What Costs Are Involved In Becoming A Monk

Soundguy

Hey, I feel a bit cheap and lame for asking this. But a really good Thai mate is going to become a monk, maybe for 3 months, but more likely for ever. His family are broke farmers and have dropped hints that he needs a bit of money to pursue what I thought is a very cheap vocation.

Apart from robes, maybe sandals, one of those care packages from macro and the bus fare back home what other expenses is he going to encounter?

I'm just concerned I'll give too little and be asked for more, with the loss of face for all, or too much and the family will just have a massive piss up in his "honor"

Hey, I feel a bit cheap and lame for asking this. But a really good Thai mate is going to become a monk, maybe for 3 months, but more likely for ever. His family are broke farmers and have dropped hints that he needs a bit of money to pursue what I thought is a very cheap vocation.

Apart from robes, maybe sandals, one of those care packages from macro and the bus fare back home what other expenses is he going to encounter?

I'm just concerned I'll give too little and be asked for more, with the loss of face for all, or too much and the family will just have a massive piss up in his "honor"

you know the drill already by the sound of it,

pissup, head shaved, and into the wat, money happens at the house in an envelope in my experience.

Hi

I had previously purchased a little book called "Ordination Proceedure" which is put out by the Mahamakut Rajavidyalaya Press, and available in the bookshop opposite Wat Boworn in Bangkok.

However, there are differences in the wording used by the two nikaya (schools) in Thailand. The Mahamakut are the smaller Dhammayutika Nikaya, while the larger Nikaya is the Mahanikaya.

I ended up ordaining in a Mahanikaya Wat, so before I left I asked a monk for a copy of the proceedure for this school. I can probably email acopy to anyone in need.

Still, I found there were slight differences in wording to what I had. I also had to learn how to pronounce the Pali in the way the Thai's pronounced it. eg. 'v' becomes 'w', 'Dh' becomes 'Th'. eg Sadhu is pronounced 'Sathu'.

Regards

Bankei

Still, I found there were slight differences in wording to what I had. I also had to learn how to pronounce the Pali in the way the Thai's pronounced it. eg. 'v' becomes 'w', 'Dh' becomes 'Th'. eg Sadhu is pronounced 'Sathu'.

Regards

Bankei

For those not familiar with the Thai language...the 'Th' sound in Thai is pronounced like the 'Th' in 'Thai'......not like the 'Th' in the English words 'this, that, these, those...' Thais don't always differentiate well between 'Dh' and 'Th' in pronunciation...at least not to a western ear.

Edited by chownah

• 13 years later...
On 12/23/2019 at 1:52 PM, mekong.star said:

my adopted son will become monk soon. i have been told i need to contribute 300,000 baht.  i don't understand this.

It's all about Thai "face".  When I ordained, I didn't do nothing.  A Thai person I knew donated the robes and the bowl.  Maybe a couple hundred baht in an envelope to the senior monks.  Other than that, zilch.  I stayed for 7 years.  Same temple in Lopburi province.  

• Like 2

There are two "T" sounds in Thai: one is aspirated but not voiced (Thahan) and one voiced but not aspirated (Taw.)  The unaspirated "T" sound is formed by the tip of the tongue on the alveolar ridge just above the teeth.  There is a voiced "D" sound in Thai which is formed by the flattened tongue on the alveolar ridge (Dek.)  The Thai character for each is different.

21 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

There are two "T" sounds in Thai: one is aspirated but not voiced (Thahan) and one voiced but not aspirated (Taw.)  The unaspirated "T" sound is formed by the tip of the tongue on the alveolar ridge just above the teeth.  There is a voiced "D" sound in Thai which is formed by the flattened tongue on the alveolar ridge (Dek.)  The Thai character for each is different.

WTH? 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2006 at 11:24 PM, camerata said:

After you get over the initial hump (initial costs) what are the ongoing costs assuming you remain ordained for the long haul (aiming for awakening)?

I'm visualizing that there would no longer be any income, nor assets remaining with which to fund anything, having renunciated attachment to such things??

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2019 at 2:31 AM, khaowong1 said:

II didn't do nothing.  A Thai person I knew donated the robes and the bowl.  Maybe a couple hundred baht in an envelope to the senior monks.  Other than that, zilch.  I stayed for 7 years.  Same temple in Lopburi province.  

What were your operating costs after the initial ordination, over the 7 years?

