and signatures. Personally i would want to check with Immigration first before returning to the Kingdom with a completely blank new passport that is not in their system. Logically they can handle this and must do so in the case where a PR has lost his passport abroad and returns with a new one. But logic is not something that is always in use at Immigration. Personally I would rather get a new passport at the Trendy building which is quite painless, although it takes a couple of weeks to get it back, and go through the normal process at CW after that, rather than risking being delayed by an IO at Suwarnabhumi when I am exhausted from a long flight. 

 

I once got a new passport in the UK as a Thai PR but that was a second UK passport without any Thai visas in it.  They apparently had no way of knowing it was a second passport in those days, or just didn't care, and sent the new one in the mail to my mother's address with no questions asked and I picked it up on my next trip to the UK.  Nowadays they put you through the third degree asking for justification why they should issue or renew a second passport. For the first second passport I just told them I needed to travel to pre-Rainbow South Africa and black African countries for business (in those days countries like Nigeria would either not let you in or ask for a big dose of squeeze, if they saw any evidence you had travelled to South Africa - same with Saudi vis a vis Israel).  I had a second UK one for three decades but let the last one expire.  It used to be useful to fill up with non-Thai visas so that I could make the main passport last longer, although I never got one to last for the full 10 years.  Now I have a Thai pasport the full page Thai visa stamps are no longer an issue.

Many thanks for this excellent advice.The prospect of a long boring discussion with an IO when I'm in a state of exhaustion is certainly to be avoided.

 

Having said that, I have now done what I should have done earlier, namely to check what I did 10 years ago when renewing my current passport (also one day service in UK). It was in fact very simple on the Thai side - just carry old and new passports when travelling and use until multiple entry in old is due to expire, then renew at Immigration in usual way.As to a puzzled IO at the airport,I don't recall any issue arising.Of course the old passport was in the system.

 

But perhaps I should renew my passport locally.It might all be a bit easier especially as I have a feeling the UK end might not be running at peak efficiency (Brexit etc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jayboy said:

On the advice of UbonJoe I'm reposting a question here.

 

 I will be obtaining a new passport in London next month through the one day quick service.When returning to Bangkok is it just a matter of showing the Airport Immigration Officer the old passport with the multiple re-entry? Presumably he/she will stamp the white book as well as the new passport ? Then I presume a trip to CW is needed to transfer the multiple re-entry to the new passport and amend the white book/red book as necessary? Is there a time limit to get all this done?

 

All pretty obvious I suppose but forewarned is forearmed.If some kind person could advise that would be most helpful.

 

 

I obtained a new passport abroad four years ago and gave the immigration officer both the old and new passports along with the white residence book when entering at Suvarnabhumi. There is a one-line notation under the entry stamp in the new passport which refers to the re-entry permit in the old one. White book stamped as usual near the endorsement. One week later, I went to CW to get a new re-entry permit and endorsement. Both were granted without any extra paperwork or explanation other than a verbal confirmation that the old re-entry and endorsement would be cancelled. The old re-entry and endorsement were near expiry, so this was not an issue. I have no direct experience of transferring a valid re-entry permit to a new passport.

 

I was granted PR more than 20 years ago and have renewed my passport a couple of times since. The only times I have gone to the police station apart from the 1-year anniversary of obtaining PR were the regular 5-year visits. Red book contains the passport number of the passport I had when I obtained PR, but none of the stamps or markings from subsequent visits contain the passport numbers of later passports. Nothing was ever said about having to make interim visits to update passport info in case of a change and I have not heard of any such requirement. 

 

 

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
clarity
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I obtained a new passport abroad four years ago and gave the immigration officer both the old and new passports along with the white residence book when entering at Suvarnabhumi. There is a one-line notation under the entry stamp in the new passport which refers to the re-entry permit in the old one. White book stamped as usual near the endorsement. One week later, I went to CW to get a new re-entry permit and endorsement. Both were granted without any extra paperwork or explanation other than a verbal confirmation that the old re-entry and endorsement would be cancelled. The old re-entry and endorsement were near expiry, so this was not an issue. I have no direct experience of transferring a valid re-entry permit to a new passport.

 

I was granted PR more than 20 years ago and have renewed my passport a couple of times since. The only times I have gone to the police station apart from the 1-year anniversary of obtaining PR were the regular 5-year visits. Red book contains the passport number of the passport I had when I obtained PR, but none of the stamps or markings from subsequent visits contain the passport numbers of later passports. Nothing was ever said about having to make interim visits to update passport info in case of a change and I have not heard of any such requirement. 

 

 

Same.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jayboy said:

On the advice of UbonJoe I'm reposting a question here.

 

 I will be obtaining a new passport in London next month through the one day quick service.When returning to Bangkok is it just a matter of showing the Airport Immigration Officer the old passport with the multiple re-entry? Presumably he/she will stamp the white book as well as the new passport ? Then I presume a trip to CW is needed to transfer the multiple re-entry to the new passport and amend the white book/red book as necessary? Is there a time limit to get all this done?

 

All pretty obvious I suppose but forewarned is forearmed.If some kind person could advise that would be most helpful.

 

 

 

CW don't transfer the re-entry/endorsement stamps even if you ask them to. When travelling you just have to carry old and new passports until expiry of the re-entry. In my experience it doesn't faze the airport IO's.

 

It doesn't make any difference whether the new passport is issued in Bangkok or abroad.

 

The only slight hassle is if you are registered for Autochannel. In that case the system has to be updated and a new sticker placed in your new passport. You can do that at airport Immigration either on departure next to the overstay counter or on arrival at the office near the premium channel. In the past there have been issues with the software when linking a new passport with a new residence certificate but that seems to be resolved.

Edited by thedemon
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thedemon said:

 

CW don't transfer the re-entry/endorsement stamps even if you ask them to. When travelling you just have to carry old and new passports until expiry of the re-entry. In my experience it doesn't faze the airport IO's.

 

The only slight hassle is if you are registered for Autochannel. In that case the system has to be updated and a new sticker placed in your new passport. You can do that at airport Immigration either on departure next to the overstay counter or on arrival at the office near the premium channel. In the past there have been issues with the software when linking a new passport with a new residence certificate but that seems to be resolved.

I confirm the above in regard to transfer of the stamps. I have PR. Late last year I had my full Asutralian passport replaced (sent from Canberra).

 

Quickly after I received my new passport I was at immigration in Chiang Mai with a buddy who was doing his annual renewal of retirement visa. When he was finished I asked the same officer about transferring my exit/re-entry stamp from old to new passport. She said 'let me check' and quickly the main officer for PR matters appeared (speaks good English) and she reconfirmed my question.

 

Her response was 'it's not necessary at all, just show old and new passports'. She then re-checked the expirt date for my exit/re-entry stamp and said 'look forward to seeing  you again in about 3 months'.

 

 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...