August 29 - heavy new penalties await visa overstays: Thai Immigration

webfact

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In before the 29 pages of "but my case is different than the hundreds of others asking about the same thing with the same details as me" posts that are sure to follow.

Of those 70k over-stayers last year (and 30k so far this year) I wonder how many are for over-stays of less than 2-3 days ? TAT claims 26.7 million tourist arrivals in 2013, so 70,000 over-stayers would represent about .0026% of that total (a quarter of 1% of the total). Doesn't seem quite the massive problem requiring draconian measures as it sounded before.

i was one ..had a 2 day over stay due to plane delay over technical problems (plane was not even in thailand)

• Like 1

70,000 overstayers in one year. That puts things into perspective somewhat! Good riddance to the beach bum pot head scum bags that give the law abiding visa legal folk a bad name!

LOL first time ive been called that...even when i ran my business here the 50+ staff none never called me that? (most prob much worse)
Terry, my comment not directed at chaps like you. A good number of the 70,000 are no doubt generally law abiding and have just fallen foul of a few days or a week or two. I am talking about beach bum pot head scum bags!
  • Like 1

70,000 overstayers in one year. That puts things into perspective somewhat! Good riddance to the beach bum pot head scum bags that give the law abiding visa legal folk a bad name!

LOL first time ive been called that...even when i ran my business here the 50+ staff none never called me that? (most prob much worse)

I hope you never miss your flight, get ill or heaven forbid have a flight cancelled due to some unforeseen problem like ...MH17.......remember over stay in only 48 hours
See post #14 please......

terryp post # 18

im actually looking forward to tomorrows press release as this is getting more stupid by the day...I can feel a huge clarification (U TURN) about to arrive

You may well be right  the consequences may not be those which  were or are expected vis a vis tourism.

• Like 1

Thailand gone too crazy for my likings these days and still they didn't do too bad with fines last year 1414300000THB.

I hope they put the money to good use...

Sent from my S2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by NickyBurma

im actually looking forward to tomorrows press release as this is getting more stupid by the day...I can feel a huge clarification (U TURN) about to arrive

I don't think so, things are about to get worse.

Last month I was stopped 3 times driving Udon Thani - Khon Kaen and at one road block had to go to the ' payments table ' manned by a Major and a Sub-Lieutenant.

The major was quite happy with the photo-copy of my passport but did ask why I didn't carry the original so I explained my fear of losing it and the resulting ball ache of a hassle.  He was amazed that my current document was obtained via the Hong Kong route and had cost over Bt.8,000 and his amazement grew when I told him about the new system which would require me to go to BKK twice.

All he could say was " Crazy " and when driving away I had quite a chuckle at the thought of a Thai official describing another country's bureaucracy in such terms.

Incidentally I never did find out why I was sent to the table other than possibly the language problem. Ii didn't have a licence but the Major said he wasn't gong to fine me !

The biggest problem was everyone freaking out because I have a vinyl cover on the flatbed of my pickup and needing to have a peek to see what I was carrying,  only boring emergency equipment I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Terry, my comment not directed at chaps like you. A good number of the 70,000 are no doubt generally law abiding and have just fallen foul of a few days or a week or two. I am talking about beach bum pot head scum bags!

What a strange attitude. Ain't seen any of them creatures in a dozen years, so they aren't exactly thick on the ground in the general community. Mostly I see hundreds of tired, lonely men who drink and drive.
  • Like 2

What a strange attitude. Ain't seen any of them creatures in a dozen years, so they aren't exactly thick on the ground in the general community. Mostly I see hundreds of tired, lonely men who drink and drive.
So you see hundreds of 'bums' a proportion of which might well be potheads, and therefore in my view are most likely scum bags that give the law abiding, visa legal folk a bad name! Edited by iancnx