BANGKOK 21 April 2019 11:54

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dirtycash

best easiest way to learn thai.

kindle book or cd like rosetta stone . i want in future maybe to stay in thailand and teach, i did go to school in pattaya before for couple months but have found ive lost it after 5 years of not practising. when in thailand i pick it up and it stays with me but when i return home i do use it.

i hear there is school in pattaya ( north star library, naklua ) who offer free classes.

thanks

a live in educated Thai Girl :D

plus asking what everything around you is in Thai , writing that down and practice saying it later.....

and a big SMILE because you will screw up many many times !,

Benjawan Becker's 2 books (beginner and intermediate) plus many "sleeping dictionaries". When you are at a good intermediate level, top up with a "full immersion" month at one of some very good schools in BKK. Nothing decent in Pattaya (apart from the sleeping dictionaries;).....

I went to a Thai language school for a1 1/2 years and it really helped I am far from being perfect in Thai but I can get around without a problem

I have over the years purchased many books to learn Thai language. However, no 2 books are the same. If you are looking to practice before you come then Benjawan Poomsan Becker books have been helpful to me. Learn the alphabet. Don't ignore it. If you can't read and write you will never be able to speak well. There are 44 consonants and 32 vowels. The English language, as you know, has only 26 letters. There are sounds in the Thai alphabet we do not use in the English language. You cannot produce these sounds purely by listening. ต ป ง อื for example. You really need to be taught by a Thai though. A Thai teacher who really knows how to teach the language (a lot of people on these forums criticise unqualified English teachers) if you are heading back to Pattaya the best school, out of the 5 I have been to, is the Prince of Wales school on Pattaya 3rd road.

What will you teach in Thailand?

Dr Brown's Thai language department at AUA, Rajadamri. It's not for everybody but I found their methods wonderful.

A school is really the best way to go.

If you must DIY, then books, recordings, and online resources (as above). Do a daily lesson, then go sit at a beer bar and practice it w/ the ladies, heh heh. :)

Thais are quite willing to help you learn--in contrast to, say, Japanese.

A school is really the best way to go.

If you must DIY, then books, recordings, and online resources (as above). Do a daily lesson, then go sit at a beer bar and practice it w/ the ladies.

Thais are quite willing to help you learn--in contrast to, say, Japanese.

Learning Thai by speaking with prostitutes is not a good idea.

Every Thai person will spot you as a monger in 30s.

simple ...getting a real woman if you are a real man...not a girl who speak generally issan or what ever dialect..these never speak thai propely!coffee1.gif

I don't think wife or gf good or bad can be helpful cause in the end is common speak english in the couple. Schools neither in most of the cases because teach a language that nobody use in everyday life. I repeat myself, the best and also quickest way to learn thai is to get rid of any english speaker around you

Sent from my i-mobile IQ1.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A long haired dictionary, that's what my Thai colleagues told me and it worked perfectly for me, we are now happily married ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app