BANGKOK
camerata

Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

sorry camerata, but I dont quite follow you (in the context of work permits for PR holders)... all employers who employ foreigners are required/responsible to be familiar with the work permit laws and the parameters of the prohibited professions etc. (whether each complies or not is a different question

I think that is the whole point. As we can see with traffic regulations, when there is no effective means of enforcement the result is large-scale non-compliance. But I wasn't thinking only of the relatively few prohibited occupations. The Ministry of Labour wants to have an easy method of controlling if and when any foreigner is allowed to compete with a Thai for any job at all, because the need for certain skills changes over the years.

I've heard that it's easier for PR holders to get a new work permit. I don't think this means less paperwork. I think it means they are less likely to turn us down because "a Thai can do the job." This seems to be at the whim of the officer dealing with the application. I've had one work permit rejected for this reason and another two approved only after some negotiation and changing the job title into something concerning use of the English language. I would hope they aren't so finicky with PR holders.

Sunbelt Asia used to have a page implying that some requirements could be waived for PR holders, but I can't find it now.

Well, if you weren't a criminal before this process, you most likley will become one because of it.

1. AFPsite horrendously slow ( when it works of course , which is seldom )

2. There is some basic info on the cost of a finger print check, but not how to freaking do it from 5000 miles away

3. Embassy ( both consular and AFP ) pretty hopeless too ( very good at saying " we dont do it"- seems to be standard On-job-training when u get a job with the Govt. )

http://www.afp.gov.au/business/criminal_history_checks

this is the only form.... where and how to get a finger print check is anyones guess. Will call Oz tomorrow, stay tuned

http://www.afp.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/3683/crim01.pdf

I think I misunderstood your earlier posts. If you didn't send your fingerprints to the AFP before, you definitely need to. The fingerprints can be taken free of charge at Room 301, Suan Phlu Immigration office. The officer who does them is called Phaisarn. You send the set of fingerprints and the form to the AFP with payment etc and they send back a certificate.

Thanks a gazillion. Becoming clearer now. I know the guy i think, nice old guy who does this for 20+ years. Question:- how do they ensure the linkage with my name and the finger prints. For example ( playing devils advocate ), you could take the forms, print ur buddy fingers and put ur name on it. Is there any sign off ? If not, fine by me (make things simpler ) but kinda defeats the purpose really ? Will go do it tomorrow and go for round 2. I guess this is one of the "tick the box" processes ?

Thx.

how do they ensure the linkage with my name and the finger prints. For example ( playing devils advocate ), you could take the forms, print ur buddy fingers and put ur name on it. Is there any sign off ?

When my position changed at the university to permanent staff they (police came to the uni) did my fingerprints. The card was signed by the official and his position. Of course that could be forged, then you will have a criminal record. :o

Question:- how do they ensure the linkage with my name and the finger prints. For example ( playing devils advocate ), you could take the forms, print ur buddy fingers and put ur name on it. Is there any sign off ?

Yes. It is a standard fingerprint card. You produce your passport and the officer writes your info on the card. You send the card to the AFP with a copy of your passport. It's not foolproof, but Immigration seems happy with it. You then get the criminal record check report and have it certified by your embassy.

LOL.... ok..... so they are the signatories.......

Thanks guys for the help. Will dawdle on down there tomorrow and get my fingers black for the second time. I guess i can use that AFP form with the prints.

Will try to check with AFP once more before sending all the stuff. I am a real fan of all this paper work stuff ( nope ). I hope it ends in the expected result.

p.s. Glad this is now in the forum, atleast others who follow in our trail can figure out the steps required.

Edited by skippybangkok

Yes - they are more "easy going" towards PR's when it comes to processing work permitts for us/them - whether thats formal or not I dont know, but after a few years you'll find things tend move forward smoothly and as a matter of default.

They are sick of seeing my face now for the last 20 years - its become a standing joke to tease me every time to get Thai citizenship or get out.

When I became a monk (which I did for 18 months many many years ago), the old guy who handles my renewal everytime was most confused as he had got my work permitt renewal down to a fine art. He was pleased I had taken up the monkhood, but wasn't quite sure what to do. He really didn't want the hassle, so asked me rhetorically (against all good Bhuddist rules), " you're not going to be doing this for long are you??". I assured him not. He processed my WP as if nothing had changed, and the following year I was back in civvie clothes.

I know of 2 guys (and there may be more...) who are PR's on the strength of been long time monks. One left the monkhood about 7 years after getting PR (by which time he had been a monk for nearly 20 years). He retained his PR status and when he went to get a work permitt, was asked what he intended to do. He didn't know, and was quite worried that he would find himself in a corner i.e. not qualified to do anything that would entitle him to a work permitt. He was told that as he was a PR - and that that wouyld not be taken away from him (its a serious doc that - once you have it, you have it for life - unless you really step out of line big time - even if its criminal it would have to be something quite serious for you to have your residancy status revoked - he could do whatever he wanted, it would be approved.

Ultimately he started an orphanage for street children, but I havent a clue what was written in his blue book.

Moral of story - anything is possible - just tow the line.

Tim

sorry camerata, but I dont quite follow you (in the context of work permits for PR holders)... all employers who employ foreigners are required/responsible to be familiar with the work permit laws and the parameters of the prohibited professions etc. (whether each complies or not is a different question

I think that is the whole point. As we can see with traffic regulations, when there is no effective means of enforcement the result is large-scale non-compliance. But I wasn't thinking only of the relatively few prohibited occupations. The Ministry of Labour wants to have an easy method of controlling if and when any foreigner is allowed to compete with a Thai for any job at all, because the need for certain skills changes over the years.

I've heard that it's easier for PR holders to get a new work permit. I don't think this means less paperwork. I think it means they are less likely to turn us down because "a Thai can do the job." This seems to be at the whim of the officer dealing with the application. I've had one work permit rejected for this reason and another two approved only after some negotiation and changing the job title into something concerning use of the English language. I would hope they aren't so finicky with PR holders.

Sunbelt Asia used to have a page implying that some requirements could be waived for PR holders, but I can't find it now.

Edited by Maizefarmer

He retained his PR status and when he went to get a work permitt, was asked what he intended to do. He didn't know, and was quite worried that he would find himself in a corner i.e. not qualified to do anything that would entitle him to a work permitt. He was told that as he was a PR ... he could do whatever he wanted, it would be approved.

That's good to know. Presumably he didn't actually get a work permit until he'd found himself a job? How long ago was this?

Correct - he only got it "stamped & entered" once he had settled back down into civvy life and had his feet on the ground - during which time he lived off and was sponosered by Thai's who had supported him while he was a monk, and who helped him financially get the street kid shelter up and running.

This was in 1996-7, so he got his PR around 1989-90, and had been here since 1976.

Tim

Is there any indication whether the current political situation will affect applications for PR this coming December?

Is there any indication whether the current political situation will affect applications for PR this coming December?

I'm very interested in the answer to that also.

Would suggest that you contact Immigration directly or maybe via their website.

Pop along to Suan Plu Immigration Bureau to floor 2 room 201. Resident Permit application centre.