Canadian Journalist Shot Dead By Girlfriend In Chiang Mai

Jai Dee

Must be rough being a 48 year old farang woman in Thailand. No action for her and no way to keep her man's eye from wandering. A farang woman just can't compete with a young thai girl.

Now in a western country, marriage or no willing lovely young girls will keep a middle aged man in his place. But in Thailand, too much temptation for an older man. We can read between the lines why the farang woman shot her BF.

:D

:o same old same old. When will you guys ever learn? How do you know there is no action for her? How do you know her boyfriend was so shallow he couldn't keep it in his pants?

All supposition when the only facts we know are the ones already printed.

Well said SBK.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be rough being a 48 year old farang woman in Thailand. No action for her and no way to keep her man's eye from wandering. A farang woman just can't compete with a young thai girl.

Now in a western country, marriage or no willing lovely young girls will keep a middle aged man in his place. But in Thailand, too much temptation for an older man. We can read between the lines why the farang woman shot her BF.

:D same old same old. When will you guys ever learn? How do you know there is no action for her? How do you know her boyfriend was so shallow he couldn't keep it in his pants?

All supposition when the only facts we know are the ones already printed.

SBK, I fully support your comments and furthermore it was a stupid post by Thaistyx albeit one reflecting the view of many downmarket farangs (Pattaya rifraff and other sex tourist types etc).

Among my friends in Bangkok there are many happily married farang couples of all ages, including some in their late 40's and 50's.None of the guys are interested in throwing it all up for a young Thai girl, although as we all know many are very desirable.

==============================================================

EXCUSE ME ?!?! - but do some people always have to associate murder & mayhem with PATTAY ? ? ?

Too bad about that one (1) generalism, because the rest of what you wrote is actually quiet sensible (for an obvious moron !) :o

Decently Pattaya'n

Jaap Klasema

Condolences to family, a farang on the run in Thailand should be quickly caught based on recent headlines - a FEMALE farang on the run should be even easier to locate..... in theory.

The story says she is in custody. Does that sound like "on the run" to you?

I could be next onthe list. Woke up after watching Brazil game in some bar with Girfriend tigging on my leg. Was really pleased to see hir until I fully woke and realised my ex girlfriend was lying on the bed beside me. I'm keeping my head down wish me luck cos she like all Thai ladies are a classic example of hel_l hath no Fury....rather face the hoodlums on Pataya back roads

:D:o

I really DO wish you luck! You will need it.

Women are a bit like elephants, -- they never forget.

Once they start throwing up that sort grief its time to move on. Preferably far away, like a new town where she cant find you.

:o

So if they have a good enough reason, such as this one, its ok?

Looks like it's open season nationwide

Thought it was 12th August that the shooting season started?

Condolences to family, a farang on the run in Thailand should be quickly caught based on recent headlines - a FEMALE farang on the run should be even easier to locate..... in theory.

if you read the post VERY carefully,.....it says that the woman has been detained by the police

Yup - spotted that AFTER I posted

Am just back from an interview with a very nice Thai Police spokeswoman at Phra Singh police station - all of the above suppositions (by everyone) are wrong.

i.e. -

- where the gun came from

- where the gun is now

- why the argument

- how she got the gun

- reason for the shooting

I got the info direct from the police, but won't share it until I've filed the story (don't want scooped)

Gaz

(a card-carrying REGISTERED foreign correspondent in Thailand - unlike some I could name)

Update:

Canadian journalist killed in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- A Canadian journalist living in northern Thailand has been shot to death, police said Monday.

Police Colonel Chamnan Raudrew said George Patrick Dubie, 52, was slain Sunday night.

The police officer said Mr. Dubie had been working as a freelance journalist for CNN, but the CNN Bureau in Bangkok said they had no knowledge of the man.

Witnesses told police the man and a woman met at a restaurant in downtown Chiang Mai and were locked in a heated argument when the woman pulled out a pistol and opened fire three times before fleeing in a car.

Police set checkpoints and arrested Margaret Crane, 48.

“She only said that the victim is a freelancer for CNN but refused to answer questions about the shooting,” Col. Chamnan said.

Chiang Mai is located about 580 kilometres north of Bangkok.

In another killing of a foreigner, police said Leonard Healey, 33, from New Zealand, was stabbed to death Sunday by a Thai teenager in a love quarrel over Mr. Healey's Thai girlfriend.

Police Captain Thanapath Sookmee said police were searching for Winai Saisudjai, a 19-year-old clerk who had an argument with Mr. Healey.

Mr. Healey had been teaching English at a secondary school in Thailand for several years, police said.

--AP 2006-07-03

this is what seems funny to me..a foreigner murders a foreigner..and road blocks are set up..and murderer caught..foreigner gets murdered by a thai and were still searching..a couple of days before that a foreign girl was murdered outside a bar by a thai..were the murderers of the girl caught in this case yet..either..so in a few days we should expect another foreigner murder at this rate ?

:o Not sure that attacks on Farangs have increased, maybe they are being reported more often now.

Poor chap.

RIP

Maybe the violence in Thailand needs a little perspective. In Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA (population 500,000), there were 26 shootings over the weekend of May 27-29. This weekend (July 1-4), there have already been 15 shootings. And the extended weekend is only half way finished.

Also, Milwaukee has a reputation as being a good place to live.

OK statisticians, mount your calculators, and go figure.

Otis

Pics from thairath.co.th:

The killed Canadian and his Thai wife.

The apparent murder: The western ex-wife.

The top pix show the fallen Canadian with his Thai wife & the other pix his ex-wife in police custody?

Any idea exactly what restaurant this happened in?

