Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't tell me, let me guess ... they will make the Hua Hin stamp to fill an entire page.  I mean, if they are going to ram it in... why stop half way.  I am a huge fan of Thailand ... but sometimes I have to shake my head and just wrap it around the fact "You can not fix stupid."

Man, they will stamp the copy... Not the passport. Making it the copy a quasi-official ID. Not a bad thing.

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

the fine for not reporting by the landlord is up to 2k baht. There is no penalty for the travelling foreigner. Might as well ignore the whole circus and once in a long time pay a few hundred fine.

• Like 1

They have been doing this in Indonesia eversince i have been here 17 years
they call it S.M.P. Surat Melaporkan. its for tax purposes!

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I doubt it is only for Tax Purposes, as (If I am not mistaken) only people who are more then 180 days in a Year in Thailand would have to pay tax.

IMHO it has more to do of keeping track like, who is entering and especially where they are staying so in case of overstaying they are easily picked up.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

can they have a photocopy machine at immigration at the airport ?

charge us 100 baht for a " official photocopy" on Thai Immigration letterhead and stamp it with the date ?

opps too easy.....

Give that man a cigar ... and I mean a Havana.

However ... sadly ... WAY too easy at the airport (embassy and immigration stations)

Note to my (US)  Embassy.  Please pull your head out of your ass and spend less time criticizing Thailand and work for the people who PAY you!  Us, the F'ing tax payers! 

Is it Rocket Science for you to issue something that the Thai Government will honor?

No thinking person is going to carry their original passport complete with valid visa and travel stamps to prove border crossings and reporting ... for this lame ass reason.

And for what the embassy charges for extra pages ... not going to fill it with ridiculous "Local" stamps either.

reporting every 48 hours away from home is ridiculous... so now we aren't able to go anywhere!!

I always thought that ruling was for the Burmese and Cambodians on migrant cards.. interesting times!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As with any announcement from Immgration, I am always left with more questions than I have answers...

So are tourists here for two weeks now meant to take their passports to the beach, trekking through the jungle or in a soapy massage??

It sounds like only taking into to a soapy massage is to be optional. Although, there are zip-lock bags for the paranoid/insecure.

As with any announcement from Immgration, I am always left with more questions than I have answers...

So are tourists here for two weeks now meant to take their passports to the beach, trekking through the jungle or in a soapy massage??

the answer to your question is in the article. Read slower

And what about car and motorbike rentals who ask for passport deposit? Is this now illegal?

It always was, like many other things...

Is it illegal to ask for a passport as surety .. I think. No.

Is it illegal to keep, modify or otherwise deface a passport .. yes

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Great. They're starting to enforce the laws written before the dawn of ages. And those rules are actually in the act, so they're not going anywhere soon. Enjoy filling a form every day, oh happiness. 

You might consider that Thais, the occupants of the country which you have chosen to call 'home', have to carry their cards all the time.

It's not the card/passport. It's the reporting while in another province. I spend some time at my MIL's house in Isaan, f.ex. Buggered if I'm going to drive to the police station to fill some forms. Luckily one of wife's cousins is a copper so he'll sort it out if for some strange reason they start pestering the only farang visitor in the village. 

• Like 2

the answer to your question is in the article. Read slower

• Like 1

"Hua Hin Immigration is from today also enforcing the requirements that you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in to a new address. On your arrival card you already reported your place of stay, and if that changes you need to visit Immigration and report your new address."

......kind of a hassle for those on a tour of Thailand?

It is basically the end of the tour and most tourism.

If you touring around Thailand and sleep every night in a different location your holiday will be spending almost all your time in inmigration offices.

• Like 1

Great news for the cops down between Sukhumvit 22 and Asoke. Now they are no longer limited to smokers, they can pretty much bother any foreigner.

Oh yes, I just paid the "smoking fine" last week.

Of course ... I did not pay the entire fine ... I paid the reduced fine for "processing" the complaint. 555.  Now, at least that was a cause and effect event ... I did , in fact, throw it in the street.

This one is SO much better.

Are you a Foreigner?

Yes.

Passport please.

No have.

Give money.

OK

But for Pickpockets everywhere, rejoice!  Your day has come because on of the most marketable items around, that does not fit in a wallet ... is yours for the taking!

Happy days for you!

Thieves specializing in passports will be so thankful. No 'normal' tourist will trek to immigration to have their copy notarized, they wouldn't even know where immigration is located, so all these passports are stuffed into shorts pockets, handbags, etc. just waiting for a rip off.

And what for? The risk to Thailand from the standard short time visitor is nil. What an overreaction! And how many not aware of this rule will get fleeced? ...

• Like 1