Hua Hin Immigration clarifies rules on foreigners carrying ID

This is worse than what was reported yesterday. Not at all convenient to be carrying your original passport with you everywhere.

Can ThaiVisa check about the requirements for other major cities?

I agree! I get their point but sometimes I'm just going up the soi for food, or for a run, or to the gym. These activities clearly require a PP. When out for the day or such I carry it. But I sure prefer other ID and photocopy.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pol.Col. Thanasak confirmed the following:

1. By law, all tourists and expats nationwide are required to carry their original passports with them at all times. There is no exception to this. Failure to carry your original passport may result in a 2,000 THB fine. The reason behind this is that Immigration needs to keep track of overstayers and foreign criminals who may be staying illegally in the country.

This is utter bullshit.....

I will continue to keep a photocopy of my passport in my wallet. 

• Like 1

Almost nobody will comply with this passport requirement, especially if they have visas which are going to take a considerable effort to replace.

If I lost my passport right now I believe it could take a few months and several trips to Bangkok just to get a replacement, once I've got that I then have to think about getting my visa replaced.

Not going to happen.

I always carry a copy of my passport photo page visa stamp and abode...with 5x100B notes ( in 2x200 plus a 100 for leverage). My homemade insurance policy.
From my experiance, most local traffic coppers are happy with the copies. The Baht notes ease the process.
More than happy to provide my original passport....nothing to hide....but it will take me a number of hours to get from the bike hire shop.
Perhaps I should opt for the 5kB deposit plus a passport copy on the bike......actually it makes more sense.
Am learning.

It is only the Passport that tells anybody if you are legally in the country, no other ID card tells whether you have a Visa or have done you 90 day reporting

I think not correct. Both the resident visa and the police book should show this.

I sense a rising rebellion of farangs against injustice, rightly so. You will stomped into mud. Thais and this government in particular don't care one bit for us or apparently even our money now. Immigration knows full well 'we' do not carry passport for good reasons. Why do I feel this is directed toward "western" type farangs and not Asian? Paranoia, yea that's it, paranoia. I foresee a lot of Issan women losing their ATM's. I won't be carrying my passport on me either, I will carry an extra 2,000 baht. The reality of things is we have no power, we have to wait and see and perhaps activate those dusty contingency plans we thought we would never have to use.

And are you going to ask for a receipt for your 2000thb fine???
Do you think you can pay your fine and walk away without them seeing your passport???
Either the BIB are going to be busy with the Immigration guys on their shoulder or this will be a bust exercise.

replace passport cost 125.00 fine about 75.00 take fine how about this if asked and don't have but have copy of passport get ticket go to nearest police station with original passport show it and get ticket stamped that correct passport shown no fine farang save guards pp and comply with law.

Hmm, that's less than good, let's hope he's wrong, changes his mind or that this is solely a Hua Hin issue.

It is not only inconvenient, but extremely risky to carry your passport all the time. It is inviting the wrong sort of people to attack ferangs in order to steal a passport, and carries a big risk of losing it. I can understand wanting to clean up the illegals, but this way surely is inviting more crime from those that want to traffic in stolen passports?

replace passport cost 125.00 fine about 75.00 take fine how about this if asked and don't have but have copy of passport get ticket go to nearest police station with original passport show it and get ticket stamped that correct passport shown no fine farang save guards pp and comply with law.

blink.png

• Like 1

Ahh - so will each Immigration office now provide their own interpretation on the "rules on foreigners carrying an ID"?

Maybe this will also translate to Thai police issuing a varying interpretation of foreigner financial penalities (= pay raise for Thai police)?

So think tourism going up this year afraid not watch the cancelled hotels and flights here now the buck will talk now. After 50,000 ,000 million dollar loss it will change. Up side the ladies will be begging for customers.

• Like 1

It is only the Passport that tells anybody if you are legally in the country, no other ID card tells whether you have a Visa or have done you 90 day reporting

Your DL have your passport number on and they can use that to check. Again its not a problem that they are enforcing the law but the question is if this law is not outdated. If they had a proper IT system they would be able to get a daily printout of overstayers and send immigration to detain them. If they cant find them at the adress provided issue a arrest warrant. But to expect tourist to go to the beach, diving, snorkeling, elephant tracking, white water rafting etc etc with their passport on them is not realistic. Sorry but I think its someone that wants to impress his boss and that it will not be implemented. This morning we passed a road block and was not stopped.
  • Like 1

In every country the rule is the same but who is really going to the beach with his passport and which country is really enforcing this to a fine? How much worth a stolen passport for criminals and have you an idea of the hassles in case a tourist loses his passport? Which tourist really want to lose his passport in Thailand? I hope the police force will be flexible with this rule (as all countries are) especially regarding the fine or is this measure to extort the tourists money ? By the way is extortion not criminal offence? You, who make the rules should put yourself at the position of legit tourists and not treat them as criminals at first... We see that Big Generals are in power... What s the next measure?

