Is it better to change THB to GBP in UK or Thailand?

Last year I went to SuperRich and got it changed there, but I've heard you'll always get a better rate in your destination country. That said, it's very difficult to get the rates from the UK money changers - they don't advertise them on their websites. Can anyone kindly advise? I leave in 3 days so I need to make my mind up. smile.png

Better rate in Thailand, if you take big paper money notes £50 and they are clean , no writing on them you will get a better rate still, If you change them at Chinese money changers in Bangkok. Just take Enough to get buy till you can change your money at a Bank, Don't change at the Airport they don't give a good rate of exchange, Mostly a few baht less than the banks.

Change money here in Thailand always. Both ways (ie. THB to whatever, and whatever to thb).

I have not seen any currency (Euros, Pounds, Dollars) get a better rate in their home countries than you get here from the money changers.

Always change it in Thailand, just bring enough Baht with you to get you to where you're going when you get off the plane.

There can be a significant difference in the exchange rate outside the country compared with the exchange rate inside the country. There is a reason for this but I can't remember what it is, it's something to do with the way the Baht is traded internationally.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Always change it in Thailand, just bring enough Baht with you to get you to where you're going when you get off the plane.

There can be a significant difference in the exchange rate outside the country compared with the exchange rate inside the country. There is a reason for this but I can't remember what it is, it's something to do with the way the Baht is traded internationally.

Not much in the way of demand for the Thai Baht internationally. No demand so they offer crappy exchange rates

Always in Thailand but not at a standard bureau de change. Go to one of the Chinese exchange places. There are plenty around Sukhumvit but if you are outside of central Bangkok such as Ekamai away from the tourist areas then you will get some pretty good deals. As a poster above says, clean £50's will ensure an even better rate.

Actually 51 to the pound is not good as the current exchange rate is around 54, quite a loss if you're changing a sizable amount. Mind you, this is withdrawing from an ATM, not sure what the local banks / bureaus give at the moment?

Funny thread, everyone's talking about the opposite of what the OP wants!

THB/GBP about 54.50

GBP/THB around 53.70

The following will let you see the rates from the individual banks in Thailand

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

As the OP is talking about leaving for Thailand in a few days I think they merely mixed up the currency. Disregard the bank link as you'll always get a better rate from a moneychanger.

Funny thread, everyone's talking about the opposite of what the OP wants!

THB/GBP about 54.50

GBP/THB around 53.70

The following will let you see the rates from the individual banks in Thailand

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

As the OP is talking about leaving for Thailand in a few days I think they merely mixed up the currency. Disregard the bank link as you'll always get a better rate from a moneychanger.

I think we'll let the OP decide that one and clarify, it's pretty specific as it stands.

But carrying cash from the UK to Thailand to change at SuperRich:

The OP will need to make sure he has the right paperwork with him at the boarding gate, the sniffer dogs were checking everyone waiting to board on the EVA flight to Bangkok in March and in May, prove where the money came from or loose it.

And probably worth trying to calculate the cost of insurance for that cash, if it's £500 then probably no big deal but if he looses it or somebody takes it from him, a loss of several thousand can far outweigh the few santang gained on the exchange rate and may make a SWIFT transfer seem very inexpensive!

Oh, and if it's really big numbers, be sure to declare it at Bangkok Customs.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the all the replies. I am actually leaving Thailand to go to the UK for a couple of weeks, so I was enquiring about changing THB to GBP and not the other way around, as a few people have already pointed out. If I was changing pounds to baht, I know it's cheapest in BKK by far.

It's pretty clear though now that it's also best to do it here in Thailand. I had wanted to avoid the queues at Super Rich, but I'll just go first thing in the morning.

BTW, just for reference, I'm a woman. Thanks again for the responses, they've been very helpful. smile.png

Edited by amccbkk
  • Like 1

Apologies as I had indeed misunderstood the thread before I threw my 'tuppence worth' in (it was very very early in the morningsmile.png )

Let us know how you get on as the 41 offered by Asda to buy back pounds sounds terrible. Good luck and have a good trip.

• Like 1

I have always found that exchanging it here in Thailand you get a better rate both ways but that was with aussie dollars but it would be the same with british sterling. In Australia the exchange rates were very bad compared to here, even in the airports which were usually only 1 baht below the current exchange rates while in the home country it was around 5 baht worse.

• Like 1

Apologies as I had indeed misunderstood the thread before I threw my 'tuppence worth' in (it was very very early in the morningsmile.png )

Let us know how you get on as the 41 offered by Asda to buy back pounds sounds terrible. Good luck and have a good trip.

Every time I look at Asda's currency exchange rates I expect to see a pirate loitering nearby. 51bt/£ isn't too bad for small purchases but a 20% spread is taking the piss.

• Like 1

Changing THB to GBP should definitely be done here. The last time I went back to Blighty I exchanged my cash at Krung Thai at a pretty decent rate. In Blighty I looked at the exchange rates and couldn't believe the difference, buying at nearly 15 baht less than here.

• Like 1

Change in Thailand. SuperRich may offer slightly better than bank rates. Depends on how much you are changing as to whether it's worth the travelling time.

Otherwise the KBank booth at the entrance to the Airport - City rail link at Suvarnabhumi offers a much better rate than any of the exchange booths at Suvarnabhumi arrivals or departures.

Change in Thailand. SuperRich may offer slightly better than bank rates. Depends on how much you are changing as to whether it's worth the travelling time.

Otherwise the KBank booth at the entrance to the Airport - City rail link at Suvarnabhumi offers a much better rate than any of the exchange booths at Suvarnabhumi arrivals or departures.

Forget the booths or any banks, get the moneychangers to do it. Around 1 baht difference, 1.5 baht difference if you have crispy £50's - I'm a Brit so referring to the good old pound.

Forget the booths or any banks, get the moneychangers to do it. Around 1 baht difference, 1.5 baht difference if you have crispy £50's - I'm a Brit so referring to the good old pound.

"1.5 baht difference if you have crispy £50's"

Dear Lord - It might be an idea to read the whole thread before you post. The OP wants to change THAI BAHT to UK STERLING. Crispy pound notes are totally and completely irrelevant.

​Does ANYONE on Thaivisa actually read posts before they reply?

• Like 1

Yet again I misread the earlier post and assume the asda buying rate of thai baht was 61 not 41? sorry. Btw, this same question on another forum produced this link https://www.comparecurrency.com/money-transfer/ or this when u click on quote https://www.currenciesdirect.com/en/uk?Ref=2674 which may be of interest as it seems you can wire the baht to England with v little difference in the exchange rate & without any fee?? (as opposed to the big banks who charge big money!)

Is there a catch here? maybe the receiving bank charges?

Edited by rayinkrabi