Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

Does your country give an ID, the US certainly doesn't and no other country I know of does, ah, that doesn't mean much. Look, there are relatively simple ways to solve a lot of problems for us ex-pats and tourists, the problem being they are logical, to us only.

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does your country give an ID, the US certainly doesn't and no other country I know of does, ah, that doesn't mean much. Look, there are relatively simple ways to solve a lot of problems for us ex-pats and tourists, the problem being they are logical, to us only.

The US does offer an ID card for foreigners. It is called a "Green Card". But that will entitle one to get a job. Thailand doesn't want us to work in Thailand so they don't offer that option. If my Thai wife wants to come to live in the US, we can get a Green Card for her which would avoid any problems. Unfortunately, Thailand doesn't offer that option to us expats. So they make us jump through hoops and go on visa runs (maybe no more) and pay money, but we must want to stay in Thailand because it sure beats the hell out of living in the US! 

I really think that this whole thing will blow over and I don't think that there is any way that Thai immigration can handle the amount of paperwork that this whole mess will create. Law is one thing, enforcement is another!w00t.gif

Again, as with the unclear text/deffinition of, "apprehended" in the overstay issue,,,, many here are saying, if you stay in BKK,, do your 90 days report,, address,,, ok,,, ALL good,,,, so you go to Pattaya for a few days,,, check into a guest house/mom-pop hotel,,, Yes,,, upon check in,,, THEY are supposed to report your staying there to immigrations,,, but to avoid the taxes, hide your payment,, they don't,,, YOU assume they do this,,, get stopped, accident, etc, etc,,, coppers realize you've been in Pattaya 3 days,,, but you're STILL listed as living in BKK,,, YOU'RE at fault,, the way it reads,, the, "ALIEN" is to report their whereabouts within 48 hours of changing residence,,,, so although the mom/pop guest house is in the wrong for NOT reporting you checking in,,, YOU'RE still technically in the wrong,, for not reporting to local cop shop/immigrations,,, SO you're required to make SURE the hotel/guest house, etc,, abides by the law.... so again,,, huge, "tea money moment",,,, AGAIN they're leaving a LOT of interpretation up to the copper that has stopped you!

WOW that hurts my eyes.. 

Your confused.. the guesthouse must do the TM30.. Thats their responsibility. 

You must "in addition to" the above do a TM28, every time your somewhere for more than 24 hours. Thats your responsibility. 

If you think that this is incorrect reading of the law, please explain how on a long stay visa we must also do the 90 day report, and the aliens resposibilites clearly shows the TM28 and TM47 as both being the aliens task, if the TM 30 covered it we wouldnt need to be doing 90 day reports, the accommodation would be doing it for us. 

Ok, here's a couple of questions. I live in a house in Hua Hin, I rent it from the owner and my details have been entered directly on the immigration website.

What happens if  I go away for a weekend to a different province ? Do I then become registered somewhere else ?

For example I went to Bangkok for about 5 or 6 days last month. The hotel I stayed in will have reported my presence there to immigration, I have no doubt about that.

Does this mean that when I return to Hua Hin the house owner needs to re-enter my details into the online immigration system and I also need to go down to the immigration office and fill out this new form ?

If this is the case then I'm guessing that I would need to do this every time I go to Bangkok for a long weekend, potentially when I arrive in Bangkok and when I return to Hua Hin.

If for a period longer than 24 hours, and before 48 hours.. Is the law.. What the interpretation will be, is currently anyones guess. 

Why can't immigration produce some sort of temporary ID card for the tourist which is valid for the duration of the visa?

Because that would be helpful.

For tourists it would likely be prohibitively expensive, but an expat ID card (like HK and Malaysia have) would certainly be a smart idea, renew each year when you do your extension.

The immigration computer system could easily print a 'receipt' on entry with all pertinent details which could then be carried in the tourist's wallet. It would of course need some form of anti-forgery device (paper watermarks etc).

