Hua Hin Immigration clarifies rules on foreigners carrying ID

Can the police jail you if they catch you not carrying passport. I had this problem in Shizuoka city, Japan.

So far the penalty quoted is 2000 baht. But it doesn't say how many times in a row they can penalize you. Like you taking every step forwards at 2k/pop until your ATM card runs dry.

It ought to be in the law, whatever law that is. Next time ThaiVisa staff go visit the immigration, please do ask what the actual law governing this is.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not good news for Brits, looking at the fiasco of our passport renewal process.

Been here for xx years (lots) and not going to start carrying it now.

But must admit totally expected and I'm sure this isn't the end of it. It will probably get worse.

I just renewed one of my passports, I found the whole procedure pretty painless. It did take 10 weeks for my new passport to arrive, but other than that I didnt have much problem. I have been coming here for 34 years and have generally always carried my passport with me, On the other hand I have never, in all those years been stopped and asked to show my passport.

regards

I have no problem being required to carry ID on me at all times in Thailand. However, carrying my passport with me at all times just isn't practical. What if it gets lost or stolen?

Isn't my Thai driving license and work permit already enough identification?

Or how about giving farangs some kind of ID card same as they do with people from Laos and Myanmar?

Because TIT (This is Thailand) and the law is what ever the police, officer, Immigration and government says it is :)

I agree that after a certain amount of time, say three consecutive annual extensions, expats could be issued an ID card. I've been here for 10 years on retirement extensions, but I'm really just a tourist -in the eyes of the law- and technically must carry my passport with me at all times. One of the reasons I'm considering moving back to the USA.

But its a potential nice little earner for some ambitious 'enforcement' persons :)

• Like 2

In these days of phones having cameras I take a picture of my Passport's details page and a picture of my Visa expiry date and as every page is numbered anyone can see it is from the same Passport. I would rather pay 2000Baht then maybe pay for a week in Bangkok (I am in Phuket) if my Passport was lost, stolen or damaged. I do understand Immigration and if necessary a friend could collect my Passport and take it to the Police station if they detained me.

• Like 1

You would have thought that considering the fact that false passports that were stolen in Thailand were highlighted in the loss of the Malaysian Airlines flight, that it might have been helpful to allow other options. ( eg drivers licences etc. )

As it stands now then, every scumbag intent on stealing passports for dubious reasons, can be reasonably sure that every bag left on a beach whist going for a swim, or unguarded item in a restaurant / shop etc. contains the object of his/her desire ! MADNESS !!!

• Like 1

You would have thought that considering the fact that false passports that were stolen in Thailand were highlighted in the loss of the Malaysian Airlines flight, that it might have been helpful to allow other options. ( eg drivers licences etc. )

As it stands now then, every scumbag intent on stealing passports for dubious reasons, can be reasonably sure that every bag left on a beach whist going for a swim, or unguarded item in a restaurant / shop etc. contains the object of his/her desire ! MADNESS !!!

this is about passports not the object of desire I Phone.

I reckon I'm going to breach this rule then and pay up the 2k when caught. Replacing the passport with all it's stamps if it's stolen is a far larger risk.

I agree,, and exactly how does carrying your original passport around with you help the authorities keep track of criminals and overstayers? It doesn't, unless the police are going to stop every single foreigner of the street every day. And if you are an overstayer and you know you are more likely to be checked then you leave it at home and pay the 2000 baht,,,

The way to keep track is to pull all of the overstayers off the system (it must be there somewhere to show they should have gone home).

As for criminals where does it say in your passport that you are a criminal? 

i don't mind carrying around a form of ID but this is pointless.

• Like 1

I reckon I'm going to breach this rule then and pay up the 2k when caught. Replacing the passport with all it's stamps if it's stolen is a far larger risk.

Agree 100%, will do the same, but I take comfort from the text "may result in 2000 thb fine", so I think there will be some leniency as in (maybe) showing your passport in a reasonable time frame.

Yeah I am sure you have had a lot of dealings with Lower Sukhimvit cops with that thinking.. 

• Like 1

Suggest that people photograph the important bits of passport with their mobile phone. If you are stopped in Hua Hin, tell the police, that the original is in the Indian Embassy or equivalent. Probably get off for a 1,000. 

Edited by Peung

I am currently in Saudi Arabia on a business trip, and I have to be carrying my passport at all times, I have being doing this for the last 14 years, and have never lost nor damaged any of my passports during those years, and yes I also caries my passport in Thailand, and elsewhere I am traveling, I see in Thailand they "only" giving you a fine for not having the passport with you, here in KSA they will detain you until  someone will come with the passport to get you out of jail, and yes they (Police) is checking you randomly in road block and in shopping areas, they have a lot of overstaying and illegal working forces, here which they are deporting in huge numbers. over the last year 2 millions have been deported.

I have been visiting Thailand over the same period of 14 years, and are now living there permanently on retirement extension basic.

I'm living in Cha Am district and therefore are using Hua Hin IM, I have always reported my return to them upon entering Thailand on first working day, upon arrival to replace the 90 days slip.

I have never reported my stay in varies private homes I have visited during my time in Thailand so this is new to me.

I'll take the 2,000 baht fine.