9 hours ago, rockyysdt said:

What were your operating costs after the initial ordination, over the 7 years?

Actually, there are no operating costs that I can remember.  If I needed a new pair of flip flops, they were donated, If my robes got ripped, they were donated.  I had a room to sleep in, food to eat, water to drink.  All studying materials were donated, even the ones in English.  My hair was cut every month on the full moon, soap and toothbrushes and toothpaste was donated.  We had a small stand on our temple grounds that sold soda's, chips and candy bars for visitors,  normally, some monks would gather there after the evening chanting period and someone always bought us a coke.  Rocky, I can't think of a thing we actually needed money for.  There were some monks that had cell phones and someone had to buy extra minutes for them.  But nothing by and large required any of us to have money in our pocket, which most of us never had.  If we were going somewhere to pay respects at another temple, we always had a ride and someone paying for the petrol.  We were sometimes given money on bind a bot rounds by the public, but that money always went into the temple fund.  We didn't keep any of it.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I see we are considering the financial side when you mention costs.

However, there are non-financial costs too. Such as, only one meal a day and no pu$$y. Nope, I would not last one day.

No worries. Buddhists dont know the concept of sin.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

Actually, there are no operating costs that I can remember.  If I needed a new pair of flip flops, they were donated, If my robes got ripped, they were donated.  I had a room to sleep in, food to eat, water to drink.  All studying materials were donated, even the ones in English.  My hair was cut every month on the full moon, soap and toothbrushes and toothpaste was donated.  We had a small stand on our temple grounds that sold soda's, chips and candy bars for visitors,  normally, some monks would gather there after the evening chanting period and someone always bought us a coke.  Rocky, I can't think of a thing we actually needed money for.  There were some monks that had cell phones and someone had to buy extra minutes for them.  But nothing by and large required any of us to have money in our pocket, which most of us never had.  If we were going somewhere to pay respects at another temple, we always had a ride and someone paying for the petrol.  We were sometimes given money on bind a bot rounds by the public, but that money always went into the temple fund.  We didn't keep any of it.  

QUOTE: to have money in our pocket, which most of us never had. 

How did you cope with those fake monks?

14 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Thanks for your reply K.

One of my ambitions is to take the plunge and devote my life to practice.

My current life is far from satisfying.

If I did take this path a major concern revolves around visa costs, passport renewal costs, as well as medical and dental.

These would be the big hitters for someone without money.

How did you go with these issues?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rockyysdt said:

Thanks for your reply K.

One of my ambitions is to take the plunge and devote my life to practice.

My current life is far from satisfying.

If I did take this path a major concern revolves around visa costs, passport renewal costs, as well as medical and dental.

These would be the big hitters for someone without money.

How did you go with these issues?

"Visa costs, passport renewal costs, as well as medical and dental."   Here is where I am going to get a lot of flack.  I was retired.  I got a Social Security check each month from the U.S. Govt.  It went into a bank account of which I had a Visa debit card which I used for those incidentals.  And only those incidentals.  I never used it for anything else.  Except my airplane travel when I came back to the US.  When I first started in 2007, they had a so called "Monk" visa available, they discontinued that and now foreign monks have to get a "Ed" visa to stay.  That was a pain in the tush.  There was a high ranking monk in Bangkok that I knew personally who helped me get that.  My Thai was and is not so good, I can get by, but I for some reason got really good at the Pali chants.  When I had to go see a immigration official, I would break out the Pali blessing chants and everything was smiles and roses.  ????  I had to go see a doctor a couple of times, and I would take my Visa debit card, give it to this nice temple follower that I knew whom spoke English, and he would go to the bank for me and get the money I needed to pay the hospital for me.  Here's one thing I would recommend to anyone who doesn't speak or read Thai.  If you live in Thailand, find a temple who's abbot and several monks speak good English.  If you don't live in Thailand, find a local temple, preferably a Thai temple, who's monks and abbot speak really good English.  It will save you a lot of headaches.  When you get to the point of really wanting to give it a try, talk to me.. I'll give you some pointers about where to find books in English that you will need.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: to have money in our pocket, which most of us never had. 

How did you cope with those fake monks?

Truthfully, I never actually ran into any.  It's not like as a monk you get to wander around all over the place.  Only the abbot was allowed to do that.  We were always, if out away from our home temple, only just going to some religious event.  Not hanging out on the corner.  My temple was about 10 miles out in the country away from any size city.  I can't recall any of the monks at my temple having more than 20 baht in his pocket at anytime.  