Don't understand why people are getting bent out of shape; Thais have to carry ID so why not you? It clearly states: PP, cert copy or license. Hence you don't need to carry PP if you have a Thai license. It has always been like this as long as I've been here. The ongoing 24 hour reporting kind of stinks, as does the 90 day. Guess they could (should) make it easier for legit long termers, but that's for another discussion. Perhaps they should kick us all out and put us out of our misery. :)

Don't understand why people are getting bent out of shape; Thais have to carry ID so why not you? It clearly states: PP, cert copy or license. Hence you don't need to carry PP if you have a Thai license. It has always been like this as long as I've been here. The ongoing 24 hour reporting kind of stinks, as does the 90 day. Guess they could (should) make it easier for legit long termers, but that's for another discussion. Perhaps they should kick us all out and put us out of our misery. smile.png

Unfortunately HH immigration have 'clarified' the rules here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747424-hua-hin-immigration-clarifies-rules-on-foreigners-carrying-id/ only an original passport will do.

is it just me or do others detect a "trend" here?

Yes the trend is that many offices do something to look good to their superiors. Of course, the laws have always been in place.

At least that confirms that unlike some parrot has been claiming, keeping the original passport all the time, it NOT the law.

So this is wrong????

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747424-hua-hin-immigration-clarifies-rules-on-foreigners-carrying-id/?utm_source=newsletter-20140730-1647&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breaking

Ok, here's a couple of questions. I live in a house in Hua Hin, I rent it from the owner and my details have been entered directly on the immigration website.

What happens if  I go away for a weekend to a different province ? Do I then become registered somewhere else ?

For example I went to Bangkok for about 5 or 6 days last month. The hotel I stayed in will have reported my presence there to immigration, I have no doubt about that.

Does this mean that when I return to Hua Hin the house owner needs to re-enter my details into the online immigration system and I also need to go down to the immigration office and fill out this new form ?

If this is the case then I'm guessing that I would need to do this every time I go to Bangkok for a long weekend, potentially when I arrive in Bangkok and when I return to Hua Hin.

Apparently so

A clarification from Bangkok this time:

"He added that starting from August 29, foreigners who failed to produce their passports would be fined up to Bt20,000 and jailed for up to two years."

The fact that it says "failed to produce" and not "failed to carry on their person." is just more proof that this is much to do about nothing, because it is the exact same wording they have always used. The police have always defined "able to produce." as in if it's at home or the office, someone brings it to you while you wait if for some reason they don't accept your PP photocopy and or Thai DL.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747534-august-29-heavy-new-penalties-await-visa-overstays-thai-immigration/?utm_source=newsletter-20140731-0747&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Edited by NomadJoe

"He added that starting from August 29, foreigners who failed to produce their passports would be fined up to Bt20,000 and jailed for up to two years."

The fact that it says "failed to produce" and not "failed to carry on their person." is just more proof that this is much to do about nothing, because it is the exact same wording they have always used. The police have always defined "able to produce." as in if it's at home or the office, someone brings it to you while you wait if for some reason they don't accept your PP photocopy and or Thai DL.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747534-august-29-heavy-new-penalties-await-visa-overstays-thai-immigration/?utm_source=newsletter-20140731-0747&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

So why can't we just use the same rule for fail to carry? Ie come back to my hotel to see.

OK, so who "brings it" when you, exercising normal caution against loss or theft, are a tourist and have it safely locked in your safe in your hotel room? Will they let you go get it?  And why all the folderol in the first place when the requirement IS that the hotel must have photocopied it and submitted it when you checked in?!

....unless this is more about indulging some spastic xenophobic caprice and/or collecting baht from us walking ATMs, than it is about verifying our legal presence in the country?

Hmmmm?

Go on.  Keep this up.  Watch what happens.

I have been looking all evening for the law pertaining to the carrying of ID at all times. I doubt that it specifically mentions that Farangs should carry their passports at all times (even if it doesn't, it's up to Immigration to decide what qualifies as an ID. Any ideas, please?

I haven't found anything else except what I mentioned earlier, that it might be a part of the National Identity Card Act, of which I've been unable to find the actual text of. That would very likely affect Thais and foreigners alike.