Carrying around a passport as identification is utter nonsense, people on non-b /retirement visa etc. should be issued an ID card 

I agree that after a certain amount of time, say three consecutive annual extensions, expats could be issued an ID card. I've been here for 10 years on retirement extensions, but I'm really just a tourist -in the eyes of the law- and technically must carry my passport with me at all times. One of the reasons I'm considering moving back to the USA.

Really? Your considering moving back to the USA because of the law that is very rarely if ever actually enforced. 

Am I the only one that is confused now.  The statement released yesterday from PKK immigration clearly stated all foreigners/aliens must carry ID.  No problem at all.  Has always been the case.  They even went as far as to specify the type of ID that is acceptable.  Quite clearly a Thai Driving Licence, a certified by Immigration copy of passport (which from today's announcement is not possible) or the original passport.  No problem with that.  However within 24 hours that has now been changed to only the original passport being valid.  Am very concerned about this as (a) I have a tendency to lose things (b) any one looking to get hold of a European, North American or Australian (ie non Thai, Cambodian, Myanmar passport) just has to target any female with a handbag, or man with a bulging pocket to get one (can see a boom in 'man bags' as my husband certainly can't fit passport, wallet, cigarettes and phone into his trouser or shirt pockets) (c) when, I for instance, play golf (private land), the only safe place to leave the passport is in the car (I have twice been subject to theft on a golf course here out of the buggy).  Also, what happens if you check into a hotel and they keep the passport for 24 hours or until the next morning as some do.  Is one confined to hotel?  

Surely a DL or a certified copy and then producing the original within a certain amount of time would suffice?

The message I take away is that district immigration offices are being kept on tighter leash.

Prachuab probably got one of the first visits, because of it's proximity to Bangkok and the size of the 'customer base' here. But I'll bet the other offices get the same talking-to.

Net result is less flexibility for us, and some officials inadvertently getting themselves in the position of issuing statements like those of the last two days.

It's telling that the office here felt they had to endorse the stricter interpretation when pressed for clarification. I'll carry mine for the moment. After that, we'll see.

Agree 100%, will do the same, but I take comfort from the text "may result in 2000 thb fine", so I think there will be some leniency as in (maybe) showing your passport in a reasonable time frame.

Yeah I am sure you have had a lot of dealings with Lower Sukhimvit cops with that thinking.. 

Nope.

I reckon a Thai DL will be ok

Not according to the higher rank officer that explicitly denied what a more accommodating one said yesterday.

Edited by paz

I would also not carry mine. I have a DL and a copy - that will have to do.

I don't think we should ask for clarification on these things. I had a boss who always used to say - in the 50/50 situations better to do what you think and if you get into *hit then apologise profusely - if you ask authority they must spell out the letter of the law, hence the answer will be in the negative or the least desirable.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

• Like 2

I sense a rising rebellion of farangs against injustice, rightly so. You will stomped into mud. Thais and this government in particular don't care one bit for us or apparently even our money now. Immigration knows full well 'we' do not carry passport for good reasons. Why do I feel this is directed toward "western" type farangs and not Asian? Paranoia, yea that's it, paranoia. I foresee a lot of Issan women losing their ATM's. I won't be carrying my passport on me either, I will carry an extra 2,000 baht. The reality of things is we have no power, we have to wait and see and perhaps activate those dusty contingency plans we thought we would never have to use.
  • Like 2

The "new" regulations are totally in line with International Practices.  In Indonesia, if stopped without your original passport, your next stop is the Police Station.  You can wait for someone to bring you your original passport then they slap a fine for not having your passport wih you.  I'm all for having original documents with you all the time.  It may help weed out some undesirables.  Just my 2 Baht worth.  Flame if you wish, but the Law's the Law.

• Like 1

A passport is meant as a travel document to another country and not as a identification document! It could be used for that, but only for real tourists and not for foreigners living here. They should be issued an id card or something.

That would indeed be nice. I've read about a "pink" ID card given to PR holders ? I already have a Thai ID number, came with my yellow Thabian Baan. Now all they need to do is to allow that same number to be used in a temporary ID card. Solved, I'll happily carry that around all the time.

Edited by DrTuner

Agreed

Let's see, I had to renew a passport recently....

11 thousand THB (would have been more if the previous was stolen).

Then - of course - had to arrange for my visa and stamps to be transferred to the new passport - (had a lawyer handle it, haven't seen the bill yet).

All in all, I think I could probably say safely that getting caught 7-8 times without it would be cheaper than having it stolen.

Hmmm.....

While I can appreciate the requirement to carry some form of photo ID, carrying a passport at all times is impractical and bonkers imho......crazy.gif

I'm off to Hua Hin in a couple of days with the family, any idea if this is actually going to be enforced e.g. checkpoints?

I'd play safe if I were you. With a 2,000 baht bounty on our heads for not carrying, we are all likely to get a shake-down.

Im asking myself how is it possible to carry a passport everyday, its more like a little book not of the size of a card. Imagine that between the choice of paying a 2k baht fine and the risk of losing your passport and cannot show it when requested. The other risk is when there is heavy rain ; a passport is not waterproof. Thai authorities should seriously think of issuing a photo ID card for expats (of a different color to those of Thais) which expiry should be according to their length of stay. It will be then easy to differentiate between tourist and expats living in thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand
  • Like 2