honda steed 400cc or suzuki intruder 1400cc custom chopper ?

dirtycash

Ok from that pic of the book it seems to check out.

Being a black 94 model 1400cc bike registered in Chonburi, I read it as cylinders = 4 ?.... I am probably wrong though.

Can you get a pic of the front outer cover. and also page 18.

Edited by Spoonman

UPDATE .......the pics of green book have been attatched here please have a look. thai owner, he makes these bikes. please let me know your thoughts. and surely i can do a bit of travelling on these bikes ? i mean say from pattaya to hau hin twice per week 3 times a year ,maybe ?

what do you think. it is a beauty and i think if this green book is genuine etc then how could i not sell on again in a couple of years if i do not get my use out of it .

thanks

and did you compare the chassis and engine numbers if they are the same ones on bike?

book might be from another bike, common here.

and going to hua hin with it from pattaya two times a week with it? of course possible but with some effort!

Edited by ll2

UPDATE .......the pics of green book have been attatched here please have a look. thai owner, he makes these bikes. please let me know your thoughts. and surely i can do a bit of travelling on these bikes ? i mean say from pattaya to hau hin twice per week 3 times a year ,maybe ?

what do you think. it is a beauty and i think if this green book is genuine etc then how could i not sell on again in a couple of years if i do not get my use out of it .

thanks

and did you compare the chassis and engine numbers if they are the same ones on bike?

He has already said he aint here, Iam sure due diligence will happen before cash handover at the LTD when book is signed over into his name.

The fact the book is a Chonburi one is encouraging.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

seller has sent me more pics of green book, see attatchments below. ok as i say i love the look of this bike, i have allways wanted something like this, yes i want to travel about and want to travel about on something nice, its all about the look of this bike i do not find superbikes in the least bit interesting. so say from pattaya to isaan and around different cities and towns everyday you guys think that this is the wrong thing for me ? of course i am open to critisism i know absolutely nothing of bikes. seems to me your just saying its a head turner / city cruiser and thats about it ?

i would love a vulcan but cannot go to that high end price for a decent one.

post-216244-0-34659300-1406934106_thumb.

post-216244-0-57797100-1406934114_thumb.

post-216244-0-15619600-1406934122_thumb.

• Like 1

Frankly, you're nuts to consider buying it until you or someone you know has checked it out. The 240 conversion can screw up the handling aspect of the bike (it will be OK for short trips, but for cruising at any sort of distance it can be a problem as it will probably pull to the drivetrain side as the offset messes up the balance). I can see buying a clean stock bike sight-unseen (though there are still inherent risks) but buying a highly-modified bike without anything but the seller's word is too risky. Yes, it might be a great, perfect bike, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

I'm also wondering why- if it's such a good deal- it hasn't been snapped up locally.

• Like 2

Frankly, you're nuts to consider buying it until you or someone you know has checked it out. The 240 conversion can screw up the handling aspect of the bike (it will be OK for short trips, but for cruising at any sort of distance it can be a problem as it will probably pull to the drivetrain side as the offset messes up the balance). I can see buying a clean stock bike sight-unseen (though there are still inherent risks) but buying a highly-modified bike without anything but the seller's word is too risky. Yes, it might be a great, perfect bike, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

I'm also wondering why- if it's such a good deal- it hasn't been snapped up locally.

Good advice here for bikes or partners in Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

well, buying a bike before seeing it close or before test riding is anyway a mistake IMO.

Just come here first, see the bike, ride it and decide if you like it and if it is OK for long roads and go to DLT after and if you can get it into your name, most probably it should be OK legally.

thanks

He has already said he aint here, Iam sure due diligence will happen before cash handover at the LTD when book is signed over into his name.

The fact the book is a Chonburi one is encouraging.

he can still ask the owner photos of chassis and engine number.

Looking at the rest of the book I would say it is not 100%.

There is the thing with the 4 cylinders and the front of the book lists the numberplate as 802, not to mention the pencil on the bottom looks to have been erased and written over.

If I were to buy this I would not hand over any cash until the book has been updated to my name. If it is dodgy they will be apprehensive (Land Trans Dept) to do this.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 2

hahaaa some very good advice , thankyou. i will not buy this bike now as most of you who are in the know have advised me against it. ive weighed up my options, this one seems dodgy and im not about to lose 250k through my own impatience and stupidity. better to wait untill i get to thailand then have a look around with my own eyes.

thanks

A small suggestion if I may.

Try to decide what you really want and then a couple of weeks before you come over either reopen this thread or open a new one telling guys what you would like to buy, model, engine size etc and make a short list of perhaps 3 bikes and then ask the guys on the motorbike thread what you need and your price range and they may be able to help you out. Most big bikes are found around the cities and I cannot help you there as I live in a very small moo ban in rural Thailand and all I would be able to do is what the other guys can do better.

• Like 1

Again i will say brand new honda ctx700 with dual clutch auto tranny for 400 k thb. You can sell it easier too and good for hassle free touring.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

back to basics and the honda click then for me whistling.gif

What is your budget for a bike ?

Does it stretch enough for a new Yamaha Bolt (Bt.465,000) ?

Nice lazy 900cc twin would just eat up the highway miles.

iBBjuSLtws0828050820.jpg

wow....nice but my max budget is around 200 k

• 4 weeks later...

Well dirtycash, you've had some great advice on this thread. From people with far greater biking experience than me. I came here 16 years ago with a similar idea to you, what I wanted was a Vietnam era Harley to renovate and live the dream. Only ever saw one and even though it was a bag of nails it was way out of my price range. Ok then plan B, bought a Wave brand new and rode the arse off it. Moved up to a Sonic and same thing, probably a mistake, should have gone for the CBR 150, but never mind. Then went for Kawasaki Boss, mana I loved that little bike, only 175 but it was a great little ride. Then moved up? to a Honda Phantom. Which I still have to this day, underpowered, only 200 cc but as I have put 60K on her it has been my most formative machine.Now have a Yamaha Virago XV 525, again lovely little bike, what I really like about her is the powe is there when you need it. Anyway to cut a long story short, if I were in your shoes I would go for a phantom first, 45 or 50,000 will geyt you a good one, ride the arse off it and get some kms under your belt. 2 or 3 months maybe, then identify the bike you really want and go for it. There are some good deals to be had here way below the prices you have been quoted. I have a couple of friends with the Steed 400 and they all regret not going for the 600 and they are drop dead gorgeous bikes too. Just a bit of lateral thinking for you. Thing is if you go for a Phantom, you probably wont lose much money on it, they are also reliable and economical. Good luck.

• Like 2