Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

There is no discrimination here. Thais have to carry their ID card at all times too or face a fine. They also have to report travel to other province and change of residence. Don't see why expats should be allowed special rules.

All the Thai people I know never report to any one when they go see their family all across the country...not sure the many millions I don't know do report by the way  blink.png

• Like 2

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Instead of trying to suddenly enforce existing rules, they should spend their time thinking of how to make reporting as easy as possible for foreigners here. (like e.g. reporting online). It always has to involve traveling to a place, stand in a cue, pay money and lots of old fashion stamps.

Again and again, we see rules put in place or suddenly enforced, that ends up being nothing else than trouble, waste of time and just a new opening for more corruption and "the-money" for the officials having to handle it. Now the police have just been given a new way to collect. Smart move!

After begin through the time-wasting head ache of company setup, visa and work-permits here, I am now very close to having had enough of it all here. Personally, I have already started looking at the surrounding countries, where things are just so much easier and who will appreciate skilled foreigners and their money/investment.

I really do not understand the idea of making things as difficult as possible for foreigners under 50 years old to be here? What is the point? So now the idea is to hunt foreigners on the street and ensure they carry a valid ID and have reported their address correctly? And if they don't have all papers on them, then fine them THB 2.000... Great way to show people they are welcome here. 

Well, better spend half a day on getting the copy of my passport stamped tomorrow then. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid... considering I could just do a quick reporting on a website, if it is so important for them to constant track all foreigners at all time.

Prostitution is also illegal in Thailand... What about they spent some of their time on actually enforcing that rule?? This place is going down the drain, if at some point they do not start to realize that many foreigners actually have other options, when it comes to choice of living and investments.

• Like 1

UK driving licence has a photo, surely this can be used as photo ID?

It could, but question does your UK Driving License have your passport number on it ? I think that Immigration wants that so they can check your Immigration Status.

Does aThai driving licence have your passport number on it?

Yes

"Hua Hin Immigration is from today also enforcing the requirements that you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in to a new address. On your arrival card you already reported your place of stay, and if that changes you need to visit Immigration and report your new address."

......kind of a hassle for those on a tour of Thailand?

They already do this and have been doing it for years.

The hotel, guesthouse / villa owner needs to do this - not the tourist, at least that's the way it's always been.

This is why you need to provide your passport when checking into a hotel - the details are sent straight to immigration - they have a web based system for people to enter the deails, I've used it myself before.

So is this just a clampdown on the existing rule or a new rule ?

Wonder how Thais would like it if similar rules were enforced upon them when living overseas. Thais in the UK can travel freely without any of this nonsense.

I wonder how you'd feel if you had to go through a months long interview process and present your financial information and your underwear size to even get into Thailand for a holiday.  

Same as Thais must do to visit the UK.

I would prefer it if it meant more freedom when I got there. It would also keep out a lot of the scummy sex tourists and druggies that find their way into Thailand. 

• Like 1

I think it is discrimination, because a Thai does not need to carry any ID (I never have heard off any). Having said this, in many European countries EVERYBODY need to carry an ID. This for national security (as said so)

So when I leave for the 7-11: I need my moped, my cigarettes', my lighter, key of the house, phone, key of the moped, my money and now a days my ID. BUT, everybody knows who I am, where I live.... it's me and 5000 Thai people including the police.

Edited by navara

It could, but question does your UK Driving License have your passport number on it ? I think that Immigration wants that so they can check your Immigration Status.

Yes, but it doesn't give your visa status or indicate whether you are in Thailand legally.

For the sake of less than B100 and a trip to one of the print shops in every supermarket I think it is a no brainer.

What print shops in every supermarket?

I've been to Tops, Central, Foodland, Villa Market, et. al., and never seen any print shops.  Shops for making keys, yes; florists, sometimes.  But print shops?  Nary a one in sight.

Are they hidden away somewhere?

why can Immigration not just be friend with us on Facebook, that way they will know where we live, where we drink, what we like, who our friends are....oh wait...

the CIA has been doing this for year, a certain Snowden pretend that governements know everything about us so why do we still need to inform them?

• Like 2

As far as I know until now in Chiang Mai, one had to carry an ID like Driver's License or a copy of the Passport (better both) and if leaving the province Passport would be mandatory. I have stashed copies of my Passport (with last visa stamp) in all my vehicles. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Yes, but it doesn't give your visa status or indicate whether you are in Thailand legally.

yes but with the number of stamps, ninety days, re-entry permits, etc (all a full page)......there is no way your passport last as long as your driving licence. 

• Like 1

Wonder how Thais would like it if similar rules were enforced upon them when living overseas. Thais in the UK can travel freely without any of this nonsense.

Maybe so, but if Thailand imposed the sorts of rules for getting into Thailand to stay long term the UK has, one suspects a lot of the farangs living here currently wouldnt be in the country to start with.

So yes why not make it harder to get in and more free once in ..thumbsup.gif

I'm all for that. Unfortunately the toothpaste is being squeezed from both ends. 

As with any announcement from Immgration, I am always left with more questions than I have answers...

So are tourists here for two weeks now meant to take their passports to the beach, trekking through the jungle or in a soapy massage??

Certainly do. You never know who the person next to you in a police uniform is when he is covered in froth, so be prepared at all times.