How to educate your kids in Thailand

Many people are concerned, and rightfully so, about how to best educate their children here in Thailand. I have three children. One of them finished M6 18 months ago. One is M6 now. A third is M5. I'm pretty happy with the way that their education has gone generally. Some of you maybe interested in how I did it, especially since there are no international schools nearby.

Their education started at birth. In my house, I only speak to my children English. Since they were born. Next, cartoons, movies, and any other television that they watched was exclusively in English. They were not allowed to watch any Thai programming. Let's face it, the rest of the world outside of my home will be in Thai. But I wanted them to be completely fluent in English. So those were the rules. When my children were younger my wife spoke to them in English. But after a few years she changed back to Thai. No problem. I left it up to her.

I chose A smaller, well-run, Thai private K-6 school for them. And I got to know the owner. I did her a few favors, like help her find English teachers or even helped her myself a few times. I did this because I was going to need a favor from her in the future.

each of my children spent two years of their primary education studying at home with a Filipina teacher. They studied the basic curriculum that the other students were studying, but they did it in English. Sometimes I would have two of my children studying together. Sometimes it would just be one. At the time I was paying 15,000 per month, 60,000 per term, 120,000 per year. With two kids together that's still far cheaper than most international schools.

I also gave my kids Reading assignments during the summer holidays. Every year and that even continues today. My oldest son ended up reading all the harry potter books as well as many Stephen King and other popular books.

When they got to Matayom I did not put them into the English programs. Why should they study with a bunch of kids who speak very little English? They speak English. I want them to learn what they're there to study.

Have been very happy with their education. The Thai school system is a joke. But there is a lot of cool stuff on the internet now (check out Crash Course on youtube)

• Like 1

The most important thing we all need to do with respect to education in Thailand is to compare the text books with 'a better country' text. Maybe a private school has small classes and good teachers but the obvious is still the obvious - are they learning what they need to learn.

I home-schooled my daughter to age 7. She tested at a 4th grade level when we put her into P2 (due to age and small size) in an EP school. I was much less involved (travel). At the end of P4, she tested at below 4th grade level. We moved upcountry, put her in another EP school, and I home-schooled her weekends and some weeknights. She finished P6 as the #1 student in the province and represented the province in national competitions - most of which she placed Bronze. She completed USA standard tests with Math scores over 90% with ridiculous ease and English scores below passing (despite speaking English since age 3). She tested into an M1 EP school (60 seats for several thousand hopefuls) and is now at or near the top of her class. .

My Thai wife is finishing her GED while also teaching our son, 4 years old, the basics while I continue working with our daughter to improve her English reading comprehension and writing. He has completed the requirements for USA grade 1 already and I plan to enroll him in a USA accredited home-school program (Calvert School) in 2015 when he is 5 and eligible. As a Florida state resident (on paper), I will pay nothing.

Given the experiences of my daughter (full Thai) in Thai public schools, there is no way in h*ll I will enroll my son. Yes, finding QUALITY friends for him has been, is, and will continue to be a challenge, but I'd rather he be a loner than stupid or made to feel inferior amongst qualitatively and educationally inferior students by teachers who themselves can't pass standard tests in the subjects they teach (!).

Neither of my kids will attend university in Thailand, so there is no point in cow-tow-ing (sp?) to the powers that be here. We put my daughter in the system thinking we would use it for friends and the real learning would continue at home. Oh, what a mistake that was...she's learned that being mediocre (by USA standards) is good enough for her peers and teachers to lavish her with praise as if she were a genius and keep her at the top of her class. Getting her to learn at home is a constant struggle and getting more difficult as she matures into a teenager. She does "just enough" and then it's full stop. Mediocre = #1 here, so no ambition and no initiative.

So, how to educate your kids in Thailand? Unless you are happy with your kids topping out at mediocre by USA standards, don't let them anywhere near the Thai school system. It's ranked 55 out of 60 for <deleted> sake...that's a hint, right?

Edited by SNGLIFE

In the public schools, Math is typically 1-2 years behind USA standards. P6 students are generally doing 4th grade math, for example. Good luck finding private schools. The problems are pervasive. For example: Math "tutors" - themselves moonlighting career teachers - utterly failed the 6th grade math interview questions I gave them...

