Canadian Journalist Shot Dead By Girlfriend In Chiang Mai

Jai Dee

Canadian journalist shot dead by girlfriend in Chiang Mai

A Canadian journalist living in Chiang Mai was shot to death by his girlfriend during an argument, police said Monday.

George Patrick Dubie, 52, was killed on Sunday night by his girlfriend, Margaret Crane, 48, who was detained shortly after the shooting.

Dubie had been working as a freelance journalist for CNN, but the CNN Bureau in Bangkok said they had no knowledge of the man, police said.

According to witnesses, the couple met at a restaurant in downtown Chiang Mai and had a big argument when the woman pulled out a pistol and opened fire three times before fleeing in a car.

Source: The Nation - 3 July 2006

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it's open season nationwide

Thought it was 12th August that the shooting season started?

Condolences to family, a farang on the run in Thailand should be quickly caught based on recent headlines - a FEMALE farang on the run should be even easier to locate..... in theory.

Canadian journalist shot dead by girlfriend in Chiang Mai

According to witnesses, the couple met at a restaurant in downtown Chiang Mai and had a big argument when the woman pulled out a pistol and opened fire three times before fleeing in a car.

Source: The Nation - 3 July 2006

If witness’s reports were true, then she already dressed to kills. Good chances the police will find the murder weapon & how a foreigner got one.

Last night aroud 11.00 p.m. An American famouse guide was killed by his foreginer ex girl friend. And because of he was a customer of ICO law frim. Now ICO taking care everything. OH my god.

Ironic that they are " taking care everything. " When the word on the street, not happy with them.

"Oh my God" is correct.

Takes a lot for a female farang to go out and buy a gun in Thailand!

How much a gun cost ? She didn't bring it with her on the airplane.

me guess infadelity?

me guess greed and fear

Edited by Followthemoneyshares

I could be next onthe list. Woke up after watching Brazil game in some bar with Girfriend tigging on my leg. Was really pleased to see hir until I fully woke and realised my ex girlfriend was lying on the bed beside me. I'm keeping my head down wish me luck cos she like all Thai ladies are a classic example of hel_l hath no Fury....rather face the hoodlums on Pataya back roads

Must be rough being a 48 year old farang woman in Thailand. No action for her and no way to keep her man's eye from wandering. A farang woman just can't compete with a young thai girl.

Now in a western country, marriage or no willing lovely young girls will keep a middle aged man in his place. But in Thailand, too much temptation for an older man. We can read between the lines why the farang woman shot her BF.

:o

Must be rough being a 48 year old farang woman in Thailand. No action for her and no way to keep her man's eye from wandering. A farang woman just can't compete with a young thai girl.

Now in a western country, marriage or no willing lovely young girls will keep a middle aged man in his place. But in Thailand, too much temptation for an older man. We can read between the lines why the farang woman shot her BF.

:D

:o same old same old. When will you guys ever learn? How do you know there is no action for her? How do you know her boyfriend was so shallow he couldn't keep it in his pants?

All supposition when the only facts we know are the ones already printed.

Having noted the death of a fellow-kiwi in thepast couple of days, plus this incident, I now feel some form of Life Insurance is essential... I'm off down the market later to buy a new vase, and a big bunch of roses for MY girlfriend!!!

She's pretty feisty, so it makes sense to chalk up a few brownie points I reckon! May even treat her to a visit to the hairdressers, take her for a (real) masage, buy her a nice dinner...

Hey - you guys don't think this type of out-of-character activity could inadvertently cause her to suspect a guilty conscience, do you??? :o

Looks like it's open season nationwide

Thought it was 12th August that the shooting season started?

Condolences to family, a farang on the run in Thailand should be quickly caught based on recent headlines - a FEMALE farang on the run should be even easier to locate..... in theory.

if you read the post VERY carefully,.....it says that the woman has been detained by the police

Having noted the death of a fellow-kiwi in thepast couple of days, plus this incident, I now feel some form of Life Insurance is essential... I'm off down the market later to buy a new vase, and a big bunch of roses for MY girlfriend!!!

She's pretty feisty, so it makes sense to chalk up a few brownie points I reckon! May even treat her to a visit to the hairdressers, take her for a (real) masage, buy her a nice dinner...

