Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is it just me or do others detect a "trend" here?

Yes the trend is that many offices do something to look good to their superiors. Of course, the laws have always been in place.

At least that confirms that unlike some parrot has been claiming, keeping the original passport all the time, it NOT the law.

So are tourists here for two weeks now meant to take their passports to the beach, trekking through the jungle or in a soapy massage??

"Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration"

Not clear though how wide spread this policy will be as it seems Hua Hin only at the moment.

• Like 1

Does this include everywhere else? 

Meaning I only have to carry my Thai Drivers Licencse - no need to keep my passport or a copy with me as well?

Yes...seems like it...but wait there's more!

Whenever I go to visit the wife's family over the weekend (or go anywhere for more than 24 hours), I have to call her brother's (who are policemen) to tell them I'm coming! lol. Why doesn't immigration put tracking collars on all foreigners. They there we know where we all are 24/7. That's basically their goal. Tourists / backpackers who want to travel extensively, will just not want to come to Thailand for fear of being fined when they don't report their whereabouts. 

And could my wife be fined for not reporting I've lived in our house the last 14 years? (despite the fact we do 90 day reports!!!)

Just leave for an hour and come back and start the 24 hour cycle again? 

• Like 1

Why doesn't Hua Hin just place a bill board on the town line stating "We do not want you here, go away"
Ummm, i am not expert on this area...but they do make a fair sum on Foreign Tourists ... yes?

Done.

Let's see how long this lasts when of all the wonderful surrounding places to visit ... are filled while Hua Hin is empty.

(I do hope it does not include Cha Am, which I MUCH prefer anyway!)

PS ... No, no and NO ... I am not carrying my Passport 24 / 7

Passport please.

Ummm... I lost it.

You lost it?

Yes, I was standing next to one of your "Beware of Pickpocket signs" ... and now it is gone.

You have 24 hours to produce it.

On what planet can you replace both a lost passport and your valid visa in 24 hours?

In other words, if your photo copy (and perhaps an on the spot 500 THB "processing charge") can not solve it ... the fine is STILL much better than loss of documents.

Does this include everywhere else? 

Meaning I only have to carry my Thai Drivers Licencse - no need to keep my passport or a copy with me as well?

Yes...seems like it...but wait there's more!

Whenever I go to visit the wife's family over the weekend (or go anywhere for more than 24 hours), I have to call her brother's (who are policemen) to tell them I'm coming! lol. Why doesn't immigration put tracking collars on all foreigners. They there we know where we all are 24/7. That's basically their goal. Tourists / backpackers who want to travel extensively, will just not want to come to Thailand for fear of being fined when they don't report their whereabouts. 

And could my wife be fined for not reporting I've lived in our house the last 14 years? (despite the fact we do 90 day reports!!!)

Just leave for an hour and come back and start the 24 hour cycle again? 

BKK/Ratchaburi....it's not very convenient. I just don't think this will be in any way enforced outside of tourist areas (and then only over a short period). Maybe time to go for 80% tint on my car windows laugh.png

• Like 1

And what about car and motorbike rentals who ask for passport deposit? Is this now illegal?

At least in my case it's always been illegal. I don't own the passport, it belongs to my native country and I'm not allowed to give it to anybody.

So when you leave you passport to a foreign consulate to get a visa you would be breaking the law ? 

No, is not so. Anywaycountries do not clearly stipulate who has property of the material passport book, so we're discussing on smoke. 

• Like 1

So are tourists here for two weeks now meant to take their passports to the beach, trekking through the jungle or in a soapy massage??

"Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration"

Not clear though how wide spread this policy will be as it seems Hua Hin only at the moment.

Don't tell me, let me guess ... they will make the Hua Hin stamp to fill an entire page.  I mean, if they are going to ram it in... why stop half way.  I am a huge fan of Thailand ... but sometimes I have to shake my head and just wrap it around the fact "You can not fix stupid."

Let's see... we run a resort town.
Let's make coming to it as difficult and uncomfortable as possible.  I mean, it is not like you can find any other beach to go to in Thailand ... right?

It clearly states fail to report is a thb 2000 fine !

For hotels/guesthouse/home owners only. It has always been like that and occasionally the law is enforced even to homeowners for the purpose of shakedown.