Edited by SNGLIFE

Pay attension to whay they NOT learn....

Thats a lot.

The schoolsystem in this country was designed by the superrich and powerful families, not so many years ago.

The purpose was of course , to keep the poor poor ! The same families still roules !

They did a good job, the rich bastards.....

Totaly lack of pedagogic metodes, and a lot of knowledge of brainwash among the teachers ! Also in the privat schools, eaven the expensive ones !

Let us hope for a huge pedagogic transformation from the military junta !

I never said that TV was their entire education! Just that when they did watch TV it was exclusively in English.

theres more to education than speaking english ,don't see how TV is education ,my experience if under 10 you have a chance with thai children in a western school

each of my children spent two years of their primary education studying at home with a Filipina teacher. They studied the basic curriculum that the other students were studying, but they did it in English. Sometimes I would have two of my children studying together. Sometimes it would just be one. At the time I was paying 15,000 per month, 60,000 per term, 120,000 per year. With two kids together that's still far cheaper than most international schools.

Bruce, was this full-time? ie, they didn't go to any school, they only studied at home with the Filipino teacher Monday-Friday 9-4 (or whatever time)?

From what ages did they do it (What school years did they miss out on, Grade 2 and Grade 3, for example)?

Was it officially listed as Home Schooling with the MoE?

I am interested in Home Schooling for the future, but split half and half between myself and a Filipino teacher.

Edited by Deacon Bell

In the public schools, Math is typically 1-2 years behind USA standards. P6 students are generally doing 4th grade math, for example.

There are Math Centers such as Abacus.

I know a young Chinese-American boy, his dad is a Chinese-American doctor, he has taught him Math himself and he also goes to Abacus on Saturdays. He is the top Math student in his Grade 2 class in one of the BKK International Schools.

They were different for each kid but basically Pratom 2 or 3 and Pratom 4 or 5. And I needed the owner of the school to allow them to skip--thus the favors I did for her.

You cannot easily do P6 because the M1 wants to see the P6 diploma.

And they took the entire year off. They studied with the Filipina teacher about 12 hours per week, which was really plenty considering it was basically one on one.

Bruce, was this full-time? ie, they didn't go to any school, they only studied at home with the Filipino teacher Monday-Friday 9-4 (or whatever time)?

From what ages did they do it (What school years did they miss out on, Grade 2 and Grade 3, for example)?

Was it officially listed as Home Schooling with the MoE?

I am interested in Home Schooling for the future, but split half and half between myself and a Filipino teacher.

• Like 1

They were different for each kid but basically Pratom 2 or 3 and Pratom 4 or 5. And I needed the owner of the school to allow them to skip--thus the favors I did for her.

You cannot easily do P6 because the M1 wants to see the P6 diploma.

And they took the entire year off. They studied with the Filipina teacher about 12 hours per week, which was really plenty considering it was basically one on one.

Thanks for the info.

It's something I would consider.

Having to do P6 to get the cert to enter M1 though would be a bit of an obstical.

There are probably ways to get around that. All of this happened 10 years ago. Man, I am old.

And mine was completely off the record. When we started we were told that it was technically illegal but that no one cared. Things have now changed.

Edited by brucetefl
  • Like 1

I think children’s education and school in Thailand shall be based on where in the World the future shall be for the child. If you stay here on temporary term and will move on, then an International – or at least a good English Program – school is a must.

On the other hand, if you have settled here and the child’s future is most likely to be Thailand, I think the basics of the Thai culture and behavior is very important, as well as the language, and an English Program school at primary levels may be better than an International, which can be considered at a later stage if further studying abroad shall be an option.

Many posters have talked about quality of EP schools, and some have mentioned that the price paid for some Internationals are not worth the fairly huge tuition fees. Seems like there are lot of difference. There are also different opinions about the public Thai schools.

I have a daughter just 9 now at P3 in an EP school that we have been very happy with and only hear good about from other parents. She has been there since K1. A bit expensive (relative), but much cheaper than International, and seems worth the money; half the teachers are British. Another big EP schools in our area, which were an option and is chosen by many, have a bad reputation for Philippine teachers and the kids we know from there hardly speaks any English; however the fee is also only one third or less than the EP school we use. Other EP schools in the area are more European or International style, but without being certified and a lower price, may be a good choice compared to the only certified International here, which may have some benefits but does not seem worth 4 times higher costs than a good EP...

