What Costs Are Involved In Becoming A Monk

Soundguy

3 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

If you get into Wat Pah Nanachat, let us know how it was.  

Oh I will ... but first stop'll be Suan Mokhh a short while after I arrive. Pah Nanachat is more likely in 23 ... my plans have mutated as often times as the 'deleted' virus - and the government u-turns ..

oh well, ... uncertainty and impermanence ... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BusyB said:

Oh I will ... but first stop'll be Suan Mokhh a short while after I arrive. Pah Nanachat is more likely in 23 ... my plans have mutated as often times as the 'deleted' virus - and the government u-turns ..

oh well, ... uncertainty and impermanence ... 

When do you expect to get to Wat Suan Mokhh? 

On 7/3/2006 at 4:04 PM, bankei said:

I recently became a monk, and was shocked at what it ended up costing me when I added it all up.

Firstly, you will need some white clothes, a shirt and a sarong. You will then need all the requisits of a monk such as robes, bowls etc. Ohter optional things include pillows, towels, umbrella etc.

Thai often have large 'parties' (not sure what to call it) before ordaining, so sometimes a band is hired, large umbrella for the ordinand, Tent and chairs may need to be hired, and maybe a microphone if the Wat doesn't have one. Maybe even a professional photographer.

Then there is the gifts to the monks participating in the ceremony. There are generally around 11 monks and generally a monetary gift is given of around 200B to each monk with the Preceptor (upatcha) usually receiving around 2000B, the other 2 senior monks around 1000B.

Often small trays of gifts are given to all these monks as well (probably around 200B) with the important monks getting more expensive gifts here too.

After the ceremony, often drinks are presented to the monks while they are still in the bot.

From there, the family usually gifts lunch to the monks. In my case, all the monks in the Wat, about 20 monks. Often there is another gift given to the monks at lunch, including the monks that already had received a gift. This includes money and/or small packages (of toothpaste, soap, etc).

While I was a monk, I participated in one ordination ceremony of a rich man (the Mayor's son). They really spent lots of money, had a traditional band, expensive luch and lavish gifts (I received 400B that day). My own ceremony was a lot smaller, but it ended up costing me around 40,000B all up. This included a donation to the Wat as well.

However, there is no requirement to spend money at all. The temples are all full of old bowls and robes-left overs from short term monks. I tried to keep the donations to the monks to a minimum, but my Thai friends/family were a bit concerned (maybe of their image??) and the minimum I could get away with was a donation of 1500B to the Upatcha.

Being a farang, all the monks were expecting a lot more from me in gifts etc.

One more thing, there are more gifts, flowers etc needed when the disrobing happens. I think 5 monks are present and each is usually given a monetary gift of around 200B.

Hope this helps.

Bankei.

Yeh but with the scams and money laundering that many monks get up to surely the rate of return on the initial expenditure is far greater.