Hey - you guys don't think this type of out-of-character activity could inadvertently cause her to suspect a guilty conscience, do you??? :o

the quickest way to the heart of a Thai lady, is not to buy flowers,or chocolate.....a large bag of insects will be best...

I could be next onthe list. Woke up after watching Brazil game in some bar with Girfriend tigging on my leg. Was really pleased to see hir until I fully woke and realised my ex girlfriend was lying on the bed beside me. I'm keeping my head down wish me luck cos she like all Thai ladies are a classic example of hel_l hath no Fury....rather face the hoodlums on Pataya back roads

Whatever you get, you deserve!!

What a world. So much despair and death these days. Or is it only because we have the ,,total information,, that we think there are so many incidents?

In my condo in Pattaya yesterday a 40 year old Dutch man was found. He had cut his wrist arteries and was lying there in his blood already for some days.

My condolences are with any of the violently passed away ones and their families.

Well, do u have a guilty conscience??

Bear in mind before any Thai girls goes for foreigners & Farangs she had already gone thru bad experiences in her earlier life. They were either cheated or jilted & everyone one of them had sad stories. :o

Some might not be as sincere that foreigners thought. They can be good lovers & great companions, but when 2 persons stay together it could be totally different. Mistakenly many foreign men thought money can buy everything, yet many had forgotten to realise what’s in the lady’s mind. :D

Update:

Canadian journalist killed in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- A Canadian journalist living in northern Thailand has been shot to death, police said Monday.

Police Colonel Chamnan Raudrew said George Patrick Dubie, 52, was slain Sunday night.

The police officer said Mr. Dubie had been working as a freelance journalist for CNN, but the CNN Bureau in Bangkok said they had no knowledge of the man.

Witnesses told police the man and a woman met at a restaurant in downtown Chiang Mai and were locked in a heated argument when the woman pulled out a pistol and opened fire three times before fleeing in a car.

Police set checkpoints and arrested Margaret Crane, 48.

“She only said that the victim is a freelancer for CNN but refused to answer questions about the shooting,” Col. Chamnan said.

Chiang Mai is located about 580 kilometres north of Bangkok.

In another killing of a foreigner, police said Leonard Healey, 33, from New Zealand, was stabbed to death Sunday by a Thai teenager in a love quarrel over Mr. Healey's Thai girlfriend.

Police Captain Thanapath Sookmee said police were searching for Winai Saisudjai, a 19-year-old clerk who had an argument with Mr. Healey.

Mr. Healey had been teaching English at a secondary school in Thailand for several years, police said.

--AP 2006-07-03

the quickest way to the heart of a Thai lady, is not to buy flowers,or chocolate.....a large bag of insects will be best...

They will kisses your head to toes giving bag of insects, they loves eating insects! Insects are not cheap here nowadays. :o

Buying her everything she likes to win her, in return got her pampering you? Good luck & wishes you success my friend! You just taught her to be possessive over you. :D

:o same old same old. When will you guys ever learn? How do you know there is no action for her? How do you know her boyfriend was so shallow he couldn't keep it in his pants?

SBK, I fully support your comments and furthermore it was a stupid post by Thaistyx albeit one reflecting the view of many downmarket farangs (Pattaya rifraff and other sex tourist types etc).

Among my friends in Bangkok there are many happily married farang couples of all ages, including some in their late 40's and 50's.None of the guys are interested in throwing it all up for a young Thai girl, although as we all know many are very desirable.

Absolutely right, sbk.

The police will find out it was a case of bad PMS?

...just joking - ok? :D

Hmm..

me guess infadelity?

Mebe - you think?

Takes a lot for a female farang to go out and buy a gun in Thailand!

Here we go again. Why assume that she has gone out and bought a gun ?

I don't rate the investigative powers of the nation's finest as being very high but I don't think that they should be worried too much about the competition from one or two of the posters to this thread.

Admittedly whether it was bought, borrowed or stolen the result however would appear to be the same.

SBK, I fully support your comments and furthermore it was a stupid post by Thaistyx albeit one reflecting the view of many downmarket farangs (Pattaya rifraff and other sex tourist types etc).

Among my friends in Bangkok there are many happily married farang couples of all ages, including some in their late 40's and 50's.None of the guys are interested in throwing it all up for a young Thai girl, although as we all know many are very desirable.

Nice comment. There is a truly staggering amount of stereotyping that goes on on this board.