A guy on the Buriram expats forum tells us that

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/act_imm_2522.html

contains the relevant articles, in Thai only. According to Starman, the following is a quote:

The Immigration Act states that all "aliens" must carry a passport. The reason for this is that visa/extension of stay status cannot be checked on any ID other than a passport.

The Identity Card Act states that all persons must carry a photo-ID (including Thais).

http://www.buriramexpats.com/forum/index.php?topic=7872.msg49881;topicseen#new

"If the aliens travel to any province and will stay longer than 24 hours, such aliens must notify the police official..."

Is this rules is for ALL foreigners and tourist or only for foreigners actually living in Thailand.

So I stay with my girlfriend in ChiangMai and want to see her family in Isaan, I need to tell the police about it ?

Or IF I just want to go in the south to get my ass more brown, I need to tell too ?

I remember my first time in Thailand, I've been in Bangkok 1 week, then Chiang Mai 2 weeks, South 3 weeks, Isaan 1 week. Is that mean everytime from now on I need to tell a police officer about it ?

Or else they can fine me a 2000 Baht ?

So is many police officer will stop me in the street while walking with my girlfriend just to ask me my ID and hoping I don't have it so had to pay them 2 000 baht, but maybe they will just said give me 1 000 baht and I let you go ???

"If the aliens travel to any province and will stay longer than 24 hours, such aliens must notify the police official..."

Is this rules is for ALL foreigners and tourist or only for foreigners actually living in Thailand.

So I stay with my girlfriend in ChiangMai and want to see her family in Isaan, I need to tell the police about it ?

Or IF I just want to go in the south to get my ass more brown, I need to tell too ?

I remember my first time in Thailand, I've been in Bangkok 1 week, then Chiang Mai 2 weeks, South 3 weeks, Isaan 1 week. Is that mean everytime from now on I need to tell a police officer about it ?

So is many police officer will stop me in the street while walking with my girlfriend just to ask me my ID and hoping I don't have it so had to pay them 2 000 baht, but maybe they will just said give me 1 000 baht and I let you go ???

Calm down, nothing like that has ever happened and will never happen.

In Thailand like everywhere else there are two types of officers, those that get on occasional power trips and talk like that (I don't know if they even believe themselves what they say), and normal, reasonable officers or gov. public servants, etc. Like http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

One can just hope that the second kind remain the majority and keep running the game.

OK, so who "brings it" when you, exercising normal caution against loss or theft, are a tourist and have it safely locked in your safe in your hotel room? Will they let you go get it?  And why all the folderol in the first place when the requirement IS that the hotel must have photocopied it and submitted it when you checked in?!

....unless this is more about indulging some spastic xenophobic caprice and/or collecting baht from us walking ATMs, than it is about verifying our legal presence in the country?

Hmmmm?

Go on.  Keep this up.  Watch what happens.

and if in the case of being detained by Thailands finest, one makes a call to said hotel, talk to the manager, inform him you are being detained by Thailands finest, tell them what room your in and ask them to retrieve said passport for the room safe and bring it to you, and if your Thai language skills are not up to snuff as regards giving the location or address, I am sure the BiB who is detaining you will gladly talk to the manager for you and provide directions to your current location. 

you really dont think a hotel cant get the safes they provide open do you ?

not hard

A lot of posters on TV remind of people I have worked with over the years always whinging and finding problems in everything, making excuses of how a simple problem cant be solved.

Calm down, nothing like that has ever happened and will never happen.

In Thailand like everywhere else there are two types of officers, those that get on occasional power trips and talk like that (I don't know if they even believe themselves what they say), and normal, reasonable officers or gov. public servants, etc. Like http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

One can just hope that the second kind remain the majority and keep running the game.

I don't know why you think it can't happen. Hotels are supposed to report as are land lords when foreigners move around. Problem comes with foreigners having visitors to their houses to visit.

Its archaic and its the law. Its just a simple way to catch u for something if the police have bothered to come and get u

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why is anybody even taking this crap seriously?

Probably because it isn't.

Inconvenient yes, but serious, don't think so..........................wink.png