But on top of any school program comes what the parents or family “teach”, and I’m not thinking of schoolbooks, but merely the behavior in the family like what do you read, cartoons or National Geographic? Is TV soaps and cartoons running all day or do we have other activities? What stories do you read with your kid? What do we talk about and share of interest in the family, for example at dinner table? Make it fun to lean and seek knowledge – if there is something dad cannot answer, immediately, daughter now says: »We better check on Wikipedia…!« thumbsup.gif

Thanks.

I think the most important thing for me is that they follow the same level for their age as the West. For example they study the same level of math, geography and science in Grade 2 here as they would in Grade 2 in the West.

Without going to an International School I guess there are different options:

Homeschool.

Go to a Thai school and you the parent tops them up at home each evening/weekend, starting at a very young age.

A Full-time Filipino teacher.

Or a mixture of some Thai school, you topping up a little bit during the week, and a Filipino to do 4-5 hours on a Saturday.

I am completely against English programs for kids like mine. My daughter is not the best student in the world. She's just an average student. But her put her in an English program and she is the top. Of course. She's competing with a bunch of kids who speak minimal English. I'd rather have her learn the subject matter.

EP programs are an absolute waste for bilingual native English speaking/ Thai families. First of all EP students score lower on Onet tests. Their academic Thai ability is subpar. The classes are rarely filled with native speaking children so your child will be the star even if they are mediocre students. They will not be pushed academically in class. Most EP teachers are teaching subjects that they are not certified in even if they do have an BEd.

I have taught in EP programs for a few years and do not recommend them at all, the only thing worse are the so called bilingual programs.

I tend to agree with Bruce on this one. If you are a English native speaker, make your home an English speaking zone. If your partner isn't fluent in English then of course you will need to re-work this. One parent speaking Thai and the other English will not retain a balance since living in Thailand.

We actually send my daughter to a good Thai school. We reinforce her lessons at home. I pretty much take what ever topics she did in school and then go over similar content in English. We spend about 2 hours a day doing that. I also spend 30 minutes going over her Thai homework. Sometimes the material she is learning in Thai isn't accurate. I tell her to put the answers the way her teacher wants and then I show her the correct way. I make it very clear for her not to correct the teacher.

Asking open ended questions and having your children tell stories or explain things in more detail from what they are doing in their school does help a lot.

I think the most important thing to realize that actively involved parents is usually the defining factor on a student's progress.

I have a nephew that always asks for topics to do research projects during his summer vacations. His sister sits on the sofa eating chips zoned out on TV. So sometimes no matter how you raise your kids they will be who they are.

• Like 1

To the parents who are taking an active role in their kids' education, I applaud your efforts.

As a teacher, I can see exactly which students have parents encouraging them. That goes for Foreigner/Thai parents and purely Thai parents both. The kids you've taught English to are so far ahead in my English classes that I make them my "assistant teachers" and they help me encourage the others to try to learn.

Hats off to you guys!

I take care of both an IP program and have been involved with a bilingual program for many years. At one time, our bilingual program was in the top 100 schools in Thailand. As a general rule, I wouldn't send my child to an IP program unless my long term plan was for my child to go to school in a Western Country and they had only minimal need for Thai.

For a Thai child or mixed child I would go with a bilingual school. There is no loss of linguistic ability in the native language in a bilingual school. Bilingual programs have been around for a while and they have been studied in a number of countries. They are generally a good option.

Of course, a bad school is a bad school, regardless of the type of program they promote.

• Like 2

I think that one thing parents aim to do, is to keep them at an equal level with their age group in the West.

I believe that by the end of M6/Grade 12 Thai schools are about 2 years behind that level in the West.

Seeing the amount of time given to marching, doing ceremonies, preparing for ceremonies, preparing the preparation for ceremonies, I can well believe it.

Edited by Deacon Bell

Say again!!

My kids went to BKK for English Language Drama competition

Their English..daughters and friends is well nigh perfect

They won nothing

Whole lot of unintelligble performances from Chonburi, Nonthabiri won.