I still believe Thailand is a nice country with friendly people, I live in South Africa, here we had about 18000 murders last year, South Africa is one of the worlds worst and dangerous place, I will be moving to Thailand soon, I am married to a Thai lady and have a small 1 year old baby daughter, since I believe Thailand is a better and safer counrty I can't wait to get there.

I know every country has its problems, we have a saying here that " if you mingle with pig food, the pigs will eat you", so beware of whom you mingle with is my motto.

pic_8.jpg

pic_9.jpg

Now that is curious - the Phra Singh police mentioned nothing about a Thai wife - they said the Canadian was his wife - wonder if Thai Rath have got it wrong? Do they mean his estranged wife and Thai girlfriend? And which one of them was mother to the daughter that the police told me about?

Here is my own translation of the Thai captions (any mistakes my own responsibility):

pic_8.jpg

The victim's Thai wife Mrs. Prachaya Phornmonpeng, hugging the dead body of her husband Daniel Ruby George Patrick, a successful American businessman and special correspondent for CNN who was shot dead by a hitman.

pic_9.jpg

Mrs. Margaret Gena Kent, Canadian suspected of shooting Mr. Daniel Ruby George Patrick, her ex husband, an American businessman. She is now held by police and still denies the charges.(?)

The last two words of the second caption does not make any sense to me (but since they may be misspelling of 'deny' I used that hypothesis). I suspect a faulty spellchecker or some printing error at the newspaper.

[EDIT: If the AP info is reliable, it turns out Thai Rath have managed to mess up 1. The victim's actual name. 2. The victim's nationality. 3. The Canadian suspect's name. 4. The last part of the final sentence. They may also have missed the marital status and relations between all the three involved parties.]

pic_8.jpg

pic_9.jpg

SOME FACTS......

This is NOT his Thai wife, but girlfriend. They are NOT married.

This is NOT his Canadian wife though he did father her 6 children.

His ex-wife ( divorced last 18 months ) is Geri Cvitanovich-Dubie, one of the original 4 people who started Herbalife International. $$$$$

Do a Google search using one of his aliases, Daniel Dubie, to find out more.

Hmm..

me guess infadelity?

Mebe - you think?

Takes a lot for a female farang to go out and buy a gun in Thailand!

Here we go again. Why assume that she has gone out and bought a gun ?

I don't rate the investigative powers of the nation's finest as being very high but I don't think that they should be worried too much about the competition from one or two of the posters to this thread.

Admittedly whether it was bought, borrowed or stolen the result however would appear to be the same.

Maybe she borrowed the gun from her police boyfriend. :o:D:D

pic_8.jpg

pic_9.jpg

SOME FACTS......

This is NOT his Thai wife, but girlfriend. They are NOT married.

This is NOT his Canadian wife though he did father her 6 children.

His ex-wife ( divorced last 18 months ) is Geri Cvitanovich-Dubie, one of the original 4 people who started Herbalife International. $$$$$

Do a Google search using one of his aliases, Daniel Dubie, to find out more.

Quite a character....from Google..

Daniel Dubie

Daniel Dubie is a modern day Charles Manson and Jim Jones in this respect.

He literally goes around the world telling people he is Jesus and actually convinces them to give him millions of dollars.

Are you skeptical? Well – wait till you read what I am about to hit you with........its all there...Case solved.....have a go..... :o

Here is my own translation of the Thai captions (any mistakes my own responsibility):

pic_8.jpg

The victim's Thai wife Mrs. Prachaya Phornmonpeng, hugging the dead body of her husband Daniel Ruby George Patrick, a successful American businessman and special correspondent for CNN who was shot dead by a hitman.

pic_9.jpg

Mrs. Margaret Gena Kent, Canadian suspected of shooting Mr. Daniel Ruby George Patrick, her ex husband, an American businessman. She is now held by police and still denies the charges.(?)

The last two words of the second caption does not make any sense to me (but since they may be misspelling of 'deny' I used that hypothesis). I suspect a faulty spellchecker or some printing error at the newspaper.

[EDIT: If the AP info is reliable, it turns out Thai Rath have managed to mess up 1. The victim's actual name. 2. The victim's nationality. 3. The Canadian suspect's name. 4. The last part of the final sentence. They may also have missed the marital status and relations between all the three involved parties.]

His exwife

http://www.internetnextstep.com/upline/200...s_herbalife.htm

http://living-freer.tripod.com/geri.htm

"Daniel"

Scroll down and see his picture under the heading

April 9-18 -- Rishikesh

http://www.parmarth.com/updates/aprilmay2003/index.html

This video was edited by Jon Onuma "Jade" who stayed at "Daniels" house

http://www.findkristen.com/34.html

Jon "Jade" was also on Americas Most Wanted

http://www.findkristen.com/Index.html

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4685348965400977888

Canadian journalist shot dead by girlfriend in Chiang Mai

A Canadian journalist living in Chiang Mai was shot to death by his girlfriend during an argument, police said Monday.

George Patrick Dubie, 52, was killed on Sunday night by his girlfriend, Margaret Crane, 48, who was detained shortly after the shooting.

Dubie had been working as a freelance journalist for CNN, but the CNN Bureau in Bangkok said they had no knowledge of the man, police said.

According to witnesses, the couple met at a restaurant in downtown Chiang Mai and had a big argument when the woman pulled out a pistol and opened fire three times before fleeing in a car.

Source: The Nation - 3 July 2006

How is it that nearly every email I receive from Thaivisa gives me a link to a dead farang!!!!!!!

The death rate must be one of the highest for foreiners abroad!!!!!!!!