"in every country the rule is the same"? Utter nonsense. I assume you are Thai or you would know better.

• Like 1

I'll take the 2,000 baht fine.

Carrying around a passport as identification is utter nonsense, people on non-b /retirement visa etc. should be issued an ID card 

I agree that after a certain amount of time, say three consecutive annual extensions, expats could be issued an ID card. I've been here for 10 years on retirement extensions, but I'm really just a tourist -in the eyes of the law- and technically must carry my passport with me at all times. One of the reasons I'm considering moving back to the USA.

Really? Your considering moving back to the USA because of the law that is very rarely if ever actually enforced. 

It will be enforced now as army are in charge so everything is more controlled. And if its a clear rule I would think the police love this,stop every farang and they will make more cash.

Whatever they may require I will never carry my passport on me. Robberies are frequent in tourist areas and if my passport gets stolen it will be a massive pain in the ass to restore it together with all the stamps. Last thing I want us to be stranded in a 3rd world country with no documents and thus unable to travel.

On a side note. I am from Spain and you are obliged to carry a valid ID on you at all times. The fine is 50 euros if you fail to present an ID when asked by the police. Never happened to me but a friend of mine was fined once. Edited by Jaysisaket

blink.png

and what would stop someone from not turning up with passport especially if you have spent the last 5 - 10 years avoiding detection - seriously ?????  read my previous post especially the first line

The "new" regulations are totally in line with International Practices.  In Indonesia, if stopped without your original passport, your next stop is the Police Station.  You can wait for someone to bring you your original passport then they slap a fine for not having your passport wih you.  I'm all for having original documents with you all the time.  It may help weed out some undesirables.  Just my 2 Baht worth.  Flame if you wish, but the Law's the Law.

There is therapy for Stockholm syndrome you know ??

hehe. Nice

Law? Uhmm.. Right now there is no law, because there is no constitution - people can't even vote on approving or rejecting the new constitution. However, there is still Marshal Law, if you want to count that as ... well "law"... And only one party that gets amnesty according to the draft constitution. So, yeah I think everybody is basically forced to attach their PP to their body 24/7 and hope that it doesn't get lost or stolen.

And a Thai ( darker colored human being ) don't need to carry an Id ?  not logical....

Just Say you Thai but don't speak it lol........

My Sons are white colored but speaks Thai/Isaan without falang accent........they can possible go on at a checkpoint...

Edited by NoBrains

Almost nobody will comply with this passport requirement, especially if they have visas which are going to take a considerable effort to replace.

If I lost my passport right now I believe it could take a few months and several trips to Bangkok just to get a replacement, once I've got that I then have to think about getting my visa replaced.

Not going to happen.

Exactly, and depending on circumstances you could easily end up on overstay.

I understand the need for ID and a Thai DL is exactly that. This reqmt to carry a passport when you already dib dib dib every 90 days is an absolute nonsense

555 this is real genius!

Now, every Farang in Thailand who wants to rent a motorbike has to leave with the renter: his passport.

This just makes it so much easier for police to pay the rent in no time: Just stop any (and all) Farang on a motorbike, ask for passport and: Bingo!

Couldnt have set it up better myself ;)

In every country the rule is the same but who is really going to the beach with his passport and which country is really enforcing this to a fine? How much worth a stolen passport for criminals and have you an idea of the hassles in case a tourist loses his passport? Which tourist really want to lose his passport in Thailand? I hope the police force will be flexible with this rule (as all countries are) especially regarding the fine or is this measure to extort the tourists money ? By the way is extortion not criminal offence? You, who make the rules should put yourself at the position of legit tourists and not treat them as criminals at first... We see that Big Generals are in power... What s the next measure?

"in every country the rule is the same"? Utter nonsense. I assume you are Thai or you would know better.

I am not Thai but can you point me a country where you can theorically circulate without a valid ID ?

Edited by sunray69

I'm just in the process of applying for a visa for India. As I live in the South, it will take me 3 (THREE) flights to Bangkok, to finally get the visa.

Just the normal crazy Indian bullsh***.

My passport will be in Bangkok for approx. 8 days (without me). 

So, my question to the Immigration officers is: How can I please apply for a visa without breaking the law?

So .... those criminals who steal passports and sell them on will know for certain that EVERY tourist and expat will definitely be carrying a passport.  I reckon muggings and pickpocketing will skyrocket - these passports are worth a fortune.

Are any of the moderators able to pass on this information to the appropriate authorities with a little more clout than one of us complaining privately?  That would be an ideal situation and ask for clarification that the authoriites realize they are going to create new form of dead-simple-100%-guaranteed-success crime?

Edited by The Deerhunter