Wife said: "Can't have Issan Kids winning National competitions!

Let alone Lhuk Krueng who speak Thai better than Khon Thai!!

There is something called a Level Playing Field. You will not find it in Thailand""

Anyway all of you ....Most schools in most countries are crap.............work on it!!

"For a Thai child or mixed child I would go with a bilingual school. There is no loss of linguistic ability in the native language in a bilingual school. Bilingual programs have been around for a while and they have been studied in a number of countries. They are generally a good option."

The data that I have read and studied doesn't concur with that statement at all. There is little loss to their native tongue but minimal improvement in the second language.

For a native speaking bilingual child to be put in an English class with students who cannot make a sentence or have the language skills to process deeper cognitive skills in the foreign language it would hurt their ability. I spend hours a day trying to undo the bad English skills that my daughter picks up at school from classmates and teachers.

Bilingual programs in Thailand do not follow the correct model for CBI content based instruction. For a bilingual program to work the students need to have prior knowledge of the subject in their mother tongue and then they can use their reasoning skills to develop the language skills in the second language.

However the Thai model is to have both a Thai and an English teacher covering the same subject but they don't always cover the same content each day. For example if one was studying science 4 days a week 2 days would be English and 2 would be in Thai. If they covered exactly the same content but in different languages, then it would take 2 times as long to cover the same amount of content. They often learn different vocabulary.

The other major issue with those programs is that they are not focused on skills and more focused on covering content.

• Like 1

Say again!!

They won nothing

There is something called a Level Playing Field. You will not find it in Thailand""

Anyway all of you ....Most schools in most countries are crap.............work on it!!

To be fair, fluent in English Luk Kreung shouldn't take part in English competitions for Thai students.

Slightly unfair advantage. rolleyes.gif Imagine kids at home studying say, German in school, then doing inter-school competitions in German. Only for numerous students to show up that are half German and have spoken it German home since they started to talk.

Might put the non-German kids off a little, to say the least, why would they even bother trying or showing up.

Say again!!

They won nothing

Ding! That was our experience, too. I helped prepare my daughter (full Thai) and her classmates. I made sure they finished their words and pronounced the R, L, etc. sounds correctly. They all spent WEEKS preparing for the regional competition after having easily won the provincial competition; and I went with them to Roi Et and sat in the audience. By my reckoning, they should have placed #1 or #2. However, the judges (non of whom were native English speakers) placed them #8. The "winners" were (wait for it...) the host school and another hi-so school. Both were TERRIBLE speakers, but incorporated a lot more theater (props and such) in their performance. I couldn't understand 50% of what they were saying. Those competitions are FIXED. Don't waste your child's time or get their hopes up about winning if they are not in one of the hi-so schools.

Edited by SNGLIFE
  • Like 2

laolover88 wrote,

"My kids went to BKK for English Language Drama competition Their English..daughters and friends is well nigh perfect They won nothing"

SNGLIFE wrote,

"I helped prepare my daughter (full Thai) and her classmates. I made sure they finished their words and pronounced the R, L, etc. sounds correctly. <snip> However, the judges (non of whom were native English speakers) placed them #8."

brucetefl wrote,

"Hey my daughter won and she is NOT in a hi so school! Of course she is luk krung so kind of cheating!"

I take my hat off to you guys. IMO all of your kids are winners by virtue of having participated in the competitions. It's not so much winning that's important it's participation. Winning does feel better though.

• Like 1

As a prequel to the National Competition, there was the regional one. Judges: 1. A lady from the Jangwat Education Office. 2. A black lady from Cameroon. 3. A black guy from Cameroon. (Native French Speakers) 4. The Headmistress of some school in Korat. 15 schools. Kids come in second. Cameroon Lady said: Of course your kids won. The Thais just changed the marks! "Possibly as a result of a 'little gift'" she said

PS Nothing in the rules etc. about not allowing Luk Khreung to participate!

Here in Rayong the "best" school is Rayong Wit. The competitions are always held at their school and they always win. And I mean ALWAYS win. But last year, it was so obvious that my daughter was better, I think the judges couldn't do it. They had to finally give it to my daughter. Then she went on to win the national competition in Muang Thong Thani.

But she barely won in Rayong.