• Like 1

@khaowong1 What's career mobility for long-term monks like? can they readily move between temples, go on trek (Thudong) does the abbot at your local temple decide? How much does the Sangkha organization in the province knows of each monk in a temple, do you get performance review or job posting to know if there's a temple that's in need of monks to move there?

And what about Thai temples in other countries?

someone with English skills like yours must be needed?

If you have time, please recount your experience about your time spent on ;missions' abroad, I have little experience with some Thai temples in a couple of western countries, some are just barely houses and holding together by the sheer support of the locals. 

On 12/24/2019 at 3:52 AM, mekong.star said:

my adopted son will become monk soon. i have been told i need to contribute 300,000 baht.  i don't understand this.

Neither do I....his first lesson in life should be to work for what he wants and not expect others to pay his way...that one simple lesson will stand him in better stead for the rest of his life, more than anything he will learn in the Temple.

On 1/1/2020 at 1:54 AM, khaowong1 said:

"Visa costs, passport renewal costs, as well as medical and dental."   Here is where I am going to get a lot of flack.  I was retired.  I got a Social Security check each month from the U.S. Govt.  It went into a bank account of which I had a Visa debit card which I used for those incidentals.  And only those incidentals.  I never used it for anything else.  Except my airplane travel when I came back to the US.  When I first started in 2007, they had a so called "Monk" visa available, they discontinued that and now foreign monks have to get a "Ed" visa to stay.  That was a pain in the tush.  There was a high ranking monk in Bangkok that I knew personally who helped me get that.  My Thai was and is not so good, I can get by, but I for some reason got really good at the Pali chants.  When I had to go see a immigration official, I would break out the Pali blessing chants and everything was smiles and roses.  ????  I had to go see a doctor a couple of times, and I would take my Visa debit card, give it to this nice temple follower that I knew whom spoke English, and he would go to the bank for me and get the money I needed to pay the hospital for me.  Here's one thing I would recommend to anyone who doesn't speak or read Thai.  If you live in Thailand, find a temple who's abbot and several monks speak good English.  If you don't live in Thailand, find a local temple, preferably a Thai temple, who's monks and abbot speak really good English.  It will save you a lot of headaches.  When you get to the point of really wanting to give it a try, talk to me.. I'll give you some pointers about where to find books in English that you will need.  

Thanks K.

I always thought that once you are ordained the Sangha pays for everything (medical, dental, travel, documents)!

That certainly blows away the mystique of choosing ordination as a path to Awakening?

I guess the important question is, how far did you get towards Awakening, and did Monkhood facilitate your progress?

As Awakening and escape from Samsara is everyone's goal, why did you bail?

Thanks for your frankness.

R

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 9:52 AM, mekong.star said:

That's outrageous!

when I ordained many years ago the main expenses were the robe and bowl, probably only a few thousand all up for all of the gear.  In addition to that the monks who officiated in the ceremony each received an evelope with about $1000 baht in it (which they hopefully gave to their steward to handle).

Holding big lavish parties, if that's what the money is being used for, doesn't seem in keeping with an ordination.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brucenkhamen said:

That's outrageous!

when I ordained many years ago the main expenses were the robe and bowl, probably only a few thousand all up for all of the gear.  In addition to that the monks who officiated in the ceremony each received an evelope with about $1000 baht in it (which they hopefully gave to their steward to handle).

Holding big lavish parties, if that's what the money is being used for, doesn't seem in keeping with an ordination.

I agree.  I seen many lavish parties.  Another of those Thai face things.  And the majority of the time, these guys were just going in for maybe 3 months.  Ridiculous.  

Throwing a village party either ordination or wedding, the family is expect to at least break even or have some profit from the invitation envelopes returned with money. 

Being ordained even for a short time, if the temple in good area has many events such as funerals and outside blessings, the monks get the envelope for 3-400 baht per event over the course of the month, without room and board to pay, when they disrobe after a couple of months, the could get a solid chunck of money to start off in life. If there's enough monk in the temple, but being the new guy probably don't get much call out to events.

Now with the new year blessings, businesses call out the monks to their premises for breakfast alms, many would return with truck full of donations, yellow buckets full of mama noodles and such... seem very wasteful, and this is in addition to the normal almsround